Gameday Tigers

2021 LSU Football Commitments

LSUDad

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

National Early Signing day is tomorrow, Wed. 12/16!  We need a great class!

Geaux Tigers!

Yep, Geaux Tigers!

Some will sign tomorrow, some will hold off. A few will sign on TV, first is 11:00, ESPN 2. Another 3:30 pm. The numbers have verbals at or on 19, but we may sign less than that. 
Keep an eye on 2021 juco LB Navonteque Strong, the Tigers are in on him, with the great chance of Cox leaving for the NFL, Strong is one that the Tigers plug in quickly. 

Another is 

Four-star running back Armoni Goodwin. Goodwin, a 5-foot-8, 190-pound speedster from Hewitt-Trussville High in Trussville, Alabama, reported an offer from LSU back in February and has since built a strong relationship with running backs coach Kevin Faulk.

I know OL is a major part of this class, having only one verbal, but we will see. The staff is looking at a number of JC, and Grad Sr transfers. Still looking at a couple high school kids. 

Tomorrow will be a start, then work the numbers for the final signing day in February. 

Ive talked with a family about their young man, being a preferred Walk-on at LSU. With LSU having low numbers, this is an option for a few kids. 

• Like 1

So far! 

LSU's Signing Day Guide

BySHEA DIXON 74 minutes ago 

The LSU football staff enters the day with 19 commitments in the 2021 recruiting class, and head coach Ed Orgeron said he plans to sign a full 25-man class between additions in the Early Signing Period, February's National Signing Day, and potentially the NCAA Transfer Portal this offseason.

The first signees will roll in on Wednesday morning, and we're expecting around 15-16 of the current commitments to sign with the Tigers. Three commitments (WR JoJo Earle, LB Raesjon Davis, S Khari Gee) are all expected to sign in February, so they won't be part of the Early Signing Period conversation this week.

The lone other LSU commitment we are monitoring is Keanu Koht, who could potentially pull a Signing Day surprise by flipping away from the Tigers. If he moves off his commitment to LSU, keep an eye on Alabama, one of a handful of teams who have offers out to the Sunshine State edge rusher. Koht's announcement ceremony comes at 9 a.m. CST.

Signed

Jack Bech 
Greg Penn 

Garrett Nussmeier

Garrett Dellinger 

Peyton Todd 

Announcement Times (CST)

Jalen Shead: 7:00 AM
Keanu Koht: 9:00 AM (Potential Flip Watch)
Landon Jackson: 10:30 AM
Derrick Davis: 11:00 AM
Matthew Langlois 11:30 AM
Damarius McGhee 11:45 AM (Crystal Ball Favorite: LSU)
Deion Smith 12:00 PM
Maason Smith 3:30 PM (Crystal Ball Favorite: LSU)
Chris Hilton 3:30 PM
Corey Kiner 2:00 PM
Sage Ryan 4:00 PM
Armoni Goodwin 6:00 PM (Crystal Ball Favorite: LSU)
Zavier Carter - TBD
Saivion Jones - TBD
Bold: LSU targets who could commit and sign with the Tigers on Wednesday

Who else should LSU fans keep an eye on?

Navonteque Strong ... The longtime Mississippi State commitment reopened his recruitment on Tuesday, and now plans to sign on Wednesday. All signs point to LSU, and the 247Sports Crystal Ball reflects that for the nation's No. 1 middle linebacker prospect.

Logan Diggs ... The Notre Dame running back commitment out of the New Orleans area is mulling over his options. He's got an LSU offer and has a spot in the class in Baton Rouge, but will he jump on the opportunity or stick with the Fighting Irish. With a three-day window in the Early Signing Period, Diggs said he was unsure which date this week he might sign. Once he comes to a final decision, he will make the move to ink with either LSU or Notre Dame.

Bryce Langston ... The uncommitted four-star defensive tackle out of Florida has had the GayTurds and LSU as his frontrunners for nearly a year. Florida's class has filled up quickly, and word out of Gainesville is the GayTurds are not pushing Langston to sign this week but rather wait until February's National Signing Day. Could that open the door for LSU to make the move to sign Langston on Wednesday? Don't count it out as the Tigers work to finalize what the class will look like coming out of the Early Signing Period.

LSU signs a Top 100 offensive tackle

BySHEA DIXON 2 hours ago 

The news is now official.

The LSU football staff has received a signed letter of intent from Michigan four-star Garrett Dellinger, who is ranked by the 247Sports Composite as a Top 100 prospect in the 2021 class.

LSU offensive line coach James Cregg traveled to Michigan to reel in the edge protector this summer, and now Dellinger has put pen to paper and will enroll at LSU next month.

Dellinger is ranked as the nation's No. 14 offensive tackle prospect by both 247Sports and the 247Sports Composite rankings. He's also a consensus top five prospect in Michigan.

Dellinger was LSU's lone offensive line commitment entering the day, a number that the Tigers hope to grow by the time the class hits 25 signees.

Here's the 247Sports evaluation from Allen Trieu.

"Tall, but is naturally broad-shouldered and will be able to carry a lot of good weight in college. Very good athlete who has also played varsity basketball since his freshman season. Plays tough and gets off the ball with good pad level. Has balance and coordination in space. Good strength given his age, still continuing to make progress in that department will be key for him the next couple of years. Has experience at both guard or tackle. Solid bender, can still keep improving in the flexibility department. Pass set is good because of his feet and athletic ability but we have not seen him go against elite pass-rushers yet. Likely projects more to tackle eventually. High-level prospect with great physical tools, experience competing against good competition in several sports and intangibles as well. Will be an impact player and early round NFL draft choice with proper progression."

TigerBait.com's Louisiana Top-15 for 2021

By Mike Scarborough
December 15, 2020

TigerBait.com's final Louisiana rankings for the class of 2021.

After much in-person scouting, film study and deliberation, St. James defensive end Saivion Jones‍ is TigerBait.com’s top Louisiana prospect. 

Jones stands at 6-foot 5, 240-pounds plus and will have no problems packing significant amounts of muscle onto his tall angular frame.   

Jones has not scratched the surface of his potential and of all the Louisiana prospects he might have the highest amounts of untapped ceiling.  His burst of speed off the edge as well as his length make him a force to be reckoned with. 

He’s a combination of former LSU linebacker Barkevious Mingo and former South Carolina Gamebock Jadeveon Clowney. 

Saivion Jones is Louisiana’s Top Prospect(premium)

FINAL TigerBait.com Louisiana Top-15 for 2021

1. Saivion Jones‍, Defensive end, St. James High School

2. Maason Smith‍, Defensive line, Terrebone High School

3. Sage Ryan‍, Safety, Lafayette Christian Academy

4. Chris Hilton‍, Wide receiver, Zachary High School 

5. Jack Bech‍, Wide receiver, St. Thomas More

6. Brian Thomas‍, Wide receiver, Walker High School

7. Malik Nabers‍, Wide receiver, Southside High School

8. Logan Diggs‍, Running back, Rummel High School

9. Byron Turner‍, Defensive end, St. Augustine

10. Shield Taylor‍, Tight end, Alexandria Senior High

11. Matthew Langlois‍, Safety, Catholic High of Pointe Coupee

12. Jardin Gilbert‍, Safety, University High School

13. Destyn Hill‍, Wide receiver, Edna Karr

14. Kaine Williams‍, Safety/linebacker, John Ehret

15.  Ke'Travion Hargrove‍, Running back, Ruston High School    

Coach O Says LSU Has Silent Commits That Will Sign February: “You’ll Be Excited..."

by TD Staff ReporterDecember 16, 2020

ed-orgeron-10287_rs1.jpg

Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports
Ed Orgeron recapped LSU's Early Signing Day class during his radio show Wednesday night and said that the Tigers have some silent commits that will be signing in February.  

Earlier in the show, Orgeron said they have room for five more recruits in the class and will look to fill those spots with offensive linemen.  

• Like 1

Bingo! 

LSU snags former 'shoe-in' recruit for Florida as 4-star Sunshine State DE signs with Tigers

Sydney Hunte | 1 hour ago

Florida will be hoping to knock off a heavily-favored Alabama team for the SEC Championship title on Saturday. It will come a week after it fell to LSU in Gainesville in its final regular-season game of the year.

The Tigers have beaten out the GayTurds again, and this time it’s come on the recruiting trail. Four-star defensive end Bryce Langston announced his college destination on Twitter on Friday, and he will be leaving the Sunshine State to play for Ed Orgeron and LSU.

Langston, the No. 12 strongside defensive end in the country and the No. 22 player in Florida, starred at Vanguard High School in Ocala, 45 minutes from Gainesville. So this was a pledge that practically came out of the backyard of the GayTurds.

In the Tigers’ defense, they have won a national championship more recently than the GayTurds, and things like this happen all the time across the country. Still, Dan Mullen and his staff are hoping that missing out on Langston doesn’t end up haunting them in the end.

• Like 1

A few hours after Gee’s flip, LSU officially signed 4-star defensive end Bryce Langston (6-3, 270), who is an outstanding addition to the class.

270 lbs., now that sounds like a DE that can set the edge in a 4- 3 defense.  Apu Ika figured out his body type didn't fit what was needed to play in the 4 - 3, he's a 3 - 4 nose tackle.  It appears to me the transition to the 4 -3 hurt us this year as we didn't have the correct personnel to play it.  It's not surprising, and the way to get there is to declare the 4-3, play it and recruit the correct kids to play it better.

Bo agrees with you HT but I’ve read that O disagrees with that theory and he points out 4-3 v 3-4 shouldn’t matter for the DBs.  Not saying Bo is gonna get the hook but I don’t sense complete harmony between the two. Early on O vocally supported Bo and that became less and less. We’ll see what happens 

A special friendship between Ohio’s best football player and a janitor at his high school

Roger Bacon’s Corey Kiner was named the top High School Football player in the state of Ohio – but before taking any credit himself, Corey said ‘thanks’ to the people who believed in him along the way.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fewscripps-brightspot.s
By: Caleb Noe
Posted at 8:14 PM, Dec 14, 2020 
and last updated 11:57 AM, Dec 15, 2020

ST. BERNARD, Ohio — Last week, Roger Bacon High School senior Corey Kiner was named the top high school football player in the state of Ohio.

There’s more to this young man, though, than football.

He might be the first winner of the Mr. Football award to thank his school’s janitors during his acceptance speech.

"Nobody has more [Roger] Bacon spirit than Jeff,” said Kiner.

Kiner was referring to Jeff Rapking, the custodian who has made a big impact on his time at the high school.

"I say 'There's #22, Corey,’” said Rapking, who has been a custodian at Roger Bacon for more than 35 years.

"If there's days where I'm sad or mad, I see Jeff and he says 'There goes 22,’” explained Kiner. “My frown turns to a smile instantly."

Rapking is intellectually disabled but has never let that keep him from his work.

"I take trays to the kitchen and clean the floors and tables,” Rapking said.

Rapking is known as Roger Bacon High School’s biggest football fan. He’s also a big fan of Corey Kiner.

“Corey is so good. He scores a lot of touchdowns,” said Rapking.

Rapking has seen 35 of his birthdays come and go at Roger Bacon, but last year’s may be the most memorable.

"That was nice,” recalled Rapking.

"Jeff puts a smile on my face,” said Kiner. “To be able to put a smile on his face meant the world to me.”

Kiner had a shirt made with Rapking’s name on it, along with the school logo. He got every one of Roger Bacon’s football players to sign it.

That was the first time Kiner gave Rapking a shirt, but it wasn't the last.

“It's been a tradition at Roger Bacon for a very long time,” explained Assistant Athletic Director Brandon Spaeth. “Every senior presents a staff member at Roger Bacon with their jersey.”

“I was just thinking, how happy would it make Jeff if I gave him my jersey?” said Kiner.

Kiner gave his jersey to Rapking during the 2020 season. Rapking wore it at a Roger Bacon football game.

“I love it,” said Rapking. “Twenty-two, that was his number. Corey.”

Life is not always about the awards we win, but instead, the people who believed in us along the way.

“[Jeff is the] first person to say ‘Good job’ and ‘There goes 22’ every day. So I let him be ‘22’ for the day,” said Kiner.

Kiner is scheduled to sign his National Letter of Intent with Louisiana State University (LSU) on Wednesday, and Rapking said he hopes to see Kiner play in college someday soon.

12 hours ago, houtiger said:

270 lbs., now that sounds like a DE that can set the edge in a 4- 3 defense.  Apu Ika figured out his body type didn't fit what was needed to play in the 4 - 3, he's a 3 - 4 nose tackle.  It appears to me the transition to the 4 -3 hurt us this year as we didn't have the correct personnel to play it.  It's not surprising, and the way to get there is to declare the 4-3, play it and recruit the correct kids to play it better.

Apu’s problems aren’t on the field. I’ve went over this 4-3, 3-4 before. You can use a NT in both. A couple Tigers Bennie Logan and Kyle Williams both had formation changes during their careers. They didn’t move to other teams. Both Selvin and Apu would have worked in this defense, both were good on the field, once off, that’s what ended their fates. 

• Like 1

LSU 2021 Quarterback Garrett Nussmeier Excited to Get on Campus After Officially Signing With Tigers

Nussmeier talks 2021 class, injury rehab and coaching changes

Garrett Nussmeier has been a leader for the 2021 LSU class since committing to the program back in May. His game has evolved over the years but none more so than this last season for Marcus High School. 

Nussmeier's senior season ended on a bit of a bummer after showing marked improvement in his arm strength and mobility throughout the course of the year. On his senior night, just before Marcus High School's run through the Texas state playoffs, Nussmeier suffered a season ending broken bone to his non-throwing hand that has left him in rehab mode for the better part of the last month. 

His rehab has gone ahead of schedule and while he's still on course to miss about a month, he couldn't be more excited to get down to Baton Rouge as an early enrollee on Jan. 9. 

1:00/1:01
logo.png

With 20 players signed to the 2021 class, the faces have certainly changed over the last couple of weeks than what Nussmeier had envisioned for the past few months. The Tigers lost commitments from longtime members of the class in Keanu Koht, JoJo Earle and Raesjon Davis but gained defensive tackle Maason Smith, receiver Malik Nabers, running back Armoni Goodwin, linebacker Navonteque Strong, cornerback Demarius McGhee and defensive end Bryce Langston. 

It's a group that the 2021 quarterback Nussmeier is excited about and has spent the time since the Early Signing Period getting to know some of the newest additions to the class. 

0:24/1:21
logo.png

"It was a big day for us, to gain the guys we gained, we really tore it up in my opinion," Nussmeier said. "I'm really excited about the class and about the core that we already had, I think it's really special and a really motivated group that wants to come in and make an impact and really change the way things are right now."

With five open spots remaining, Nussmeier, Smith and the rest of the class are campaigning hard for Virginia tackle Tristan Leigh, who figures to be at the top of the list for the purple and gold as the signing class winds down. Leigh is set to announce his decision on Jan. 2 and sign in February with the program he chooses. 

"The way we're recruiting Tristan, I'm really excited to see the decision he makes. I like our chances," Nussmeier said. "I'm sure there'll be more guys we're full speed ahead after before signing day ends. I'm super excited to see where things go."

Nussmeier and the class as a whole has seen the struggles that came with this past 2020 season for the purple and gold. While it may scare some away, it's actually been a situation where the incoming class can see opportunity to contribute right away. 

The Tigers played many freshmen and sophomores over the team's final two wins over Florida and Ole Piss to end the season 5-5. With a new crop of 20 players as it currently stands, Nussmeier knows those opportunities will only heighten for guys like him, Smith and safety Sage Ryan.

"We're a pretty close group, we talk everyday in our group chat and have a pretty strong relationship," Nussmeier said. "The message they sent us was 'hey you guys can see how you can make an impact.' I wouldn't say we took it to worrisome as a class. I think it just made us open our eyes more to bigger opportunities and chances to make impact."

For Nussmeier in particular, he enters a packed quarterback room with LSU returning Myles Brennan as well as freshmen TJ Finley and Max Johnson who both earned significant playing time as true freshmen. Nussmeier has only interacted with the quarterbacks a handful of times through recruiting visits before the COVID-19 pandemic but is looking forward to getting on campus and competing with all three. 

"I'm really excited to get to go compete with them and have a positive, competitive atmosphere in the quarterback room," Nussmeier said. 

LSU is in the midst of a coaching carousel that has affected both the offense and the defensive side of the ball. On offense, coach Ed Orgeron is looking for replacements at offensive coordinator and passing game coordinator, previously held by Steve Ensminger and Scott Linehan. 

ADVERTISING

The Linehan and Nussmeier families go way back as Garrett's father, Doug, was once coached by Linehan at Idaho and later coached under Linehan for the St. Louis Rams. Nussmeier admitted to being disappointed with not being able to be coached by Linehan but knows that Orgeron will find a great replacement. 

"I'm really gonna miss coach Ensminger," Nussmeier said. "He was the first guy to offer me, the first guy to take a chance on me and he kept recruiting me through the entire process and I'm forever grateful to him. I know he'll still be around which is good for us."

Now that he's signed, sealed and delivered to LSU, Nussmeier says first and foremost the goal is just to get healthy for spring ball and start learning the offense as soon as possible. As far as on the field goals, there aren't many at the moment as he just wants to adjust to college life as quickly as possible while being as competitive as possible in the quarterbacks room. 

"I'm really excited to get the feel of college football," Nussmeier said. "I'm a kid who loves the grind so getting to go to practice, come home, go to meetings, go home, go lift, that's exciting to me and I'm really looking forward to it."

• Like 1

Why LSU Football Signee Deion Smith Is Missing Piece to Receiver Corps

Smith possesses speed, ball skills to make him an impactful contributor in year one

BRIAN SMITH

19 HOURS AGO

One incoming freshman wide receiver has a chance to be a really special player for LSU. His speed could be the final piece to what LSU needs moving forward.

LSU will bring in several elite skill position prospects for the class of 2021. Which ones actually contribute early will depend on many different combinations of events playing out -- like learning the playbook, conditioning and weightlifting -- before everyone truly knows which recruits make the biggest splashes during the 2021 season. There's one in particular who could burst onto the scene with little to no trouble as it's a position group completely up for grabs. 

If there’s a player within the LSU recruiting class that can wow a crowd with straight line speed, it’s Deion Smith. LSU needs another deep threat to augment the talents of Kayshon Boutte, Koy Moore and Arik Gilbert. All three freshmen made big plays during the 2020 season, but Smith brings an added dimension to Baton Rouge.

0:05/0:30

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound burner from Jackson (Miss.) Jackson Academy places defensive coordinators in an unenviable position. Who do you double? Which situations will be best to blitz, if at all? Play zone and keep everything in front of us?

All three of LSU’s current freshmen possess special talents, but Smith truly is the final piece to make the LSU offense an elite passing game. The 2019 season is proof of what the combination of a horizontal and vertical passing game can do to defenses.

Even when Joe Burrow was under serious duress, the speed of Ja’Marr Chase often provided an outlet where Burrow could throw a deep ball and Chase made a play. To be in that position, however, Chase’s speed was often the key element. 

0:03/0:30

You cannot teach it. It’s God-given. That burst, that separation. Chase possessed that extra gear even when going against elite cornerbacks that few possessed. Smith’s style of play is very much like Chase.

Now, nobody is saying Smith is going to come to LSU and immediately be Chase. That’s a ridiculous notion. Burrow isn’t walking into Tiger Stadium again either. With that said, LSU’s wide receiver riches are complete once Smith learns some of the basic concepts of the offense, allowing him to take the top off the defense on one side of the field with Boutte lined up on the other side of the field. 

Perhaps the biggest aspect of Smith’s game to improve between now and next September would be adding muscle mass. He’s a skinny player right now, but Chase needed to add a little muscle when he arrived as well. Let’s see what Smith does over the course of the next nine months.

It’s up to Smith to make an impact by way of his effort between now and next fall camp. He’s a burner. Combined with Boutte, another speedster, and Moore and Gilbert, that’s an incredible group. Ironically, LSU’s wide receiver riches will also include Chris Hilton from nearby Zachary High School. He’s another talented wide receiver that’s as crafty as he is fast. 

Perhaps the combination of Hilton and Smith will push one another? Competition often breeds success. Bottom line, LSU possesses a unique blend of elite wide receiver talent in the class of 2021, and Smith appears to be the best bet for another star freshman wide receiver. LSU fans should be truly excited to see this young man play. He’s a special talent.

• Like 1

This was on DandyDon.com yesterday.  We know we need attention to the o-line and I have seen this guy's name as a target for the last month. 

Now for some football recruiting news. You might recall from yesterday’s report that offensive guard Kimo Makaneole named LSU and Florida State as his top two teams, and that we said the fact that he didn’t sign with the Seminoles in the early period was a good sign for LSU. Well, here’s an even better sign: Yesterday he de-committed from Florida State. I’m feeling very good about LSU’s chances of signing him in February. 

LSU starts 2021 with a big commitment from OL Kimo Makaneole

b039kqqi8bovt5ulkncy

kaw74mbmwsexsvwrfruf
Julie Boudwin • TigerDetails
Staff Writer

LSU started off 2021 with a much-needed big boom -- and not from fireworks.

At 12:01 a.m. on Jan. 1, three-star offensive lineman 

Kimo Makaneole announced his commitment to the Tigers, just days after backing off his pledge to Florida State.

LSU offered the 6-foot-5, 285-pound lineman out of Niceville, Fla., in August and it made an immediate impact on his decision. He committed to the Seminoles in late July, but decided not to sign during the Early Signing Period. 

Makaneole and his family visited Baton Rouge for the season finale against Ole Piss. It was after the weekend visit that he decided he wanted to be a Tiger.

LSU only signed one offensive lineman (Garrett Dellinger) thus far, but are still in the mix for Tristan Leigh, Eric Wilson and Jordan Moko.

• Like 1

Is LSU's safety class now complete for 2021?

BySHEA DIXON 20 hours ago 

The safety class in Baton Rouge appears set for the 2021 cycle.

On Saturday, Baton Rouge four-star Jardin Gilbert announced his college decision, picking Texas A&M over a double-digit offer list that included the Tigers. Gilbert had an LSU hat on the table when it came to decision day, but the choice ultimately went in favor of the Aggies. He also told 247Sports recruiting analyst Steve Wiltfong that he inked with the Aggies in December.

For LSU, it appears the safety haul is now all but set for the 2021 class. 

The bigger question now becomes who will coach the safeties room, with LSU and safeties coach Bill Busch parting ways following the 2020 season. LSU cornerbacks coach Corey Raymond remains the lone defensive backs coach on staff. Raymond had previously coached the entire defensive backs room prior to the hire of Busch ahead of the 2018 season, but there's been no announcement made by LSU on which direction head coach Ed Orgeron will go from here when it comes to naming a new safeties coach or combining the two rooms under Raymond.

LSU signed 20 prospects in December, and three were safeties.

Lafayette's Sage Ryan, the No. 2 safety in the country on the 247Sports Composite rankings, inked with the Tigers as the second-highest ranked signee in the class, sitting behind only fellow five-star and Louisiana native Maason Smith. 

Ryan gives LSU an instant impact-type prospect at the safety spot, and he's also versatile enough to help out at nickel as an extra defensive back. It also gave the staff a big win over Alabama on the recruiting trail, keeping Ryan at home for college after a hard press by Nick Saban and the Tide.

“That was a battle,” Orgeron said. “That was a big-time get. One of the top players we signed. Kevin Faulk and Corey Raymond did a great job. We were battling for him right down until the end.

“You know, in the past, maybe we had lost that battle. When you get them, people say ‘well they should have come to LSU.’ But I tell you what, there were some great battles to keep our guys in-state. And we kept them all in-state. What a great job by our coaching staff.”

The third-highest ranked signee behind Smith and Ryan is another safety in Pennsylvania's Derrick Davis Jr., who is set to enroll early at LSU this month. Davis is ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the No. 3 safety in the 2021 class, giving LSU a pair of top three safeties in this class.

“We needed safeties,” Orgeron said. “Sage was the No. 1 rated safety in the country right here from Louisiana, and we got him. Then we go and get the No. 3 rated safety in the country.

"Derrick Davis was on my wish list the first time I saw him. And he also plays tailback. He’s a great player and a big safety, exactly what we need.”

The third safety in the boat for LSU is Louisiana's Matthew Langlois, a multi-sport athlete out of Catholic High of Pointe Coupee. Langlois has some impressive verified track times and gives the Tigers a Top 30 safety on 247Sports who can play sideline to sideline.

“I think our fans are really going to love him,” Orgeron said of Langlois. “A tough, hard-nosed player. He reminds me of the type of player Jacob Hester was, just on defense. He loves the Tigers and he makes a lot of plays. He’s very impressive.

“We have done a great job with guys in the state of Louisiana who maybe weren’t the highest-ranked player, like Justin Jefferson or Clyde Edwards-Helaire, but these guys are tremendous football players and love the Tigers. I’m so glad to have them. Everything you say about those guys, they have character and grit. They want to be a Tiger.”

With three safeties on board and three open spots left in the class, it is likely the Tigers address other needs at the safety position moving forward.

LSU loses one starter at safety in JaCoby Stevens, who entered the 2021 NFL Draft pool. That said, one starter is back in Maurice Hampton, and two other safeties are expected to return in true freshman Jordan Toles and junior Todd Harris. It's unclear at this stage what the plans are for senior Cameron Lewis, who was not docked a year of eligibility during the 2020 season.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Bayou 25 is a list of the best players in the state of Louisiana for the Class of 2021 so this is a senior only list. This list is based on the best players from a talent stand point and upside, not from All-State or All-District Teams. We at Louisiana Football Magazine have a 1st Team, 2nd Team and 3rd Team list on our website for both North and South Louisiana along with our new podcast, which is called “The Sports Scouting Report Podcast With Lee Brecheen” that breaks down the players selected on the three teams. However, those lists are based just not on talent, but effort as well.

When it comes to talent, these are the best 25 players with five players being tied for number 25 in the deep, talented football state of Louisiana so this list is conducted of 30 total prep players. Also, below is the Honorable Mention list of the players that just came up short in making the final top 25. With that, here is our final 2020-2021 season’s Top 25 for the Class of 2021! We hope you enjoy!

Also, make sure to check out our website periodically next week as Lee will go more in depth with the reasoning behind picking this list on our podcast “The Sports Scouting Report Podcast With Lee Brecheen”.

The Bayou 25 (Ranked in order):

1. DE Saivion Jones

6-5, 245

St. James High School

Saivion-Jones-St.-James-8-300x200.jpeg

St. James High School senior defensive end and LSU commit Saivion Jones (Photo provided by Saivion Jones)

2. P Peyton Todd

6-5, 222

West Monroe High School

Peyton-Todd-West-Monroe-2-225x300.jpg

West Monroe High School senior punter and LSU signee Peyton Todd (Photo provided by Peyton Todd)

3. WR Jack Bech

6-2, 215

St. Thomas More High School

Jack-Bech-St.-Thomas-More-18-200x300.jpg

St. Thomas More High School senior wide receiver and LSU signee Jack Bech (Photo provided by Jack Bech)

4. WR Brian Thomas Jr.

6-4, 195

Walker High School

Brian-Thomas-Walker-3-225x300.jpg

Walker High School senior wide receiver Brian Thomas Jr. (Photo provided by Brian Thomas Jr.)

5. SS Sage Ryan

5-10, 202

Lafayette Christian Academy

Sage-Ryan-Lafayette-Christian-Academy-4-

Lafayette Christian Academy senior strong safety and LSU signee Sage Ryan (Photo provided by Sage Ryan)

6. WR Chris Hilton

6-0, 175

Zachary High School

Chris-Hilton-Zachary-20-225x300.jpg

Zachary High School senior wide receiver and LSU signee Chris Hilton (Photo provided by Chris Hilton)

7. DE Byron Turner

6-3, 245

St. Augustine High School

Byron-Turner-St.-Augustine-169x300.png

St. Augustine High School senior defensive end and Florida State commit Byron Turner (Photo provided by Byron Turner)

8. MLB Jackie Marshall

6-2, 240

East St. John High School

Jackie-Marshall-East-St.-John-225x300.jp

East St. John High School senior middle linebacker and Baylor signee Jackie Marshall (Photo provided by Jackie Marshall)

9. DT Maason Smith

6-4, 305

Terrebonne High School

Maason-Smith-Terrebonne-200x300.jpeg

Terrebonne High School senior defensive tackle and LSU signee Maason Smith (Photo provided by Maason Smith)

10. ATH Key’Savalyn Barnes

6-0, 195

Logansport High School

KeySavalyn-Barnes-Logansport-169x300.png

Logansport High School senior ATH and UL signee Key’Savalyn Barnes (Photo provided by Key’Savalyn Barnes)

11. TE Shield Taylor

6-5, 235

Alexandria High School

Shield-Taylor-Alexandria-3-200x300.jpg

Alexandria High School senior tight end and Stanford signee Shield Taylor (Photo provided by Shield Taylor)

12. WR/DB Malik Nabers

6-1, 190

Southside High School

Malik-Nabers-Comeaux-240x300.jpg

Former Comeaux High School, current Southside ATH, and LSU signee Malik Nabers (Photo provided by Malik Nabers)

13. OG/DT Cameron Foster

6-3, 310

Northwood (Shreveport) High School

Cameron-Foster-Northwood-6-169x300.png

Northwood (Shreveport) High School senior offensive guard/defensive tackle and McNeese State signee Cameron Foster (Photo provided by Cameron Foster)

14. OLB Kaine Williams

6-2, 220

John Ehret High School

Kaine-Williams-John-Ehret-15-200x300.jpg

John Ehret High School senior outside linebacker and Alabama signee Kaine Williams (Photo provided by Kaine Williams)

15. WR/CB Keon Coleman

6-3, 200

Opelousas Catholic High School

Keon-Coleman-Opelousas-Catholic-225x300.

Opelousas Catholic High School senior wide receiver/cornerback Keon Coleman (Photo provided by Keon Coleman)

16. CB Tyrell Raby

6-1, 175

Madison Prep Academy

EqrlSG6XMAA9j4R-200x300.jpeg

Madison Prep Academy senior cornerback and Memphis signee Tyrell Raby (Photo provided by Tyrell Raby)

17. OT Devon Manuel

6-7, 330

Beau Chene High School

Devon-Manuel-Beau-Chene-300x300.jpg

Beau Chene High School senior offensive tackle and Arkansas signee Devon Manuel (Photo provided by Devon Manuel)

18. WR/CB Destyn Hill

6-0, 190

Edna Karr High School

WR-Destyn-Pazon-Edna-Karr-300x300.jpg

Edna Karr High School senior wide receiver/cornerback Destyn Hill (Photo provided by Destyn Hill)

19. WR Raheem Roberts

6-3, 190

Bogalusa High School

Raheem-Roberts-Bogalusa-e1598372271570-3

Bogalusa High School wide receiver Raheem Roberts (Photo provided by Raheem Roberts)

20. RB Ke’Travion Hargrove

6-0, 200

Ruston High School

KeTravion-Hargrove-Ruston-1-223x300.jpg

Ruston High School senior running back Ke’Travion Hargrove (Photo provided by Ke’Travion Hargrove)

21. ATH Hunter Herring

6-4, 220

Ouachita Christian High School

Hunter-Herring-Ouachita-Christian-225x30

Ouachita Christian High School senior ATH and UL signee Hunter Herring (Photo provided by Hunter Herring)

22. ATH Tyrese Johnson

6-2, 195

KIPP Booker T. Washington High School

ATH-Tyrese-Johnson-KIPP-Booker-T.-Washin

KIPP Booker T. Washington High School senior ATH and Memphis commit Tyrese Johnson (Photo provided by Tyrese Johnson)

23. K Caden Costa

6-1, 200

Mandeville High School

Caden-Costa-Mandeville-9-189x300.png

Mandeville High School senior kicker and Ole Piss signee Caden Costa (Photo provided by Caden Costa)

24. FS/SS Da’Veawn Armstead

6-1, 180

Central (B.R.) High School

IMG_4625.JPG-300x200.jpeg

Central (B.R.) High School senior free/strong safety and TCU signee Da’Veawn Armstead (Photo provided by Da’Veawn Armstead)

T-25. WR Luke Besh

6-0, 185

Jesuit High School

WR-Luke-Besh-Jesuit-e1608265265507-300x1

Jesuit High School senior wide receiver Luke Besh (Photo provided by Luke Besh)

T-25. ATH Matthew Langlois

5-11, 185

Catholic High School (Pointe Coupee)

Matthew-Langlois-Catholic-Pointe-Coupee-

Catholic High School (Pointe Coupee) senior ATH and LSU signee Matthew Langlois (Photo provided by Matthew Langlois)

T-25. ATH Gage Larvadain

5-9, 170

Riverside Academy

Screen-Shot-2020-11-04-at-8.35.36-PM-e16

Riverside Academy senior ATH Gage Larvadain (Photo provided by Gage Larvadain)

T-25. RB Kendrell Williams

5-11, 200

Carencro High School

RB-Kendrell-Williams-Carencro-300x200.pn

Carencro High School senior running back and UL commit Kendrell Williams (Photo provided by Kendrell Williams)

T-25. DE Derron Griffin

6-3, 215

DeRidder High School

(No Picture Received)

T-25. CB/FS Cejae Ceasar

6-3, 205

Iowa High School

Cejae-Ceasar-Iowa-169x300.png

Iowa High School senior cornerback/free safety and UL signee Cejae Ceasar (Photo provided by Cejae Ceasar)

Honorable Mentions:

OLB Mandel Eugene (6-1, 210) St. Charles Catholic High School/Tulane signee

DE Cameron George (6-2, 250) Acadiana High School/UL commit

MLB Thaos Figaro (6-1, 230) Lafayette High School

WR/CB Jacobi Bellazar (6-1, 185) Capitol High School

DE Bryce Cage (6-4, 250) Scotlandville High School/Southeastern signee

DE Braelon Hobson (6-3, 240) Scotlandville High School

RB Markel Linzer (6-0, 205) New Iberia High School

RB/LB Terrence Williams (6-0, 225) Many High School/UL commit

TE Dalton Allen (6-3, 240) Oak Grove High School

FS Bailey Despanie (6-1, 180) Carencro High School/Tulane signee

WR Glynn Johnson (5-11, 165) Lake Charles College Prep/New Mexico State Signee

MLB Damien Beard (6-0, 230) Helen Cox High School

RB Jaylon Spears (5-9, 205) Brother Martin High School

OLB Kylyn Lewis (6-1, 220) Ferriday High School

TE/DE Sam Andrews (6-2, 275) Ruston High School

CB Eric Randall III (6-2, 190) Woodlawn (B.R.) High School/Memphis commit

DE Carl Nixon Jr. (6-2, 240) L.W. Higgins High School/Louisiana College commit

DE Tariq Jones (6-2, 230) McDonogh 35 High School/Hawaii signee

CB Lucius Tillery (6-0, 180) St. Augustine High School

DE Karl Odrick (6-4, 230) Edna Karr High School/Ball State commit

TE Jency Riley (6-5, 225) St. Helena College and Career Academy

RB/LB Logan Diggs (6-0, 190) Archbishop Rummel High School/Notre Dame commit

DE Jaylen Green (6-3, 280) Minden High School

RB Montrell Johnson (6-0, 205) De La Salle High School

***Also, make sure to check out our website periodically next week as Lee will go more in depth with the reasoning behind picking this Bayou 25 list on our podcast “The Sports Scouting Report Podcast With Lee Brecheen”.

Hey football fans. Like our recruiting interviews, stories, and other content on our website? Click on our website daily to view articles on recruits, coaches, and so much more at our website: https://www.lafootballmagazine.com/.

Also, we have exciting news that for the fourth straight year, we will have our North and South LA issues and both are now out! Both issues will continue to cover all the Louisiana colleges as well as all the high schools in state, but there will be 16 pages that will focus on North Louisiana as well as South Louisiana. Along with our print editions of both magazine issues, our digital magazine editions will also be available to pre-order. Just like with our print versions, our digital editions will be available to you when both magazines are available.

For more information, please check the following link to where you can either order our print or digital version of the magazine of your choice. Also, below are the two covers as well as where you can order both magazines on our website.

Buy Print/Digital Magazine Here: https://www.lafootballmagazine.com/magazine/

North Cover                                                                   South Cover

Screen-Shot-2020-06-24-at-7.03.00-PM-225                    Screen-Shot-2020-06-24-at-7.04.54-PM-228

42423061_2220113734900582_24399020295821

Jace is from Addis, LA but resides in Port Allen, LA. Jace attends Southeastern Louisiana University and is majoring in Communications. This is Jace’s fourth year as Associate Editor at Louisiana Football Magazine. He is also a graduate from Catholic High School in Baton Rouge where he was the editor of the school newspaper the “Bearly Published.” While at CHS, Jace also announced their football, basketball, and baseball games for the Bruin Broadcast Network which is the Catholic High’s streaming website for their events. On weekends, Jace is the PA announcer for his middle school football games. At home, Jace enjoys time with his family and friends. Besides being a huge football fan, Jace is also an avid NHRA drag racing fan.

AUTHOR: STAFF

Jace is from Addis, LA but resides in Port Allen, LA. Jace attends Southeastern Louisiana University and is majoring in Communications. This is Jace's fourth year as Associate Editor at Louisiana Football Magazine. He is also a graduate from Catholic High School in Baton Rouge where he was the editor of the school newspaper the “Bearly Published.” While at CHS, Jace also announced their football, basketball, and baseball games for the Bruin Broadcast Network which is the Catholic High’s streaming website for their events. On weekends, Jace is the PA announcer for his middle school football games. At home, Jace enjoys time with his family and friends. Besides being a huge football fan, Jace is also an avid NHRA drag racing fan.

Matthew Langlois now a four-star on 247Sports

ByBILLY EMBODY 12 hours ago 

2021 New Roads (La.) Catholic of Pointe Coupee safety Matthew Langlois is a new four-star on 247Sports. On Wednesday, 247Sports released the final rankings for the class ahead of next Wednesday's National Signing Day, and the LSU signee moved up in the rankings.

On 247Sports, Langlois ranks as the No. 30 overall safety in the country and No. 11 overall prospect in Louisiana, moving up in the state from the 15th best prospect. LSU offered this fall and flipped the 6-0, 192-pound defensive back away from Kansas State. He's set to enroll at LSU this summer with a talented group of safeties in the 2021 class.

Recruited by former safeties coach Bill Busch, Langlois will now play under defensive coordinator Daronte Jones as his position coach. He's bonded more with some of the retained staff and his fellow 2021 recruiting class members.

"Our relationship has grown pretty well and I got to know a bunch of commits," Langlois told 247Sports last month. "I went to the Alabama game with a few commits. Sage, Jack, Saivion and Landon Jackson. It's been nothing but great to me and I can't for the future.

"I think we're feeling pretty good on some of them. Maason Smith was there too and we got to talk to him. He didn't say too much, but it'd be great if we can land him. Obviously, he's a great recruit and LSU is big on him."

Langlois is a part of a strong group of safeties inked by the Tigers in five-star defensive back Sage Ryan and four-star defensive back Derrick Davis Jr., who enrolled in Baton Rouge in January to begin preparations for the 2021 season.

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron and his staff have the Tigers sitting at No. 4 nationally in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting rankings. The group of 22 commits and signees as it stands have a chance to play early and often as LSU retools after its National Championship season in 2019.

"Obviously we've built relationships," Orgeron told reporters in December. "Again, these guys saw last year one of the best teams to ever play in college football history, and they remember that. And they see all those guys going into the NFL and having a lot of success, and they see us having a young team. Obviously we've struggled in some areas that we gotta get fixed. But they know that.

"It gives them an opportunity to come in and play early, see true freshmen playing, two freshmen quarterbacks playing and having success. And especially skilled positions on offense, they know we have great quarterbacks coming. We're fixing to sign another great quarterback on Wednesday. So they see the future looks bright."

• Like 2

This is one of three preferred Walk-ons. 

Destrehan linebacker receives offer from LSU

Dylan-Gibbs-678x381.jpg Dylan Gibbs of Destrehan chases down a ballcarrier.

LSU has found success mining talent from Destrehan High School. It has an eye on continuing that pipeline with its latest overture to a Wildcats star.

Linebacker Dylan Gibbs  recently revealed via Twitter that he’s received an preferred walk-on offer from LSU, following a senior season that saw him lead one of the state’s elite defensive teams in tackles.

A preferred walk-on offer comes in a case where a school would like to add a player to its roster, but will not offer any financial assistance for at least the first year. Athletes can, however, earn a scholarship going into their second season with the school.

The Wildcats established themselves as one of Class 5A’s most intimidating defensive units, leading the charge for the program as it marched to the 5A final and 5A semifinal in each of the past two seasons. Gibbs was the captain of a very talented unit, and his numbers ranked alongside the state’s best linebackers. He posted 139 total tackles, 92 of those solo, 11 tackles for loss, five sacks, three forced fumbles, one interception, five quarterback hurries and two pass break-ups.

The 6’0, 220 pound Gibbs was named the Defensive MVP in District 7-5A.

“He’s the heart and soul,” said Destrehan head coach Marcus Scott. “He understands schematics, makes sure we’re lined up properly … all he does is make plays for us. He’s mentally tough, a strong kid and brings that big game experience.”

• Like 1