Gameday Tigers

AP 2019 Preseason Poll, Top 10 Football

LSUDad

LSU debuts in AP Preseason Poll in Top 10

ByBILLY EMBODY 21 minutes ago 

After finishing No. 6 in the final AP Poll of the 2018 season, the LSU Tigers are back in the Top 10 of the 2019 AP Preseason Poll. Head coach Ed Orgeron's team landed in the same spot as the No. 6 team in the country, it was announced on Monday. For the complete AP Poll, click here.

In Week 2, LSU could be headed for a Top 10 matchup in Austin with Texas, who debuted at No. 10 in the poll. Other SEC teams in the Top 25 were Alabama at No. 2, Georgia at No. 3, Florida at No. 8, Texas A&M at No. 12 and Auburn at No. 16. Mississippi State is also receiving votes.

Last season, the Tigers started with a blowout win over Miami, knocked off a Top 5 Georgia team in Tiger Stadium and capped its 2018 season with a Fiesta Bowl win over previously undefeated UCF. While the team lost at Florida, vs. Alabama and at Texas A&M in a seven-overtime thriller, Orgeron is confident his team can take the next step.

"First of all, last year I felt we had a good season. We were two players away from being 12-1," Orgeron said at SEC Media Days in July. "We've got to expound on that this year. We cannot make the mistakes we made against Florida. We had opportunities to win the game at Texas A&M. Those are the two things we need to look at. Now, we had some big wins. Auburn was a big win. Miami was a big win. Georgia was a big win. Those were big wins. We did not play well against Alabama. 

"Now we have to go on the road and play them again. We have a tough schedule this year, but we have a good football team. We should be able to answer the bell."

Quarterback Joe Burrow returns for his senior season along with four of the five starters on the offensive line and the team's leading receiver while adding passing game coordinator Joe Brady to the fold to help bring the offense to life. Clyde Edwards-Helaire takes over at running back along with plenty of depth while Ja'Marr ChaseTerrace Marshalland Stephen Sullivan expect to play big roles in the passing game as well.

Defensively, the team loses Butkus Award winner Devin White and Thorpe Award finalist Greedy Williams, but returns unanimous All-American Grant Delpit and projected first round draft pick Kristian Fulton at cornerback. The team returns other veterans like defensive linemen Breiden FehokoRashard Lawrence and Glen Logan, linebackers Michael DivinityJacob PhillipsPatrick Queen and others, along with safeties Todd Harris and Jacoby StevensThe Tigers also get former five-star prospect and outside linebacker K'Lavon Chaissonback in the mix after he tore his ACL to start the season in the win over Miami.

2 hours ago, COTiger said:

I'm really concerned about our OL.  Both the starters and the reserves.  I'm really worried about our ability to open holes for the running backs and to give Burrow time to throw to our excellent receiving group.

Fair concern. Here's my take. 

If... IF they can escape injuries unlike last year, I see this. 

LT-S Charles who was hurt last season but played well his frosh year. In much better conditioning, I think he's good

LG- Chasen Hines needs to get back from his offseason surgery and take this spot. If he can we'll be fine

C-Cush No problem

RG- Damien Lewis No problem

RT- Deculus Gotta see improvement

The fact we're not running slow developing play action crap will help. 

Hopefully Ingram can join the team at some point midway through the season. That would be huge. 

23 minutes ago, dachsie said:

How much depth do we have on OLine?  If one of these goes down will we?

We have the numbers.  The question for me is do we have the talent for someone to step in for an injured player and the O line not miss a beat.  I haven't seen any scrimmages and can only go by what I read.  The O line seems to be the #1 concern for the media for what that's worth.

1 hour ago, dachsie said:

How much depth do we have on OLine?  If one of these goes down will we?

Like CO said, we have more depth with regards to actual numbers than last year.  But it's untested.  

The tackle position is the most interesting.  Starting Charles on the left and Deculus on the right, you expect Badora Traore to be next in line.  Instead, they're mentioning him and Anthony Bradford as potentially playing guard.  I still maintain they're the backup tackles with Bradford still needing to shed some weight.  Hopefully, neither are needed at tackle though.  

Guard is deep with numbers.  And in fact, deep enough with numbers with games under their belt.  Problem is, IMO, you need Chasen Hines to take that left guard spot and Damien Lewis to take the RG position.  They're the best options, but both have been missing time, particularly Hines.  Good news is, he was back at practice yesterday.  While Lewis missed practice (hopefully just a rest day). 

IMO Deculus would be a great guard, and Bradford is more suited for tackle.  But he's not ready, so we wait.....

When I saw Cush in the 2018 Spring Game, first thoughts, they better get someone to move into that position. He went light years ahead from Spring to the Miami game.

I went with a few coaches to observe Deculus the Spring before his Sr year in high school. He was matched up with the big TE, Wright that went to ND. Deculus needed to drop the baby fat, which has been done, work on his technique, from what I understand, is going well. They like these two at OT’s. Magee having been cross trained  from OG and OT. He’s been here long enough to be a guy to contribute. 

The rest of the backups, they like what they are getting out of them, tons of talent, need a little in game action. They all have the size and speed. Working on weight, strength, hand placement, footwork and technique. 

As for Recruiting of OL in the 2020 class, they still have a few in the board. 

Archived