Gameday Tigers

Post Game Stats/Northwestern State Demons Game

Fishhead

Offense

610 yds total offense
122 Rushing
488 Passing

Burrow 
21-24  373 yds 2 TDs and 1 AWFUL INT, Joe also rushed for a score.

Brennan
8-9 115 yds (Myles looked very good)

Helaire 7 carries for 30 yards and 2 TDs

Tyrian Davis-Price looked strong tonight, added a couple of catched and had 2 TD on the ground

Emery showed lower body strength on his TD run

Marshall  6 75 2 21 

Jefferson 5 124 0 48 

Jenkins  5 67 0 35 

Sullivan 4 51 0 19 

Dillon  3 41 0 26 

Kirklin  2 75 0 65

Punt returns:

Stingley 3 for 54 yds, looks like he could break every one he touches

Trey Palmer 1 for 54 yds, has broken every one he's touched

I'd like to see Palmer on KOs, dammit!  He's so damn fast and still has lateral moves. 

KO Returns: 

We finally did something besides fair catch

CEH returned 3 KOs for 76 yds

DEFENSE:

Lots of guys played, few shined, 1 sack, no turnovers although Fulton and Sting each had their chance.  Fulton's would have been 6.  

Only stat worth mentioning, LSU held NWSt scoreless in the 2nd half after looking like a steaming pile of crap in the 1st half. 

It should be noted SEVERAL starters were held out due to injury or something else.  Divinity, Chaisson, Lawrence, and Logan all sat out.  Fulton didn't start, but eventually came in out of, I believe, necessity.  Todd Harris suffered what appeared to be a very serious knee injury.  Fulton was not expected to play but they were torching the secondary with little push from the DL in the first half.  Aranda needs to figure this out.  We picked up right where we left off last week on defense. 

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Tough to gauge any QB when the come into a game under the circumstances that MB did. However, what I did see is him hitting receivers in stride which is what you want to see.

I think last night was Myles' best showing to date. Against GSU there was such a change in the offensive gameplan when Brennan came in that it was not fair to judge him for the complete slowdown in tempo and one could wrongly conclude that it was somehow "pedestrian'.

Last night, Myles was working the fast pace tempo to perfection and I was relieved to see to see him execute that gameplan without missing a beat.

I also saw someone that has beefed up as opposed to looking like someone that an average hit could affect.

In earlier showings, some of his passes looked like they had a little too much zing on them...I did not see any evidence of that last night.

Seems to me that some of our poor pass defense is missed reads of who on defense has who on offense.  Last week against TX, when their running back was wide open and dropped the short pass to the end zone, he was uncovered and it looked like when the play was over, Jacob Phillips was the guy that was supposed to pick him up.  The play went to the offenses right and the RB slipped out to his left and was not picked up.  It looked like Phillips wanted to flow to the play.  Mis-direction got him, I think.  That's coachable, gotta stay focused on your responsibility.  Phillips has a lot of experience, so I'm surprised at this point.

Last night, totally different situation, but NW had a 3 man bunch of receivers on their left, and a man came totally free and made a TD.  Lack of communication, or players on D just don't know who is responsible for who?

That's coachable, and should improve.  But it sure is good we have a few weeks to work this out before Florida game.

As the pundits like to point out, Delpit is arguably the best defensive player in the country.

I think what you see in Delpit's play is avoiding an injury in meaningless games that would jeopardize his upcoming NFL payout. Can't blame him.

I don't see him disappearing like Arden Key pretty much did his entire senior year.

3 hours ago, Herb said:

As the pundits like to point out, Delpit is arguably the best defensive player in the country.

I think what you see in Delpit's play is avoiding an injury in meaningless games that would jeopardize his upcoming NFL payout. Can't blame him.

I don't see him disappearing like Arden Key pretty much did his entire senior year.

Texas was far from a meaningless game, and he was amazing against GSU.  

Agree on your last sentence.  I haven't seen any signs he'd disappear like Key.  There were signs with him...like leaving LSU for months prior to the season and coming back fat as frick.

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Texas was far from a meaningless game, and he was amazing against GSU.  

Agree on your last sentence.  I haven't seen any signs he'd disappear like Key.  There were signs with him...like leaving LSU for months prior to the season and coming back fat as frick.

I was referring to NLU as a meaningless game. 

Looking forward to your podcast.

3 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Just realized Chris Curry did not play. Not sure what to take from that.  Don't think it was disciplinary. I know they want to get the two freshman ready and we can certainly use more speed coming out of the backfield.

Emery got minimal playing time, Davis Price got a lot less than I hoped for.  Not sure what to think of any of it, I think all three should have seen the field more.

Archived