Gameday Tigers

Game Thread: LSU vs Arkansas 2023 (6:00 pm ... ESPN)

Nutriaitch

APB: Missing ... LSU DBs ... particularly CBs.   Sure didn't resemble #DBU last night.

I'll give Kelly and Denbrock credit for not going conservative at the end of the first half. To me, playing to win and getting a score right before half time set the tone for the offense in the second half, and the O was relentless. Its gonna have to be unless the defense get it going. 

I'll take a win against the Hogs.  Always (not really) seams to be drama when we play them.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Big T said:

That isn't what the internet says but either way he should be on the field

Yes its been reported that he can play safety, nickel or corner but he's listed as a safety on the roster.  He bulked up after the spring and is now 6' 1" #201 up from #185.. BK is not shy about playing true freshman. I suspect if Toviano was ready to play and could help the team, he would be on the field. I'll trust the guys who see him in practice every day to make that call.  Personally I've never seen him practice or play so I don't really have an informed opinion on whether he should be playing now.  Without a doubt we need help in the secondary.

23 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Yes its been reported that he can play safety, nickel or corner but he's listed as a safety on the roster.  He bulked up after the spring and is now 6' 1" #201 up from #185.. BK is not shy about playing true freshman. I suspect if Toviano was ready to play and could help the team, he would be on the field. I'll trust the guys who see him in practice every day to make that call.  Personally I've never seen him practice or play so I don't really have an informed opinion on whether he should be playing now.  Without a doubt we need help in the secondary.

100% agree. My question was more of what is going on with him? Is he possibly not as good as advertised? I figured we'd see him with as horrible as our d backfield is. Guess that we don't tells us what we need to know

Edited by Big T
typo

I have seen Toviano on the field, I think against Grambling.  He's a freshman, I think physically he's ready, but does not know the scheme well enough.  It took the great Patrick Peterson half a year to take the starters job, I think Nootch reminded us about that.  If you don't know the scheme well enough, we would see more busted coverages.  That is pretty complicated stuff moving from high school to college.  Ideally you would not have to depend on freshmen, but as depleted as the roster was Kelly has to look for help wherever he can find it.

On3 shows him as a 4*, 59th ranked player in the country, 5th rated safety, and as Hatcher said, came in at 186 lbs, now 201.

https://www.on3.com/db/javien-toviano-58038/

I think he has to learn the scheme, that's just me.

We put in 5* Lance Heard at right tackle against Grambling, he looked good.  Emery Jones started at RT against Miss. St. and he gave up some missed blocks.  they put in Heard, moved Jones to RG, and they abused Heard.  Moved Jones back to RT quickly.  Heard is clearly physically able, but he didn't know who to block.  It's the mental part of the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

I have seen Toviano on the field, I think against Grambling.  He's a freshman, I think physically he's ready, but does not know the scheme well enough.  It took the great Patrick Peterson half a year to take the starters job, I think Nootch reminded us about that.  If you don't know the scheme well enough, we would see more busted coverages.  That is pretty complicated stuff moving from high school to college.  Ideally you would not have to depend on freshmen, but as depleted as the roster was Kelly has to look for help wherever he can find it.

On3 shows him as a 4*, 59th ranked player in the country, 5th rated safety, and as Hatcher said, came in at 186 lbs, now 201.

https://www.on3.com/db/javien-toviano-58038/

I think he has to learn the scheme, that's just me.

We put in 5* Lance Heard at right tackle against Grambling, he looked good.  Emery Jones started at RT against Miss. St. and he gave up some missed blocks.  they put in Heard, moved Jones to RG, and they abused Heard.  Moved Jones back to RT quickly.  Heard is clearly physically able, but he didn't know who to block.  It's the mental part of the game.

Heard didn't play against Arky and it's for the exact reasons you noted. 

Greg Brooks is sorely missed. We noted in the preseason podcast the secondary was going to be the biggest issue. 

Now that we see that issue and it's exacerbated by Brooks' absence, it's all the more important for the DL to get pressure. 

Personally I'd be starting Wingo and Jefferson in the middle, Jones and Swinson outside, Penn, Perkins, and Weeks rounding out the front 7. Womack would be on standby. 

I trust Harris and Zy are the best CBs, but I may give Yaites or Toviano a shot to play safety if not start. I'd sure be pushing them in practice to step up. 

• Like 2