Gameday Tigers

We have a coach again!

dachsie

LSU reinstates basketball coach Will Wade

Updated Apr 14, 8:20 PMPosted Apr 14, 7:40 PM

Gallery: LSU basketball coach Will Wade

226shares

By Amie Just, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

LSU has reinstated basketball coach Will Wade, the university announced in a statement Sunday evening.

Wade denied any wrongdoing in his Friday meeting with LSU and NCAA officials, according to the statement. LSU’s athletic department convened on Sunday and decided to reinstate him.

“Coach Wade’s explanations and clarifications offered during the meeting, absent actual evidence of misconduct, satisfy his contractual obligation to LSU," LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said in the statement.

No concrete details about the meeting were previously released, outside of a short statement from an LSU spokesman saying that no resolution would be achieved on Friday. 

Wade was suspended for 37 days — since March 8 — after media reports detailed a wiretapped conversation between Wade and former Adidas consultant Christian Dawkins. The conversation recorded by the FBI that includes Wade openly speaking about a “strong-ass offer” he made in the recruitment of current LSU guard Javonte Smart in 2017.

The suspension didn’t arise from the reports themselves, but rather how Wade had been suspended and his former counsel declined to meet with LSU and NCAA officials regarding those reports.

Since Wade was placed on suspension, LSU won the SEC regular season title outright, lost in the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament, and then advanced to the Sweet Sixteen before falling to Michigan State under the direction of interim head coach Tony Benford.

LSU’s regular season title was the first for the program since 2009. The Tigers’ run to the Sweet Sixteen was the first in 13 years.

“I regret the circumstances that prevented me from meeting with the University sooner,” Wade said in a statement. “I wish I could have addressed these issues when the University first requested a meeting, and I’m grateful they gave me the opportunity to do so last week.”

So, it brings us quickly to the discussion of dubya tee eff.

The "apology" by Wade looks a lot like it was written by Alleva. 

Wade came forward with his lawyer once it was pretty apparent that his subpoena to testify in a criminal trial was very likely to get tossed and the spin (at least what I read in the Advocate) is that the delay was all Wade's fault and he just "should have come cleaner sooner".

I'm not an attorney, but talking about an upcoming trial in such a way that it could affect any ongoing investigation or trial is kind of as big deal and Wade did not come forward because of the advice of his then counsel.

Meanwhile, the rush to judgement disintegrated the team and if any one of Smart, Williams, and Mays does not return LSU's team doesn't get near another NCAA tournement anytime soon.

It also made LSU the focal point of "dirty teams" instead of the 20 something other teams involved in the scandal - some of whom are way more likely to be penalized by the NCAA than LSU ever will be.

LSU Athletics Director Joe Alleva is expected to step down—perhaps as early as today—from the position he has held at the university for more than a decade, a high ranking source within the LSU System tells Daily Report.

LSU officials declined to comment.

Though Alleva is coming off one of LSU’s strongest seasons in years for its football, basketball, gymnastics and softball teams, among others, the embattled athletics director has been an unpopular figure among fans and, more importantly, boosters, since failing to fire football coach Les Miles in 2015 to ink a deal with Jimbo Fisher, now the head coach at Texas A&M.

More recently, Alleva drew fan ire for suspending men’s basketball coach Will Wade, who was caught on an FBI wiretap investigating a recruitment scandal. Wade was reinstated earlier this week.

While details of Alleva’s expected departure remain murky, sources say a deal is in the works to replace him with a nationally recognized leader in university athletics. That announcement is also expected in the coming days.

Alleva, 65, came to LSU in 2008 from Duke University, where he had served as athletics director. He succeeded Skip Bertman and was chosen for the position from among four finalists by then-LSU President John Lombardi and Interim Chancellor William Jenkins. 

Archived