Gameday Tigers

Spread Orgeron!

Fishhead

I'm not dumb enough to ask if you like the new offense.  If you don't, I don't know what to say. 

But what were your specific thoughts about it?  Your favorite thing about it?  

One thing's for sure.  It's "multiple", it's "getting the ball to athletes in space", and every other cliche' Ol' Spread O has used over the past weeks and months. 

3 TEs caught passes, 5 running backs caught passes, and in total, 14 players caught passes tonight.  Tell the truth.  Did you ever expect to see that from LSU??

Oh, and 7/7 in the red zone. Including throwing the damn ball in the red zone.  

My take is, these guys, players and coaches, have been working extremely hard and came into this game 100% ready.  That was something that concerned me...thought they'd have to work out the kinks.  But it was flawless execution of the game plan and they didn't show nearly everything tonight.  Having said for a long time I'm "buying into" the new offense, I was still a bit shocked at how beautiful it was to watch.  Unreal. 

What's your take?

The refs seemed to be the only thing slowing down the pace at times.  What is notable is the precision in light of the pace, which is what Burrow brings to this team. 

There will be detractors that point out it was only Georgia Southern - and to some extent they are correct.  However, imprecise execution reveals itself against any opponent. 

Following up on Fish's note regarding 14 different players catching passes...with LSU's talent, you can't just focus on any subset of hands. Case in point is that Terrace Marshall got 3 TDs while the opponent tried to keep a lid on Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson.

This shows how the field has been completely opened up with this scheme coupled with having someone under center that can make quick and correct decisions.

The one "complaint" I saw elsewhere was regarding what looked like a 'running back by committee' approach with the run game.  I call BS on that and think those criticisms come from a "fanatasy football" mindset.  As LSU recruits at a high level, we need to show recruits in every upcoming cycle that they will get playing time early and if they focus on learning the playbook, they will get playing time and be featured in key plays.

We happen to have a stable of running backs and we need to feed the ball to whoever is available to make a gain.

The one caution I have moving forward is that the team we faced last night was not one that had talent to expose any holes on our OL.  Be prepared to see pressure on Burrow next week that we did not see this week...fear not, though, this cat is a warrior who understands how his position is played.

Lastly, I need to give a shout out to my mancrush, John Emery, Jr.  Dude looked like Marshall Faulk on that juke.  Can't wait to see more and more of him. I feel like someone that just had a bowl of ice cream and wants more.

I'm pretty sure you have an efficient offense when your QB throws more TD passes than incompletions.  To his credit, O said we were coming into the game with all pistols firing (not that we showed our whole offense) and we did.  What I specifically liked is that we got the ball in ALL of our playmaker's hands.  Defenses are going to have to account for every player who is eligible to receive. 

Yeah, I was just shocked at the precision and accuracy and speed with which the offense flawlessly operated. Like, zero hesitation.  

Obviously when Brennan came in there was hesitation, but that's to be expected, and following Texas, there's a stretch of games to get him plenty more live action.  He'll be fine.

Archived