Gameday Tigers

Booger Talks LSU Offensive Identity For 2019

LSUDad

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

Why would I have selective memory?  I was asking if he has said anything this week since the game.  You didn't seem to want to understand what I was saying weeks ago, but I remember what I said.  

Sorry you took it that way, I was not for you. Booger has it. That’s the thing about these talking heads, never remember and never called on it. 

No Dachsie, your memory is very good. Mine on the other hand? I could plan my own Surprise Birthday Party and hide my own Easter Eggs.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Sorry you took it that way, I was not for you. Booger has it. That’s the thing about these talking heads, never remember and never called on it. 

No Dachsie, your memory is very good. Mine on the other hand? I could plan my own Surprise Birthday Party and hide my own Easter Eggs.  

Sorry I misunderstood.  But I would be interested in knowing if he said anything about how we played.  I guess I should try to watch SEC network some. lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I do have a question for the group about "balance." Lots of coaches preach about wanting it and I'm sure that part of its intent is to keep the defense guessing. But its balance with respect to what? Number of passing plays vs. number of running plays? Or is it passing yards vs. running yards?  There is definitely a difference. 

yes there is a difference. 

my best guess is O wants to be somewhere close to 50/50 in number of plays. Which theoretically would mean more yards passing than rushing.

if you lean too heavily toward one or the other, you become predictable and ultimately, stoppable. 

we were too run heavy before.

and you’ve seen what we do to one dimensional offenses. 

• Like 1

I understand balance, as to what O wants. Everyone knew Les was run heavy, they loaded the box. In this new offense we can run or pass out of a number of formations. We did this last Saturday. The time when we would go back to a run heavy in a game. When we are trying to run clock, shorten the game. Or when we are running the ball at will, the opposing team has a weak front 7, once again, shortening the game, getting out with a win, not getting people injured, playing a number of players. 

On the other hand, when a defense gives you an easy passing game, or an easy run game, you take it. I don’t think Steve is calling plays to be balanced once the game starts. He’s calling what works and what the defense is giving him, once the clock starts. Brady is up there to look at coverages when we are in certain formations, feed off of those formations. 

UTx is replacing a number of players on the defense. The two CB’s are young, both Sophomores. The three leading returning tacklers are the two safeties and the NB. The Roach kid is a good player, from here in BTR. 

From the SEC Network after the game, talking about the Tigers.

”Every time you thought Tx was going to come back into the game, LSU responded. LSU’s got Athletes, they are well coached, they’re physical, got grit. These dudes believe they can win.”

We were “physical”last night? Someone wake up Booger. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

I will add to this, if you don’t see real hits being made, blame NCAA. A defensive player has to watch how and  where he hits, flags, yards marked off and sitting out, come into play. 

What do you define as a "real" hit?  To me, it's leading with the shoulder pads and wrapping your arms around the runner.  Unfortunately today defenders seem to be taught to lead with the helmet.  Thus the injuries and stupid penalties for helmet to helmet contact.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, COTiger said:

What do you define as a "real" hit?  To me, it's leading with the shoulder pads and wrapping your arms around the runner.  Unfortunately today defenders seem to be taught to lead with the helmet.  Thus the injuries and stupid penalties for helmet to helmet contact.

The Jefferson catch for a TD, helmet to helmet. Not called. 

37 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

We were not physical on either side of the ball? 

no.  neither team was.

physical games don’t end up with 45-38 scores and close to 900 yards passing.

it was basketball on grass. 

and i don’t mean early/mid 90s Detroit Pistons vs New York Knicks basketball slug fest either. 

more like LSU vs Loyola-Marymount type basketball.

great win. fun as hell to watch.

but definitely not “physical”. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

no.  neither team was.

physical games don’t end up with 45-38 scores and close to 900 yards passing.

it was basketball on grass. 

and i don’t mean early/mid 90s Detroit Pistons vs New York Knicks basketball slug fest either. 

more like LSU vs Loyola-Marymount type basketball.

great win. fun as hell to watch.

but definitely not “physical”. 

So you would rather, 8 in the box and toss dive? 

3 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

A.  never said that. even said “great win, fun as hell to watch”. meaning i thoroughly enjoyed the game. 

B. there is an enormous middle ground between toss dive and our current offense. 

No doubt. 

I thought the defense played well early. They get the ball at our 4, 4 plays later, no points. 

They had 6 plays inside our 8, no points. 

NCAA Re-Rank 1-130: LSU soars to No. 2 behind explosive new offense, while Nebraska tumbles

PAUL MYERBERG   | USA TODAY

3c1215c3-2a1a-4161-ac00-543dc6b0848e-AMWAY_THUMB.png
play
LSU jumps into top five of Amway Coaches Poll after win
USA TODAY Sports' Paul Myerberg breaks down the latest Amway Coaches Poll.

With its high-flying offense and a marquee win under its belt, LSU soars to No. 2 in the USA TODAY Sports college football re-rank.

The Tigers' 45-38 win against Texasfeatured 573 yards of total offense, including 471 passing yards on 31 completions from senior quarterback Joe Burrow. The victory is the most impressive from any team in the Bowl Subdivision across two-plus weeks, and warrants moving LSU one spot ahead of No. 3 Alabama.

But not ahead of Clemson. The No. 1 Tigers squeezed Texas A&M in a 24-10 win that looks closer than it actually was, thanks to a meaningless last-second touchdown from the Aggies. Rounding out the top is No. 4 Ohio State, which impressed in a 42-0 shutout of Cincinnati, and No. 5 Georgia.

The latest re-rank also features a group of fast-rising teams storming into or toward the Top 25. That includes No. 22 Southern California, which knocked off Stanford; No. 29 North Carolina, which is 2-0 under Mack Brown; No. 34 Maryland, which made a 57-point surge after embarrassing Syracuse; and No. 36 California, which pulled off a pretty significant upset of Washington.

New to the Top 25: No. 22 Southern California, No. 23 Army, No. 24 Iowa State, No. 25 Virginia.

Out of the Top 25: No. 27 Washington, No. 37 Stanford, No. 40 Cincinnati, No. 47 Syracuse.

f3fff4c5-1c45-45f0-8abf-8419b27581be-re-rank-09-09.jpg
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 8:53 PM, dachsie said:

Sorry I misunderstood.  But I would be interested in knowing if he said anything about how we played.  I guess I should try to watch SEC network some. lol

He might doesn’t he  another guy have a show (talking out loud?) in espn tonight (or is that a Marcus Spears show?

19 hours ago, COTiger said:

Sorry CO, I call a Real Hit, when you hear it from 10 yards away, or someone gives a oooh or ouch, by the announcers. You remember when a WR came across the middle and, using an old school term, “Got their bell rung.”

I call a real tackle, is when they wrap up.

We missed a bunch of real tackles the other nite. 

I call a real tackle being when you bring a runner down by any legal means.  We missed a shyte load of tackles Saturday night because defenders were concentrating on ringing the runners bell instead of bringing the runner down.  Unfortunately, the big hit that makes it on the evening sports is a sign of the times.

14 hours ago, COTiger said:

I call a real tackle being when you bring a runner down by any legal means.  We missed a shyte load of tackles Saturday night because defenders were concentrating on ringing the runners bell instead of bringing the runner down.  Unfortunately, the big hit that makes it on the evening sports is a sign of the times.

Agree 100%.

I get so frustrated at players that trade tackling fundamentals to "be the man".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herb said:

Agree 100%.

I get so frustrated at players that trade tackling fundamentals to "be the man".

Kary Vincent missed a tackle in the second half that resulted in a long TD on a pass completion.  He also made some very good plays.  Even Delpit let a runner get away that I thought surely he was going to keep the guy down.  Some of that, maybe you give credit to just how good the Longhorn players were, maybe bigger and stronger than LSU fans gave them credit for.  It make the Texas win over Ga. in the Sugar Bowl look better, like Ga. wasn't just having an off day, Texas is that good, but Burrow did feast on their young cornerbacks.

That second goal line stand was quite impressive.  Tom Herman seemed hard headed and not real bright about then, trying to run it in on LSU from the 2 yard line, had 4 cracks from 4 yards out, with 2 shots from the 2.  Reminded me of Les.

But, our tackling needs to improve, mainly by the secondary guys.  I think they will take the lesson to heart, we have the talent, focus on improvement, and I think they will improve.  This is correctable, and quickly.  I am not too concerned right now.

• 6 months later...