Gameday Tigers

LSU at Tejas ... 6:30pm ABC

Nutriaitch

Texas, LSU Players Had To Be Separated During Warmups

LSU and Texas players have to be separated ahead of their game.Longhorn Network

There will be zero love lost tonight, when No. 6 LSU and No. 9 Texas hit the field in Austin today. The two sides have been exchanging barbs all week, and it looks like that energy has spilled out onto the field during warm-ups.

Longhorn Network happened to be interviewing former Longhorns basketball star Mo Bamba, when a bit of a skirmish broke out. LSU and Texas players had to be separated.

The video appears to show LSU players running through a Texas warm-up drill, leading to some words being exchanged from both sides. Things are clearly already pretty heated.

We were just having a nice time with Mo Bamba when a kerfuffle broke out on the field.

Embedded video

The Athletic’s Brody Miller was on hand for the brush-up. LSU and Texas have been trading words over which program holds the rightful title of “DBU,” so naturally, defensive backs were prominently involved.

It's getting chippy, baby. Looked like the #LSU defensive backs ran right through Texas running a drill, and both sides had to be separated. The LSU DBs just were jumping up and down laughing.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

They weren’t alone though. Among the LSU instigators, per Miller, is none other than K’Lavon Chaisson.

If you’ve been following the lead-up to this game, you definitely recognize that name. The Houston native, who spurned the Longhorns for the Tigers as a blue-chip recruit, has not been shy about calling out UT this week.

Early in the week, Chaisson took a shot at Sam Ehlinger’s abilities as a passer, something he lightly walked back later in the week.

He followed that up by saying that he doesn’t believe Texas has a chance to win tonight’s game. That, to my knowledge, he has not walked back at all.

This was already one of the most highly-anticipated games of the early part of the season, and a rare top 10 non-conference battle played on a school’s campus. The action in the press and, now, on the field ahead of the game certainly doesn’t mute any anticipation.

LSU and Texas get going at 7:30 p.m. ET from Austin. The game is being broadcast on ABC.

7 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I think because our D was on the field for longer periods of time - our drives were shorter than theirs were

Texas had the ball 8 minutes longer than we did.  Seems like we were gassed early and I never saw a sign where they had a player suffering from the heat like ours were.

A few observations:

- Give TX credit, they are a legit top 10 team IMO.  Ehlinger can run and throw, they have good receivers.

- LSU offense was excellent.  Burrow is legit, our receivers are excellent, o-line still needs improvement.

- LSU secondary got exposed.  Sometimes we gave Ehlinger too much time, but those big TX receivers were beating us.

- Tom Herman coaches a creative offense.

- LSU players had heart, they battled to the end and pulled it out.

- LSU did not play "not to lose".  We played to win.  We didn't call off the dogs at any point, or go conservative.  O has given the fans what we wanted, and it is good, better than the old conservative style thinking that cost of a game now and then.

- LSU needs to coach the "hands team" that when the ball is coming you way, you are not out there to block a man, you are out there to CATCH THE BALL!

- Cade York is a god-send.

17 minutes ago, COTiger said:

Texas had the ball 8 minutes longer than we did.  Seems like we were gassed early and I never saw a sign where they had a player suffering from the heat like ours were.

Thanks for making my point.  Our defense was on the field 8 minutes longer than theirs.  Nobody cramps on offense, ever. 

I watched the game at a friend's house and could not join chat.

I want to point out again that nobody in the media is talking about Joe Burrow as a Heisman candidate this year despite the fact that he has outplayed most players on "Heisman Watch" articles I see.

Burrow outplayed Ellingher, who is on everyone's watch list.

But I digress...

This was a great win for LSU on many levels.  Texas was a very talented team that LSU could not put away.  That is not a deficiency on LSU, but a testament to how good Texas is. 

What a freaking game! Both teams combined for over 1,100 yards of offense. LSU had 3 receivers with over 100 yards each (1st time in school history). 39 points scored in the 4th quarter...are you kidding me?

I don't think Texas deserves to fall out of the top 10 despite losing tonight. They came to play and a couple of breaks going their way could have resulted in an upset win for them. Texas is back and if UGA played them today instead of Bill Murray State, I think UGA would have lost to them again.

The one thing that worried me was our running game.  We did not have a running game by committee this week and instead played Edwards-Hellaire and Fournette almost exclusively. I think Davis-Price had a lone carry. 

Though CEH had 81 yards, we just did not seem to be able to run with authority when we needed it.  I'll probably eat my words when I look at the box score.

#BurrowforHeisman had 471 yds passing which puts him at 749 yards in 3 halfs of football with 9 TDs and 1 INT. 

I don't think Rashard Lawrence returned to the game and I hope this does not portend to be bad news.

This win was a tremendous recruiting PR statement.

And...Matthew McConaughey is a shitty actor and is not all that good looking (sorry ladies, if you disagree you might need to re-evaluate your standards).

Regarding CEH, almost 6 ypc.  Also catches well out of the backfield.  I still don't understand how he gets so little respect lol. 

If you're looking for Leonard Fournette or Guice, he ain't here.  Clyde is extremely solid though.  We didn't run much because...................................

We could throw anytime we wanted and be successful.  

I would like to see Emery, especially in a latter part of the game, just to see if he can burn a tired defense.  But we don't know...he may put the ball on the ground.  Gonna trust the coaches on this one.  We'll see him the next 3 weeks. 

Also, OL seems to pass block way better than run block.  I know they all got leaner since last year, obviously in preparation to run this spread Orgeron offense.  I'm sure there's a fine line somewhere, but we went from straight up run blockers who were iffy pass blockers to the opposite, and didn't change personnel.  IDK??  

Got any fat dudes that can handle the pace of this offense?  If not, then I vote to keep this offense and forget rushing for 200 yds/game.

7 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I would like to see Emery, especially in a latter part of the game, just to see if he can burn a tired defense.  But we don't know...he may put the ball on the ground.  Gonna trust the coaches on this one.  We'll see him the next 3 weeks.

I would agree with the coaches on which RB played also.  Emery and Davis Price are true freshmen, and apparently have not earned the coaches TRUST to hold onto the ball, and pass block.  CEH missed a block and Burrow got sacked, so he needs to work on which man to pick up.  I hope the freshmen earn the coaches trust soon.

Just saw this on cbssports.com:

Joe Burrow is a baller: The senior signal-caller closed his 2018 strong, and nothing has changed through two games in 2019. He has nine touchdown passes on the year and thrown just 12 incompletions. He routinely threaded the needle on Saturday night in Austin despite facing enormous pressure from a Texas defense that tried its best to heat him up with exotic blitzes as often as possible.

LSU has never had a quarterback like this. Burrow, with the help of Brady and his modern passing attack, has become as much of a threat as any quarterback in the country. Yes, as much as Clemson's Trevor Lawrence, Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa and Oklahoma's Jalen Hurts. Can he keep it up? It sure looks like it. He isn't afraid to take a hit and drops dime even when he knows that he's about to get laid out. Simply put, Burrow is one of the best quarterbacks in college football right now, and he proved it against a defense that just kept coming all night.

When -if ever - have you seen words like that written about an LSU QB?

Someone on FaceBook asked a question yesterday if Burrow was better than Bert Jones.  I won't dare to compare QBs from different eras that had way different supporting casts and schemes. My reply was that both are LSU legends.

So was just reading some articles about the game.  One interesting thing I learned.  That "Horns down" sign probably would have gotten a unsportsmanlike penalty if the Big12 reps were officiating.  Hope the guys don't do that next year in BR when they will be officiating

3 hours ago, dachsie said:

So was just reading some articles about the game.  One interesting thing I learned.  That "Horns down" sign probably would have gotten a unsportsmanlike penalty if the Big12 reps were officiating.  Hope the guys don't do that next year in BR when they will be officiating

I was under the impression that as long as horns down was directed at an LSU teammate and not a UTx player that it was ‘ok’

Archived