Gameday Tigers

2021 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

Tristan Leigh's family takes in another trip to LSU

• by Shea Dixon
  • 6 hours ago
9911463.png

Fairfax (Va.) Robinson Secondary five-star offensive tackle Tristan Leigh and his family were back in Baton Rouge this weekend for a multi-day stay, and it comes at a pivotal time for not just Leigh, but a handful of recruits who are on campus. He's also joined on the trip by his mother and brother, Aidan Leigh, who also holds an offer from LSU's staff.

Given the NCAA is currently in a dead period, college coaches can't have face-to-face contact with recruits, which has been a rule in place since the pandemic first shut things down for college staffs in mid-March. That said, the Tigers are following in the footsteps of schools like Oklahoma and Georgia with a player-led weekend where the recruits make plans to hang out together on and around campus.

Leigh was on campus in Norman for the "Sooner Summit" with Oklahoma commitments and targets, and now he's followed that trip up with a similar weekend spent in Baton Rouge with LSU's commitments and top targets. 

Leigh is also in town on the same weekend as LSU offensive tackle target Savion Byrd, who is ranked as a Top 100 prospect and is one of the top uncommitted prospect in America. Leigh and Byrd were also both at Oklahoma a couple weekends ago. They are just two names from a list of double-digit recruits and commitments who are in Baton Rouge this weekend to spend time together.

Leigh has been to the Tigers campus a couple times in the past and this could be his last look at the SEC program and defending National Champs before he makes a college decision.

LSU is battling the likes of Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio State and Clemson for the 6-foot-5, 270-pound Leigh who is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the country’s No. 11 prospect regardless of position. 

For the Tigers, the press has been led by offensive line coach James Cregg and head coach Ed Orgeron.

“He has developed a real special relationship with Coach (James) Cregg and Coach O over the last year and a half, both of us have,” said Leigh's mother, Laura Rigney. “We really, really like the school, like the coaching staff. We’re really disappointed we can’t see them this week but never the less we’re excited to be in the area and be with players on the same wave length. It’s going to be a lot of fun to meet the parents, meet the kids and kind of go from there.”

Here's what 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons said about Leigh as a prospect:

"Athletic, long-armed offensive line frame that will add mass quickly on the next level. Plays with good pad level. Nasty, blue collar, effort player. Doesn’t pass block much in HS but has shown in a camp setting a natural pass set. Mirrors well with basketball athleticism. Uses long arms effectively. Shows some stiffness laterally in the run game. Spends too much time on the ground. Needs to get stronger. Body type and movement skills are what you look for. May not be an instant starter but has the upside to be a multi-year impact Power Five starter with the potential to develop into a mid to early round draft pick."

Nussmeier taking the lead on LSU's recruiting weekend

BySHEA DIXON Sep 5, 7:06 PM 

LSU quarterback commitment Garrett Nussmeier is helping lead the way on a big recruiting weekend in Baton Rouge, and it comes with a unique set of circumstances.

The NCAA's ongoing dead period prohibits college coaches from having face-to-face contact with recruits, which has put a stop to all unofficial or official visits on campus with the coaching staff.

Because of the ruling, which has been in place since mid-March, some of LSU's commitments and targets decided to take an alternate route, and the idea was pushed through behind the scenes thanks in large part to commitments like Nussmeier.

On Saturday, Nussmeier made the drive in from Texas, stopping in Lake Charles to drop off supplies for victims of Hurricane Laura. He then made his way to Baton Rouge, and he was joined on the ride by Top 100 offensive tackle Savion Byrd - who is one of LSU's top remaining targets in the 2021 class.

“I put together this trip to try and get some guys that haven’t seen the campus and some commits that haven’t seen the campus and give them a chance to see what Baton Rouge has to offer,” Nussmeier said in an interview with 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Steve Wiltfong. “I’m pretty familiar with the area and also guys like Maason Smith who is very familiar with the area are going to kind of give the guys the tour and see what the area has to offer."

A handful of commitments joined Nussmeier in Baton Rouge, and uncommitted targets like five-stars Korey Foreman, Tristan Leigh, Maason Smith and Sage Ryan are all in attendance.

Here is what 247Sports recruiting analyst Gabe Brooks said this offseason about what Nussmeier brings to the field:

"Adequate height with an average frame. Should be able to get north of 200 pounds. Provides outstanding production against strong competition at Texas 6A level. Accurate passer to all levels. Shows good touch on timing routes and other deep throws outside the numbers. Flashes playmaking ability to make impressive off-schedule throws under pressure. That translates not only in game situations, but select 7-on-7 environments as well. Pro-style but quick-footed and shows ability to make first rusher miss to extend play. Encouraging ability to throw on the run. Physical ceiling may be limited. Ball gets out fairly quickly, but tightening the delivery will help. Occasionally takes unnecessary chances. Talented QB with gunslinger mentality and great football pedigree. Among the top Texas QB's in 2021 class. Projects to high-major level with possibility for long-term NFL Draft potential."

Following his recent performance at the QB Collective, Wiltfong caught up with some of the camp's instructors for more on how his game has developed through the offseason and into his senior year this fall.

”He’s grown since I last seen him (a summer ago) and was able to generate a lot of force,” QB Collective instructor Will Hewlett said. “Very fluid, very whippy, one thing I like about him is he really thrives outside the pocket. When there is some pressure or off schedule stuff he does a great job to manipulate his body or arm to make any throw.”

“He can make unorthodox throws when his feet aren’t perfectly set,” Rosenfels said. “He’s accurate. Has a stronger arm than guys like Drew Brees and a stronger arm than a lot of guys that play in the NFL.”

Nussmeier is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the country's No. 8 pro-style passer and No. 110 prospect overall. He is part of an LSU recruiting class that ranks No. 3 nationally.

• Like 1

Recruiting analyst predicts LSU football will land massive 4-star OT

http%3A%2F%2Fallfortennessee.com%2Ffiles%2F2013%2F09%2FZach-Ragan_avatar.JPGby Zach Ragan1 d ago

LSU football could be the team to beat for a massive 2021 four-star offensive tackle.

2021 four-star offensive tackle Savion Byrd is one of the top-rated recruits in the nation and LSU football is squarely in the mix to land him.

Byrd, 6-foot-7/315 lbs Duncanville, TX, is rated in 247Sports’ composite rankings as the No. 6 offensive tackle in the nation and the No. 8 player in the state of Texas. He’s also rated as the No. 43 overall 2021 recruit in the nation.

The Texas native was part of the group that visited Baton Rouge earlier this month with four-star Tigers commit Garrett Nussmeier and top LSU targets Maason Smith and Korey Foreman.

Nussmeier told Rivals after the trip that he felt like Byrd was the recruit who was most impressed by Baton Rouge.

“I think the person, to be honest with you, that was most impressed Savion Byrd,” said Nussmeier.

Rivals recruiting analyst Sam Spiegelman feels the trip made enough of an impression on Byrd that he’s predicting the Tigers will land the talented offensive lineman.

“Recent unofficial trips to Oklahoma for the Sooner Summit and LSU for the Tiger Turnout have certainly given Byrd more to consider entering his senior campaign,” wrote Spiegelman this week, before predicting that LSU would land the four-star offensive tackle.

What would LSU football get in Byrd?

The first thing that jumps out about Byrd is obviously his size. Having a 6-foot-7/315 lb offensive lineman is how you win in the trenches in the SEC. He definitely fits LSU’s offense. 

247Sports midland region recruiting analyst Gabe Brooks says Byrd “wears his weight well and is built athletically relative to size with ample space for more bulk”.

Brooks also notes that Byrd “shows quickness at the snap and flashes impressive functional athleticism”.

The Tigers currently have 18 players committed to their 2021 recruiting class, which is ranked No. 4 in the nation.

• Like 1

Savion Byrd obviously sounds like an outstanding recruit.  18 commits, the class is filling up, not that many spots open, seven left.  O has always been a good recruiter.  He has a great personality for relating to young football players.  I like him, he has a good energy level, he can motivate me.  What he got last year was something he lacked, CREDIBILITY.  He changed the offense (and it worked), and he ran the table, beat InbredGumps, won the SEC and a natty!  And Joe Burrow showed him the love in his Heisman acceptance speech!  It doesn't get any better than that.  O is in as good a position as a recruiter right now, as he ever has been, or likely will be in.  That 2020 class was excellent, Elias Ricks, Arik Gilbert, Kayshon Boutte.  The 2021 class looks excellent so far, and depending on the finish, should be excellent as well.

Geaux Tigers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

BREAKING: Matthew Langlois commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
October 26, 2020

It has been just over two weeks since class of 2021 safety Matthew Langlois‍ of New Roads (La.) Catholic Pointe Coupee received a scholarship offer from LSU head football coach Ed Orgeron. 

After having been a Kansas State commitment for several months, Langlois tells TigerBait.com he’s now a Tiger.

“I’m pretty excited, I’ve been talking about it for awhile,” Langlois said. “Since they offered me I just wanted to see if they were going to recruit me like any other big recruit.

“I believe in coach Busch and all of them and that was the biggest thing to see if they wanted me.”

The 6-foot, 190-pound Langlois other scholarship offers include, Notre Dame, Washington State, West Virginia, Northwestern University, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Houston, UL-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech and Arizona.

“LSU nationally has always been a really great school and team,” Langlois said. “I want to play at the highest level of college football and play against the best athletes.”

With his commitment, LSU now has 19 commitments for the class of 2021.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I saw he was a 3* on the service I checked.  Does it mean other top recruits we are after are leaning other ways?

Could be. He plays at a small school.  At times these kids get lost in the shuffle and are a little more difficult to evaluate b/c of the level of competition they against.  I don't following recruiting nearly as closely as I used to. Too much drama etc.

• Like 1

O talked this week about true freshmen playing, like Arik Gilbert, Eli Ricks, Kayshon Boutte, and TJ Finley.  He feels this is still a big recruiting item for LSU, it doesn't matter if you are a freshman, soph, jr. or sr., the best player is gonna play.  If you are a 5*, come on down!!!

• Like 1

YES!!!!!!!

LSU secured a verbal commitment from the highest-ranked safety in the country Saturday. Sage Ryan, a senior from Lafayette Christian Academy, committed to LSU, picking the Tigers over Alabama. He became the highest-ranked recruit in LSU's 2021 class. Ryan made the announcement during a ceremony at his high school gym.

• Like 1

Hits just keep on coming!

BREAKING: Jack Bech commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
November 1, 2020

Class of 2021 wide receiver Jack Bech‍ of Lafayette (La.) St. Thomas More has announced his decision to play football at LSU after receiving a scholarship offer from Ed Orgeron eight days ago. 

Bech gave Orgeron his commitment Friday morning.  He spoke with TigerBait.com Friday night about his decision in this exclusive video interview.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Bech is a four-star wide receiver according to TigerBait.com.  He chose LSU over offers from Notre Dame, TCU, Mississippi State and Texas.  Until last week, he was a verbal commitment to Vanderbilt.  

Walker Howard talks about his excitement over Jack Bech to LSU (premium)

Shane Savoie has the 411 on tenacious Jack Bech (premium)

Newest Jack Bech highlight video in glorious 1080p (premium)

“Family is in Louisiana and I grew up in Louisiana being a Tiger fan and I always wanted to play in Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night,” Bech said. “To be able to walk out with the state on your chest and your name on your back.

“So, that being said, I committed to LSU today (Friday).”

Bech surpassed Britt Broadhead as the all-time receiving leader in St. Thomas More history earlier this season.  Through five games in 2020, Bech has totaled 27 receptions for 589 yards and 10 touchdowns.  He’s also added one rushing touchdown and another punt return for a score.

He finished the 2019 season with 91 receptions for 1,668 yards and 20 touchdowns, which helped St. Thomas More win the Division II state championship.

With his pledge, LSU now has 21 commitmentsfor the class of 2021.

• Like 1

Hold that Tiger: Jack Bech Commits to LSU

Tigers add second in-state commit of the weekend

1229386521.0.jpg

Photo by Gus Stark/Collegiate Images/Getty Images

Saturday may have been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day for the LSU football team, but the recruiting trail has been kind as the Tigers picked up a commitment from St. Thomas More wide receiver Jack Bech.

image.gif.3e79e841a88fa63bd2df9d87ed238fc6.gif

Bech, a four-star wide receiver/tight end, originally committed to Vanderbilt but received an offer from LSU October 24. Four days later, Bech decommitted from the Commodores and pledged to the Tigers Sunday evening.

Last season Bech caught 91 passes for 1,668 yards and 20 touchdowns and helped St. Thomas More win the Division II Louisiana State Championship. Bech comes from a good pedigree, his uncles Brett and Blain both played receiver at LSU, with Blain Bech helping the Tigers win the 2003 national championship. Bech’s quarterback at St. Thomas More is Walker Howard, who is part of LSU’s 2022 recruiting class.

Bech is the second commitment in as many days for LSU. Yesterday, LSU got a commitment from Lafayette Christian Academy’s Sage Ryan, the No. 1 safety in the 2021 recruiting class and No. 28 player overall.

As it stands now, LSU’s 2021 recruiting class is No. 4 in 247’s rankings. The Tigers have 21 commitments, with four spots remaining. LSU is still in contention to add three five-star players, defensive end Korey Foreman, offensive tackle Tristan Leigh, and defensive tackle Maason Smith.