Gameday Tigers

2021 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

6 hours ago, houtiger said:

sort of out of left field, I checked on TX running back Zach Evans, he signed with TCU on May 11.  Said he is the most touted RB out of TX since Adrian Peterson.

Zach’s a clown show. Patty might have outlived his shelf life at TCU. 

Edited by LSUDad

BOOM!

BREAKING: Four star LB Naquan Brown commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
July 1, 2020

Four-star edge rusher Naquan Brown‍ of Virginia Beach (Va.) Ocean Lakes has announced his commitment to LSU. 

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Brown announced his decision live on Instragram.  He chose LSU over Virginia Tech, Miami, Penn State, Tennessee, Pittsburgh and Maryland. 

In an interview with TigerBait.com last month, Brown was clear about why LSU was his favorite.

“The way they show love, it’s different,” Brown answered. “They care and they’re really interested in me.”

Brown was scheduled to visit LSU in the spring but that trip was cancelled due to the Covid-19 lockdown.  He instead received a virtual tour of the campus and has maintained consistent contact with Ed Orgeron, Christian LaCouture and others. 

With Brown’s decision, LSU now has 13 commitments for the class of 2021. 

• Like 1

I'm confused.  Marcel Brooks, who was great rushing from the outside last year, just left the program.  I think Brooks wanted to be the next Chaisson.  This Naquan Brown comes in, a little lighter than Brooks is now, and they say he is an edge rusher.  Is he going to play DE in the 4-3, he's too light unless they can put a lot on his 6' 3" frame.  Or is he going to be an outside LB in the 4-3, which can blitz but is not an edge rusher.

LSU lands commitment from 4-star 2021 DE out of Virginia; a top-200 overall recruit

Adam Spencer | 2 hours ago

The LSU Tigers have been recruiting heavily out of state this recruiting cycle, and on Wednesday evening, they landed their 11th out-of-state player among their 13 commits.

That commitment came in the form of 4-star DE Naquan Brown, a native of Virginia Beach, Virginia.

00:23
03:44

00:12

As you can see below, the talented defender announced via Instagram that he’d be heading to Baton Rouge in 2021 and beyond:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCHWLn1ArrU/

Per the 247Sports composite rankings, Brown is the No. 11 weak-side defensive end in the class of 2021 and the No. 7 overall recruit from the state of Virginia.

The Tigers now have 13 players in their 2021 recruiting class, which currently ranks No. 9 in the nation and No. 3 in the SEC, per 247Sports.

• Like 1

On a roll! 

BREAKING: Chris Hilton Jr. commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
July 3, 2020

LSU head football coach Ed Orgeron and the Tiger football program received some fantastic news on the eve of Independence Day as National 100 prospect Chris Hilton‍ Jr. has announced he's staying home for college. 

The four-star wide receiver from Zachary announced his LSU commitment via Twitter.  He chose the Tigers over Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M and many others.

With Hilton’s pledge, LSU now has 14 commitments for the class of 2021.  He is the Tigers third wide receiver in the class joining JoJo Earle‍ (Aledo, TX) and Deion Smith‍ (Jackson (Provine HS) Miss.  LSU is also in pursuit of four-star wide receiver Brian Thomas‍ of Walker High School.

Hilton has been a part of two class 5A state championship Zachary football teams (2017, 2018) . In 2019, he won the state indoor track championship in the high jump at 7’0. 

• Like 1

Keanu Koht commits to LSU

BySHEA DIXON 5 minutes ago 

The recruiting dominos keep falling for LSU, and this time, the Tigers dipped back into the Sunshine State for one of the top prospects in America.

On the 4th of July, Vero Beach (Vero Beach, Fla.) edge rusher Keanu Kohtpulled off a shocker when he committed to head coach Ed Orgeron and the Tigers after being a rumored lean for a while. Koht was the third commitment for LSU this week.

At 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, Koht has a double-digit offer list that included a lead group of Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Auburn, but he quietly had LSU out front as the Who's Who of Southeastern Conference programs battled for his commitment.

Koht is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 151 overall prospect in the 2021 class, checking in as the No. 10 weakside defensive end prospect in the country and No. 21 prospect in Florida. On the 247Sports Composite, Koht checks in at No. 245 overall, landing as the No. 16 weakside defensive end.

For LSU, it's the 10th commitment into the 2021 recruiting class, and the Tigers jumped back into the Top 10 to land at the No. 9 spot in the 247Sports Team Rankings, passing up Southern Cal and Minnesota with the verbal pledge from Koht. Tennessee (18 commitments) and Florida (12 commitments) are the lone two SEC programs ranked ahead of the Tigers for the current recruiting cycle.

This past season, Koht logged 42 tackles with an impressive eight sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss. He also forced one fumble and had one fumble recovery on the year.

Here's what 247Sports recruiting analyst Charles Power said about what Koht brings to the field, comparing him to Florida's Khris Bogle, who left high school in the 2019 class as a Top 50 prospect nationally.

"Has a streamlined, lean build," Power said. "Has room to add mass at over the next few years. Long-limbed and rangy. Twitchy and fluid in his movements with a bounce in his step. Wins with quickness and speed off the edge. Has a quick first step and has good instincts in timing the snap count. Shows bend and flexiblity in rounding the arc. Closes quickly to make plays behind the line of scrimmage both as a pass rusher and in pursuit. Has the physical framework to develop into a productive edge rusher in time. Many of his sacks and tackles for loss to this point have come as a result of being unblocked. Will need to continue adding play strength and nuance to his pass rush via technique. Projects as a Power Five starter on the edge with the upside to develop into an NFL Draft pick."

Koht's brother, Lars Koht, already spent time in the NFL, becoming a multi-year starter on the defensive line at Florida International before spending time on roster with both the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos.

A two-year starter on the defensive line for FIU that spent time with the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos.

Saw that Keanu Koht commitment, thought I might beat Dad to the punch, but no such luck.

Anyone else worried he is only a 4* player and weighs just 215 pounds???   (j/k guys and gals!)

Bill Johnson got him another one, good job Bill.  Moffitt will have to do a number on him.

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING: Four-star linebacker Greg Penn commits to LSU

July 12, 2020

The LSU football programs haul of high caliber defensive prospects for their 2021 recruiting class just got deeper. 

Greg Penn‍ of Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha Catholic announced Sunday afternoon that LSU is his college destination after considering other offers from Maryland, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Texas A&M and many others. 

The 6-foot-1, 225-pound Penn gives LSU their 16th commitment for the class of 2021 and he’s and he’s the ninth defensive pick-up. 

Last fall, Penn and his father were in Baton Rouge for the Tigers win over Florida.  He was supposed to return to LSU for a visit this spring but that was cancelled due to Covid-19.

LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini likes Penn’s versatility.

“He says I fit right into the new defense and what they’re trying to do,” Penn said. “He says I can play all three of the linebacker positions.”

Penn has gotten to know Pelini through many virtual conversations and campus tours this spring.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Garrett Nussmeier update:

WESTFIELD, Ind. - LSU quarterback commit Garrett Nussmeier had a strong showing at the QB Collective event held in the Indianapolis area over the weekend, with the Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus four-star leaving a big impression on the staff.

“Just explosive,” QB Collective instructor Will Hewlett stated. Nussmeier was one of 13 prominent signal-callers in the Hoosier State competing at the two-day camp.

”He’s grown since I last seen him (a summer ago) and was able to generate a lot of force,” Hewlett continued. “Very fluid, very whippy, one thing I like about him is he really thrives outside the pocket. When there is some pressure or off schedule stuff he does a great job to manipulate his body or arm to make any throw.”

Last season the 6-foot-1 1/2, 182-pound Nussmeier used those traits to throw for 3,788 yards and 38 touchdowns.

https://247sports.com/Article/Garrettt-Nussmeier-LSU-football-recruiting-QB-Collective-149617441/

Not the biggest guy but sounds like he can sling it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Collier talks top three on Decision Day

BySHEA DIXON 3 hours ago 

One of LSU's defensive back commitments is set to make his college choice on Monday.

Florida four-star Corey Collier will announce his decision between a final three that includes LSU, Florida and Miami.

Collier will announce the decision during a segment on CBS Sports HQ, a free 24/7 sports news network that can be streamed on mobile devices. The announcement is slated for 1:30 EST.

"I have been talking to LSU a lot. I have been talking to Florida a lot and I have been talking to UM a lot. All three are coming at me hard." Collier said in an interview this past weekend with 247Sports analyst Andrew Ivins. "I think I'm ready now just because with everything going on, I don't think waiting until signing day will be necessary. I'm just going to try and get it out of the way and secure a spot."

The GayTurds are the current 247Sports' Crystal Ball leader entering his announcement. On Sunday, Florida reeled in a five-star defensive back commitment in Jason Marshall, who attends the same high school (Miami Palmetto) as Collier.

Here's what Collier said about each of his finalists entering the announcement.

Florida: "Really it's the coaching staff, the facilities and I think I would have a chance to start there early because I know they are losing some safeties. I think I could play when I get there."

LSU: "Just the coaching staff. They are very cool, chill and laid back. All of them keep it real with me, even [Ed Orgeron]. They tell me about the campus, the players they got and what they are doing and all of that. (LSU recruiting coordinator and cornerbacks coach Corey Raymond is) very honest. He doesn't sugar coat anything. He tells you what it is and what it isn't."

Miami: "I talk to [Ephraim Banda] a lot. I talk to [Manny Diaz ]a lot. Those are the ones I got a good relationship with. Them and [Demarcus Van Dyke] and [David Cooney]."

Miami picked up a commitment last week from another teammate in Miami Palmetto five-star defensive tackle Leonard Taylor, which came after landing a commitment from Miami Palmetto three-star wide receiver Brashard Smith a few months prior.

"I noticed," Collier said when asked about his teammates. "But it doesn't really change anything with me because we are all going to make a decision on what we want to do with our football careers."

Collier hasn't cut off contact with any schools just yet, but his decision date does bring some clarity on his future.

"Oh, I know where I'm going," Collier said. 

Collier is the nation's No. 3 ranked safety this cycle according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

The All-American Bowl selection, who is listed at 6-2, 170 pounds, totaled 52 tackles and four interceptions as a junior. He also broke up 13 passes.

• 3 weeks later...

BOOM! 

BREAKING: Wiggins commits to LSU

BySHEA DIXON 32 minutes ago 

LSU has landed another commitment for the 2021 recruiting class, this time dipping into the Peach State for the first cornerback addition to the commitment list.

On Friday evening, Georgia four-star cornerback Nathaniel Wiggins committed to LSU over a double-digit offer list that came down to a final group that also included Southern Cal, Oregon and Florida.

Wiggins is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 6 cornerback prospect in the country and the No. 68 overall prospect in the class.

LSU now has 17 commitments for the 2021 class, and with the addition of Wiggins, head coach Ed Orgeron and his staff have moved up in the 247Sports Team Rankings to the No. 3 class in the country, trailing only Ohio State and Alabama. The Buckeyes and Crimson Tide both have 19 total commitments.

Wiggins was recruited to LSU by cornerbacks coach and recruiting coordinator Corey Raymond, and he joins another Atlanta native in Khari Gee as the second defensive back commitment into the 2021 class in Baton Rouge.

Here’s what 247Sports national analyst Greg Biggins said about what Wiggins brings to the field.

“Two-way standout with the skill set to end up at three different positions in college,” he said. “Is a high-end prospect at receiver, corner, and safety. He’s a smooth athlete, very skillful an uses his long 6-2 frame to win jump ball battles on both sides of the ball. As a corner, he shows good ball awareness and ball skills, the quickness and change of direction to shadow a receiver and enough long speed to run with some of the faster players down the field. As a receiver, he catches the ball naturally, runs well after the catch and shows goo timing on contested 50-50 balls. He has a lean frame with more of a corner frame but could grow into a rangy safety where his cover skills would be very affective in coverage. Shows high end instincts and a natural feel for the corner position and that’s probably where his upside is highest. Projects as an impact upper tier Power 5 starter and future mid round NFL draft pick.”

LSU currently has sophomores Derek Stingley Jr. and Cordale Flott set to start at cornerback, with the potential for Flott to also play nickel while bringing a newcomer like freshman Eli Ricks onto the field at cornerback opposite Stingley. LSU also returns two more second-year cornerbacks in Jay Ward and Raydarious Jones, and both saw action as true freshmen a year ago.

15COMMENTS

Beyond Wiggins, the Tigers have the chance to continue to add more defensive backs to the commitment list ahead of National Signing Day. LSU remains in the top three for Alabama five-star cornerback Ga’Quincy McKinstry, and Raymond continues to press for five-star Louisiana defensive back Sage Ryan, who is ranked as the nation’s No. 1 safety prospect on the 247Sports Composite. LSU safeties coach Bill Busch also has the Tigers in the mix for a handful of national safeties who remain uncommitted, including Pennsylvania’s Derrick Davis Jr., Texas’ Andrew Mukuba and Florida’s Terrion Arnold.

• Like 1

I remember 5 or 6 years ago, Saban had a recruit class with 6 - 5*, 17 - 4*, and 2 - 3*.  The next year he slipped down to 4 - 5*.  But they won a couple of Natty's.

O is getting LSU up to almost those type of numbers.

Now we've also got an offensive scheme to put the players in, one that is not one dimensional, no longer "stone age".

A few years ago we were concerned about out players tiring out in the 4th quarter, some questioned Tommy Moffitt.  Now that we've got better depth, it seems we can rotate guys and keep them fresher.  Moffitt looks like a better strength coach, but I doubt that he is.  He may just have better depth.

• Like 1

You rotate DL, but the OL players, play the entire game. DL depth is always needed. Two deep easy on the DL. OL, you need about 8 really good ones, backup to OT, OG and OC. 

Go back and look at the depth on the DL when we won the NC’s. 

An yes, what LSU is running, it’s going to help move the ball. We were short at one position on offense last year, TE. It was Moss, O and the staff fixed that. Another position, OC, Cush, had to play just about every snap. 

You have three TE’s coming in, two signed, and one, a Walkon from the baseball team. I need to find out how he’s doing. The usage of a two TE set, can be fun to watch, especially when going fast. Not allowing a defense to sub players. Too many things that can be done. Scott Linehan, likes to use this package. 

Scott spent around 15 years in high school and college before making it into the Pros. He was previously the head coach of the St. Louis Rams and the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions. Prior to becoming an NFL coach in 2002, Linehan was a college assistant coach for 13 seasons. 

Scott has seen it all. What he brings to the staff, way more than Brady. But what Brady left, we will only add. 

• Like 1

LSU Football Recruiting

BREAKING: Tight end Jalen Shead commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
August 30, 2020

Ed Orgeron and the LSU football program picked up some positive news on Sunday as Olive Branch, Miss. tight end Jalen Shead‍ announced his commitment to the Tigers.

Shead announced his commitment via social media:

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Shead was strictly a basketball player until last spring when his football coach convince him that he could be a major college football prospect if he put in the work.  After one season of football, he amassed over 20 scholarship offers.

Shead committed to LSU over Ole Piss and Alabama.  His Olive Branch teammate Xavier Hill is now a freshman offensive lineman after signing with LSU last December. 

With Shead’s pledge, LSU now has 18 commitments for the class of 2021.  He’s expected to be the Tigers lone tight end signed this year after signing Arik Gilbert and Kole Taylor last year.

Shead is being recruited to LSU by Tigers tight ends coach Derek Shay. 

• Like 1

Joe Burrow's Heisman talk, when he got to Coach O, the regard that the Heisman winning QB had for O, fully on display, and all the top recruits probably watched the show, that put O in the best light possible.  Joe Burrow helped LSU recruit this year.

I talked a couple of weeks ago about how recruiting these quality kids was building depth on the d-line, but with the upper classmen leaving for whatever reason, we have lost quality depth on the d-line.  Little hint of concern.