Gameday Tigers

Coach O, Big Raise And Contract.

LSUDad

LSU football coach Ed Orgeron to receive big raise in new contract extension, records show

lsuricefootball0157.111818 bf

LSU coach Ed Orgeron acknowledges the fans as the Tigers walk down Victory Hill before LSU's game against Rice in Tiger Stadium on Saturday Nov. 17, 2018, in Baton Rouge.

ADVOCATE STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

A two-year, $4 million extension for LSU head coach Ed Orgeron is on the agenda to be approved by LSU Board of Supervisors on Wednesday, according to documents the university released Monday.

The board meets on Wednesday at 9 a.m.

Orgeron is two seasons into his current contract, which is set to expire on Dec. 31, 2021, in which he is making $3.5 million per year — a figure that ranked 36th nationally among FBS head coaches, according to USA Today, and 10th among head coaches in the Southeastern Conference.

The new figure would rank Orgeron 24th nationally, tied with Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente, and it would rank eighth in the SEC.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little more:

After a successful second season as the Tigers’ full-time head coach, LSU is prepared to sign up for two more years of the Ed Orgeron experience.

LSU’s Board of Supervisors is set to approve on Wednesday a 2-year extension for Orgeron, which includes a $500,000 raise and an additional $400,000 in incentives.

This chart, provided by SI.com’s Ross Dellenger, breaks it down handily:

Ed-O.jpg?resize=640%2C514

480.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=200&width=355
Sponsored By Connatix

The extension would also increase Orgeron’s buyout, to $10 million, then decreasing $250,000 a month through March 2021, where it would sit at $4 million through the end of the contract. Orgeron’s original contract called for a two-way buyout, starting at $12 million and dropping to $1 million over the life of the deal, which would make both sides equally liable for breaking the contract. One would assume this extension would continue that arrangement.

Orgeron’s current buyout was approximately $6 million; and would have been down to $1 million in 20 months. Not real sure what leverage Orgeron had on LSU’s administration to get this big bump (should they decide to make a change); but good for him.

Additionally, LSU is set to approve a 3-year contract for new passing game coordinator James Brady at $400,000 per year, according to Brody Miller of Nola.com. Jerry Sullivan, LSU’s previous passing game coordinator, made $450,000 in the same position.

Safeties coach Bill Busch is also set to take in a $50,000 raise, to $425,000, after multiple schools made runs at him for their defensive coordinator vacancies, according to Miller.

LSU went 10-3 in 2018, winning the Fiesta Bowl and finishing with the No. 6 ranking in the AP poll, the school’s highest year-end ranking since a No. 2 finish in 2011.

One part that sticks out: 

Safeties coach Bill Busch is also set to take in a $50,000 raise, to $425,000, after multiple schools made runs at him for their defensive coordinator vacancies, according to Miller.”

I think many major college coaches are overpaid relative to what they do, compared to the knowledge and responsibility that many in industry shoulder.  But at the end of the day, football is in the entertainment industry, and that industry can generate extreme profits, and they can afford to pay extreme salaries, whether we like it or not.  There is a certain warfare among the top 20 schools for coaches and they keep escalating the salaries.  A&M made the first big splash back in the '80's, paying Jackie Sherrill the (at the time) unheard of salary of $280K per year for a 6 year deal (then they gave Fisher 7.5 million a year for 10 years, all guaranteed).

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/20/sports/texas-a-m-signs-sherrill-to-richest-college-pact.html

A few months back I was not in favor of giving O an extension, but I have changed my mind.  We may not like the salary structure in college coaching, but it is what it is.  Last year, the performance of the team was way above 10th in the SEC, O's former salary position.  This raise is not outrageous in coaching land, and he is still making a significant discount to Saban and Fisher, only up to 8th in the SEC.  I heard the lack of contract extension indicated LSU was not happy with O, at least that was a story being told to recruits.  And when you turn in a very good season, much higher than the pre-season predictions, I would say a raise is in order, not a very high one, but a decent raise.

The $10 million buyout will not be paid.  It goes down each month, and I think O is safe for at least 2 years.  In 2 years it would be reasonable for major college football coaches.

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

A few months back I was not in favor of giving O an extension, but I have changed my mind.  We may not like the salary structure in college coaching, but it is what it is.  

the same results got his predecessor fired. 

just saying. 

this administration made it perfectly crystal clear in 2015/2016.  3rd place in the West with 3 losses and a shitastic offense is an absolutely fireable offense. 

oh. wait. 

nevermind. i mean it’s raise and extension worthy. 

You'll hate me for this, Nootch...

But the program was static at best if not minor decline. Obviously I agree the search was a joke, but I think we both agree Miles was done in 2015.

Orgeron was bad in 2017 imo, but lsu seems to be at the very least stable, and likely rising at the moment. I expect more improvement in 2019. It's been much less of a disaster than i expected it to be. 

Now can we PLEASE shore up the lines???

8 hours ago, Fishhead said:

You'll hate me for this, Nootch...

But the program was static at best if not minor decline. Obviously I agree the search was a joke, but I think we both agree Miles was done in 2015.

Orgeron was bad in 2017 imo, but lsu seems to be at the very least stable, and likely rising at the moment. I expect more improvement in 2019. It's been much less of a disaster than i expected it to be. 

Now can we PLEASE shore up the lines???

yeah we're "stable" and "likely" rising.

but before dishing out a raise and a fat buyout, can we get to the point where we are "definitively" rising (or actually risen) above the level that got the last guy shitcanned?

"much less of a disaster than i expected" does not equal "holy shyte this guy is elite. lets lock him up now!"

4 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

yeah we're "stable" and "likely" rising.

but before dishing out a raise and a fat buyout, can we get to the point where we are "definitively" rising (or actually risen) above the level that got the last guy shitcanned?

"much less of a disaster than i expected" does not equal "holy shyte this guy is elite. lets lock him up now!"

Let's talk about this "raise and fat buyout".

Now he's paid about 8th highest in the conference and his buyout drops $250,000/ month to $4.5 million at the end of 2020. This is quite likely the only common sense contract LSU has drawn up in the last 10 years, man.  Do you think he should be paid less than a guy like Pruitt and have a lower buyout? I don't, but that's where he is with this new contract. 

Bottom line, given the comparitives, which absolutely play into any contact negotiations, this is a win for LSU moreso than Orgeron. 

31 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Surprised you typed this. This is nowhere NEAR an elite contract or buyout, man. 

really fish.
you don't know me well enough yet to not take my words 100% literally?

what have you honestly seen that is deserving of any raise at all from status quo?

by your own words:

2017 was bad, 2018 going into 2019 is either "stable" or "likely rising" from that.

You're on the opposite end of the spectrum with this. It's nowhere near an outlandish contract or buyout. 

And yes, I'm certain other coaches use contracts to point out a coach won't be at a school for long. A (minor) raise and extension eases that concern. 

3 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

It's nowhere near an outlandish contract or buyout. 

i said it's an unnecessary extension and buyout. never said it was outlandish.

4 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

And yes, I'm certain other coaches use contracts to point out a coach won't be at a school for long. A (minor) raise and extension eases that concern. 

is that why Tom Herman got an extension as well?

8 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

He's two years in, I agree they moved on Ed early-ish, but better now than after he goes 12-1 this upcoming season, which wouldn't surprise me at all. 

wait, what?

you rather extend PRIOR to a great season rather than after? really?

His record shows he's UNDER paid right now, Nootch.  If he went 12-1 this upcoming season they'd be paying him his actual value. LSU came out on top in this one. 

Weren't you just complaining about his huge buyout? Until it was pointed out it's a good, well structured buyout. 

So many things to complain about right now and you're picking this one?

Archived