Gameday Tigers

2022 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

11 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Agree HT, O has done well with his recruiting. I was at Capt Brads again today. A couple of Aggie players and coaches, joined me today. They had their Spring Game today. aTm lost 3 OT’s, a OC and an OG, from last years OL. 

I would enjoy some revenge on those suckers this year!!!

I remember an interview with O, probably after the national signing day after his interim coaching year, or maybe after his first year.  He lost some top recruits to Saban.  They asked him how he thought it went.  O said he was pleased with the class (what else was he going to say), and on the kids he missed, he had not been at LSU long enough to build his relationship with them.  He said you start recruiting the stars in eigth or ninth grade, you stay in contact, build a relationship.  He said today's kids think if you don't stay in contact, you don't think much of them.  But in the end, it is all oriented to one thing, TRUST.  If you are going to get his signature, he has to trust you, that you will treat him fairly.  I have to believe one of the best testimony to O was Joe Burrow's Heisman acceptance speech.  That put a giant feather in O's cap, from a Heisman winner on national TV.  You can't even BUY that endorsement!  Now O has had time to build those relationships with the star players, and the last couple of years, he has signed all the 5* coming up in La.  Excellent work!

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Five-star DL Shemar Stewart arrives for LSU official visit

ByBILLY EMBODY 15 hours ago

2022 Monsignor Pace five-star defensive lineman Shemar Stewart arrived in Baton Rouge Thursday night for his LSU official visit, which begins on Friday. The Top 10 prospect will stay until Sunday before hitting numerous other programs for unofficial visits this summer.

In addition to LSU, Miami, Clemson, Georgia, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Ohio State and others are heavily in the mix for him. Stewart plans to take numerous visits next month as the dead period lifts.

On 247Sports, he's the No. 5 overall prospect in the country, No. 1 defensive lineman in the nation and No. 2 prospect in Florida. Here's a look at his 247Sports scouting report from 247Sports southeast recruiting analyst Andrew Ivins.

"Looks like a grown man out on the edge. Was mistaken by one recruiter for a college senior when he was a high school freshman because of his size. A legit 6-foot-4, pushing 6-foot-5. Added over 20 pounds of mass to his frame between junior and senior seasons. Still room, however, to get bigger as he’s a tad on the leaner side.

"Owns one of the longest reaches out of any pass rusher in the entire 2022 cycle with a wingspan that stretches well over 80 inches. Uses that length to his advantage. Has shown on tape that he’s capable of wining both inside and outside. Initial burst allows him to quickly work his way into the backfield.

"Does a nice job of keeping his feet moving while feeling out a situation. Powerful enough at the point of contact to walk back an offensive tackle and flush out a pocket. Not much of a finesse player at this stage in the development, but can execute a dip or rip to get around different obstacles. Tends to play with a high pad level, which can result in missed tackles.

"Has the foot speed to hawk down ball carriers, but needs to play through the whistle on a more consistent basis and be a difference-maker outside the hashes if he’s going to reach his full potential. Must also get more flexible. Burst onto the scene as a sophomore when he totaled 15 sacks facing stiff competition week in and week out down in South Florida. 

1COMMENTS

"Nagging shoulder and knee injuries, however, derailed a majority of his junior season. Rare physical traits and elite testing numbers suggest that he could blossom into an all-conference type of player at a Power 5 program and eventually an early pick in the NFL Draft if everything comes together. Has a chance to remain out edge, but future might be as an interior pass rusher as his body is starting to trend that way."

• Like 1

The anti-Coach O crowd is lying in the weeds waiting. He ain't watching you.

There has been some shakeup at the top of the 247Sports Team Rankings for the 2022 recruiting class, and now the LSU Tigers have the No. 1 recruiting class in the Southeastern Conference.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-Tigers-football-recruiting-2022-class-rankings-No-1-in-SEC-247Sports-166329511/

• Like 1

June has usually been a good month where LSU has picked up 3 or 4 quality commitments out of the camps, while the kids are on campus or shortly after they get back home.  I hope we pick up a few this month.  It's been quiet so far.  Still have two weeks.

LSU now has the SEC's No. 1 recruiting class

BySHEA DIXON Jun 9, 9:30 AM

There has been some shakeup at the top of the 247Sports Team Rankings for the 2022 recruiting class, and now the LSU Tigers have the No. 1 recruiting class in the Southeastern Conference.

One day after losing Fort Worth (Texas) Brewer five-star defensive tackle Bear Alexander, Georgia is now down to 10 commitments in the 2022 class after Bainbridge (Ga.) five-star athlete Deyon Bouie announced he was also de-committing from the Bulldogs.

The departures of a pair of 247Sports Composite five-stars dropped Georgia from No. 2 on the 247Sports Team Rankings down to the No. 3 spot, which in turn slid the Tigers up from No. 3 into the No. 2 spot nationally and No. 1 in the SEC.

LSU currently holds commitments from 12 prospects for a point total of 229.33, trailing only Ohio State as the Buckeyes have 13 commitments and 254.25 points. Ohio State has four five-stars committed, while LSU has three five-stars on board in quarterback Walker Howard, left tackle Will Campbell and safety Jacoby Mathews. Georgia now has two five-stars committed for the current recruiting cycle, while Alabama checks in with a pair of five-stars and Texas A&M rounds out the SEC's haul with one five-star on board.

LSU's class was trimmed down by one over the weekend following a visit and camp workout from Alabama's Lucas Taylor, who chose to flip his commitment from the Tigers to Mississippi State. Now, LSU has a pair of offensive linemen committed in Campbell and Bo Bordelon, which gives new offensive line coach Brad Davis the chance to add at least three more names to the fold across the summer and fall months.

LSU also welcomed a handful of official visitors to campus over the weekend, which the staff juggled while also hosting a pair of camps and numerous unofficial visitors as the floodgates finally opened from the 14-plus month NCAA dead period. 

"Great weekend. We had over 1,000 campers here. Five official visitors, several unofficial visitors," Orgeron said on Off The Bench. "Great to have everything back to normal, what a great camp, everybody left got coached up and there's a lot of smiling faces on campus this weekend."

Here is a look at where the entire SEC ranks on the 247Sports Team Rankings

LSU: No. 1 in SEC, No. 2 overall (12 commits)

Georgia: No. 2 in SEC, No. 3 overall (11 commits)

Mississippi State: No. 3 in SEC, No. 8 overall (14 commits)

Texas A&M: No. 4 in SEC, No. 9 overall (8 commits)

Kentucky: No. 5 in SEC, No. 11 overall (10 commits)

Alabama: No. 6 in SEC, No. 12 overall (7 commits)

Arkansas: No. 7 in SEC, No. 14 overall (10 commits)

Missouri: No. 8 in SEC, No. 16 overall (8 commits)

Florida: No. 9 in SEC, No. 25 overall (6 commits)

Vanderbilt: No. 10 in SEC, No. 27 overall (7 commits)

Tennessee: No. 11 in SEC, No. 36 overall (5 commits)

South Carolina: No. 12 in SEC, No. 42 overall (4 commits)

5COMMENTS

Auburn: No. 13 in SEC, No. 50 overall (3 commits)

Ole Miss: No. 14 in SEC, No. 61 overall (2 commits)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LSU Commit Will Campbell Enjoying Responsibility of Being 2022 Class Leader

Campbell trying to recruit other in class while continuing to improve ahead of senior season

ZACK NAGY
JUN 18, 2021
  •  
  •  
  •  

In the midst of one of the biggest recruiting cycles to date, Coach Ed Orgeron and his staff are assembling one of the best classes in recent memory. Headlined by five-star’s Will Campbell and Walker Howard, the Tigers are in premier position to be the No. 1 recruiting class in the entire country. 

For Campbell, this is everything he imagined it to be once he committed to  Orgeron and the Tigers. His constant desire to recruit the top talent in the state has shown since the first day he committed to LSU as he has one goal in mind: win a national championship. 

“Walker and I have been recruiting a lot of guys to join us,” said Campbell. “Some guys that we are really recruiting hard is Quincy Wiggins, we’re really big on him, he’s probably one of the best rushers I’ve had to face.”

Wiggins, a four-star defensive end out of Baton Rouge, has been getting nonstop attention from Campbell and other commits in LSU’s arsenal. The Madison Prep product has shown why he is one of the best defensive prospects in the country throughout multiple camps, LSU’s OL/DL camp being one of them, where he faced off against Campbell. 

Along with Wiggins, Campbell has been pushing for Shazz Preston, the state’s top wide receiver, to commit to the Tigers in what could be the cherry on top in a loaded 2022 class.

“We’re looking at Shazz Preston, we really want him too,” said Campbell. “Just everybody that stays in state is who we’re focused on recruiting.”

It’s been a busy summer for Campbell as he is coming off a phenomenal showing at the Under Armour All-American Future 50 Camp in Bradenton, Fla. Facing off against the best high school prospects in the country, Campbell proved why he belongs in the conversation as one of the best of the best. His matchup against Walter Nolen, the nation’s top defensive prospect, was an absolute dog fight in each rep. 

“It was a good matchup, one I think everybody wanted to see, being the best on best,” Campbell said on his matchup with Nolen. “I went up against a lot of good guys and just being able to go up against the best of the best was really exciting.”

His dominant showings in top-tier camps is nothing new. Campbell took home MVP at the Rivals Camp Series in Dallas where he earned an invite to the Rivals Five-Star Challenge in Atlanta. 

With the Five-Star Challenge this weekend, Campbell is going in looking to assert his dominance against highly touted prospects while putting on his recruiting cap, trying to continue building this 2022 class to even greater heights.

“Really my main thing is going out there to prove something, just to the people who have ever doubted me, just to show Louisiana does breed the best,” said Campbell. “Jacoby Mathews, another guy who is committed, will be down there recruiting with me in Atlanta.” 

With LSU’s 2022 recruiting class ranking amongst the best in the nation, Campbell won’t stop pushing for elite prospects to take their talents to Death Valley until they’re No. 1. As Campbell and Howard lead the charge, Orgeron and his staff are molding a national championship caliber roster for years to come.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LSU Football Adds Commitment from No. 2 Kicker in 2022 Class Nathan Dibert

Dibert an important addition for the Tigers in 2022 class with Cade York entering junior season
BY GLEN WEST , JUL 2, 2021

Loading video

One of the under the radar additions the 2022 class has needed is a kicker. With All-American Cade York entering his junior season and asserting himself as one of the premier kickers in the country, staying ahead of the game is important for the Tigers. 

The Tigers added a 12th member to the recruiting class on Friday when kicker Nathan Dibert, the No. 2 kicker prospect in the 2022 class, announced his commitment to the purple and gold.

The left footed kicker out of Hartland, Michigan is highly ranked by the Kohls Kicking Camp as the No. 2 kicker in the country. 

LSU under special teams coordinator Greg McMahon has done a terrific job of recruiting kickers and punters. The Tigers under McMahon have signed Cole Tracy, York and five star punter Peyton Todd out of West Monroe. 

Special teams was a once inconsistent part of the Tigers play but has proven to be the most consistent over the last three years under McMahon. LSU enters this offseason with York firmly in place as the kicker but Todd and Avery Atkins are in a bit of a battle for the starting punter position. 

By adding another five star kicker in the Kohls rankings with Dibert joining the program, the future of the consistent special teams play seems to be in tact. The Tigers now have 12 commits in the 2022 class with the addition of Dibert and more potentially on the way. 

Highly regarded offensive tackle Kelvin Banks is set to announce his commitment on July 4, with LSU squarely in the mix along with Texas A&M, Texas and Oregon.

• Like 1

I thought we'd see a few more commitments in June after the camps.  In years past, players got offers at the camp and committed shortly after the camp. 

Maybe we're recruiting a better class of cat, and they want to go through more of the process before committing.  I'm glad O seems to enjoy doing it, I would hate to have my ability to succeed dependent of a bunch of swell headed 18 year olds!

• Like 1

How LSU commit Walker Howard has performed in the Elite 11 quarterback competition

USATSI_15303070.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
July 3, 2021 10:47 am CT

ADVERTISEMENT

Currently in Manhattan Beach, California, the best quarterback recruits from across the country are putting their skills on display. Among the participants, the SEC Conference has four participants.

Texas A&M commit Conner Weigman, Alabama commit Ty Simpson, Floridacommit Nick Evers, and of course, LSU commit Walker Howard.

Howard is currently the No. 2 pro-style quarterback in the 2022 recruiting class just behind Ohio State commit, Quinn Ewers. Ewers is another top passer that is in attendance for the Elite 11 Finals.

According to 247Sports, Howard has been up and down in the three-day event with one day left:

Ranking: No. 8

USATSI_15370503.jpg

SCOTT CLAUSE/USA TODAY Network via Imagn Content Services, LLC

Despite an up-and-down performance in the 7v7 portion of the event that probably left a bad taste in his mouth, the rhythm (or lack therof) with his receivers may have played a role in that. What didn’t affect him was the quickness and efficiency needed in the target challenge, with the LSU verbal finishing third in the competition.

With just one day left in the event, Howard seems to be in good standing at this point. Being one of the best 11 quarterbacks in the country is a feat in itself. Howard looks to lead the LSU Tigers’ 2022 recruiting class and hopefully bring back the championship-level aspirations to the football team. After a down season in 2020, the fans that pack Tigers Stadium are ready for more roaring Saturdays this season.

WATCH: DeMario Tolan commits to LSU

• by Shea Dixon
  • 5 hours ago

The LSU football staff landed a huge commitment on Thursday when Florida four-star linebacker DeMario Tolan shut down his recruiting process and gave his pledge to the Tigers, picking LSU over a final group that also included Clemson, Miami, Tennessee and Florida State.

The commitment was LSU's first linebacker on board in the 2022 cycle, giving first-year linebackers coach Blake Baker - who previously coached at Miami - a huge win in the Sunshine State.

LSU jumped up to No. 4 on the 247Sports Team Rankings with the commitment, which was the 13th verbal pledge for the Tigers this cycle.

Here's video of the moment Tolan picked LSU.

.@LSUfootball got a good one ????

4??LB @DemarioTolan commits to the Bayou Bengals @Geaux247 ??

(via @CBSSportsHQpic.twitter.com/1p08TB6VUn

— 247Sports (@247Sports) July 8, 2021

247Sports analyst Andrew Ivins caught up with Tolan ahead of the decision to break down why he was picking the Tigers:

"If you want me to be honest, it's a home away from home," Tolan told 247Sports when asked about his decision to play for Ed Orgeron and the Tigers. "I just feel like I can be me out there. I feel like I can be the greatest man that I can be and that I can be the greatest football player that I can be."

"This is all I have ever wanted to do – play on the biggest stage," Tolan quickly added.

Tolan, who the industry-generated 247Sports Composite pegs as the nation's No. 27 linebacker in the class of 2022, was also considering Miami, Tennessee, Clemson and Florida State. He was in Baton Rouge the weekend of June 18 for an official visit. That trip seemed to swing things in favor of LSU.

"I know that is LSU is a great place and I know that Coach O is a great coach," Tolan noted. "That's why I'm going to LSU. Coach O is smart. He knows what he's doing. He just needs the players to do what he did two years ago when they won [a national title]."

The Tigers offered Tolan a scholarship back on February 1. That was a few days after Orgeron tabbed Blake Baker to be his new linebackers coach. Tolan was quick to point out that Baker, who initially offered Tolan when he was on staff at Miami, is another reason why he's headed to LSU.

"He's just real. I feel comfortable talking to him and [Daronte Jones]. Everything they say and do just feels natural," Tolan said.

Tolan has done a little bit of everything over the past few years at Kissimmee (Fla.) Tohopekaliga getting snaps at linebacker, wide receiver and running back. He recently transferred into Orlanod (Fla.) Dr. Phillips for his senior season where he's expected to play primarily defense.

• Like 2

BREAKING: Fitzgerald West commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
July 10, 2021

Class of 2022 offensive lineman Fitzgerald West‍ of Lafayette (La.) Lafayette Christian Academy has announced his commitment to LSU.

West announced his commitment in front of a packed gymnasium at LCA. 

“When I went on my visit it felt like family,” West said. “I love coach Davis, an hour away, it’s such a relief for my mom.”

The 6-foot-2, 305 pound center committed to LSU over offers from Alabama, SMU and Tulane.  

West earned a scholarship offer from Ed Orgeron after a stellar performance at last month’s LSU football camp.  He has an opportunity to be a five year starter on five straight state championship teams if the Knights win another title in 2021.  He was a starter for LCA in the eighth grade.

Five-star safety Sage Ryan of LCA signed with LSU and the class of 2021.

“The LCA to LSU pipeline, I like it, a lot more to come,” West said.

New LSU offensive line coach Brad Davis is recruiting West for the Tigers coaching staff.  West says that even though he’s been on the job for a month they bonded pretty quickly.

“It (relationship) built pretty quick,” West said. “I felt his vibe from the first day I met him.”

With his pledge, LSU now has 14 commitmentsfor the class of 2022.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

“When I went on my visit it felt like family,” West said. “I love coach Davis, an hour away, it’s such a relief for my mom.”

New LSU offensive line coach Brad Davis is recruiting West for the Tigers coaching staff.  West says that even though he’s been on the job for a month they bonded pretty quickly.

It (relationship) built pretty quick,” West said. “I felt his vibe from the first day I met him.”

That's encouraging for such a recent hire.  I read Brad Davis turned down other offers recently, but his roots are in La., and he came home like Kim Mulkey did.

It's very nice to get such a good report on Coach Davis so quickly.  Bodes well for the future.

• Like 1

2022 Lousiana Lineman Fitzgerald West Commits to LSU Football

Addition of West brings Tigers up to 14 total commits, can play either defensive line or offensive line

GLEN WEST
2 HOURS AGO
  •  
  •  
  •  

LSU's hot streak on the recruiting trail continued into the weekend as the purple and gold picked up a commitment from Louisiana lineman Fitzgerald West. It's the third commitment of the week for the Tigers, who secured pledges from kicker Nathan Dibert and linebacker DeMario Tolan.

With West on board the Tigers are now up to 14 commits for the 2022 class but the interesting question will be where West ultimately winds up. Recruited primarily as a defensive tackle, LSU will likely have interest in trying him out on the offensive line as well. 

His ties to LSU go back quite a few years as West has an interesting first encounter with LSU head coach Ed Orgeron, whom he met at a camp held at Tulane when he was entering his freshman year of high school.

"Coach O was a host at the camp and he sees me and starts talking to me because he likes my size," West told LSU Country last year. "When I told him what grade I was in, he was amazed.

"He said 'man, you're a freshman?' and I said 'No sir I'm going to be a freshman' and he just about lost it," West recalls. "Immediately he was telling me to come to their camp and that he'd love to see me there."

It took a couple of years for West to earn the offer he coveted from his hometown school, earning an offer in early June of 2021 after attending a camp and getting to meet with the coaching staff. West has played on both sides of the line throughout his career at Lafayette Christian, where he'll be looking to win his fifth straight state championship as a senior.

He looks up to guys like Tyler Shelvin and Rashard Lawrence as well as Jacobian Guillory, who just finished out his first season with the program. West said he talks with Shelvin and Guillory a lot and calls them his big brothers as they're always just a phone call away for advice. 

Now, whether it's on the offensive or defensive line, West gets to finally carry out his dream of suiting up for the purple and gold. 

• Like 1