Gameday Tigers

2022 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

4 hours ago, Herb said:

That is just for incoming HS recruits. If you change the pull down at the top from "Recruits" to "Overall", it factors in the Transfer Portal. LSU becomes the 6th best class when you do that.

This is far from over, Kelly and Polian will continue within the Transfer Portal, it’s easier to evaluate talent there, than to rely on high school tape. Players in the portal know what they want in a college and staff, not as much NIL. The previous staff, mainly shutdown recruiting, Kelly had to start over. Kelly would pick up a 5* player at ND, rarely. Mainly 4* and lower, you see his player development and attention to detail. I looked back on a few years, at times he had 15 Sr’s in his two deep. Players stay and develop, they want the education, they know when it’s time to enter the draft. 

We have a number of open slots. Keep an eye on a number of positions, before and after Spring. 

To address the NIL, some schools are saying, we will pay you, but you have to stay 3 or 4 years to get the full amount. For Jimbo to get on his soapbox and say NIL had nothing to do with the number 1 class? They haven’t won a NC in football since 1939. An I’ve been knowing Jimbo since the mid 90’s. It’s been fun to see NIL put a damper on recruiting. 

Call him old school, but Bill Arnsparger once had a recruit tell him, well this school wants to pay me this much, Bill got up, told the kid, we are no longer recruiting you. One of the coaches on his staff told me, I couldn’t pay a kid, I was trying to raise my own, barely had enough money for that. Many of my friends say, they were too early in the hire, now coaches are really getting good money! 

On 2/2/2022 at 12:33 PM, houtiger said:

I read that of the players in the transfer portal, only 50% have gotten an offer from a new school.  Looks like it is not a solution for everyone.

The reason for this is because there are simply not enough scholarships available for "destination schools" to absorb the number of players that enter the portal.

Every player can enter the portal one time without having to sit out a year. But schools only have a base of 25 football scholarships to offer in any year.

Unless guys that are entering the portal are willing to play without a scholarship, there has to be a school willing to burn one of their scholarships to give to that player. That usually means that the player in the portal has to be better than a player already on that school's roster or better than any incoming HS player that 'destination school' offers a scholarship to.

The only alternative is if a school has "leftover scholarships' to offer when the recruiting cycle is over. LSU has a few of those now and will look for players in the portal that the feel can make the team and add depth to positions of need.

Right now, you can sign 25 high school kids and replace up to 7 scholly's of players who entered the portal and in fact transferred to another school.  I believe  on the first 25 scholly's, you could take 23 high school kids and 2 portal transfers if you choose to, or 22 +3, as long as you don't go over 25.  Beyond that, if you had zero players transfer out, you cannot sign any players out of the portal once you have signed your 25 scholly's for the year.

I am guessing that you can put your name in the portal without penalty?  If nobody offers you a better job, then I guess you can stay at your current school and keep your scholly.  (although I suspect it may increase the odds of "being processed" after spring practice)

24 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Right now, you can sign 25 high school kids and replace up to 7 scholly's of players who entered the portal and in fact transferred to another school.  I believe  on the first 25 scholly's, you could take 23 high school kids and 2 portal transfers if you choose to, or 22 +3, as long as you don't go over 25.  Beyond that, if you had zero players transfer out, you cannot sign any players out of the portal once you have signed your 25 scholly's for the year.

I am guessing that you can put your name in the portal without penalty?  If nobody offers you a better job, then I guess you can stay at your current school and keep your scholly.  (although I suspect it may increase the odds of "being processed" after spring practice)

We have 15 players out of High School, 12 in the portal, for a total of 27. We have 5 spots left. Doubt they use all 5, but they will use most of those spots. The staff will be very selective, they will also have WalkOns usage. We are still under the 85 total number. 

Javen Nicholas!!!!

Signed with LSU as a preferred walk-on out of St. Aug in New Orleans. Doesn't even have a recruiting profile on 247. Is completely unranked and off the recruiting radar. Frank Wilson and Cortez Hankton got him on board. 

Kids has a 4.2 GPA. Was given the #5 at St. Aug which is awarded by Leonard Fournette himself for a playmaker who also leads with great character at St Aug. 

His HC was previously the OC at Karr and said Nichols is very similar to Aaron Anderson. 

Watch these freaking highlights. Almost 1600 total yards and 18 TD as a senior. Im not saying he is going to be as good as anyone above him or even make an impact on the field for the Tigers. But there is no way you don't watch his highlights and think to yourself... THIS KID ISNT EVEN RANKED?!?!?!

• Like 1

LB Kolbe Fields transfers to LSU

• by Matthew Brune
  • 4 hours ago

LSU has added transfer No. 13 to its 2022 class in linebacker Kolbe Fields. The Louisiana native spent one year at South Carolina before entering the transfer portal in late January and committing to the Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

Fields attended Archbishop Rummel in high school and was rated .8614 by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, ranking him as the No. 81 linebacker in the class and No. 24 player in the state of Louisiana. He held nine offers before signing day in 2021 and decommitted from Memphis in January before signing with South Carolina in February of last year.

• 3 months later...

From Dandy Don today, I think that fills the class.

Turning to football, a couple of Class of 2022 players announced their commitments to LSU yesterday. One is tight end MJ Frazier (6-5, 245), the older brother of LSU offensive lineman Miles Frazier. MJ graduated from North Carolina A&T earlier this month and will join LSU as a graduate transfer. Another player who announced his commitment to LSU on social media is Malachi Lane, a 6-0, 205-pound athlete (LB/RB) from Smithson Valley High School in Spring Brach, Texas. My guess at this point is that they are both preferred walk-ons, though I haven’t yet confirmed. 

• Like 1

Speaking of the two potential preferred walk-ons, just last week BK was asked about walkons who did well in the spring.  He didn't name anyone, but said he and the staff were evaluating the walk-on program.  He said for him, a walkon should have the potential to earn a scholarship someday.  The implication sounded like if they evaluated that some current walkons did not have that potential, they would no longer be members of the team.  I'm not sure if we'll hear of any of those changes, but the changes continue to come.

• 2 weeks later...

From Dandy Don today:

In football news, LSU has begun welcoming the remainder of its 2022 Signing Class to campus. Shea Dixon of 247Sports reports that there are not expected to be academic hurdles that would prevent any from enrolling, which is great to hear. Dixon also writes that coach Brian Kelly and his staff are bringing in five preferred walk-ons. These include:

QB: George Hamsley (Memphis University School)
WR: Javen Nicholas (St. Augustine)
DL: Kells Bush (Edna Karr)
DL Wes Woodward (Catholic High)
K: Trey Finison (Northwestern University)

My understanding is that these new enrollees will be on the nutrition and weight lifting programs, but there are no organized practices.  You hear about the QB and WR working a lot to get their timing down during the summer.

I remember the quote from Vince Young at Texas the summer before they won their natty, he told the team, "everyone who wants to win the national championship, meet me on the practice field at 5 PM!".  Everyone showed up!

• Like 1