Gameday Tigers

LSU Baton Rouge Regional Set

LSUDad

Baton Rouge Regional set

BySONNY SHIPP 48 minutes ago 

9248363.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

On Sunday, the NCAA selection committee gave LSU fans the news they had waited for with the Tigers hosting a regional.

On Monday, the committee chose the teams that would help represent the Baton Rouge Regional with some familiar names.

No. 13 national seed LSU (37-24) will open up with Stony Brook (31-21) with Southern Miss (38-19) and Arizona State (31-17) on the other side of the bracket with the four team regional. 

The winner of the Baton Rouge Regional will meet the winner of the Athens Regional with No. 4 national seed Georgia serving as the host.

The Bulldogs (44-15) meet Mercer (35-27) while Florida State (36-21) and Florida Atlantic (40-19) make up the rest of the Athens Regional.

If LSU and Georgia hold serve and win their respective regional then LSU will travel to Georgia for the super regional and a ticket to the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

Per an NCAA release, LSU leads all institutions in the field as the Tigers are hosting for the 26th time, while West Virginia is hosting for the first time. Stanford is second in the field, hosting for the 18th time, while Mississippi St. is hosting for the 14th and Oklahoma St. for the 13th time, respectively, since the NCAA went to the regional format in 1975.

Georgia Tech is hosting for the 12th time, but the first time since 2011. North Carolina is hosting for the 11th time, while Ole Piss is hosting for the ninth time. Hosting for the eighth time includes Arkansas, Louisville and Oregon St., with Texas Tech, Vanderbilt and UCLA hosting for the seventh time. Hosting for the sixth time is Georgia, while East Carolina is the destination for the fifth time.

Eight institutions, Arkansas, East Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, Ole Piss, Oregon State, Stanford and Texas Tech, all hosted in 2018.

In addition to the regional announcements on Monday, a pair of top 25 polls updated their rankings with LSU moving up a spot to No. 15 with Baseball America but falling one notch to No. 19 with Perfect Game after a 3-2 showing in the SEC Tournament.

Below is a look at the complete top 25 rankings released by Baseball America and Perfect Game.

Baseball America Top 25

1. UCLA, 47-8, 1
    2. Vanderbilt, 49-10, 2
    3. Stanford, 41-11, 3
    4. Arkansas, 41-17, 4
    5. Mississippi St., 46-13, 5
    6. Georgia, 44-15, 6
    7. Georgia Tech, 41-17, 8
    8. East Carolina, 43-15, 7
    9. Texas Tech, 39-17, 9
    10. Oklahoma St., 36-18, 15
    11. Louisville, 43-13, 10
    12. Ole Piss, 37-22, 21
    13. UC Santa Barbara, 45-9, 12
    14. North Carolina, 42-17, NR
    15. LSU, 37-24, 16
    16. Oregon St., 36-18-1, 11
    17. West Virginia, 37-20, 19
    18. NC State, 42-17, 13
    19. Miami (Fla.), 39-18, 14
    20. Texas A&M, 37-21-1, 17
    21. Fresno St., 38-14-1, 23
    22. Baylor, 34-17, 18
    23. Creighton, 38-11, 25
    24. Indiana, 36-21, 20
    25. Indiana St., 41-16, NR

11COMMENTS

Perfect Game Top 25

I don't think it's that bad of a regional.  Look at ASU's past few weeks.  They were...WERE...a top 10 team and they have a couple good bats.  But they went south pretty bad late in the season. 

USM is decent but not great, finished the season fairly strong. 

Stony Brook is NOT near the team they were in 2012. 

Good thing is who we're paired with, we can beat in a Super.  

Gotta get there first. 

46 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I don't think it's that bad of a regional.  Look at ASU's past few weeks.  They were...WERE...a top 10 team and they have a couple good bats.  But they went south pretty bad late in the season. 

USM is decent but not great, finished the season fairly strong. 

Stony Brook is NOT near the team they were in 2012. 

Good thing is who we're paired with, we can beat in a Super.  

Gotta get there first. 

yeah well, we were a top 1 team. 

and if we still were a top 1 team i would have a lot more confidence. 

however other than games played at Hoover Met, we haven’t played like a top 10 team in 2 full seasons now. 

gonna need some arms to show up. 

17 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

yeah well, we were a top 1 team. 

and if we still were a top 1 team i would have a lot more confidence. 

however other than games played at Hoover Met, we haven’t played like a top 10 team in 2 full seasons now. 

gonna need some arms to show up. 

I agree, and they were #7 right before they did the following to close the season:

"They were 13-16 in their last 29 games."

Not saying they're a gimme.  They have two dudes batting around .350 with 20+ HRs.  That said, you, as the statistician you are, should also realize their stats and their 25-1 record were when they hadn't played anyone.  They're 9-9 against Q1 teams.  LSU has over 20 Q1 wins.  You have to agree LSU and ASU are on different trajectories at this point.  We started #1 and went down fast, while they were beating all the horrible teams they played.  LSU has since improved with better play and is getting healthier pitching, while ASU has imploded, playing sub .500 ball to end the season.  Quite frankly, they're lucky to be a 2 in any regional.  

USM at 3 is more of a concern IMO.  They will beat ASU though.  

I agree based on names it's a tough regional, but based on reality, I thought we got pretty lucky.

11 hours ago, Fishhead said:

"They were 13-16 in their last 29 games."

we were 15-14 in our last 29, so let’s not act like we can talk a ton of shyte on that front. 

coincidentally, we’ve both played the same number of games against National seeds during that stretch. 

and we’re both 3-6 against those teams. 

they can at least boast about having a winning record against teams that didn’t make the field of 64 during that time frame.

we sure as hell can’t say that. 

oh, and before you say anything about schedule strength, we played same number of games vs #1 & #2 seeds. 

and we played more teams that didn’t make the tourney than they did. 

*note: above is referencing same last 29 games brought up in Fish previous post

On 5/29/2019 at 11:14 PM, Fishhead said:

USM at 3 is more of a concern IMO.  They will beat ASU though.  

I stand by my comments. 

ASU is trash at this point and was fools gold early in the season

15-2 USM, still pouring it on

Archived