Gameday Tigers

Booger Talks LSU Offensive Identity For 2019

LSUDad

Booger McFarland hopes LSU doesn't lose offense identity

ByJORDAN JAMES 13 hours ago 

Expectations are high for the LSU Tigers football team following a 10-3 record last season.

One of the reasons is the potential for a more explosive offense aided by the addition of new passing game coordinator Joe Brady, who spent the last two seasons with the nearby New Orleans Saints. Returning LSU starting quarterback Joe Burrow made headlines in early July, when he said the Tigers could be scoring between 40 and 60 points in games, and last season was the first time since 2013 that a LSU team has averaged more passing yards per game than rushing yards per game.

With that said, ESPN football analyst Booger McFarland, a former LSU defensive lineman, believes that the Tigers must get back to their physical identity. McFarland spoke about his outlook for LSU during an appearance on The Paul Finebaum Show on Thursday.

"I've always been a person that I like to, to say less, and show more," McFarland said. "And I didn't like the fact that Joe Burrowwas talking about 40 or 50 points. But on the flip side, what is he supposed to say? 'We're going to go out and score zero.' Either way, you got to get out and go and play the game. And I think for LSU, Paul, they just need to go out and play. I'm tired of hearing about the offensive system changing. We're going to bring in this guy and that guy, man just go out and show people and play football. Because football is a physical game.

"I understand everyone wants to go to the spread. But if you think about what's made the SEC the best conference in the country, Paul, it's because we play defense on the line of scrimmage up front, we have a physical offensive line, and we understand how to run the football. I don't care what formation you do that out of, but you got to be physical. So my hope is that LSU, while trying to be spread and open with Brady coming in from New Orleans, that they don't lose their identity. You win in the SEC by being physical and owning the offensive line and defensive line. That's what they have to do in Baton Rouge just like they do in Georgia or Tuscaloosa."

Still, McFarland is optimistic that LSU will thrive in 2019.

"You know what, Paul, I think it's got to work," McFarland said. "And I give Coach O a lot of credit, because it would have been easy just to kind of stay status quo. Especially after last year, because a lot of people thought LSU was going to be a 7-5 football team last year. They won 10 games with that schedule they had last year, which was super tough. And so I think Coach O got a lot of credit, not only in the SEC, but around the country for how he was able to navigate that schedule. So for him to go out this offseason and say, you know what, we're going to bring in Brady from the New Orleans Saints, and we're going to make Joe Burrow in the shotgun, and we're going to throw the football around a little bit. I give him credit, because he's earned it by what he did last year.

"Now with that being said, you know, LSU has a new athletic director, Scott Woodward. He's not married to Ed Orgeron. So this is another prove it year. I understand I've been listening to you talk about Gus Malzahn and how he doesn't have that safety net. Well, guess what, Paul, Coach O doesn't have a safety net either. Scott Woodward is there. And he's not saying anything. He just going to sit back and observe. They gave Coach O an extension. He earned the extension. Now he's got to go out and prove to a new boss. And Paul, you know how it is, you get a new boss, you want to show the new boss that you deserve to be there. So even though Coach O did one hell of a job last year with that tough schedule, he's got to do it again.

"And the fact that he changed the offense going into this year tells me he believes in it. But in the end, Paul, the only way you're going to beat Auburn, and Alabama, and Georgia, and A&M and Texas, you got to hit em in the mouth, Paul. So I hope for LSU fans, and for the SEC's sake, that LSU doesn't turn and try to go four or five wide receivers. That's not how this conference has been built for years. And it's not going to be built that way now."

Booger does lots of talking, but what is he saying? To think O and the staff will not bust folks in the mouth? He’s telling us football is a “Physical Game?” Somehow bringing in Brady, LSU is going to get soft? The Saints (Where Brady came from), are they soft, are they not Physical? 

I like Booger, but some times I wonder, where he’s going at times? Anyone thinking O, Steve, Brady and the rest of the staff are going to get away from their identity? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Booger does lots of talking, but what is he saying? To think O and the staff will not bust folks in the mouth? He’s telling us football is a “Physical Game?” Somehow bringing in Brady, LSU is going to get soft? The Saints (Where Brady came from), are they soft, are they not Physical? 

I like Booger, but some times I wonder, where he’s going at times? Anyone thinking O, Steve, Brady and the rest of the staff are going to get away from their identity? 

I hear what he is saying.  Look at how spread offenses have taken over other conferences.  We don't want that.  If they want to add some elements maybe that will be ok, but he doesn't want us to become like a Pac 12 team

41 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I hear what he is saying.  Look at how spread offenses have taken over other conferences.  We don't want that.  If they want to add some elements maybe that will be ok, but he doesn't want us to become like a Pac 12 team

One look at our defense, seen any defense in the PAC-12 like ours? 

As for spreading out, mismatched, and doing much of what the Saints do, is far from what Booger is talking about. Lining up a TE or RB out wide, doesn’t mean, you don’t have a power game. It keeps the defense, thinking, puts them on their heels. We signed 3 TE’s in this incoming class, not doing away with the position. 

We are not lining up, base offense. InbredGumps hired Steve Sarkisian, ole ms hired Rich Rodriguez, where did they coach again? Why did other schools hire former PAC-12 guys? Are they trying to be like the P-12? 

I like what the Saints and the Eagles do in the NFL, presnap formation, motion, the QB many times, knows where he’s going with the ball. The Eagles got a ton of movement after the ball is snapped, many times, they take a LB, CB or Safety away from the play. 

Steve, O and Brady know what they want and need in this offense. O and the staff recruit the same kids, just more of a change in tempo, not letting a defense dictate what we do. We did a little in the Spring Game, not much of a show, but I see what they want to do. 

Edited by LSUDad

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

I follow Booger, but sometimes he’s a little too much. 

2 years ago: 

“On Monday morning’s edition of SportsCenter on ESPN, former LSU DL and current ESPN analyst Booger McFarland said he doesn’t think Coach O’s job is in jeopardy just yet, but suggested that the first-year coach gather his staff together and air their grievances:

“I don’t think he’s going to get fired after five games or fired after one year, but there’s cause for concern when you look at the lack of effort, the lack of enthusiasm, the soft play on both lines of scrimmage,” he said. “If you’re Coach O, hopefully you have a ‘Come to Jesus’ meeting, not with your team, but with your staff, because it starts with them.”

The road doesn’t get any easier for the Tigers, as they travel to Gainesville on Saturday afternoon to take on the improving Florida GayTurds.

Games against Auburn and Ole Piss also loom before a much-needed bye week for the Tigers, so things may get worse before they get better for Coach O’s squad.”

A little more Booger:

Booger McFarland: No chance Orgeron gets permanent HC gig at LSU

Andrew Olson Andrew Olson 
3 years ago

Former LSU defensive lineman and current SEC Network analyst Booger McFarland offered a strong take on the Tigers’ head coaching situation: Ed Orgeron has no chance of being named the permanent head coach.

“He can win out and he can beat Alabama convincingly … I think the powers that be in Baton Rouge – Joe Alleva, F. King Alexander and the Board – I think they’re looking for something they’ve never had,” McFarland said. “That’s a head coach with an offensive background, a head coach that can bring a young quarterback in here and get some excitement. … I don’t know of anything, in my opinion, that he can do to keep this job.”

If LSU won out, it could potentially finish atop the SEC West and be playing for an SEC championship. McFarland would like to see a defensive guy as LSU’s coach, but he thinks the higher ups are focused on offense with the next coach.

“I would love for Coach O to be the coach, he’s my type of guy – he’s a defensive line coach,” McFarland said. “I would love for him to get that job – I’m just giving you the climate of what’s down there and what the people want. They want a guy that can be a quarterback whisperer.”

18 hours ago, LSUDad said:

As for spreading out, mismatched, and doing much of what the Saints do, is far from what Booger is talking about. Lining up a TE or RB out wide, doesn’t mean, you don’t have a power game. It keeps the defense, thinking, puts them on their heels. We signed 3 TE’s in this incoming class, not doing away with the position. 

We are not lining up, base offense. InbredGumps hired Steve Sarkisian, ole ms hired Rich Rodriguez, where did they coach again? Why did other schools hire former PAC-12 guys? Are they trying to be like the P-12? 

I like what the Saints and the Eagles do in the NFL, presnap formation, motion, the QB many times, knows where he’s going with the ball. The Eagles got a ton of movement after the ball is snapped, many times, they take a LB, CB or Safety away from the play. 

Steve, O and Brady know what they want and need in this offense. O and the staff recruit the same kids, just more of a change in tempo, not letting a defense dictate what we do. We did a little in the Spring Game, not much of a show, but I see what they want to do. 

But they weren't talking about the defense.

And I got the impression that he was saying he didn't want to see that kind of offense, not that that was what Brady was doing.  We haven't seen what they are doing yet.  I think the term "spread offense" just bring some apprehension. 

And I cant say I am a fan of Booger either, I was just saying I could see what he was trying to say

2 hours ago, dachsie said:

But they weren't talking about the defense.

And I got the impression that he was saying he didn't want to see that kind of offense, not that that was what Brady was doing.  We haven't seen what they are doing yet.  I think the term "spread offense" just bring some apprehension. 

And I cant say I am a fan of Booger either, I was just saying I could see what he was trying to say

Please look at what the Saints run, this is what Brady was brought in for. The Saints run a West Coast and "Air Coryell" hybrid. Sean Payton has long been one of the best offensive minds in the NFL, the Saints do too many things. Look at how they use Alvin Kamara, two backs, one TE, then in other formations, Kamara is in the slot, they will run or pass out of a bunch formation. West Coast is a quick passing game that expects the receiver to get most of their yards after the catch. Payton is not married to one system.

LSU has brought in WR’s in the 6’2” to 6’7” range, height and speed. If a WR plays soft, you won’t play at LSU long, that goes will all positions. 

But then again, not many figured LSU to win 10 games last year, including Booger. But then again, he gets paid for what he knows? 

Edited by LSUDad

I find the discussion a little off base.  We have all been frustrated with the Les Miles old school run heavy offense.  We failed to hire good OC's, and we failed to recruit elite passing QB's because they did not want to play in that offense.

I have never maintained that we needed a pass happy PAC-12 offense.  I have maintained that we needed better balance, with a creditable passing attack, so the defense did not know what we were going to do.  The best teams  put 8 in the box on defense and when they stuffed the run, we were unable to effectively throw the ball (see paragraph 1).  InbredGumps was so strong up front they stopped our run game with their base 3-4 defense, and we were toast most recent years.

Better balance says you can run effectively when you have to, and pass effectively when you have to do that.  Go back to InbredGumps's nat. championship win over Ga.  Georgia was winning at the half, Jalen Hurts was  not effective throwing the ball, they put in Tua for the second half because they thought he was a better passer, and he led them back and won the game on a pass to Louisiana freshman receiver Devonta Smith.  Tua threw 3 TD passes in the second half including the winner in overtime.  InbredGumps did not rush for a TD in that game.  Georgia had a very good defense and shut down the InbredGumps run game.  With Hurts at QB, InbredGumps did not have an effective passing game.  They put Tua in, and when they could not run the ball because Ga. took that away, they WERE ABLE to effectively throw the ball and it won them a Natty.

To be elite, you have to be able to both run and throw effectively.  You have to have balance.  The defense cannot know what you are going to do.  You have to be able to make them defend the entire field, spread that defense out and not let them take away the only offensive threat that you have.

I will watch with interest to see what our new offense looks like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

I find the discussion a little off base.  We have all been frustrated with the Les Miles old school run heavy offense.  We failed to hire good OC's, and we failed to recruit elite passing QB's because they did not want to play in that offense.

With Les, you could hire anyone at OC and we would still be run heavy. Same with the OL he’d recruit. Two years ago after Les was gone, two True Freshmen started on the OL. Been years since we seen this. How many OL have we had drafted into the NFL, QB’s? That will give you some hint as to where we were, O is trying to change this. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 10:59 AM, LSUDad said:

Please look at what the Saints run, this is what Brady was brought in for. The Saints run a West Coast and "Air Coryell" hybrid. Sean Payton has long been one of the best offensive minds in the NFL, the Saints do too many things. Look at how they use Alvin Kamara, two backs, one TE, then in other formations, Kamara is in the slot, they will run or pass out of a bunch formation. West Coast is a quick passing game that expects the receiver to get most of their yards after the catch. Payton is not married to one system.

LSU has brought in WR’s in the 6’2” to 6’7” range, height and speed. If a WR plays soft, you won’t play at LSU long, that goes will all positions. 

But then again, not many figured LSU to win 10 games last year, including Booger. But then again, he gets paid for what he knows? 

I don't get too many Saints games up here.  I may get to see one or two a year if lucky. Again, I wasn't saying that was what we were going to do, just that I could see what his concern was.

12 hours ago, dachsie said:

I don't get too many Saints games up here.  I may get to see one or two a year if lucky. Again, I wasn't saying that was what we were going to do, just that I could see what his concern was.

You can YouTube just about any game. I just see what Booger throws out there. Take a look at what the Saints do early in this game, this is much of what we want to do. 

I am not very concerned.  I am looking for balance, and I think O and E are smart enough to understand that is what they want also.  Look back to the 2014 Nat. Champ game between Auburn and Fla. State, and the attack that Auburn had, very balanced, they could throw and run, see below (sorry the rushing stats would not line up).

At the end of the day, it boils down to "do you have the horses", and do the coaches call a good game.  Since Nick Marshall and Tre Mason left, Auburn has not been winning very many important games and the fans are frustrated with Gus Malzahn.  We need to see improvement from last year at RB and by the o-line.  If we get it, I think we'll see a balance we have been lacking.  You can have the scheme, but if you don't have the horses to execute it, you're not going to win.  I think we'll go a long way this season.

Auburn Passing
  C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Nick Marshall 14/27 217 8.0 2 1 51.1

Auburn Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Tre Mason 34 195 5.7 1 37
Nick Marshall 16 45 2.8 1 13
Cameron Artis-Payne 1 1 1.0 0 1
Corey Grant 1 -3 -3.0 0 0
Ricardo Louis 1 -6 -6.0 0 0
Team........................53  232  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2019 at 2:34 PM, LSUDad said:

I think it’s kind of funny, everyone wanted LSU to change up their offense, to be more competitive, when they do, everyone’s afraid? Lost identity? 

On 7/13/2019 at 10:59 AM, LSUDad said:

On 7/12/2019 at 1:13 PM, LSUDad said:

Thought some would like to revisit this one. Anyone glad we changed up the offense? 

Booger didn’t want us to lose our identity? I’m glad we lost it. 

Well, an effective passing attack was a joy to watch.  I was a little disappointed in the run game, I thought if we spread everyone out it would create space for our running backs.  Who was that guy at Auburn, Nick Marshall and Tre Mason, they ran the ball pretty good out of the spread.  Maybe when Burrow starts running that will give the defense something else to cover and open up for the backs a bit.  I think the two freshmen running backs have more speed than our returning backs, one or both of those guys needs to break out.  Goodness knows Emery can fake a guy out of his cleats and get himself going.

• Like 1

The deal with Emery is, he wants to be physical, isn't afraid of contact,  but he lacks the power at this point. Coach O said a few days back he needs more time in the weight room. 

He lowered his shoulder at the goal line the other night, but got stood up and pushed back. 

Davis-Price has the power, decent speed too. But neither are as complete as Clyde right now, who keeps being underrated lol. I don't get it. 

• Like 1

Booger is paid to show up and say something.  That is exactly what he did.  He said SOMETHING.

Is it really on point?  It doesn't matter...his job is to sell ads, so he tries to be a contrarian or be "controversial". Because he was a star at LSU, he gets some level of credence in the eyes of others when he is talking about LSU, as though he were E.F. Hutton himself.

I have a like/dislike relationship with Booger's commentaries. He has a level of credence and I wish he'd talk more about X's and O's. What he tends to talk about instead is the "drama" side of football story lines and his narrative style presupposes that he is correct (when in reality it is really just his opinion).

He wants LSU to be a 3 yards and a cloud of dust team, just like it was under his coach, Gerry DiNardo, when they had Herb Tyler and Jamie Howard as QBs. They did not have a QB on the level of Burrow then.

That was Booger's LSU experience and that was the level of offense he understands. He seems confused that LSU can have more passing offense than rushing offense on any given Saturday.

Personally, I like both smash mouth football and an efficient passing game.  What I like is that LSU now has the talent and schemes to let the opponent's defense dictate their poison.

• Like 1

O has stated publicly that he wants balance between run and pass:

Orgeron said. “I want to see speed. We’ll give the receivers the ball in space, let them make plays. But we want to be 50-50 with the run game.”

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-football-offense-changes-134898703/

But lets face it, against any team, you take what the defense will give you. Now we don't HAVE to run it down a team's throat and pass enough to try and keep them honest (But lets not forget Mett, OBJ and Juice). We don't HAVE to max protect and send one receiver deep  (paging D J Chark) with single coverage hoping he comes up with a catch.  Heck we are now capable of setting up the run w/ the pass. And its not just a new offense, its tempo. Defenses better be ready, we aren't huddling for the most part.

Re "soft" teams that spread the ball out (I call them video game offenses), they don't necessarily fail b/c they are soft, most of them fail b/c they don't hardly play defense.  You may have noticed. LSU plays defense. And that ain't changing!

I do have a question for the group about "balance." Lots of coaches preach about wanting it and I'm sure that part of its intent is to keep the defense guessing. But its balance with respect to what? Number of passing plays vs. number of running plays? Or is it passing yards vs. running yards?  There is definitely a difference. 

20 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Why would I have selective memory?  I was asking if he has said anything this week since the game.  You didn't seem to want to understand what I was saying weeks ago, but I remember what I said.  

I read it as Dad was saying Booger had selective memory, not you.

• Like 2