Gameday Tigers

Joe Burrow, best LSU QB since.......

houtiger

I don't think we have to wait till the season is over to have this discussion.  Joe was good last year, and very good so far this year.  I think he's matured, has a new scheme, and I don't expect his efficiency to drop off, but we can come back and revisit this after the season.

Candidates include, Zack Mettenberger, Matt Flynn, JaMarcus Russell, Rohan Davey, Tommy Hodson, and Bert Jones.  Of course you can add your own, like Jeff Wickersham or others.  Include your assessment of Joe as an NFL player.

Mettenberger hung around with the Titans for a few years, started a few games one year, but gave way to Marriota and was out of the league.  Flynn was a backup in GB, had one great start, signed with Seattle to be the starter but got beat out by Russell Wilson and left the league.  JaMarcus, well we know what happened to him, BUST.  Tommy Hodson was a 3rd round pick by New England in 1990 and started the last six games of his rookie year, then hung around the NFL 5 more years as a backup. 

Bert Jones had the most successful NFL career as a starter for the Baltimore Colts.

Career highlights and awards

I think Joe is the best LSU QB since Hodson, and if you go on NFL potential, I think you have to go back to Bert Jones.  A lot could happen, but that's what I'm thinking right now.  Yes, the scheme he plays in favors a QB today, but we just have to deal with that difference.  What QB would you rather have?

When I consider the total package, arm talent, running ability, intelligence, game presence (poise), ability to read the defenses and make correct decisions, toughness, leadership, gets along with his teammates, I put Joe above Mett, Flynn, Russell and I think you have to go back to Hodson.  If I think who's going to have the better pro career, Hodson or Burrow, I project Burrow will.  Bert Jones had an excellent injury shortened NFL career, and it would not be reasonable to project that Burrow will make the pro bowl, so I think Bert Jones will stand as the best LSU QB when you include NFL success.

But, for me, right now, I would say Joe Burrow is the best LSU QB since Bert Jones.

• Like 2

The word "since" is challenging. The other challenge is "LSU quarterback" if the comparison is made about NFL QBs from LSU.

One missing from your list is Steve Ensminger's team mate David Woodley, who led his team to a Super Bowl. Woodley started his rookie year as the 4th QB on the depth chart, won the starting QB job, and set a Dolphins team record for most passes completed as a rookie that lasted until Ryan Tannehill was a rookie in 2012 (Dan Marino didn't even break that record).

I'm going to stick to concentrating on the "LSU QB" part of it and say that Burrow is the best LSU QB since Tommy Hodson. There have been other QBs since Hodson who took us back to the promised land, but in terms of NCAA passing, Hodson was the most prolific LSU passer we've had.

Burrow - honestly - is the best QB LSU has ever had.  It's frustrating as a fan that we did not get to see him in an LSU uniform for 4 years. The clip that Burrow is operating at now is unmatched in LSU history and if he keeps this up all season, Burrow will rewrite LSU single season passing records and hopefully will lead us to another championship.  All of that is possible.

Before the season started, Fishhead and I were chatting on FaceBook and I threw out the "#BurrowforHeisman" hashtag as a 'what if'. We both were like "It's possible, but nah".  Where we now stand, Burrow might be LSU's strongest candidate to see a player from the school become the long overdue 2nd Heisman Trophy winner. It's no longer improbable.

#BurrowforHeisman...it's not just for breakfast anymore.

• Like 2

To answer the question right this minute I'd say Joe is the best QB since Mett. In 2013 he put up some really good numbers. He completed almost 65% of his passes, threw for 3,082 yards and 22 TDs.  Ro in 2001 and JR in 2006 both had great years as well. Answer could change by the end of the season. I'd love to say he's the best QB since Y A Tittle! (I know but he is still the greatest in my book.)

Dad just put up an article about the NFL draft people moving Burrow to a first round pick.  Of course that is contingent of him maintaining the level of play as he showed the first two games.  The last QB we had selected in the first round was Bert Jones.  Obviously the draft sometimes gets it wrong, Woodley was drafted in the eighth round and was a three year starter for the Dolphins, and JaMarcus went as the top pick (albeit by a probably senile Al Davis) and went bust.

Edited:  I heard that the rest of the Raider org. did not want JaMarcus, at least not in the first round, but Al Davis saw him his Sr. year, and mostly based on what he saw in the Sugar Bowl, told the org. to take JaMarcus with the first pick.  Just like Bud Adams telling the Titans to take Vince Young over Matt Lienart, Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow wanted Lienart.  It shows your owner is seldom the best evaluator of talent.

For me, it is not just your stats at LSU, but also how the pros evaluate your talent. 

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, houtiger said:

Just like Bud Adams telling the Titans to take Vince Young over Matt Lienart, Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow wanted Lienart.  It shows your owner is seldom the best evaluator of talent.

I agree, but this is terrible example. 

Vince Young easily had the better pro career between these two. 

9 hours ago, houtiger said:

For me, it is not just your stats at LSU, but also how the pros evaluate your talent. 

im just the opposite. 

i really and truly don’t care what the pros think. i care what you do at LSU. 

Matt Mauck won us a title and had a very good season. The pros did not evaluate him highly and he lasted less than a year in the league.

the college and pro games are different from each other. a big enough difference that it is often very difficult to predict how a guy’s skill set will translate to the league.

look at what Tebow did at Florida. Hell even Wuerffel. Neither were highly thought of by the NFL, but they dominated college.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

I agree, but this is terrible example. 

Vince Young easily had the better pro career between these two. 

VY had a better rookie season, based on his running.  But he thought he didn't have to study.  Fisher tried to get him to study, he didn't.

I saw the head coach at Arizona say he could have done a better job motivating Leinert to study, and at Tenn maybe Fisher and Chow would have gotten through to Leinert.  Suffice to say, both were big disappointments, and they both now admit it openly, they are disappointments to themselves.  Neither studied the game hard enough.

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

im just the opposite. 

i really and truly don’t care what the pros think. i care what you do at LSU. 

Matt Mauck won us a title and had a very good season. The pros did not evaluate him highly and he lasted less than a year in the league.

the college and pro games are different from each other. a big enough difference that it is often very difficult to predict how a guy’s skill set will translate to the league.

look at what Tebow did at Florida. Hell even Wuerffel. Neither were highly thought of by the NFL, but they dominated college.

I care about what you do at LSU and what you do in the pros, in terms of judging how good a QB you were.  Mauck was a good college QB, not a successful pro.  His nat. championship, was it more a reflection of him, or the team he was on?  You could be fairly average at QB and if you're on a great team, you could win a natty.  Greg McElroy has a natty ring from InbredGumps, only played one season in the NFL, not a great QB.

Bert Jones did not win a natty at LSU, but I would take him in a heartbeat over Mauck or Flynn.  He was a pro bowler in the NFL and league MVP one year.

You can set the rules in the mancrush topic, but I set the rules in this one and I started it off saying I also wanted to consider NFL evaluation.  Where Burrow gets taken in the draft, and whether he makes a team, hangs around for a considerable time, whether he starts for a team for a considerable time, or whether he is a career backup, all will factor in to how good a QB he is in the long run, and I want to consider our opinions on those points.  That is all speculation, but that is what we are here for, to discuss football and have fun.  The topic about Joe's elevation to first round draft pick directly bears on how I rank him, apart from the rest of the team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, houtiger said:

You can set the rules in the mancrush topic, but I set the rules in this one and I started it off saying I also wanted to consider NFL evaluation. 

thats fair. 

was just pointing out that when ranking LSU quarterbacks, i only consider their time on campus.

point being is that because the NFL is a different game than college, there are some great college QBs that never even get a sniff in the NFL.

and actually vice versa as well.

Matt Cassel never started a game in college but had a longer and better career than Matt Leinart (whom he sat behind his entire college career).

so who was the better USC quarterback? the guy that won pair of Natty’s? or the one with the NFL career that never got playing time in College?

QB is a very difficult position to evaluate. They often get too much credit for success and too much blame for failure.  Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl. Who was the "better" QB?  Endless examples in college and pros. Maybe now with a wide open offense we can establish QBU at LSU! (pump the brakes son!!!!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2019 at 6:12 AM, Herb said:

Burrow - honestly - is the best QB LSU has ever had.  It's frustrating as a fan that we did not get to see him in an LSU uniform for 4 years. The clip that Burrow is operating at now is unmatched in LSU history and if he keeps this up all season, Burrow will rewrite LSU single season passing records and hopefully will lead us to another championship.  All of that is possible.

Before the season started, Fishhead and I were chatting on FaceBook and I threw out the "#BurrowforHeisman" hashtag as a 'what if'. We both were like "It's possible, but nah".  Where we now stand, Burrow might be LSU's strongest candidate to see a player from the school become the long overdue 2nd Heisman Trophy winner. It's no longer improbable.

#BurrowforHeisman...it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Herb got it right on this, good job!  Anything to add, anyone?

#BurrowforHeisman

• Like 1

Anyone remember this one?

Joe Burrow: LSU Offense Can Score “40, 50, 60 Points a Game”
John Duffley, Editor | July 2, 2019 4:46 pm
Joe Burrow: LSU Offense Can Score “40, 50, 60 Points a Game”

Con · fi · dence (noun): the quality or state of being certain

If there’s one thing you can be sure of, LSU Tigers quarterback Joe Burrow certainly doesn’t lack confidence.

As the leader of LSU’s offense, the 6-foot-4 senior quarterback finished his first year in Baton Rouge with the fourth-most passing yards in a single season in LSU football history (2,894). The transfer from Ohio Stateis poised to become only the fifth quarterback in school history to break the 6,000-yard mark for a career, and he’d be the first to do it since JaMarcus Russell. In 2018, Burrow set or tied eight school records, plus he became the only QB in LSU history with four wins over Top 10 teams in a single season.

ccc?text=ADVERTISEMENT

You won’t find a lack of confidence with this kid, and he’s setting LSU’s bar higher than ever for the 2019 college football season.

The permanent team captain attended the Manning Passing Academy this offseason, where he worked as a camp counselor for some of the top high school quarterback prospects in the country. Sporting a new haircut and added weight heading into his final season, Burrow sat with reporters and discussed LSU’s new-look, no-huddle offense that offensive coordinator Steve Ensmingerand passing-game coordinator Joe Brady are implementing this year.

LSU is replacing its leading rusher from last season (Nick Brossette) and top tight end (Foster Moreau) after jumps to the NFL, but the Tigers have plenty of weapons coming back for this new offense.

According to The Advocate, Burrow is heavily involved in creating plays and giving input on reads for specific situations. That confidence in his abilities, and the rapport he’s built with wide receivers like Justin Jefferson, has Burrow thinking LSU can be one of college football’s most explosive offenses next year.

“I think we’re going to score a lot of points, and I don’t think a lot of people are used to LSU scoring 40, 50, 60 points a game. I think if we do what we need to do up until fall camp and continue our hard work in fall camp, we can be one of the best offenses in the country.”

— LSU’s Joe Burrow, h/t The Advocate

RELATED: Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa Hurt Again, Adding to Long List of Injuries

The aspiring trader on Wall Street had a previous internship with Goldman Sachs, already owns a degree from Ohio State University, and was named to the 2018 SEC Academic Honor Roll. The 2019 Fiesta Bowl Offensive Player of the Game is smart, decisive, strong-willed, and not surprisingly, as confident as they come.

But scoring “40, 50, 60” points a game? That’d be historic.

After winning 10 games, including that final victory over the UCF Knights, LSU finished last year averaging 32.4 points per game (38th in NCAA). That’s the most in a season since 2013, when Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry combined for 2,345 receiving yards and 18 touchdowns.

Since head coach Ed Orgeron took over for Les Miles back in 2016, the LSU offense has scored 40 or more points in just 10 of 34 games, and one of those was a seven-overtime loss to Texas A&M last season.

If LSU threatens to score “40, 50, 60 points” regularly, this offense would have a season unlike anything fans have ever witnessed inside Louisiana’s Tiger Stadium.

74238B4B-E165-448C-A697-B30B7A0085F7.jpeg.12897cb6d9017b93873c30edffc69257.jpeg

• Like 2