Gameday Tigers

QB Joe Talks With The Morning Crew At 104.5

LSUDad

I listened to it live.  That's one thing I'm grateful for living in TX, the 104.5 ESPN app.  

Joe may not have the most live arm, but that's a tough sumbitch and he's got it in ALL other areas.  And FWIW, his arm is certainly not a liability.  He's a damn good QB and I bet he's drafted fairly high if the Brady experiment works.  

I love the enthusiasm in his voice talking about it.  It's the system he was made to run. 

9 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Joe may not have the most live arm, but that's a tough sumbitch and he's got it in ALL other areas.  And FWIW, his arm is certainly not a liability.  He's a damn good QB and I bet he's drafted fairly high if the Brady experiment works.  

I love the enthusiasm in his voice talking about it.  It's the system he was made to run. 

Thinking back, our last good QB was Mett, who lasted 3 years in the NFL.  I always liked Mett's arm strength and accuracy putting the ball in some tight windows to Jarvis Landry.  From what I have seen from Burrow, I don't see that he has quite the strength or accuracy of Mett.  On the other hand, Mett was a statue back there, not mobile.  Burrow seems to have that all over Mett.  I also think Burrow is smart and commands a much more complex offense than Mett did.  I think both were tough, but Burrow seems to exhibit a little more fire out on the field, and I think the players like that about Joe.

Joe can play an extremely important role for LSU this season, in a way many may not realize.  Our failure to recruit top QB's to LSU since Perrilloux has not been due to lack of trying, but I think the players felt our conservative offensive scheme would not showcase their talents and help them become a high draft pick.  That perception has to change for LSU to attract better QB candidates.  Part of that is ACTUALLY CHANGING the scheme, and last year did not prove that.  Hiring Joe Brady will hopefully help complete the change.  The other part is having a QB that can run and manage the new offense, and that is where Burrow comes in.  If he can succeed in a big way, and high school players see that the new system works, its effective and fun to play in, I think LSU can become more successful recruiting top QB's to play in BR.  And that would be a HUGE contribution from Joe Burrow!

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

Thinking back, our last good QB was Mett, who lasted 3 years in the NFL.  I always liked Mett's arm strength and accuracy putting the ball in some tight windows to Jarvis Landry.  From what I have seen from Burrow, I don't see that he has quite the strength or accuracy of Mett.  On the other hand, Mett was a statue back there, not mobile.  Burrow seems to have that all over Mett.  I also think Burrow is smart and commands a much more complex offense than Mett did.  I think both were tough, but Burrow seems to exhibit a little more fire out on the field, and I think the players like that about Joe.

Joe can play an extremely important role for LSU this season, in a way many may not realize.  Our failure to recruit top QB's to LSU since Perrilloux has not been due to lack of trying, but I think the players felt our conservative offensive scheme would not showcase their talents and help them become a high draft pick.  That perception has to change for LSU to attract better QB candidates.  Part of that is ACTUALLY CHANGING the scheme, and last year did not prove that.  Hiring Joe Brady will hopefully help complete the change.  The other part is having a QB that can run and manage the new offense, and that is where Burrow comes in.  If he can succeed in a big way, and high school players see that the new system works, its effective and fun to play in, I think LSU can become more successful recruiting top QB's to play in BR.  And that would be a HUGE contribution from Joe Burrow!

Only thing I can disagree with is Joe is extremely accurate.  Especially in the kind of system he's about to be commanding. 

And FWIW, Brennan will excel in this type of offense too, and he has an absolute cannon of an arm.  

Another thing I will say in Joe Burrow's favor, he lost his bid to be the starter at Ohio State in 2018.  The guy who beat him out finished third in the Heisman voting and was the first round draft pick of the Redskins, coming out as a redshirt sophomore.  Dwayne Haskins is a very talented QB.  Losing that competition does not say anything bad about Joe Burrow.

I know some talk of Joes arm strength, something I don’t see, so I texted a guy I know well, got his takeoff. Thought some might enjoy his reply. 

“He has zero issues with arm strength. That’s overrated.
It’s his improvement with accuracy. And also working with his receivers better,
Much better. 
He was impressive in the spring and at MPA with arm zip and accuracy.”

To Add, he also sent me this on Myles. 

“The arm talent is Myles. Whoa..

Now.. he’s got to be more of a take charge guy and leader. 

But Burrow is real good.”

I returned my reply: “Another year as the backup to Joe, some of that leadership will rub off. “ 

I have another NFL guy, but he’s fighting the storm now, will catch him after this clears. 

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the interview with Burrow's dad.  Burrow's family adopted not only LSU but embraced Louisiaana culture the minute Joe transferred.

That type of adoption goes way beyond the "mercernary" attitude you see with some portal transfers.

14 hours ago, Herb said:

Loved the interview with Burrow's dad.  Burrow's family adopted not only LSU but embraced Louisiaana culture the minute Joe transferred.

That type of adoption goes way beyond the "mercernary" attitude you see with some portal transfers.

The kicker Cole Tracy and his family did much of the same last year. 

Archived