Gameday Tigers

LSU vs Northwestern State

Nutriaitch

You won't get the shyte here you might get elsewhere for stating your thoughts, mon frere. Welcome aboard.

This is our 2nd season over here.  We have a core of passionate people that are treated like family...for some reason they are even nice to me.

So..........

First half had me furious, however...

I don't know if Aranda is trying different methods to get pressure, but the defense is horrendous getting pressure without blitzing and it results is easy pass completions for the other team.  

It should be noted basically the entire DL was out for one reason or another.  Chaisson, Divinity, Logan, and Rashard Lawrence that I know of.  So...Shelvin was the only starter? 

That said, we weren't playing Texas tonight and in the first half, the defense looked exactly like it did against Texas in the 2nd half last week.  This was against a team that got boat raced by a D2 school last week.  Come on!

Fortunately, the 2nd half brought out a different defense.  I don't know if it was scheme or the players woke up, but they played well in the 2nd half, giving up nothing. Credit to coaches and players for that. 

Offense is just damn good.  Well over 600 yds of offense and 65 points, and Burrow wasn't satisfied in the post game interview on the field.  

OK, back to the defense...

IDK if y'all watch the Gumps, but Tua and Jerry Jeudy will FEAST on this defense as we're playing it right now.  GOTTA clean it up. 

OK, now the celebration. 

Victory #800!!!  In the books. 

On to Nashville.  

Podcast will be out by Monday on the site, hopefully tomorrow.  Nootch isn't happy, I can tell you that. 

I knew we'd win and I knew we'd eventually win big, but what concerned me the most was that it looked like in the 1st half we returned to the 'play down to the level of our competition' mindset (at least defensively).

Let's face it, NLU is not as good of a program as teams like Troy, Appy State, etc.,. I was concerned our players appeared to think all they had to do was show up in uniform and the game would be akin to a non-contact scrimmage in pads.

I also got the impression that the press surrounding Burrow got to his head and it took the :pastry: to settle him down and get him grounded again.

I hope for everyone that stepped on the field lasty night that this was a "teachable moment".

I expected a Texas hangover and you could feel the lack of energy at the beginning of the game on the field. Brandon Taylor during the post-game on 98.1 tore the team a new one for that.  Defense is still concerning and that even goes back to very end of last season. Do people have Aranda figured out?  Brandon Taylor wasn't giving them any slack last night. He and Marlon Favorite pointed out that the offense should not slow it down if conditioning is an issue with the defense. They both pointed out that we finally have the offense everybody has been clamoring for so the defense has to step up.  Joe Burrow is putting on a clinic and so are our receivers on how not to drop passes! At the end of the day, we put them away.🐅

1 hour ago, Herb said:

I also got the impression that the press surrounding Burrow got to his head and it took the :pastry: to settle him down and get him grounded again.

Joe has been throwing into tight windows, at times, all this season.  We talked about one TD pass against Ga. Southern, I think it was caught by Chase, and it looked like it went through the defenders hands first.  It was a risky throw, but he completed it.  Against TX, he had a pass into the endzone that a TX defender got his hand on, should have intercepted, but he dropped it.  We scored the next play, so all was good (not). 

The int. against NWS, I actually didn't feel so bad about.  It appeared to me two receivers went up the field, one deeper and one shorter, with two defenders.  The shorter receiver was open, Joe threw to him, but the guy who intercepted was covering the deeper receiver.  The deeper cover guy must have read Joe's eyes and saw he was not going to throw to the deep guy, and he left his man and started running back to the shorter receiver, and he just ran in front of him and intercepted the ball.  Joe could have seen that and thrown the ball away, but he didn't.  But the receiver did not look like he was double covered because he was not, originally.  Joe has gotten VERY confident and he's made a few risky throws that have worked out, or not hurt us.  This is the continuing development.  Should he EVER just throw it away?  He's got to learn that.  Being confident is good, until it becomes over-confident.  I didn't look at the play over again, but that's what I thought during the play.

3 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Oh and Trey Palmer. Wow! Looking awfully Skyler Greenish on that return. And props to Emery and Davis-Price as well for first collegiate TDs.

O said in his news conf. after the game that Palmer had won the state 200 meter dash in high school, he should be pretty fast.  Next Trindon Holloway? :classic_biggrin:

Archived