Gameday Tigers

Four Tigers On The Butkus Watch List

LSUDad

Four LSU linebackers named to Dick Butkus Award watch list

Miami LSU Football

LSU linebacker Jacob Phillips (6) returns an interception for a touchdown as Miami wide receiver Jeff Thomas (4) and LSU cornerback Greedy Williams (29) look on during the first half of an NCAA college football game Sunday, Sept. 2, 2018, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Ron Jenkins) ORG XMIT: TXRJ110

Ron Jenkins

Four LSU linebackers were named to the Dick Butkus Award watch list, given annually to the nation's top linebacker, the award committee announced Monday morning.

The watch list contains 51 players, including LSU outside linebacker K'Lavon Chaisson and inside linebackers Michael Divinity, Jacob Phillips and Patrick Queen.

LSU had the most names on the list, followed by Alabama, which had three players.

Former All-American linebacker Devin White became the first LSU player to win the Butkus Award last season, when he recorded 123 tackles, three sacks and three forced fumbles before being selected No. 5 overall by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFL draft.

Chaisson, a 6-foot-4, 238-pound sophomore, had five tackles and a sack in the 2018 season opener against Miami, a 33-17 LSU win in which he suffered a season-ending ACL injury. He recorded two sacks and 4½ tackles for loss in 2017 and is expected to make a major impact on a defense that struggled in the pass rush last season without him.

"Without K'Lavon, we'd have to work really hard to get something just right," LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda said in June. "Whereas with K'Lavon, as long as he's doing it, it's probably going to be OK. So that's the difference. The more when that's the case, the more that we can free him up to rush and not have him drop, the better we'll be."

Divinity, a 6-foot-2, 238-pound senior, moved to the "Mack" inside linebacker position in the spring to replace White. Formerly an outside linebacker, Divinity tied for the team lead in 2018 with five sacks and 10½ tackles for loss.

"Mike's a smart kid, man," Aranda said. "He gets football. He's a great communicator. He's confident. He is able to be tough. And so I appreciate that about him, and I think the guys have really responded to him well."

Phillips, a 6-foot-4, 229-pound junior, started 11 games in 2018 at inside linebacker opposite White, missing two starts because of first-half suspensions from targeting penalties. Phillips finished the season second on the team with 87 tackles and was named Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Week after returning an interception for a touchdown in the season opener against Miami.

Queen, a 6-foot-2, 232-pound junior, backed up White at the "Rover" inside linebacker position in 2018 and started in White's place for the first half of a 29-0 loss to Alabama while White was serving a one-half targeting suspension. Queen, who is in the mix to play inside linebacker in 2019, also started the last three games of the 2018 season at outside linebacker. He finished the season with 40 tackles, one sack and 4½ tackles for loss.

Chaisson, well, if he returns to form, I saw him do a spin move in practice within the last few months, and he was like not human.  I didn't think anyone could do a spin move that fast.  He could be special.

Phillips is very good, we'll see if he breaks out this year.

Now, Divinity I thought was one of the most under-rated players on the defense last year.  I would love to see him break out big time this year and go high in the draft.

I don't see Queen on the watch list.  I could be wrong, but I don't see it.  He's very good, but I don't think Butkus good.

4 hours ago, houtiger said:

Divinity I thought was one of the most under-rated players on the defense last year.

Ain't that the truth! He was overshadowed by White of course, but Mike took over games at times later in the season. He's a force and folks don't know it. 

They will soon...

14 SEC linebackers named to the Butkus Award preseason watch list

Adam Spencer | 15 hours ago

This week, many prestigious college award preseason watch lists are continuing to roll out. On Monday, it was time for the Butkus Award to announce its 2019 nominees.

With some of the best linebackers in the nation, it’s no surprise the SEC had 14 players named to the list. In total, there were 51 players nominated.

LSU leads the way with four linebackers named to the list. Alabama has three. Here are all the SEC nominees:

• T.J. Brunson, South Carolina
  • K’Lavon Chaisson, LSU
  • Michael Divinity Jr., LSU
  • Cale Garrett, Mizzou
  • Willie Gay Jr., Mississippi State
  • De’Jon Harris, Arkansas
  • Anfernee Jennings, Alabama
  • Terrell Lewis, Alabama
  • Dylan Moses, Alabama
  • Jacob Phillips, LSU
  • Patrick Queen, LSU
  • Mohamed Sanogo, Ole Piss
  • Darrell Taylor, Tennessee
  • Erroll Thompson, Mississippi State

LSU’s Devin White won the award last season, to the Tigers have a chance to make it two years in a row.

Archived