Gameday Tigers

Post Game Stats/Items of Note

Fishhead

OFFENSE:

LSU completed passes to 14 different receivers. 

I said LSU completed passes to FOURTEEN FRIGGIN RECEIVERS!!?!!?

Justin Jefferson and Thad Moss each caught a long of 44 yds. 

Joe Burrow was 23-27 or over 85%

LSU scored TDs on it's first 5 possessions

LSU racked up nearly 500 yds of total offense even taking the foot off the gas later in the game up 52 points

Joe Burrow tied the LSU record with 5 TD passes, and played one possession in the 2nd half

Terrace Marshall caught 3 TD passes, all in the first half

LSU successfully ran a BEAUTIFUL RPO pass for a TD to Marshall

LSU successfully ran screen passes

LSU threw 11 passes to RBs just tonight.  Last year's total was 24.  Damn!

Average TOP on our TD drives- 2:10.  Two minutes and 10 seconds.  Is this real life??

Did I mention LSU completed passes to FOURTEEN FRIGGIN RECEIVERS???????????

DEFENSE:

LSU held an option offense to 98 yds TOTAL OFFENSE!

GSU was #1 in turnover margin last year in the NCAA.  LSU got two pastries tonight against this team.  LSU scored 14 points off those two pastries.

LSU recorded 5 tackles for loss and, separately, 2 sacks.  Doesn't seem overly impressive, but GSU only ran 50 offensive plays.  More than 10% ended in a loss of yardage. 

K'Lavon Chaisson killed a man tonight, resulting in a fumble. (he also had a sack that didn't count due to a delay of game penalty on GSU)

Jacob Phillips led the team in tackles with 10.  

Jacoby Stevens is complete beast mode. y tackles, and he's plays mean.  He's SO fast.

Grant Delpit is really good.  Recovered a fumble, but he's everywhere.  4 tackles, but 1.5 for loss. 

Damone Clark....O has mentioned him in literally every single presser.  He said "he's coming".  Well, he's here.  9 tackles tonight, also mean.

LSU gave up one single 3rd down conversion.  GSU was 1-12 on 3rd downs.

Patrick Queen...thought he was gonna rumble into the end zone on his fumble recovery, but still great play. 

SUMMARY: LSU is absolutely stacked on defense.  The "backups" are incredible athletes, man.  Derek Stingley didn't record a single defensive stat.  In other words, they didn't go his way.  Smart.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Cade York was 2-2 with a long of 48.  The 48 yarder would've been good from 58. 

Avery Atkins kicked off 10 times.  10 touchbacks.  Wow!

Zach Von Rosenberg punted thrice.  Averaged 51.5 yds per punt, NO return yardage.

Derek Stingley.  They didn't throw it his way, and I have a feeling teams will think twice punting it his way. 
4 returns including a fair catch.  The first one was returned 32 yds, the second 20.  He'll house one or two this year. Smoooooth runner. 

6 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Joe Burrow finished with a QB rating of 232.8 and a completion percentage of 85.2%

Reading ESPN's summary of week 1, they list the top QB performances but no mention of Burrow.  They talk about Trevor Lawrence who had something like 160 yds as opposed to Burrow who nearly doubled that in what was barely more than a single half.

On 8/31/2019 at 11:56 PM, Fishhead said:

Jacoby Stevens is complete beast mode. y tackles, and he's plays mean.  He's SO fast.

I am as happy for Jacoby as for anyone on D.  He came in as a 5* safety, and had a little trouble finding his way onto the field.  He played some WR his freshman year.  But, he has stuck with it, learned the defense, and contributed more each year.  He's fast, and a great size for a safety.  I hope he continues and has a great year!

Is anyone concerned about the RB position?  CEH was not as good as Brossette last year, and based on the first game, I can't say he progressed any from last year.  He is not a fast runner.  He has a little wiggle, but he's not a power back either.  He's a good pass receiver which will work well in this offense.  I see a competent good back, but not a star.  If he remains the starter, we will regress at RB from last year, IMO.  And last year we were competent but not great at RB.  Could teams, instead of 8 in the box to stop the run, sort of disregard the run in order to help out with our multiple star receivers?  Wouldn't that be ironic.

CEH and Lanard look just like I remembered them from last year.  If one of the new guys does not break out, I am going to be concerned at RB.  I'm already concerned we may not be balanced enough.

I guess the other thing I've been thinking about the game is we did not see Burrow or Brennan run with the ball.  I am guessing we saved that for the TX game.  I wonder what else we saved?

Don’t think this first game was anything to worry about, played a bunch of players, seeing who can play when the lights go on. Charles sitting out, allowed the other OT’s to play. Rosenthal still young. I watch a little of Wire, he looked very good. Deculus is looking better, has lost some of his bad weight, his steps and setup looked better. But once again, this was GSU, UTx will tell us so much more. 

The defensive side looked good with the line rotation. LB is really deep, same with DB. But once again, this next game will give us more. 

I said from the start, we would handle UTx much like we handled Miami last year. 

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

Is anyone concerned about the RB position?  CEH was not as good as Brossette last year, and based on the first game, I can't say he progressed any from last year.  He is not a fast runner.  He has a little wiggle, but he's not a power back either.  He's a good pass receiver which will work well in this offense.  I see a competent good back, but not a star.  If he remains the starter, we will regress at RB from last year, IMO.   

I guess the other thing I've been thinking about the game is we did not see Burrow or Brennan run with the ball.  I am guessing we saved that for the TX game.  I wonder what else we saved?

I don't know what to say about the first part. 

Clyde has to be the most underrated back we've ever had lol. 

We played every single back in rotations. Nobody was gonna get into a rhythm, which is necessary for a back. 

I'm guessing we saved Burrow running for TX. 

Brennan ran several times. It was weird. 

We ran no 11 formation and no empty sets. I know that's in the offense. 

We didn't show much. 

LSU puts double-digit true freshmen on the field

BySHEA DIXON Aug 31, 11:34 PM 

9406358.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: LSUSports.net)

LSU signed a full class of 25 prospects in the 2019 cycle, and it didn't take long for the freshmen and JUCO newcomers to get their first taste of college football.

In a 55-3 win over Georgia Southern, the Tigers played 13 true freshmen and 14 total signees from last year's class.

Among the freshmen who saw action in their first college game were running backs Tyrion Davis-Price and John Emery, wide receivers Devonta Lee and Trey Palmer, defensive backs Derek StingleyMaurice HamptonCordale Flott and Raydarious Jones, linebacker Kendall McCallum, offensive lineman Charles Turner, defensive linemen Siaki Ika and Joseph Evans and kicker Cade York.

"It’s great for morale," LSU head coach Ed Orgeron said. "They work hard and they are going to play. Most of the guys got a chance to play tonight."

Both Stingley and York earned the starting nod in the opener, with Stingley starting at cornerback and on punt returns. Stingley had four punt returns for 52 yards, which comes after LSU totaled just 99 punt return yards in the entire 2018 season.

"I think he did phenomenal," Orgeron said. "He’s going to make you miss. There was one punt coming out of their end zone, we wanted a return. We didn’t do a good enough job of blocking. We need to do a better job of freeing him up, and I think the guy is going to make some tremendous plays for us.

Orgeron also had high praise for York, who was 2-for-2 on field goals and 7-for-7 on extra points. His two field goals came from 48 yards and 39 yards.

"Thought he did phenomenal," Orgeron said. "And again, he has been on point in camp. He didn’t blink tonight. I thought he did a great job."

After signing arguably the nation's best running back class last cycle, both Emery and Davis-Price got involved in the offense. Emery had six carries for 20 yards and one catch for 17 yards, while Davis-Price had five carries for 13 yards and two catches for 24 yards.

"I thought it was a hell of a cut (Emery) made on the swing pass," Orgeron said. "Those guys have been showing us tremendous things at practice. We have five capable backs and we are going to play them all."

Both Palmer and Lee each caught one pass, while Ika and Evans both had a tackle as backups on the defensive line.

JUCO signee TK McLendon saw action at the tight end spot, catching one pass for 12 yards.

Fellow JUCO signee Soni Fonua didn't play, with Orgeron saying earlier this month that they were still working through academic hurdles in regards to his eligibility this fall.

Offensive linemen Kardell Thomas and Thomas Perry are both injured and weren't expected to see action in the opener, and cornerback Jay Ward was spotted walking in crutches during pre-game warmups.

19COMMENTS

Safety Marcel Brooks, outside linebackers Ray Parker and Desmond Little, offensive lineman Anthony Bradford, quarterback Peter Parrish and long snapper Quentin Skinner didn't see action in the opener. Brooks and Bradford are the two candidates who will likely see the most playing time from the group, with redshirts expected for players like Little, Parrish and Skinner given the depth at their positions.

The lone other signee is former four-star linebacker Donte Starks, who was cleared by the NCAA on Friday to enroll in school at LSU next week.

I'm not worries at all about the running game.

I'm okay with giving multiple RBs touches. Additionally, we have a phenom freshman in Emery (yeah, I'm pimping my man crush) who literally gave a whiff of what we're likely to see in the future.

We had 122 net yards rushing in a pass happy game. I expect to see slightly more ball control offense against Texas to win the TOP battle against a team returning zero starters in their defensive front seven.

7 hours ago, Herb said:

I'm not worries at all about the running game.

I'm okay with giving multiple RBs touches. Additionally, we have a phenom freshman in Emery (yeah, I'm pimping my man crush) who literally gave a whiff of what we're likely to see in the future.

We had 122 net yards rushing in a pass happy game. I expect to see slightly more ball control offense against Texas to win the TOP battle against a team returning zero starters in their defensive front seven.

Agree, but to point out, we actually won the TOP Saturday night running that offense.  

A lot of that had to do with NUMEROUS 3 and outs caused by the defense.  It's definitely a concern going forward with tougher competition

21 hours ago, LSUDad said:

I said from the start, we would handle UTx much like we handled Miami last year. 

I think TX will be a much tougher opponent than Miami was.  The biggest risk for TX, from what I have read, is they had to replace both starting cornerbacks from last season, so there is no college game experience there, except the La. Tech game.  Given Jefferson, Chase, and Marshall and Moss, with Burrow throwing to them, the corners could be in for a long night.

The TX offense should give us a good read on our defense.  They have a very good experienced QB, some good receivers and at least one good running back.  They will be a test.

I saw an interview with Deculus and they asked him about the hurry up offense.  He said "I was definitely winded at first when we started doing it, but it helped my lose a little weight and now it doesn't bother me".  He said he thought the o-line this year is ahead of last year's o-line.  They asked if they had a chip on their shoulder because everyone thinks they are the weak unit on the offense, and he said yes.  They hope to prove through the season they are improved.  He said, hey, no sacks is good!

On the early TD pass to Chase, looking at the replay, it looks like he was well covered and Burrow forced it in.  On the replay it looked like it could have as easily been an interception.  Anyone else see that?  Or, that was the tightest window I've ever seen.

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

On the early TD pass to Chase, looking at the replay, it looks like he was well covered and Burrow forced it in.  On the replay it looked like it could have as easily been an interception.  Anyone else see that?  Or, that was the tightest window I've ever seen.

Great throw? There was a 4" window. He threw it through a keyhole.  I mean, it's just an awesome throw by Joe. 

That was a great throw, QB’s know a DB is there because of their ability to not catch passes. That was tight, great throw and catch. He made great throws, but he also has a receiving group that knows, when the balls in the air, it’s theirs. That’s what makes great receivers. 

Archived