Gameday Tigers

Music in General

Nutriaitch

not posting any music (yet). just want to highlight the importance of it in life. 

i've always been a music fan. as in i’ve always had it playing in the background. 

a movie about my life might suck as a movie, but would have a KILLER soundtrack. 

and then, somehow after my heart attack, its become even more important to me. 

ive battled depression since that day. something that i had NEVER felt prior.

and music has carried me through this. 

unbelievable the power it has. 

• Like 2

Hang in there Nootch.  Now you have a new lease on life with the changes you have made.  Let the music help you.  You will get through it.  I have fought depression for over 25 years.  do what you need to get through.  Some days will be better than others but look for the good in your life.  🙂

• Like 1

i’m good. 

just that for the first time ever, my mortality is in question. 

and that kinda messes with me sometimes.  

in the last 5 years or so,  had to walk away from playing ball. something that i loved deeply.  i would pay any amount of money possible to play another game. even if it was only one game.   and now this.  

so ive had to deal with not being physically capable of playing anymore, and now it’s not just joints that are effed up. 

Nootch, hang in there buddy!  How about a different game?  I started playing golf at 35, my new boss told me I HAD to buy clubs and take some lessons, since he had his staff meeting once a month on the golf course near the office, Friday afternoon, 1 PM tee time.  I bought clubs, took a few lessons, and I have been a below average golfer ever since, but I love it.  I can do it by myself, or with others.  You never master the game, depending on how often you can play, it comes and goes.  You see guys playing into their 80's!  Just a thought.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 11:46 AM, houtiger said:

Nootch, hang in there buddy!  How about a different game?  I started playing golf at 35, my new boss told me I HAD to buy clubs and take some lessons, since he had his staff meeting once a month on the golf course near the office, Friday afternoon, 1 PM tee time.  I bought clubs, took a few lessons, and I have been a below average golfer ever since, but I love it.  I can do it by myself, or with others.  You never master the game, depending on how often you can play, it comes and goes.  You see guys playing into their 80's!  Just a thought.

spent yesterday at the ballpark with my two sons taking some cuts. been years since the 3 of us was on a field at same time.

wasn’t organized game, but swinging the bat felt amazing. 

took me about 40 swings to get into a rhythm.  and right about the time i felt the groove, i was wore out from being outta shape. 🙄😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Found this place and it looks like a lot of people I’d like to hang with!!! My redhead is not playing sports at the moment but just started guitar lessons. She’s been asking for awhile and I finally caved. Mostly because she casually tells me that she wants to play the first concert on the moon. That’s something I can support!!! 

• Like 3

On 8/17/2019 at 7:45 PM, lsubatgirl? said:

Found this place and it looks like a lot of people I’d like to hang with!!! My redhead is not playing sports at the moment but just started guitar lessons. She’s been asking for awhile and I finally caved. Mostly because she casually tells me that she wants to play the first concert on the moon. That’s something I can support!!! 

Nice. You're lucky it's not clarinet or trumpet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2019 at 4:45 PM, Nutriaitch said:

took me about 40 swings to get into a rhythm.  and right about the time i felt the groove, i was wore out from being outta shape. 🙄😂

I got wrangled into softball tonight. Game starts at 9:15. Umm,  do these people understand bedtimes???

On 8/18/2019 at 9:38 PM, lsubatgirl? said:

Thanks!!! She was singing this is class last year and her teacher couldn’t stop laughing when she told me...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lu9IQHxsrDU

Does she have a guitar yet or is that something you still need to look for?

How old is she? 

Asking because there are some on here that can probably help find that best 'bang for the buck' in terms of getting a good instrument that will be a good learning tool. (This is the part where Batty discloses she's a classically trained guitaris and her daughter already owns a guitar better than anything that will sustain calluses on this funky white boy's fingers.)

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Does she have a guitar yet or is that something you still need to look for?

How old is she? 

Asking because there are some on here that can probably help find that best 'bang for the buck' in terms of getting a good instrument that will be a good learning tool. (This is the part where Batty discloses she's a classically trained guitaris and her daughter already owns a guitar better than anything that will sustain calluses on this funky white boy's fingers.)

She’s 9 and is borrowing a fender guitar for the time being. If she sticks with it I might get her a guitar for Christmas. I never played an instrument and had no clue where to start. 

• Like 2

Best bang for the buck in acoustics is actually Yamaha.

I'm just not up to speed on the 3/4 size models, which is probably size appropriate for her. Find a good, independent acoustic shop to talk to.  At places like Guitar Center, you run the risk of the employees not being altogether knowledgeable...they are likely their for the paycheck or the employee discount (you don't want a drummer giving advice on guitars).

Once you zero in on a model or brand, check Craigslist...often people that decide they want to lear guitar wind up not sticking with it and you might find a relatively unused gutar guitar for like 70% of retail. 

Speaking of drummers...Do you know how to get a drummer off of your porch?

A: Pay him for the pizza.

21 hours ago, Herb said:

At places like Guitar Center, you run the risk of the employees not being altogether knowledgeable...they are likely their for the paycheck or the employee discount (you don't want a drummer giving advice on guitars).

you going to wrong guitar centers. everyone i’ve been too is almost all Guitarists as employees.

problem with them though (in my experience) is that most of them are heavily biased toward their favorite brand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

you going to wrong guitar centers. everyone i’ve been too is almost all Guitarists as employees.

problem with them though (in my experience) is that most of them are heavily biased toward their favorite brand.

Overall, I way prefer giving my business to independent retailers over chain stores.

The nearest GC to me is in Baltimore and the experience there will vary tremendously. I assume this depends on whoever the store manager is at that point in time coupled with whoever the employees are at that point in time.

Example: went there last winter and saw a Washburn that I wanted to play. The guitar had a crack in the top due to bad overall humidity management in the store.  Played the guitar for a few minutes and an employee came up and asked if I was interested in that guitar.  Showed him the humidity crack, he took the guitar from me, gave it a brief visual inspection, then he spent the next 10 minutes playing a disjointed and over all poor rendition of 'Over the Hills and Far Away' by Led Zeppelin before declaring that the crack didn't appear to affect the sound terribly.

I told him that I just wanted to point out to him that the guitar had a defect and politely left.

The next week, I went back and the guitar was back hanging on the wall - crack and all.

However, their high end acoustic room seems to have well cared for instruments but I am not sure I'll ever have confidence to throw down $1000+ on a new guitar there because of the experience with the Washburn (which was still a $700 guitar).  Solid body electrics I'd be okay buying there, but they lost my acoustic business.

The GC in New Orleans also hasn't impressed me. Employees don't seem like they have anything but a superficial knowledge of products and typically have to go "ask the manager" if I ask anything like what is the difference between model X and Y from the same builder.

Like the people who try on shoes at DSW then ordeer them from Amazon, I'd rather kick the tires on a guitar or amp at GC then but it from Sweetwater. 

• 3 months later...