Gameday Tigers

2022 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

Getting a early start: 

Walker Howard earns LSU offer at Elite Camp

ByBILLY EMBODY Jun 21, 6:41 PM 

2022 LSU legacy and Lafayette (La.) St. Thomas More quarterback Walker Howard camped with the Tigers on Thursday afternoon, earning an offer from the in-state program in the process. The rising sophomore is the son of former LSU quarterback Jamie Howard and has had a strong offseason on the camp circuit. Check out the video above to see why the Tigers entered the mix.

Already holding offers from Alabama, Louisiana-Lafayette, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Tulane and Texas A&M, the 6-0, 163-pound signal caller is set to battle to be one of the nation's top quarterbacks. Alabama, Texas A&M, Tulane and others have hosted him for camp already.

At The Opening New Orleans earlier this spring, Howard clocked verified times of 4.76 in the 40-yard dash, 4.46 in the pro-shuttle and a 31-inch vertical, setting the bar high for his athleticism already as a young prospect.

St. Thomas More already has FBS prospect Caleb Holstein entering his senior season, where he's been one of the more prolific passers in the state over the past two seasons. His brother, Eli Holstein, also figures to be an elite quarterback prospect in the 2023 class as well.

1COMMENTS

Jamie was a four-year letterman for the Tigers from 1992-95, as he finished his career as the third-leading passer in LSU history with 6,158 yards and second in career touchdown passes with 34. Howard started six games played in eight as a freshman, started 10 games as a sophomore, nine his junior year and seven as a senior.

Stick with Geaux247 for Howard's full reaction to his LSU offer and more from Elite Camp as the three-day session wraps up on Saturday in Baton Rouge.

• Like 2

• Herb pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

First verbal for 2022...

LSU lands Top 100 DB Bryce Anderson

BySHEA DIXON 8 hours ago 

9267721.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

The LSU football staff has 23 commitments in for the 2020 class, checking in at No. 3 overall on the 247Sports Team Rankings.

The two commitments in for the 2021 class are Texas four-star defensive end Landyn Watson and Louisiana punter Peyton Todd. 

On Sunday evening, the LSU staff made its first splash in the 2022 class with a verbal commitment from Texas four-star defensive back Bryce Anderson.

Anderson was in Tiger Stadium on Saturday for LSU's home opener, where the Tigers steamrolled Georgia Southern with a 55-3 win. And the defense certainly stood out, holding GSU's offense to under 100 total yards through four quarters.

Anderson landed an offer from the Tigers this offseason before he had even suited up for his sophomore season at West Brook (Beaumont, Texas). Anderson had a huge showing at LSU's annual summer camp, looking the part of one of the best underclassmen to come through Baton Rouge this summer.

He's currently ranked by 247Sports as a Top 100 prospect and the No. 7 safety in the 2022 class. He's also ranked as a Top 10 prospect in the Lone Star State.

The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder is the lone player from Texas on the Top 100 list to not have played extensively on varsity as a freshman. However, he was outstanding on the camp circuit at a handful of different stops this summer, which brought with it plenty of interest from college coaches.

Anderson picked LSU over a double-digit offer list that also included Alabama, Georgia, Texas and Texas A&M. His commitment to the Tigers comes during the same week that LSU will travel to Austin to take on the Longhorns.

• Like 1

BREAKING: Bryce Anderson commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
September 1, 2019
Tweet

Ed Orgeron and the LSU football coaching staff now have their first verbal commitment for the class of 2022 and as had been the trend, he's a big-timer from beyond Louisiana's borders.  

Beaumont-West Brook safety Bryce Anderson‍ who was a standout performer at LSU’s camp in early-June announced his decision via Twitter Sunday evening. 

Recruits react to LSU's win over Georgia Southern (premium)

Center Bradley Ezewiro gives LSU official visit a "10" (premium)

The decision was immediately following a strong unofficial visit to the Baton Rouge campus on Saturday where he witnessed the Tigers win over Georgia Southern.

Following his scholarship offer in June, Anderson told TigerBait.com, “I love LSU and I have lots of family down there”.

Anderson’s father is originally from Baton Rouge.

The 6-foot, 185-pound Anderson committed to LSU over offers from some of the nation’s top programs which include Alabama, Florida, Texas A&M, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma and many others.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More:

BREAKING: LSU lands the No. 1 CB in 2022 class

BySHEA DIXON 5 hours ago 

9536084.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Khamauri Rogers)

The No. 1 cornerback in the country for the 2022 class is now an LSU Tiger.

On Sunday, following an unofficial visit to LSU for the Tigers' 56-20 win over Arkansas in Tiger Stadium, Mississippi four-star cornerback Khamauri Rogersgave his verbal commitment to the LSU staff.

Rogers is ranked as the nation's top cornerback prospect among high school sophomores, checking in as the No. 8 overall prospect in the country on 247Sports. The Holmes County standout is the top-ranked recruit in the Magnolia State for the 2022 cycle.

Rogers has been recruited to LSU by assistant coach Dennis Johnson, who helped spearhead his recruitment over the past year as the Tigers both extended him a scholarship offer this past offseason and reeled in his pledge over the weekend.

“I got a FaceTime call and they said they were about to offer your son,” said Marcus Rogers, Khamauri's father, after the LSU staff made their move with an offer last March. “In the back of my head, this is where he wants to be. When he was six or seven, and plays travel baseball, he said he wants to play at Death Valley and Alex Box.

“My brother is the defensive coordinator at (LSU defensive back) Maurice Hampton’s school. We have known him and his dad our while life because we played together at Jackson State. We always wanted to be there at LSU with them. When it happened, man.

“Coach Johnson and (LSU defensive backs coach Corey Raymond) got on the phone and he couldn’t do anything but smile. It’s a real good deal any time you play DB and the best DB school in the nation offers, so that’s huge.”

On his 247Sports scouting report, recruiting analyst Charles Power said Rogers compares to current Oakland Raider Trayvon Mullen

"Possesses excellent stature and length for a cornerback entering his sophomore season in high school. Should continue adding mass over the next three years of high school and once he's in a college strength and conditioning program. Plays both corner and safety for his high school team. Shows good ball skills in locating, tracking and making plays in downfield coverage. Uses his length to make plays on in-breaking routes. His advanced length also helps in making up a downfield separation deficit at times. Shows solid fluidity and ability to turn and run, but will need to continue honing his technique in man press coverage. Shows some early signs of physicality as an open field tackler and in defending the run. Will need to keep progressing in his overall skill set and athleticism throughout his high school career. Projects as an early top prospect in the 2022 cycle with the upside of developing into a Power 5 starter and possible NFL Draft pick should he continue to progress."

Last season, Rogers totaled 34 tackles and 13 pass breakups as a freshman. As a sophomore this fall, he registered 46 tackles and four interceptions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blast from the past...

LSU offers 2022 QB Walker Howard, son of former Tigers passer Jamie Howard

btnzszrwqddpscwyn7hjJerit Roser • TigerDetails

Walker Howard has exploded on the recruiting trail during the past month.

And, as of Thursday, the talented young St. Thomas More passer will have the opportunity to play his college football close to home, at his father's alma mater.

LSU offered the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Cougars' 2022 standout at the end of the opening day of the program's elite prospects camp.

The Tigers join recent offers from Alabama, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Louisiana-Lafayette, Tulane and Nebraska

LSU offer is extra special for Walker Howard
By Mike ScarboroughJune 21, 201941,182
Tweet Share Jump to Discussion
It's been a whirlwind few months for class of 2022 quarterback Walker Howard‍ of Lafayette's St. Thomas More.  A bevy of scholarship offers started arriving in early May but the one that meant the most arrived on Thursday.  

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound Howard if the son of former LSU quarterback Jamie Howard.  His older sister Meredyth is a LSU freshman volleyball right side/middle hitter. 

Following a superb camp performance at the first day of LSU’s Elite Camp, Howard got the word that he has a spot in the Tiger football program if he wants it.

“Right when we broke camp someone grabbed me and told me that Coach O wants to talk to me and that he’s going to offer me a scholarship,” Howard said. “He told my dad before.  

“It just put the biggest smile on my face just to think about that's where my dad played.  It’s just crazy to think that LSU would even offer me.”

The offer isn’t that crazy as leading up to the LSU offer he had already received major offers from Alabama, Texas A&M and Mississippi State.  Home-town UL-Lafayette was the first to offer in May.

• 3 months later...

Tennessee trio visits LSU ahead of SEC recruiting halt

By SHEA DIXONFri Mar 13 2020

On Thursday, the Southeastern Conference announced all on-campus and off-campus recruiting would be halted until at least March 30 as conference officials monitor the spread of coronavirus cases across the United States. By Friday, the NCAA ruled, per multiple reports, that all recruiting would be suspended until at least April 15.

Simultaneously, the LSU football staff was hosting a trio of out-of-town visitors from the 2022 class, who then became a handful of the last recruits able to visit an SEC campus and meet with college coaches ahead of the decision to suspend recruiting.

Tennessee's Fisher AndersonKeaten Wade and Destin Wade were all on LSU's campus on Thursday when the news was handed down by the SEC.

"We got to do and see everything," Anderson said when sharing photos of his unofficial visit on social media. "We were blessed to be able to be there right before all other visits were cancelled."

The trip was able to give the trio an up-close look at the defending National Champions, a visit that included a tour through the locker room and updated operations building, the chance to watch the football team practice, a chat with head coach Ed Orgeron, a tour of campus and more.

Anderson, a 6-foot-6, 257-pound sophomore offensive tackle, is ranked as an early Top 100 prospect on 247Sports, checking in as the No. 8 offensive tackle in the 2022 class. While Anderson is being recruited out of Franklin High, the Wade twins are being recruited by plenty of college programs coming out of Summit High in Spring Hill. 

"I met Coach O, which was nice," Destin Wade said of the visit. "It was a surreal feeling. And, he told us he has twins."

"It went really great," added Keaten Wade. "I loved it there. All the coaches seemed interested in us, and their spring practice was fun to watch. It was very cool. I saw the new locker room and saw they put up the new banners. The atmosphere was really different. I liked it."

While he circled the atmosphere in Baton Rouge being different, so was the timing of the visit.

For the trio, they were some of the lone recruits to be on an SEC campus when the news was handed down by the SEC that recruiting would be suspended for on-campus and 0ff-campus contact with prospective student-athletes.

"It was a little bit (weird)," Keaten Wade said. "I was just grateful we got to visit just in time before we couldn't. But for sure, it is wild."

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey weighed in on the decision during his time with the media in Nashville following the cancellation of the SEC Tournament.

"We did have conversations about recruiting (changes) I referenced and have stopped off-campus and on-campus recruiting for a period of time," Sankey said. "That could be extended. I've identified the NCAA needs to fully engage on this issue as well."

Division I Bowl Subdivision teams are currently in the NCAA's quiet period, which limits recruiting to in-person contact on the member institution's campus. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts or evaluations may be made during the quiet period.

6COMMENTS

But if the NCAA's ban on recruiting is suspended deeper into the month of April, changes will likely then have to follow with the NCAA recruiting calendar.

The 2020 evaluation period begins for teams on April 15 and lasts through May 30. It's a critical time for the in-person evaluation of recruits on high school campuses, which could be closed to students from state-to-state depending on how the coming weeks play out with officials and the coronavirus. It should be noted that during the evaluation period, no in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts are allowed with prospective student-athletes, though in-person contact is allowed with high school coaches and others.

• 3 weeks later...

LSU lands commitment from Texas 2022 safety Bryan Allen Jr.

lw4zurvpajdrtmqambnu

kaw74mbmwsexsvwrfruf
Julie Boudwin • TigerDetails
Staff Writer

We might be in an NCAA dead period until May 31 thanks to COVID-19, but that hasn't slowed down LSU's recruiting efforts.

The Tigers picked up a commitment on Thursday morning from Texas 2022 safety Bryan Allen Jr. 

I decided to commit to Louisiana State University 💜🐯 !! LSU #GeauxTigers

View image on Twitter

• Like 1

BREAKING: Four-star Texas safety BJ Allen commits to LSU

• by Billy Embody
  • 13 minutes ago

9636574.jpeg

2022 Aledo (Tex.) safety Bryan Allen, Jr. is already a Top 100 overall prospect on 247Sports and announced a commitment to LSU on Thursday.

"I decided to commit to Louisiana State University," Allen wrote on Twitter. "LSU #GeauxTigers"

The four-star prospect is one of the most productive players in Texas high school football and is state champion having won this past season with the Bearcats.

His trip to Baton Rouge was last summer, getting to spend time with safeties coach Bill Busch long before LSU won the National Championship.

"It was great, had a good visit," the 6-0, 183-pound defensive back said. "Checked out the new locker room, just hung out with some of the staff. I could definitely play for him and that's before they won the Natty. It was pretty cool to watch those guys ball all year. They earned it. He's straight forward.

"I love the way they use the safeties. I could really ball out in that system."

247Sports ranks Allen as the No. 52 overall prospect in the country, No. 2 safety nationally and No. 5 overall prospect in Texas. Allen made 122 tackles, one tackle for loss, two forced fumbles, three interceptions and returned two of his three fumble recoveries for touchdowns during the 2019 season.

Here's a look at his 247Sports scouting report from recruiting analyst Gabe Brooks:

"Owns the requisite build and frame for a Power Five safety prospect. Lean and athletic with space to eclipse 200-pound plateau. Strong production as a sophomore for perennial Texas power and 5A D-II state championship team. Shows impressive anticipatory traits. Diagnoses quickly vs. run or pass.

"Closes fast downhill and is willing participant vs.the run. Flashes impressive pursuit ability to the perimeter. Solid tackler who takes good angles. Arrives with purpose and provides the occasional big hit. Displays promising recovery speed. Natural center fielder in coverage. Disruptive at the catch point.

"Two-sport athlete who runs track (100 meters, 200 meters, relays). Adequate tester who plays faster than testing times. Will need to continue to hone man coverage technique and reps. Adequate ball skills but can get better. Elite safety prospect nationally in the 2022 class. Projects to high-major level with long-term NFL Draft potential."

He's been clocked at a 4.74 40-yard dash, 4.43 pro-shuttle and a 32-inch vertical jump as just a sophomore in 2019 at The Opening regional in Dallas.

Allen joins LSU's 2022 class that is already No. 1 in the country on the 247Sports Team Recruiting rankings. Allen joins three-star Shreveport (La.) Green Oaks wide receiver Decoldest Crawford, four-star Lexington (Miss.) Holmes County cornerback Khamauri Rogers and four-star Beaumont (Tex.) West Brook safety Bryce Anderson in the early goings of the cycle.

Anderson is the nation's No. 4 overall safety in the country, giving the Tigers two of the top four safeties in America.

LSU Football: Elite 2022 offensive lineman expected to land with Tigers

by Zach Ragan31 minutes agoFollow @zachTNT

LSU football looks like the team to beat for an elite in-state 2022 offensive lineman.

2022 four-star offensive lineman Will Campbell is already one of the top recruits in the nation and it looks like he’s destined to end up as a member of LSU’s football team.

Campbell, 6-foot-5/270 lbs from Monroe, LA (Neville), is rated by 247Sports as the No. 2 player in the state of Louisiana and the No. 3 offensive tackle in the nation. He’s also rated as the No. 47 overall 2022 recruit.

Geaux247 reported this week that “a lot would have to go wrong” for Campbell to not end up at LSU. According to their report, Campbell is a lifelong Tigers fan and several folks in his family are LSU season ticket holders.

The offer from LSU, which came last October, was basically the offer that Campbell was waiting to receive.

But with that said, Campbell is still going to check out some other schools and enjoy the recruiting process. And I think that he should. Recruits only get one chance to live this experience. They might as well make the most of it and get to know other coaches and programs. You never know when a relationship formed at another program could pay off down the road (life is often about who you know).

However, when it’s all said and done, there’s almost no doubt that Campbell will be suiting up to play for Ed Orgeron in Baton Rouge.

As for Campbell’s abilities on the field?Buy Now!

Well, there’s a reason that LSU is making the four-star recruit a priority. And it’s not just because he’s from Louisiana.

247Sports midland region recruiting analyst Gabe Brooks describes Campbell as a player who “shows consistently good hand placement and keeps his mitts inside targets”. Brooks also says that Campbell is a “high-major offensive tackle prospect with terrific tools and long-term potential to reach the NFL Draft”.

The Tigers currently have four players committed to their 2022 recruiting class.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WATCH: LSU WR commitment JoJo Earle

• by Shea Dixon
  • 16 minutes ago

9738922.png

The LSU football staff landed a huge commitment this week when four-star wide receiver and Top 100 prospect JoJo Earle shut down his recruitment process and committed to the Tigers.

The 5-foot-9, 170-pounder who is ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the No. 13 wide receiver in the country and No. 72 overall prospect in the class. He checked in even higher on the 247Sports rankings, landing at No. 68 overall as the nation's No. 8 wide receiver prospect in this past week's Top247 update.

Earle had a lead group of Texas, Georgia, Oklahoma and TCU, but the Tigers quietly recruited the four-star prospect and were able to land his verbal pledge.

Over the past two seasons at Aledo, Earle has been one of the country's most dynamic prospects with the ball in his hands.

As a sophomore in 2018, he was named the District 5-5A-II Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore and helped Aledo to a 16-0 record and the Texas 5A D-II state championship. He caught 65 passes for 1,090 yards and 16 touchdowns on the year, adding 25 carries for 266 yards and three touchdowns.

This past fall, Earle helped Aledo to a 15-1 record and second consecutive Texas 5A D-II state championship, and his stats were even more impressive than the year prior. Earle finished the 2019 season with 84 catches for 1,601 yards and 15 touchdowns while rushing for 429 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Here's what 247Sports recruiting analyst Gabe Brook said about Earle following his junior season this past fall, where he compared the newest LSU commitment to New York Jets wideout Jamison Crowder.

"Below average size with limited frame but flashes dynamic playmaking ability," Brooks said. "Quick-footed, nimble, and sudden on the field. Functionally sudden athlete on the gridiron with virtually limitless route-running ceiling thanks to agility and burst. Runs to open space. Encouraging feel for leveraging DB's. Gets on top of corners in a hurry and flashes very good top-end play speed. Does not need to gear down much to change direction.

"Stellar production as a sophomore for the Texas 5A D-II state champion led to spectacular numbers as a junior for repeat title team. Shows encouraging hands-catching acumen. Doesn't allow ball into his body and will go get it in contested situations. Adjusts well to the ball in flight and tracks deep balls naturally. Capable of lining up in in the slot, out wide, and in multiple backfield roles depending on personnel. Return game option. Two-sport athlete who runs track. Lack of ideal size limits physical ceiling and shrinks catch radius. Slight build could affect long-term durability. Plenty fast but can still get faster in long speed.

"Could become a multi-year impact Power Five starter with potential to reach the top half of the NFL Draft."

You can check out Earle's impressive highlights in the video at the top of the story.

Rivals250 WR JoJo Earle commits to LSU over Oklahoma, Texas, TCU

mgml9hpqznmiriniqehy

Sam Spiegelman • Rivals.com
Recruiting Analyst

THE SITUATION

Yet another one of the country's most sought-after recruits has reached a decision.

JoJo Earle, a Rivals250 wide receiver out of North Texas powerhouse Aledo High School, committed to LSU. The Tigers edged out Texas, TCU and Oklahoma for the four-star prospect.

Earle is the second player on Aledo's roster to commit to LSU. He joins fellow four-star 

Bryan Allen, one of the Tigers' early pledges in the 2022 class.

Earle is one of the nation's premier slot receivers. He boasts an impressive offer sheet featuring most of the college football bluebloods. LSU was amongst Earle's early offers last summer after a breakout sophomore campaign and has routinely maintained a presence in the receiver's lead group. However, it's worth pointing out that LSU was a bit of a dark horse in a race that included Oklahoma, Texas and TCU, schools that have routinely been able to get the Dallas-area prospect on campus on multiple occasions.

Earle was in Baton Rouge for LSU's home tilt against Florida, which was a big weekend for Coach Ed Orgeron and the team's top targets from North Texas. Top quarterback target Garrett Nussmeier was also on hand for that game along with 2022 wide receiver Armani Winfield. 

Despite being a native of the Lone Star State, Earle fancies himself as an LSU fan. He also got an early look at the 2019 LSU offense in Austin when Texas and the Tigers squared off in Week 2 of last season. Three LSU wide receivers eclipsed 100 yards receiving in the victory with Earle soaking it all up from the sidelines.

"LSU uses their wide receivers," Earle previously told Rivals. "They had (three) wide receivers over 100 yards (vs. Texas) and both (offenses) throw a lot to their receivers. They have been checking up on me, seeing how I'm doing, how school is going and starting up conversations, laughing and having good conversations and stuff."

A return trip to Baton Rouge was in the cards for Earle this spring before the CoVid19 pandemic led to an ongoing NCAA dead period. 

icons_rivalsdatabase_modal_icon-09d74c9f6ebcc83cb0a94ef792a69ba648c051e8558216ce4858fedc95a355a3.svg
jozau4aawabvnp6ytnui

NATL
ST
POS

UNDECIDED
5'9" 170 LBS WR 2021
ALEDO
ALEDO, TX

RIVALS REACTION

Earle is lightning in a bottle and one of the premier slot receivers in the country. He possesses elite speed and quickness and is a sharp route-runner with soft hands and is a big-play threat waiting to happen. As a sophomore, Earle managed 65 receptions for 1,090 yards and 16 touchdowns receiving and 19 overall. Last season, he improved those totals to 84 catches for 1,601 yards and 15 touchdowns receiving. Earle also added another 429 yards and 11 touchdowns on the ground, bringing his touchdown total to 26 along with more than 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

On the football field, Earle has been a key cog in Aledo's back-to-back Texas Class 5A D-II state championship marches each of the past two postseasons. The Bearcats went a perfect 16-0 Earle's sophomore season and repeated with a 15-1 mark in 2019.

Earle gives the LSU coaches some flexibility and creativity as a versatile receiver to plug in out wide, in the slot, in the backfield and to be utilized as a return specialist. He's a home-run threat with gadget-play potential, which makes for some exciting football. 

Despite a smaller frame (5-foot-9, 170 pounds), Earle possesses top-end speed and often accelerates after the catch. He's a run-after-catch specialist with exceptional twitch and elusiveness in the open field. Earle has the ability to turn a three-yard slant into a 70-yard touchdown, particularly due to his quick feet and capacity to easily change directions in an instant. Those same traits allow Earle to be equally as dangerous when it comes to kickoff and punt returns.

Earle will enjoy plenty of success in the slot as a smart, polished route-runner. He explodes in and out of his breaks and consistently separates from defensive backs in 1-on-1 settings. Even though he's a smaller receiver, Earle has a rather large catch radius and very certain hands. He also has impressive vertical skills to challenge for contested balls in mid-air and the red zone. 

Earle checks off all of the major boxes while evaluating wide receivers. He's a vertical threat that can take the top off a defense from the seams or outside the numbers. The Aledo coaches use him in the slot, in the backfield and as a Wild Cat quarterback, where Earle showcases rare field vision, elite speed and the ability to keep defenders off-balance. On tape, Earle routinely proves that he cannot be corralled in the open field if left one-on-one with a defender.

The Rivals250 slot receiver is best suited to get the ball and make plays in space. He makes devastating, decisive cuts with the rock and can kick into a second gear. He has the ability to be both a safety valve for his quarterback and a downfield threat, in addition to being a cheat code for gadget plays.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

LSU Football: Tigers may be the team to beat for nation’s top 2022 recruit

by Zach Ragan12 hours ago
LSU Football head coach Ed Orgeron and the Tigers (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

LSU Football head coach Ed Orgeron and the Tigers (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

LSU football could be the team to beat for the nation’s top-rated 2022 recruit.

2022 five-star defensive end Shemar Stewart is rated by 247Sports as the No. 1 recruit in the nation, and LSU football may be the team to beat for the elite Florida native.

Stewart, 6-foot-5/236 lbs from Opa Locka, FL (Monsignor Pace), is a dynamic two-sport athlete who compiled 15 sacks in 2019 as a sophomore.

247Sports director of scouting Barton Simmons describes Stewart as a player who “controls and sheds blocks effectively against the run”.

Simmons also notes that Stewart is an “impact Power Five starter with the potential to be a first round NFL Draft pick and a candidate to be a future No. 1 overall pick”.

The NFL comparison for Stewart, according to Simmons, is Kansas City Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones.

Why is LSU football the perceived leader?

Andrew Ivins, a Miami insider for 247Sports, recently made a “crystal ball” prediction for Stewart to LSU.

Ivins wrote that “some connected to the recruitment believe that Ed Orgeron’s program might hold the inside track to eventually landing Stewart’s signature”.

Buy Now!

Georgia and Ohio State appear to be the other programs strongly in the mix for Stewart, who recently took a “virtual visit to LSU” (he’s yet to physically visit Baton Rouge).

There’s still over a year to go in Stewart’s recruitment, so a lot of will change in the coming months. The visits will be key.

Though I still expect LSU to continue to be one of the favorites for the elite defensive end.

No one develops defensive lineman quite like Coach O and the Tigers. If Stewart’s focus is on development and getting to the NFL, there likely isn’t a better choice than LSU.

The Tigers currently have four players committed to their 2022 recruiting class.

2022 Recruit Emeka Megwa Explains Growing Up an LSU Football Fan and Why the Tigers Were His “Dream Offer”

Megwa wants to prove he’s an “all-around” back in junior season
By Glen West , Jun 6, 2020
LenwkKSa-720.jpg

When he was younger, Emeka Megwa didn't watch too much football, college or pros. The 2022 running back, who's turned into one of the better running back prospects in the country didn't start watching until his first coach, Robert Pope, turned on the TV to an LSU game.

Pope and fellow coach Rhett Taylor were mentors for a young Megwa, who was just starting out in his football career and eventually turned him on to the Tigers.

"I didn't know too much about football and he [Pope] was a big fan of LSU which kind of helped me get into not only football but become an LSU fan as well," Megwa said. "I used to always go over to his house and he would always point out guys like Leonard Fournette on the LSU team. Ever since then, LSU's a place I wanted to be."

Megwa has since become a star at Nolan Catholic High School in Fort Worth, Texas and has some of the top programs in the country wanting him to join their 2022 class. Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State, Penn State and Washington are schools that have not only offered Megwa but have also expressed the most interest in the Fort Worth native.

LSU focused on Megwa fairly early in the recruitment process, offering him of May, 2019. Megwa was at school when his high school coach put the Tigers on the phone to give him the news.

"That was my dream school and that was my dream offer and I was really excited," Megwa said. "It was really one of those first offers that genuinely excited me."

Since that time, Megwa has made sure to keep in consistent contact with coach Ed Orgeron as well as running backs coach Kevin Faulk. Faulk really likes that Megwa is a big back, comparing his frame, coincidentally, to that of Fournette. While Megwa certainly has seen a lot of Fournette highlights in his day, the two running backs he closely studies are Le'Veon Bell and Marshawn Lynch.

Whether it's running between the tackles or catching passes in the backfield, Megwa believes his sophomore tape really showed just the kind of talent he is and wants to continue to grow into a more explosive back.

"I don't want to be known as just a big, bruising back, I want to be known as an all-around back," Megwa said. "I feel like my vision is already pretty good and that's honestly one of the most important things a running back needs. No matter if you're big, fast, small or slow, if you can't read the plays, then you're not going anywhere."

In order to become the player he ultimately wants to, Megwa said he'll wake up, go for a run and then later in the day, head over to a local gym where a number of Division I players work out, including Nana Osafo-Mensah, a defensive lineman at Notre Dame. 

After the workout, he'll train with a few of his coaches on running back specific drills. All of the various workouts he goes through on a daily basis are in a consistent effort to get faster.

He's not had numerous conversations with Faulk and Orgeron since his offer but also was able to make his first trip to Baton Rouge back in March for Junior Day, one of the last recruits to visit before the coronavirus induced dead period.

"I thought there were only going to be like 20 people there but there ended up being a lot more so I didn't really get too much time to talk with the coaches like they wanted to," Megwa said. "We did watch practice and that was lit."

As far as the future for his recruitment as it pertains to LSU, Megwa said he's hoping to get back down for a game in the fall but hasn't locked in on a specific date. 

"That's probably the best fan base that I've seen, the crowd is always crazy," Megwa said. "They have a great history of successful running backs and I'd be playing in Baton Rouge so it would honestly be a dream come true."

• Like 2

Top 2022 Louisiana Quarterback Walker Howard to Commit on Friday

Glen West

9 hours ago

Walker Howard, one of the 2022 class’ top quarterback prospects is set to make his college decision on Friday at 11 a.m. The St. Thomas More quarterback out of Lafayette spent the last two seasons backing up Caleb Holstein, who is a Louisiana Tech Commit.

Howard, the son of former LSU quarterback Jamie Howard, told LSU Country his thoughts on staying in state for college.

“LSU is where I've been raised, I'm a Louisiana boy so that's a really awesome opportunity for me."

There are currently no quarterback commits in the 2022 class. Howard is currently the No. 3 ranked quarterback in the class according to 247Sports.

• Like 2

For 10 years we've said that to attract the top QB's, we had to change the offense to a scheme where they thought they could develop and showcase their talent to the pros, and compete for championships.  They have to believe they can develop a skillset that is attractive to pro scouts so they can get a good payday down the road.

We changed the offense, and we are capable of competing for championships.

Top QB's, COME ON DOWN!

Geaux Tigers!

• Like 2

BREAKING: Quarterback Walker Howard commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
June 12, 2020
Tweet

Class of 2022 quarterback Walker Howard‍ of St. Thomas More in Lafayette has made his college decision and he's keeping the family legacy by choosing LSU.

In a “must-see” heartfelt video, Howard talks about his journey and decision.

Howard’s father Jamie was a quarterback at LSU from 1992-1995, older sisters Allyson and Meredyth  are both currently students at LSU.  Meredyth is on the Tigers volleyball team. His late-mom Kathryn was also a LSU graduate.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Howard committed to LSU over dozens of offers that include Alabama, Texas A&M, TCU, Nebraska, Baylor, Mississippi State, Ole Piss, USC, Penn State and many others. 

Howard is one of the most gifted quarterbacks the state of Louisiana has seen in several decades with his strong arm, accuracy and 40-time in the 4.6’s.

With Howard’s commitment, LSU now has five commitments for the class of 2022. He’s a consensus national Top-100 prospect and one of the top three quarterbacks in his recruiting year. 

• Like 1