Gameday Tigers

Fishhead's SEC West Preview 2019

Fishhead

Talkin' season continues...that's all we have right now, but fall practice starts NEXT WEEK!  Until then though, let's take a look at the SEC West for this season.  

Unlike the SEC East, where there's a lot of "also rans", the SECW appears to be pretty loaded this year. Shocking, huh?  Let's see where our main competition stacks up. 

In yet another shocker: 

Alabama:  The Crimson Tide, last we left them, were being embarrassed on the biggest CFB stage by the Clemson Tigers. We knew about the Clemson front DL, but I don't think we realized what a difference they would make in that game against what was thought of all season as an unstoppable offense. 

Well that offense is for the most part back in full force, with more experience.  They lost a couple running backs, but the recruiting has been so ridiculously great, does it really matter at a position that is the easiest transition from HS to College?  I don't think so.  
We do have a ton of film on Tua, including how to keep him in check...human even. 

Here's where InbredGumps MIGHT be vulnerable.  

If Tua, who showed a propensity for injury last year, can't stay healthy...Jalen Hurts won't be there to bail them out.  He'll be at Oklahoma likely in the running for the damn Heisman.  

But as long as he's healthy, he literally has 4 potential first rounders to throw to.  As much as I love LSU's WR corps, InbredGumps's may be the best I've ever seen assembled on the same team at the same time.  

The defense lost a bit on the DL, glad to see that.  But you and I both know they just reload.  They always have LBers, and although LSU holds the title, Alabama, in my opinion, has a better claim to 2nd in the DBU race over tOSU and FU.  

Bottom line, they're gonna be good, really good, again.  They'll be hard to beat.  The constant attrition they seem to experience in the assistant coaching department means they'll be on yet another new OC, but it hasn't hurt em yet.  Here's hoping...

59%

LSU:  We all know the good about LSU this year.  RETENTION.  LSU kept pretty much every starter on offense, with the exception of our 6th OL Foster Moreau.  On defense, obviously it's a tall order to replace a top 5 NFL draft pick, but I actually think the LBers as a whole will be a better unit THIS season, with the rest of the talented 2018 crew back and ready to go.  And DBU simply gonna DBU.  Greedy is gone, enter Derek Stingley, the highest rated CB in the history of CFB recruiting rankings.  Yeah, more highly thought of than Patrick Peterson, even.  And to be honest, Kristian Fulton had a way better season than even Greedy last year.  That's no joke.  Look it up.  He is graded as the top CB in the country statistically coming into 2019.  If you recall last season, prior to his injury, teams had actually started targeting Greedy's side more than Fulton's.  It's a no fly zone where 22 is on the field.  Period. 

The offense...returns a lot of starters and experience is YUGE.  Especially when it comes to QB.  I think Joe Burrow is underrated with folks looking quickly at his overall stats and not recognizing the trend of excellence toward the end of the season.  Joe "got it" as the year went on, and he's gonna surprise a lot of people this year.  Not me though.  Joe's as tough as I've seen, smart, gritty, coach's son, whatever...lunch pail dude.  But he's got talent on top of the intangibles and he's poised for a great season! 

The Brady effect remains to be seen.  LSU isn't going to throw 50 times/game (unless, ya know, 7 OTs or something).  But I do believe balance will be more present, and the entire offense, all these elite skill players we've been stockpiling for years, everyone will be involved.  We shouldn't have a "6th OL", instead we should have TEs that actually participate in the passing game. Namely, Stephen Sullivan.  Pettigrew is hopefully beyond his injury, and we may even find out Moss is a real person and is really on the LSU Tigers football team! 
Looking forward to it. 

Schedule helps all the way around IMO.  Every talking head keeps saying "Alabama in Tuscaloosa".  Well, let's just be honest here.  We absolutely beyond any shadow of a doubt play the Gumps better at their place than ours.  I mean, we're scoreless in the last two home games against them.  And...it's not going to be the big CBS night game this year.  I like that the build up may be diminished.  I just hope the TEAM can focus on the game and not the hype.  

25%

TAMU: Yeah, TAMU.  They lost a few pieces, primarily a great RB.  But they also return their QB who also improved big time as the season went on.  People will say what they will about Jimbo and how he left FSU, but that's more an indictment of his character than his coaching ability.  Jimbo was fed up with FSU admin and just quit.  He's still a championship coach, and given the resources he so desperately wanted at FSU, he will improve TAMU and they will be a threat to win championships.  

Is it this year?  HIGHLY unlikely.  They have a BEAR of a schedule with Clemson AT Clemson, AT UGA,  Gumps, and AT LSU.  With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if they win every other game on their schedule, and I actually think they'll win at least one of those games.  

I hope it's the Gumps!!  They aren't beating us in Tiger Stadium after last season, dammit. 

15%

AU:  So, is Gus on the hot seat or no?  I say no.  The other Tigers will have a phenomenal DL and if...IF Gus can find a QB, they will put up points.  I'm glad they're visiting Tiger Stadium this season and not the other way around.  I mean, every few years, AU comes out of nowhere to win the damn division.  FWIW, I hope THEY beat the Gumps too lol.  I don't see a 2013 or even 2017 season here with AU, but would it really shock you?  I do think they'll be improved with Gus running the offense again.  In case you didn't know, he's taken over as HC/OC again.  Don't sleep on the dude.  He's seriously inconsistent, but it might just be the year he pulls more rabbits out the hat. 

10%

MSU

It was hard not to include MSU in the "also rans", but there's a lot unknown, and they do have some players left over from the Mullen regime.  It's up to Coach Morehead to coach them. 

Year two of the Morehead project gets under way in Starkvegas.  Coach Morehead has admitted he underestimated the SEC and particularly the SEC West.  I don't think he's gonna do that again.  
Did he find a QB?  He's bringing in a transfer from...where else...Penn State.  From reports I've heard, kid is the real deal.  Touchdown Tommy, they call him.  Let's see if he also is underestimating the SEC.  Surely Morehead has advised against it lol. 

The defense they fielded last year should've gotten them 10 wins.  Can Morehead coach offense while fielding a dominant defense?  Remains to be seen.  But although the DL was demolished by the draft, the back end of the Bulldog defense remains a serious threat.  They have solid LB and even DB players back for another season.  I think the attrition on the DL is gonna be a HUGE detriment, but Morehead can coach offense, and with a decent defense, MSU will be a stout conference and division foe. 

1%

Ole goldenshower and Arkansas:

The "Also Rans".  

Matt Luke is not an SEC HC.  He's really not, and it's not his fault.  He's a place holder.  When you're at media days and are asked your goals for the season, and your response is 6 wins, come on man!  Coach speak at least!  

Sure, what he actually said was he hopes with their post season ban a thing of the past that they'll make the post season. But that takes 6 wins!

Which brings us to Arkansas...

Chad Morris...Aggy Chad...he's recruiting, I'll give him that!  But if you go winless in conference, I can't help but put you last for the following year in pre-season rankings.  He has to show something before he gets any credit, and although recruiting is the engine to success, EVERYONE recruits well in the SECW.  You have to win some games to be taken seriously, and he literally hasn't won a single game in this conference to date.  

The West is significantly deeper than the East.  Alabama is better than UGA, and LSU may well be also.  Hell, TAMU may be, but their schedule won't show it.  For that matter, FLORIDA may be better than UGA, but that's another story.  

AU is the wild card, and I don't see a team in the West coming out unscathed.  I believe the SEC Champ comes from the West, but it likely goes into the SECCG with a loss...or two?  

Gonna be a fun season regardless, can't wait!  

Great write up and I basically agree.

Regarding LSU vs InbredGumps, InbredGumps will be the favorite, and they should be on paper.  But they will play the game and it does not always turn out the way you thought just looking at the paper.  If InbredGumps's biorhythms are off a little for the day, and ours are on, we stand a chance to upset them.  If we can get some pressure on Tua and not give him all day to throw, maybe he'll make a mistake.  With our new offense maybe we can make them make a mistake on defense and give up a TD on the cheap.  We'll have to see how we are playing as the season goes along, but right now I think an upset is possible.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:55 AM, houtiger said:

If InbredGumps's biorhythms are off a little for the day, and ours are on, we stand a chance to upset them.

I don't cede superiority to Bama on any day.  I hear what you are saying, but the implication of the sentence is that Alabama has to be off of their game for LSU to have a chance.

I can't acknowledge that.

As long as our guys stay focused and do their task on every play, we have the talent to beat them on every Saturday.  The difference between LSU and Alabama is that this is what Saban gets his players to understand on every single play.

That - at its core - is what "The Process" is: use proper technique and win your battle on every play at every position.

It's about focus.

Constant focus.

Archived