Gameday Tigers

2022 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

The thing with Perkins, I saw an interview with him, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  He seemed mercenary, like he was going where the biggest NIL deal was.  Now BK may be getting our act together on NIL, and we don't want to lose these 5*, but I can imagine they will be hard to coach with their attitude.  But, you gotta try.

• Like 1

I don't get too worked up by all of the "LSU missed out on this 5* athlete" thing. A player has to be a fit for both sides - including LSU.

We have a lot of gifted athletes in Louisiana, but not all of them are Tigers.

Part of the issue stretching back through the Miles era has been a culture problem. The way to change that is by the character of the players on the team and I think CBK has pretty good ideas of the mindsets he is looking for.

I think NIL expectations are probably (overall) unrealistic in the minds of kids and their families. They seem to want NFL money without actually being in the NFL (or something close to that).

Hopefully, those expectations will get tamped down to reality in future recruiting cycles. "The market will correct itself". 

I see some kids like maybe Perkins, Citizen, and Mathews that have some kind of inner conflict going on: they grew up wanting to play for LSU but with NIL erupting like a volcano they have heightened FOMO (fear of missing out). Hence, the need to add uncertainty (like a woman in a bar being flirtatious enough to get free drinks from several guys when she knows she is only going to date one of them).

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

Unfortunately many great players come with issues and baggage. It’s up to the coaches to weed them out or have a process to handle them once they arrive on campus.

This is true.  I think it is the "SEC Storied" series on the SEC network, they did a one hour special on Herschel Walker.  He wanted to join the football team but the coach told him he was too thin.  Over the summer before his Freshman year, he worked out like crazy, home made weights of concrete in a bucket, ran sprints all summer.  When he went back to see the coach, the coach did not recognize him.  Freshman year at Ga., Herschel played through injuries that would have sidelined a normal person.  In the national championship game, Herschel dislocated his shoulder on the second play, they snapped it back in and he played the rest of the game.

With Herschel Walker being picked by "The Sporting News" as the No. 1 college football player of all time, there is something downright sensational about his performance in the 1981 Sugar Bowl that has never been given the acclaim it deserves.

Consider these salient facts:

• Notre Dame's defense was truly outstanding; it had not given up a hundred yards rushing to any back all season.
  • The Irish defenders made no bones about their objective to keep Herschel from reaching that familiar benchmark.

If you are in touch with the statistics from that memorable game which confirmed the national championship for Georgia, look at what happened. Herschel, a 1999 College Football Hall of Fame inductee, gained substantially more than the running back benchmark for rushing yards for a single game. He gained 150 yards, BUT with a dislocated (right) shoulder. On the second play from scrimmage, Hershel was hurt. He came off the field with dismay enveloping the Georgia sideline. I remember watching Dr. Butch Mulherin snap his injured shoulder back in place which caused Herschel to wince slightly.

On the next play, he went back into the game and in workmanlike fashion pounding the Irish defense for four quarters.
Later, when you saw films of the game, he would turn his left shoulder to where it would take the brunt of the defense's licks. Talk about playing hurt, a long time harbinger of a player's worth in the eyes of seasoned teammates.

Herschel's performance was not flashy. It was not even recognized by the 77,895 in attendance, nor was it noted by the overflow media which covered the game for outlets across the country. To be fair, nobody knew about it. If it had been disclosed, Herschel would have scoffed at it being a big deal.

A psychologist who has worked with Herschel says he has a multiple personality disorder.  He has a hidden personality that he can assign pain to, while his regular personality continues to perform normally, ignoring the pain.

LSU coach Brian Kelly impresses the folks at Isidore Newman

BySTEVE WILTFONG Jan 26, 7:49 PM

LSU faithful starting to warm up to Brian Kelly with transfer portal attack

bkellthumb.png

LSU head coach Brian Kelly popped in at New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman on Wednesday, home of the Top247's No. 1 ranked recruit Arch Manning and his 2023 teammate Will Randle.

"Brian Kelly is awesome," Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart told 247Sports. The program's 2022 offensive tackle Bo Bordelon signed with the Tigers in the 2022 class.

"He just was so personable. Attentive and such an authentic person. I can tell he's going to be incredibly successful."

This new LSU staff is making a big push for both Manning and Randle.

"He talked about a variety of things from practice organization to Louisiana food," Stewart said. "Took time to reaffirm the offer to Will Randle, (talked) how they see Arch fitting in their system. Just was an amazing first meeting. Certainly an elite coach."

• Like 2

The recruiting weekend is over, Sunday midnight to signing day Wednesday is a dead period. 

How Kelly and the staff close, will be another step forward as to filling this roster. A TE or more is needed, if you sign one Wednesday, we may also go into the portal. Citizen is a take at RB, but we have a few coming back, also picked up one from the portal. 

When Kelly was hired, talk was he and the staff were late to the party. Now, it’s like they are filling this class with really good players. Once a staff leaves, one that has offered many of these kids since their Freshman or Sophomore high school seasons, the new staff is more of a start from scratch. 

This weekend a number of players came in with their families, LSU is the freshest thing they remember. Wednesday will see how the roster fills out, but far from finished. 

After Spring, some may transfer out, the portal will be used again. LSU will continue to follow players in the portal. 

NIL will continue to move some players, the NCAA should step in, how soon? Coaches and AD’s will give feedback, you know Woody has been asked and has given his input. The best thing about it, kids get to see dollars taken from them a few different ways. Attorney fees and Income Tax are a few. Welcome to the real world! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

I saw a predicting service had Citizen and Matthews 75% to LSU.  Harold Perkins was a toss up between aTm and LSU, not sure of the date on that since he de-committed from aTm.  Citizen is the #2 ranked RB in the US, Matthews is a 5* safety.

There is a great chance for all 3, they have a couple more from Tx. The Tx kids are all possibilities. Like I said, we are in very good shape. As always, you are dealing with two things, kids and NIL. 

• Like 1

It will be a great coup if LSU signs all 3 of the main targets (Perkins, Matthews, Citizen) but it would be an okay day if we signed none. Missing on all 3 will not be the end of the world and will be understandable given the very late coaching change.

The staff knows by now which of these will sign with LSU and LSU is offering the scholarships they were reserving for any "misses" to kids that WANT to be Tigers.

I would not be surprised to see some quality, unexpected HS players sign with LSU today that are flying under people's radar. Particularly I think we'll see a WR or two be in today's signees.

It'll be fun to see how today shakes out.

"Locks" to LSU that commit to other schools. "Silent commits" to other schools that "flip" to LSU. Dropping my top 500 schools. Happy to see most of it end today, at least until next year's recruiting class heats up! I remember in the days before the internet you'd hear about the "big" recruits LSU signed by reading the sports page from the Morning Advocate or the Times Picayune. Recruiting has become "big business" and I no longer enjoy all fo the "drama" associated with it.  Let me know when all the horses are in the barn.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hatchertiger said:

"Locks" to LSU that commit to other schools. "Silent commits" to other schools that "flip" to LSU. Dropping my top 500 schools. Happy to see most of it end today, at least until next year's recruiting class heats up! I remember in the days before the internet you'd hear about the "big" recruits LSU signed by reading the sports page from the Morning Advocate or the Times Picayune. Recruiting has become "big business" and I no longer enjoy all fo the "drama" associated with it.  Let me know when all the horses are in the barn.

I couldn't agree more.

Now if we can just all go back to land lines and answering machines, life would be oh so much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatchertiger said:

Wanna know how to get me outta following recruiting?

NIL bidding wars

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Wanna know how to get me outta following recruiting?

NIL bidding wars

The unrealistic expectations of NIL money needs to stop. Now.

I said earlier that some of these kids and their families are expecting NFL money before they even set foot on a campus. The problem is that certain schools are fostering that lie.

This will correct itself.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...