Gameday Tigers

GDT Podcast/Texas Recap

Fishhead

Great job, as usual!

One must agree that the defense needs work.  I agree with FH comment that LSU fans underestimated how good Ehlinger was, word was he was a better runner than passer, and he was just as good throwing the ball, probably made progress from last year.

My theory on the defense.  Our weakness is the d-line.  We can play the run pretty well, but we don't get pressure on the QB on pass plays.  When you give a QB as good as Ehlinger (who is in the Heisman discussion) time, and he has some very good receivers, even excellent DB's like ours will struggle.  I think our LB are good.  So, the question is, if we can't generate a pass rush, why don't we blitz more?  We may have to take some chances and hope we force a QB to make a mistake, and our DB's are good enough to take advantage of it.  FH, I watched Stingley, and I agree with you, he played very well for a true frosh, and he was on TX best receiver and held his own.

Let's talk about poor tackling.  Grant Delpit missed two that I saw, each resulted in a first down and kept drives going.  Kary Vincent missed one on Duvernay that gave UT a long touchdown.  It looked like Vincent wiffed, it wasn't close, at least Delpits misses were close, he almost got his man.

I see this week O is really getting on the defense.  I saw an interview with Jacoby Stevens, and he said they were working on tackling and pursuit to the ball.

Were the TX receivers that good (Duvernay looked pretty good and strong), or did we lack focus?  How could you lack focus in such a big game?

I think we've got the talent in the secondary and hopefully they figure it out and get better.  We'll need it for the stretch run.  Delpit went for an IV, did that affect his performance before he went out?

7 hours ago, houtiger said:

Kary Vincent missed one on Duvernay that gave UT a long touchdown.  It looked like Vincent wiffed,  

Tough to figure out exactly what happened there. But Kary was closing in at the same time Neil Farrell #92 was. I think both sorta pulled up to avoid going helmet to helmet with each other. I'll try and find some video of the play.

7 hours ago, houtiger said:

Let's talk about poor tackling.  Grant Delpit missed two that I saw, each resulted in a first down and kept drives going.  Kary Vincent missed one on Duvernay that gave UT a long touchdown.  It looked like Vincent wiffed, it wasn't close, at least Delpits misses were close, he almost got his man.

I see this week O is really getting on the defense.  I saw an interview with Jacoby Stevens, and he said they were working on tackling and pursuit to the ball.

Were the TX receivers that good (Duvernay looked pretty good and strong), or did we lack focus?  How could you lack focus in such a big game?

I think we've got the talent in the secondary and hopefully they figure it out and get better.  We'll need it for the stretch run.  Delpit went for an IV, did that affect his performance before he went out?

Delpit tried to blow people up instead of tackling.

and one dude just straight up trucked him into next week.  

Archived