Gameday Tigers

[Mancrush] #81 Thaddeus Moss

Eq4bits

Talking LSU TE’s over the years. Mitch Andrews, Malcom Scott, Dick Dickerson, Dave LaFlure and Brian Kinchen all come to mind, off the top of my head. Andrews I seem to remember him with the Falcons, Big Dave, with the Cowboys. Kinchen made the rounds, only to retire, get a call from the Pats, then win a Super Bowl. Moss has taken a giant step in the new offense. No mention in being a top TE in the SEC or the Nation, but now teams and scouts are starting to take notice. His blocking, route running and pass catching abilities are standing out. A major plus. 

• Like 4

Record-setter Thaddeus Moss 'makes everything mesh' for LSU after years of waiting

1 of 2
BR.lsuarkansasmain.112419 HS 1840.JPG

LSU tight end Thaddeus Moss (81) carries the ball in the first half between the Tigers and the Razorbacks, Saturday, November 23, 2019 at LSU's Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

• STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

BR.lsuarkansasmain.112419 HS 1844.JPG

Arkansas defensive back Joe Foucha (7) closes in on LSU tight end Thaddeus Moss (81) on the stop in the first half between the Tigers and the Razorbacks, Saturday, November 23, 2019 at LSU's Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

• STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

Thaddeus Moss came here looking for a chance. He thought his talent had deteriorated during his freshman season at NC State, so he transferred from the program and began searching for a place that felt comfortable.

Moss visited LSU, the first school he called, for the Tigers’ spring game in 2017. He arrived on a Friday. He understood LSU’s history of producing NFL players, and one day that weekend, he drove around campus with coach Ed Orgeron.

They discussed Moss’ future, the weight of his name and the plans Orgeron had for LSU. The coach admitted mistakes he made in his youth, and Moss believed Orgeron cared about his players. Moss received a scholarship offer on Sunday, two days after he arrived. He committed the same day.

Two years later, after multiple surgeries and months of waiting, on Saturday night against Arkansas, Moss broke the single-season LSU record for receptions by a tight end.

With the position no longer used as an extra offensive tackle, Moss has flourished inside LSU’s new system. He has chipped defensive ends and blocked, but he has also given quarterback Joe Burrow a reliable target in the passing game.

Moss recorded four receptions during the 56-20 win inside Tiger Stadium, which sealed LSU’s first trip to the Southeastern Conference Championship since 2011. The Razorbacks double-teamed wide receivers Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson in the first half, so the Tigers leaned on running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Moss, who finished with a career-high 68 yards.

“He's like that magic piece,” Edwards-Helaire said. “He makes everything mesh.”

Moss approached this season as an opportunity. He had missed two seasons after he transferred to LSU, one because of NCAA transfer rules and another because of injuries.

As he ran a route during the first week of June 2018, Moss felt a pop. He had fractured the fifth metatarsal in his left foot, a bone that gives a foot its arch. He underwent two surgeries, and even now, the plate in his foot nags him whenever he runs on artificial turf.

Earlier this year, Moss worked out on campus during spring break. He trained with his father, NFL Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss. He became the leader of LSU’s tight end room.

When preseason practice arrived, Moss visualized the season opener, his first game in nearly three years. He buzzed when he thought about playing again.

Moss gradually became an integral part of LSU’s offense. He caught his first career touchdown against Utah State, then he grabbed seven passes against Auburn. Every week, Moss has talked with Edwards-Helaire about sealing run blocks.

“And also, man,” Edwards-Helaire said, “the guy can catch.”

When LSU needed an offensive spark against Arkansas, leading 7-6 in the second quarter after two scoreless possessions, it turned to Moss. He caught a 20-yard pass on the first play. He hauled in a 30-yard reception three plays later, pulling LSU into the red zone. The Tigers soon scored as their offense came back to life.

Moss’ second catch on the drive gave him the school record for receptions in a season by a tight end. He passed Mitch Andrews and Malcolm Scott, who had each caught 34 passes over three decades ago.

Moss finished the game with 36 receptions this season for 423 yards. The LSU single-season record for yards receiving by a tight end is 439, set by David Lafleur in 1996.

His production increasing as the season nears its end, Moss likely will break that record next weekend against Texas A&M. He has caught at least four passes in each of his past four games, and Orgeron said his production has helped LSU recruit tight ends.

The vision Orgeron shared with Moss during that ride two years ago has come to fruition. The redshirt junior has made himself an essential part of LSU’s offense, a player whom defenses cannot ignore. Orgeron called him one of the most improved players in the program.

“Look at what he's done,” Orgeron said. “I think he has a bright future.”

Last week, after Moss dragged his toes inbounds for a highlight catch against Alabama, he said he had not reached his peak. He had made catches like that before. For Moss, this season might signal the beginning.

“I'm capable," Moss said last week, “of doing a whole lot more.”

image.png

image.png

image.png

The pundits only see Moss' receiving skills. Moss is a complete Tight End and his blocking skills are every bit as good as his receiving skills.

He'll be fun to watch in the NFL and some team is going to in a state of disbelief when he is still available when it's their pick in the draft.

• Like 1

I agree Herb, the guy I talked with and trust his opinion, agreed with me when I said Moss has become the perfect TE, blocking, receiving, etc. He has learned the position. Many want to just catch the ball, blocking and running a route come into play. One play I remember, the LSU WR was going across the middle, Moss didn’t as much block, but shielded the DB from making a play, allowing the player a pathway into the End Zone. Making sure not to have a flag thrown. For years, LSU players were known for downfield blocking, this too plays heaving in the NFL. Once it’s seen how many TE’s come out, we will have a feel for his draft stock, way too many teams are looking for a TE that can do what he does. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Herb said:

There were seasons when we wondered if we even had a Tight End.

I can't help but wonder what Foster Moreau would have done in this system. Hopefully Pettigrew comes back for a senior year.

Agree, Pettigrew should return, he’s played Special Teams, and a little mop up duty. Remember this, Jefferson was the last player signed in his class, two star. Some might be shocked to see how high he goes in the draft. He’s setting up well. Chase is NFL ready right now, and it’s not close. 

• 1 month later...

Thaddeus Moss shares his thoughts on his pending decision for next season

Dave Holcomb | 2 days ago

LSU has its eyes set on winning the national championship. That’s where the team’s primary focus is and should be, but it would only be human nature for some of the upperclassmen to already be considering their plans after the season.

Tigers tight end Thaddeus Moss gave an honest answer about what goes into that thought process before the season is finished.

“Everybody in this room, everybody on this football has dreams of playing at the next level,” Moss told local WAFB Channel 9 News in Baton Rouge. “Ever since they first started playing football, that’s everybody’s dreams, goals and aspirations. Us being this close, it’s kind of crazy. Also, playing at LSU and being in the position that we are, I wouldn’t (mind) playing another year if we’re going to be back doing the same thing that we did this year.”

Moss sounds like a man who’s enjoying his time with the Tigers, and who can blame him. LSU is aiming to become just the second team with a perfect 15-0 record in modern college football history. Furthermore, the Tigers offense has steamrolled opponents this season, leading the nation with 48.9 points per game.

Moss has contributed his fair share. He leads all LSU tight ends with 42 catches, 534 receiving yards and two touchdowns. He’s ranked fourth on the team in receiving yards and fifth in receptions.

Against Oklahoma in the Peach Bowl, Moss posted a season-high 99 receiving yards and a touchdown. He caught one of seven touchdown passes Joe Burrow threw in the 63-28 LSU win.

Stay or go?

It's a decision for later, but #LSU Thaddeus Moss recently shared a few thoughts on going pro or returning for his senior season as a Tiger.

Embedded video

• Like 1

I actually made both of the Moss calls, by the set formations. I also called one of the deep passes into the end zone. 

If was a fun and great night for all Tiger Fans, got back to the condo a little later. We met up at Tommy G’s for Food and Drinks. It’s open till 4am. I got to bed around that time. 

I’ll be heading back to BTR some time today. My friend that owns the condo said, “The place is yours for as long as you want!” But I got things to do. Maybe in a few weeks, I might come back and get in a vacation. 

• 2 weeks later...