Gameday Tigers

Rats/Sinking Ship?

Fishhead

Mixed signals coming out this week regarding LSU basketball. 

Will Wade hires a new attorney, the same one that represents Bruce Pearl and Sean Miller.  This is intriguing because BOTH of these coaches are involved in the same FBI trial Wade is involved in, and both are still coaching their respective teams, Pearl in the damn Final Four.  

Also, given this news, snippets are coming out that Wade and Alleva may meet sooner than later, and from appearances, LSU wants Wade to remain, Wade wants to remain, as LSUs Head Basketball Coach. 

Now, mixed signals, right? No shock that Naz Reid announced for the draft, with an agent.  Now Tremont Waters has done the same.  Last year he announced w/o an agent, got his draft grade, and came back.  You can only do that once.  He's gone.  A LITTLE bit of a surprise, but again, not a shocker. 

But today we learn Skylar Mays, a pre-med student with a 4.1 GPA and only one year left of college, has announced for the draft...so far w/o an agent.  Mays is at best a low round draft pick, although he's probably my favorite player on the team.  He is what he is though.  It would be a complete shock to me if he actually left for the draft.  But is the reason for all this due to information the players have that the rest of us don't?

Without these 3, we still have Smart, Emmitt Williams, Darius Days, Marlon Taylor, and a couple other guys that were on the team this season.  We have a couple of decent commits.  But...early signing day is literally imminent, and we don't know if we have a damn coach!  Chances at this point of picking up our MAIN targets are looking slimmer by the day. 

Cause for concern?  You bet!!

You think we can get Alleva and FKing to announce for the draft??

I don't know what to think, but the same thought crossed my mind.

In terms of the player decisions, the only one that makes the most sense is Tremont Waters. 

Reid honestly needs another year and I think he might get chewed up in the NBA initially. Naz needs to fill out / bulk up.

Mays could possibly be back and he should seriously consider returning, but *IF* he gets picked in say the late 2nd round somehow he might make more money up front than he would in a career in medicine.  I think he's rolling the dice to see what his realistic draft projection will be and if it winds up being low, he could opt back to LSU.

On the Will Wade front, I'm hoping LSU allows a meeting without the NCAA present and they find a path forward that allows Wade to remain. I'm not buying into Yahoo Sports' running hatchet job on LSU until sworn testimony in the trial is concluded.

Sky is not close to the 2nd round imo. I'm not even certain he's drafted. 

Naz will likely be a project, but you can't teach 6'10 260 ish with a 3 point stroke. He'll be a 2nd rounder. Tre is late 2nd early 3rd, but honestly not tall enough for the league. I wish him the best though. He's electric. 

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Sky is not close to the 2nd round imo. I'm not even certain he's drafted. 

Naz will likely be a project, but you can't teach 6'10 260 ish with a 3 point stroke. He'll be a 2nd rounder. Tre is late 2nd early 3rd, but honestly not tall enough for the league. I wish him the best though. He's electric. 

I really can't disagree with any of those assessments...I'm hoping Mays is simply testing the waters yet ultimately returns.

• 1 month later...

And they're all coming back!  I knew the rules dictated they could get a grade and go to combine, with an agent, and still come back.  Glad they all did. 

I actually think we'll be better this season than last.  Yeah, I think the SEC Champs will be BETTER this year than last! 

I'm pretty pumped!

Archived