Gameday Tigers

First Scrimmage

LSUDad

No Joe, no go for offense as defense dominates first preseason scrimmage

C7mxqxhlih8nfycssp6f

Ja'Marr Chase had a 56-yard RD catch in LSU's first preseason scrimmage on Saturday
p2wggcj9eoeatm3bdkzqRon Higgins • TigerDetails

LSU’s football offense went back in time to the spring of 2018 in its first preseason scrimmage Saturday in Tiger Stadium.

That is, it didn’t have Joe Burrow as the starting quarterback since he sat out with what Tigers' coach Ed Orgeron termed “a minor injury.”

Without Burrow and with backup Myles Brennan taking the first team snaps, the defense was the clear winner.

“We’re not the same team without Joe in there,” Orgeron said. “We’re not there yet. The offense had been having a tremendous week with Joe in there, without Joe they aren’t the same.

“I’m glad the defense came along today, because all week the offense had been moving the ball on them. There were some concerns there. The defense started off with the upper hand. The offense came along, made some big plays. It was a see-saw battle.

“Again, we didn’t have Joe in there. But we balanced up the camp and we like a balanced football team.”

The scrimmage was closed to the media.

Brennan completed 8-of-13 passes for 158 yards and a touchdown. Running backs Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Chris Curry gained 47 and 12 yards respectively.

Wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase had three receptions for 101 yards, including a 56-yard TD from Brennan. Tight end Stephen Sullivan added two receptions for 48 yards, while running backs Tyrion Davis-Price and Lanard Fournette, and wide receiver Derrick Dillon each caught two passes. 

The defense recorded five sacks. Linebacker Damone Clark had a team-high five tackles. Defensive lineman Breiden Fehoko scooped a fumble and returned it 40 yards. Orgeron said freshman cornerback Derek Stingley Jr. had two interceptions. 

Also, placekicker Cade York hit 8-of-10 field goals, including a 51-yarder.

An undisclosed number of injured players didn’t participate in the scrimmage, which seemed to affect the offense more than the defense.

“There were a lot of guys out on the offensive line of scrimmage,” Orgeron said. “Normally some guys who don’t play on the second team played.”

Orgeron had both offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and Joe Brady in the press box coaching booth matching wits with defensive coordinator Dave Aranda.

“It was on today, there were some games faces going (between the coordinators),” Orgeron said. “We were a little rusty (getting plays and formations relayed from the press box to the huddle). There were a couple of times we went past the 25-second clock.

“We had a lot of mistakes by young guys (on substitutions). We had 12 men on the field a couple of times, 10 men on the field a couple of times. It’s a learning process. Next week, we should eliminate these mistakes.”

Here’s Orgeron on various subjects:

On starting QB Joe Burrow sitting out with an injury: “He has a minor camp injury, held out for precaution. Should be back with us sometime next week. You never want your starting quarterback to get hurt. I thought it was a perfect scenario if it was going to happen this week. Give him time to get better and come back next week.”

On QB Myles Brennan: “He walked up there with some confidence. Starting off he was under a lot of duress, but he came back with two tremendous drives and made some great throws. Still has a way to go, but he’s much improved over last year. There were a couple of times he was indecisive under pressure, that is to be expected, until he gets some game time reps.”

On the receiving corps: “The connection with Joe is a lot better, because they always throw the football with him. The week they had was phenomenal. Screens, big plays. It takes a little while for them to get continuity with Myles. They aren’t there yet.”

On the inside linebacker battle: “Jacob Phillips and Patrick Queen are playing excellent and so is (sophomore) Damone Clark. Dave (Aranda) likes him (Clark) a lot. Patrick and Jacob are even, Damone Clark is pushing. He may be the starter, he may not. We’ll see."

On Damone Clark: “He’s really an elite athlete. He’s 6-3, 238, can run. He’s always first in sprints, in the weight room he lifts everything you put in front of him. He’s a smart kid with great character. He just had to learn to diagnose and be in the right gap at the right time and he’s doing it now. He’s a tall guy who has to bend, but he can tackle in space.”

On inside linebacker Michael Divinity:“We don’t have a Devin White yet, but I think Michael Divinity today stepped up as a leader. He made a lot of big plays. I think he’s going to have an excellent year.”

On freshman placekicker Cade York:“Obviously, he’s taller (than graduated placekicker Cole Tracy) and he has bigger range. He kicked a 59-yarder in the all-star game, he kicked a 51-yarder today, had some length to it.

“I think he has a stronger leg (than Tracy). Cole had that magic about him. I think Cade will, too. Cade is a more polished kicker at a younger age than Cole was, but he obviously has to prove it in front of a crowd.”

Ed Orgeron, "We just had a great scrimmage"

By TigerBait Staff
August 10, 2019
Tweet

BATON ROUGE – LSU made big plays on both sides of the ball on Saturday as the Tigers held their first preseason game of training camp here Saturday in Tiger Stadium.

Saturday’s scrimmage – which focused on situations, including redzone, third-down and first-down - capped the first full week of camp for the Fighting Tigers. LSU also spent time working on different areas of special teams, which included punting and field goals.

“We had a great scrimmage,” LSU coach Ed Orgeron said. “Our players and coaches did a great job with preparation. There was a lot of energy on the field.

“There was a lot of work put in to the preparation, the game planning, and the substitutions. We had a lot of special teams work. We had an outstanding week of practice and I thought our guys finished on a great note.”

Sophomore quarterback Myles Brennan, who played in place of Joe Burrow with the 1s, completed 8-of-13 passes for 158 yards and a touchdown. Junior running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire led the Tigers in rushing with 47 yards on 13 carries, while redshirt freshman Chris Curry added 12 yards on the ground.

Orgeron said Burrow was held out of Saturday’s scrimmage as a precaution and is expected to return to practice next week.

Oregon said Brennan played with confidence on Saturday and showed improvement over last year.

“He walked up there with some confidence. He started off under a lot of pressure, but he came back with two tremendous drives and made some great throws. He still has a ways to go, but I think he is much improved over last year.”

Ja’Marr Chase led all receiver with three receptions for 101 yards, including a 56-yard TD from Brennan. Stephen Sullivan added a pair of receptions for 48 yards, while Tyrion Davis-Price, Lanard Fournette and Derrick Dillon each caught two passes.

Defensively, linebacker Damone Clark paced the Fighting Tigers with five tackles, including a sack. In all, the Tiger defense recorded five sacks. Defensive lineman Breiden Fehoko scooped up a fumble and returned it 40 yards for another defensive highlight.

Orgeron said he was pleased with the overall performance of the defensive line, including the play of Fehoko and Tyler Shelvin.

“I thought the defensive line did very well today.” Oregon said. “There were a lot of guys out on the offensive line that were not playing, especially on the second team. There were some guys that don’t normally play on the second team. I thought the defensive line had a dominant day - Breiden Fehoko, Tyler Shelvin. I thought Ray Thornton had a great day. We had five sacks on the defensive line. Overall I thought the defensive line played very well.”

On special teams, true freshman kicker Cade York connected on 8-of-10 field goals, including a 51-yarder in what was his first scrimmage in Tiger Stadium.

“The defense started off with the upper hand,” Orgeron said. “The offense came on and made some big plays. It was a seesaw battle.

“Overall I thought it was a good day on both sides of the football and on special teams. We still have a lot of work to do.”

Saturday’s workout was the first of three preseason games for the Fighting Tigers as LSU is scheduled for scrimmages in Tiger Stadium on August 17 and 24. LSU will take tomorrow off from football-related activities and then return to practice on Monday.

LSU opens its third full season under Orgeron on Saturday, August 31, hosting Georgia Southern in Tiger Stadium.

So Preseason Game #1...I kinda like that sound better.  O was asked in the post game presser if there was anything that differentiates between a scrimmage and a "pre-season game", and he said yes.  He said Steve (and Joe) were calling plays against Dave.  He mentioned it like there was some real gamesmanship between the OC(s) and the DC.  He said they used a play clock like a game and there were issues with that a couple times, 12 men on the field, 10 men on the field, etc...
Said he got that from Pete Carroll. 

The defense seemed to definitely get the better of the offense today.  IDK what to think about that with Chaisson, Delpit, and Fulton out. But O said there was some OL out as well and it seems that's where the difference was.  Ika/Shelvin, Rashard, Fehoko, Queen, Phillips, Thornton, Moore, and Damone Clark are no scrubs.  

The encouraging thing is, with half the secondary out, the QB didn't have time to throw.  5 sacks.  

That said, Jamar Chase is an animal.  He and Sting have been going at it all through camp, and iron sharpens iron.  Chase with a big TD on a play where Sting lost traction, and another big gain on Sting when Chase just out physical-ed him.  Perfect throws both times by Brennan, away from the DB. 

With that said, Sting picks two balls off (unsure who was throwing them) and also took a PR to the house.  

Having those guys for the spring (Ika and Sting) was HUGE!  Everyone considers PP7 the standard, but here's something to consider.  PP7 barely made it in time to play his freshman year because of a potential qualifying issue...a score was flagged (by Urban Meyer, if I recall).  Stingley has been here practically a friggin year. It makes perfect sense that he's ahead of where PP7 was as a frosh.  And PP7 was a helluva frosh.  I expect no less from Sting.  He was literally the highest rated CB ever rated.  EVER.  I know it's hard to believe someone being better than a fan favorite great All American player, but nothing he does this year will surprise me, unless he somehow DOESN'T play extremely well. 

My two under the radar favorites last year were Divinity and J'Marr Chase.  Justin Jefferson had the most catches, but Chase was the most physical.  What I liked about Chase is when the ball is in the air and J'Marr and a DB went up for it, J'Marr always came down with the ball.  He must have really strong hands, and he's competitive about it, like "that ball is MINE, and you will not have it".  I liked him as a true frosh, and he can only get better.  He's got an attitude.

53 minutes ago, dachsie said:

Do we need to be worried if Burrow gets injured tho?  I hope Brennan is up to the task

Yes, we would worry.  Nobody stepping into the role of starter for the first time is going to be at his best.  It takes experience.  Burrow was rusty early last year because he had not taken a snap as the starter in 3 years.  But he got better by the end of the season.  Brennan has a very good arm, some say the best in camp, but he would make some mental mistakes for a while, then he would get better.  I hope we get Myles significant playing time in the tuneup games so he is better prepared for next year, or if he has to take over this year.

If I hadn't started pimping #BurrowforHeisman, I'd like to see Brennan play the entire game against GA Southern.  Having said that, nothing knocks the rust off like an actual game and as we have seen before (Troy) no opponent should be taken for granted.

I do hope Brennan gets to play most of the 2nd half.

14 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Impossible.  QB's are not capable of targeting! :classic_cool:

Have you met Joe Burrow?? 

That was kind of a reference to the first podcast on the offense.  I predicted Burrow and Avery Adkins will both get called for targeting at some point this season. 

I mean, Brad Wing was the first player called for taunting, if you recall...

Rabalais: Joe Burrow's absence says a lot about the promise and fragility of this LSU team

BR.lsupractice.080819 HS 412.JPG

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow (9) flips the ball away at fall practice, Wednesday, August 7, 2019, at LSU's practice facility in Baton Rouge, La.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

Absence after absence by LSU players from the first few days of the Tigers’ football practices was like a yellow alert. Alarming, yes, but they haven’t started taking roll yet for real with the regular season still a little less than three weeks away.

But when quarterback Joe Burrow missed the Tigers’ last pre-scrimmage practice last week and then Saturday’s closed scrimmage in Tiger Stadium (coach Ed Orgeron calls them “practice games”), well, that pulled the pins on the Bonnet Carre Spillway of worries about this rapidly approaching LSU season.

It is a season filled with promise and great expectations coming off last year’s 10-3 record and No. 6 final ranking after the Tigers’ Fiesta Bowl finishing win over UCF. A win that typified how much Burrow has come to mean to this LSU team. How much his play and toughness permeates it.

Orgeron tried to put the best face on Burrow’s absence, as he is wont to do on most topics. He pointed out that Burrow being sidelined allowed more work for designated backup quarterback Myles Brennan as well as incoming freshman Peter Parrish.

“You never want your starting quarterback to get hurt,” Coach O said. “I thought it was a perfect scenario if it was going to happen this week, give him time to get better and come back next week to see the guys step up. Myles had to step up. Pete had to step up.”

But Orgeron, to his credit, was candid as well in terms of what Burrow means to this LSU team.

“We’re not the same team without Joe in there,” he admitted. “We haven’t got there yet. The offense has been having a tremendous week with Joe in there. Without Joe, we’re not the same.”

No one who knows was saying exactly what Burrow’s injury is, other than it wasn’t that serious and he was expected to return to practice sometime next week. It is worth noting that Burrow was seen Jan. 20 at the NFC Championship Game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome with his left (non-throwing) shoulder in a sling. It is at least possible this absence is related to that, but it is mere speculation.

Other LSU players who had offseason surgery, like Rashard Lawrence and Chasen Hines, have been given time off as they eased back into playing form during preseason camp. That could be the case with Burrow, though Orgeron did characterize Burrow’s ailment as “a minor camp injury.”

“He should be back sometime next week,” Coach O said Saturday.

If that is the case, there shouldn’t be too much to worry about from LSU’s perspective. But even assuming Burrow “returns to health” to borrow a Les Miles-like phrase, even his short-term absence speaks to the fragility of the Tigers’ high-flying aspirations in 2019.

LSU is like an antique vase on display in a museum. The Tigers are quite beautiful to behold with all their skill talent and depth and experience.

But it all could break with one wrong tap of the hammer. Or maybe if someone breathes on it too hard.

Can the Tigers make a go of it long-term with Brennan running the offense? Clearly LSU wants him to play a meaningful role this season, not just in mop-up duty here and there. He is being groomed to be the starter for 2020 after Burrow has exhausted his eligibility.

But Brennan is not the best solution for this season. It’s Burrow’s team, and he is the best fit for this new run-pass option spread attack that LSU coaches have promised will be the scheme for this season.

Is there reason to worry that LSU’s offensive chemistry will suffer with Burrow away? Perhaps, but LSU’s players have been doing plenty of work together all summer long, work that has carried into the first few days of camp.

“They're not there yet, but we have a great group of receivers,” Coach O said. “We have a great plan for those guys.”

And, once again, to perhaps make himself feel better as well, Orgeron added, “I think Joe's going to be back soon."

Still, you don’t want this to go on too long. And despite all the assurances, the anxiety will ramp up each day until Burrow does return.

It’s not a one-man team by any means. But Burrow by far makes the Tigers the best version of themselves.

Archived