Gameday Tigers

The Ugly

Fishhead

Remember elsewhere we used to do a good, bad, and ugly segment after each game.  Well the good is so stinking obvious, what's the point? Joe is great, Jamaar Chase is beast mode, etc......we have a juggernaut offense. 

But the ugly....I bet different people have different takes.  I'll give mine, you give yours. With regards to yesterday's game. 

So a concern of mine heading into the season was, would O leave the offense alone and not meddle.  So far, he's had zero reason to meddle.  But......

At the end of the first half, why all of the sudden did we put the brakes on the offense??  Just go score, O!  We had time!  Hell, if there's a second on the clock, THIS offense has time to score, dammit.  But there was a minute or more!  And the sudden reluctance to go score led to...a score...FOR VANDY!!  

Not just the reluctance to score, but getting away from what this offense is and does.  All of the sudden, we're handing the ball off up the damn middle, Clyde fumbles, TD Vandy.  FRICK!

OK, that's mine, you go. 

The obvious again.  Our defense.  Lots of starters out but we cant be relying on one group of guys to carry us 4 quarters, especially when they aren't going to get much rest time in between drives with this new offense.  We need something to gel and quickly.  They need to go back to talking fundamentals and not the big shot so I can show up on Sportcenter.  We need help from everyone on this one.   Not sure if Aranda is experimenting or we just don't have the talent to do what he wants, but something needs to get fixed fast.

Why cant we have bth a good offense and a good defense?  Why does it have to be one or the other?

Living here in OK, the mantra for the last few years has been "our defense doesn't have to be great, just mediocre to decent".  Is this what we've become in 4 games?  I hope not because InbredGumps definitely can hang in a track meet.  Auburn, A&M and maybe even UF can make it dangerous.

Aranda didn't just get stupid in one offseason, so how much of the effect is due to offensive speed (ours) and missing starters?  I don't think that question gets answered until UF.  Interesting thing though,  the media sure likes offense because the tigers never got that much respect with the strong D, but now they can't quit tripping over their tongues with praise for the offense.

6 minutes ago, burlesontiger said:

Living here in OK, the mantra for the last few years has been "our defense doesn't have to be great, just mediocre to decent".  Is this what we've become in 4 games?  I hope not because InbredGumps definitely can hang in a track meet.  Auburn, A&M and maybe even UF can make it dangerous.

Aranda didn't just get stupid in one offseason, so how much of the effect is due to offensive speed (ours) and missing starters?  I don't think that question gets answered until UF.  Interesting thing though,  the media sure likes offense because the tigers never got that much respect with the strong D, but now they can't quit tripping over their tongues with praise for the offense.

I think it is a combo of injuries and youth (at least that is what I hope). We're also scoring so quickly that we're not resting the defense - which is why I brought up the flip we see now in time of possession. 

When the defense is now on the field for an extra half of a quarter of total playing time because the offense is so efficient, they are not only getting gassed at some point but this is contributing to the injury factor.

We *should* have "reload" depth pretty much across the board.

5 hours ago, Herb said:

I think it is a combo of injuries and youth (at least that is what I hope). We're also scoring so quickly that we're not resting the defense - which is why I brought up the flip we see now in time of possession. 

When the defense is now on the field for an extra half of a quarter of total playing time because the offense is so efficient, they are not only getting gassed at some point but this is contributing to the injury factor.

We *should* have "reload" depth pretty much across the board.

This will probably come out wrong, but hear me out. 

Now we're dominating defenses and it takes no time to score. That puts our D on the field more. But it's ok because we score at will. 

If we run into a defense that can slow this offense down, it'll slow the scoring down, but likely result in longer drives, allowing the defense a little more rest. 

Bottom line, when you're missing over half of the starting front 7, the entire defense will suffer.  We need to get healthy and get youngins experienced. 

With regards to Dachs' point, we gotta tackle better in the secondary.  

I think it has something to do with fall camp and so many being out. You play how you practice. We practiced soft. 

4 hours ago, Fishhead said:

This will probably come out wrong, but hear me out. 

Now we're dominating defenses and it takes no time to score. That puts our D on the field more. But it's ok because we score at will. 

If we run into a defense that can slow this offense down, it'll slow the scoring down, but likely result in longer drives, allowing the defense a little more rest. 

Bottom line, when you're missing over half of the starting front 7, the entire defense will suffer.  We need to get healthy and get youngins experienced. 

With regards to Dachs' point, we gotta tackle better in the secondary.  

I think it has something to do with fall camp and so many being out. You play how you practice. We practiced soft. 

Makes sense.

I think we're arriving at the same destination but taking slightly different routes of description.

14 hours ago, cul2969 said:

Seems to me that Aranda is trying different things to see what we can and can't do. I see us playing a lot more zone and less man-to-man. Clearly we suck at playing zone. :classic_smile:

Aranda has been using different coverages, different sets, using a number of players. Trying to get in game experience. This is a great time to do this. 

We had a few injuries in this game, a great time to rest starters. If they are not at 100%, why play them? 

Neil Farrell has had a quiet time of making plays, going almost unnoticed. 

This was a game that lasted a little over 4 hours. 

Ill say this again, the targeting rule, sitting out, ejecting, etc, has somewhat added to the tackling problems. Agree about wrapping up, we didn’t just forget about how to tackle. 

From DandyDon:

What’s up with the LSU defense?

I heard from readers who said the problem is tackling. Others said injuries. Still others pointed to LSU’s offense scoring too fast or to lacking leadership. The truth is, it’s not one of these things. It’s ALL of these things. Here’s my quick rundown of what I see as LSU’s problems on defense:

1. Tackling

It all starts here. Simply put, LSU has done a sub-par job of open-field tackling. You know it, I know it, and Coach Ed Orgeron knows it. We’ve seen some of LSU’s best defenders, including All-American Grant Delpit, whiff on tackles time and time again. After the game, Orgeron made it clear that the team must get better in this regard and said there are some different drills they are going to start doing in practice. I would add that some of the defensive backs need to focus more on wrapping up the opponent and less on stripping the ball. 

2. Injuries

LSU played the game with several key starters on defense. DE Rashard Lawrence, DE Glen Logan, and OLB K’Lavon Chaisson all missed the game with injury. LB Michael Divinity exited in the second quarter and didn’t return. Safety Todd Harris is out with a season-ending injury. Those are very significant players, folks. And what hasn’t been mentioned yet is that on Vandy’s first offensive possession – which resulted in seven easy points – LSU was also without DE Neil Farrell and NT Tyler Shelvin who sat out due to missing some practice time during the week. Justin Thomas and Joe Evans started in their places and looked like the third-stringers that they are. After that drive, with Farrell and Shelvin on the field, the Tigers forced back-to-back three-and-outs.

3. Lack of Pass Rush

This goes hand-in-hand with the above note on injuries. LSU’s lack of pass rush has been an issue all season. Whether it was “rust” or “health,” Chaisson didn’t really look “100 percent” in the first three games. With Chaisson out for the Vandy game, Divinity was moved to the outside to bolster LSU’s “rushability” and then suffered an injury of his own. Now, with Divinity likely to be out for several games, this issue is a growing concern. The good news is that Chaisson will likely be good to go in two weeks and Damone Clark showed in the second half that he can help here as he tallied two sacks and was in the backfield a lot.

4. Lack of Leadership:

I mentioned this in last week’s Mail Call. Some of the communication issues “probably” have to do with LSU learning to live without a leader like Devin White. Guys who we pegged as defensive leaders heading into the season were Lawrence, Chaisson, and Divinity. Again, they were all out. I put the word “probably” in quotations because this is just speculation and I have not heard of any player or coach mentioning a lack of leadership. This may or may not be an issue, but if it is I think we can expect it to improve as the season goes on.

5. LSU’s Highly Efficient, Fast-Paced Offense

Folks, when a team scores as quickly and as often as LSU does, its defense will be on the field a lot. Take the first quarter of Saturday’s game, for example. LSU scored touchdowns on each of its first four drives and none of them took more than 1:56 off the clock. One of them took a mere 11 seconds. All told, LSU’s offense was only on the field for 15 plays in the first quarter, while its defense was on the field for 30. Time of possession was even more lopsided – 4:35 for LSU and 10:25 for Vandy. Perhaps this wouldn’t be a big deal if LSU’s defense was as deep as it was to start the season, but the aforementioned injuries only exacerbate this “problem.” And really, can you call scoring too quickly and too often a problem?

Final Thoughts: As one of my readers pointed out, the defense certainly did not pass the eye test, but giving up 24 points (remember, 14 points came off turnovers) is probably equivalent to previous incarnations of LSU’s run-heavy, clock-eating teams giving up 14. I’m not worried about No. 5 above, and I think leadership (No. 4) will emerge as players return and others mature. I expect No. 3 (pass rush) to improve when LSU gets Chaisson and Lawrence back, and I fully expect Dave Aranda to have a few schemes up his sleeve that he hasn’t yet shown. At the rate he’s getting paid, he’d better. My biggest concerns are numbers 1 (tackling) and 2 (injuries). As for No. 1, Richard Dickson made a good point on the post game show when he said that tackling generally improves as the season progresses. It improved last year after the Florida game. Let’s hope it improves before the Florida game this time.

Along those lines...

Peek at LSU vs. Vanderbilt film: A dive into LSU's run game corrections, defensive issues

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Welcome to Highlights, where we'll break down significant portions from LSU's last football game.

(Click to enlarge photos)

LSU 66, Vanderbilt 38

How It Happened

Improving the run game: Before the Vanderbilt game, it wasn't hard to notice that LSU's run game had taken a back seat. The Tigers didn't produce a 100-yard rusher in the first three games, which was the first time the program started with such a drought since 2009. Even a pre-game show broadcaster said on the field before the game that LSU had "a one-dimensional offense," and that "Vanderbilt must make them prove they can run the ball." LSU center Lloyd Cushenberry overheard that broadcaster, and he used that as motivation.

LSU rushed for 181 total yards against Vanderbilt, and junior running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire became the team's first 100-yard rusher of the season, gaining 106 yards on 14 carries and scored a touchdown.

So what changed?

Well, LSU coach Ed Orgeron said the team struggled to run the ball in previous weeks because they were trying to run new gap blocking schemes.

The gap scheme is a bit complex: Blocking assignments are based on angles and include double teams and pulling linemen from the back side of the play. If they're not executed well, aggressive defensive lines can seal holes off with ease. Using that scheme, LSU averaged 3.5 yards per carry against Northwestern State, a winless FCS team. For reference, LSU averaged 4.0 yards per carry in 2018.

So Orgeron said the coaching staff shelved the gap schemes and returned to their standard zone blocking schemes. It's a widely-used scheme in which offensive linemen are assigned a gap, and they block defenders that are in those gaps.

It didn't take long for this scheme to show success against Vanderbilt.

• On the second play of the game, Cushenberry said LSU ran an inside zone to the left on first-and-10 at the LSU 45. Vanderbilt lined up in its standard 4-2-5 defense (pictured right), and the blocking assignments worked out pretty simply. Left tackle Saahdiq Charles engaged the defensive end and left guard Adrian Magee used the defensive tackle's momentum to guide him safely into the backfield. That left the linebackers and the back-side defensive linemen.
  • In zone blocking schemes, offensive blockers tend to cut off the back-side of a play than to try and blow those defenders off the ball. Those back-side defenders can still catch up to the play if they're not blocked, but you'll generally see offensive linemen quickly engage them before trying to work up toward the more dangerous defenders downfield. Those second-level defenders are generally linebackers or safeties, and if offensive linemen can get those players blocked, that's when runners have the best chance to gain large chunks of yardage. Cushenberry said the offensive line hadn't been getting to the second level in previous games. "They've been filling the holes," he said. "We worked on that a lot this week, and it came together today."

• Cushenberry worked up to the near-side inside linebacker, and right guard Damien Lewis engaged the defensive tackle quickly before pursuing the back-side linebacker (pictured right). Lewis' block opened up a seam in the middle of the field, and Edwards-Helaire burst through. All that was left for Vanderbilt was its safety, whom Edwards-Helaire made miss on the way to a 46-yard run, the longest of the season for LSU.
BY BROOKS KUBENA | Staff writer
  • Sometimes zone blocking schemes can be effective when defenses blitz. Here, on second-and-1 at the LSU 34 in the third quarter, the Vanderbilt middle linebacker will end up taking himself out of the play (pictured right). The linebacker blitzes up the middle, and the LSU offensive line is able to hold fast with his pressure. Tight end Thaddeus Moss kicked out the outside linebacker, and right tackle Austin Deculus is able to get enough push on the defensive end to create a hole on the right side of the line.
image.png.84533b0791d3573a1b5880ea27f94954.png

SEC Network

BY BROOKS KUBENA | Staff writer
  • This play is also a credit to Edwards-Helaire's vision. He's searching for a hole as soon as he gets the ball, since zone blocking is very adaptive.  He takes a few steps forward, sees the hole on the right side, and cuts through it. Since the Vanderbilt middle linebacker has already blitzed up the middle, the only remaining defender near the line is the safety. Edwards-Helaire makes him miss and rushes 25 yards to the Vanderbilt 

image.png.d0253ea3a606988de0997fccd47c8400.png
  • Last one. Here's one where the defense does everything right against the zone run, but it still works out for LSU anyway. It's late in the fourth quarter, and LSU is leading 66-31 and has the ball first-and-10 at its 14. The Tigers have taken to run the football in order to run the clock out and end the game. Vanderbilt sells out for the run and blitzes two safeties on each edge of the line of scrimmage (pictured right). Vanderbilt safety Brendon Harris (the far side safety) should make this play. He finds the hole on the left side of the line of scrimmage and easily gets into the backfield. It appears that this run is designed to go to the right. True freshman John Emery runs right and sees that it's walled off by defenders. Harris should make the tackle here, but Emery steps out of his grasp and cuts through the remaining open hole. That's another positive in this run scheme: if a running back gets past the blitzing safety, there's virtually no one left for several yards if all the other blocks are effective. Emery rushes 21 yards to the LSU 35.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

The other side of the ball...

Scott Rabalais

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Two former LSU Tigers were among those watching Saturday in a state of shock and awe as their former team out relay-raced Vanderbilt 66-38.

Former Tiger quarterback Zach Mettenberger watched as Joe Burrow threw six touchdown passes, erasing the LSU single-game record of five TD passes they both shared, and thought how this is how modern college football is played and that the Tigers are playing it.

Ex-LSU kicker David Browndyke watched the points pile up on the scoreboard like the national debt clock and thought how his late coach Bill Arnsparger, one of the best defensive coaches of all time, would have been none too thrilled.

This season has brought a brave new world of LSU football, and four games in the adjustment period is still an evolving thing.

A few years ago this is a game the Tigers would have won by something like the 27-3 score they hung on Vandy their last time here in 2010.

LSU history-makers: See new records set by Joe Burrow, Ja'marr Chase in Vanderbilt rout

Between visits to the Music City (LSU was also here for the 2014 Music City Bowl, losing 31-28 to Notre Dame) the Tigers’ offensive tempo has gone from adagio (slow and stately) to presto (very fast). And for better, or worse, the LSU defense has been swept along with it.

In other words, in a very short and jarring period of time, LSU has become something that looks a lot like Oklahoma, a team that can’t be stopped but has a hard time stopping anyone else.

It is one thing when Texas hangs 38 points on LSU. It’s another when it's winless, relatively hapless Vanderbilt. It was a point total Saturday that included a pair of defensive touchdowns by the Commodores — one on a fumbled exchange by Clyde Edwards-Helaire, the other on a late pick-six thrown by Myles Brennan. But there were still blown assignments and sloppy tackling enough to deepen the frown lines in Ed Orgeron’s tanned face.

“We had some pretty plays and some uncharacteristically bad plays,” Coach O said.

To be fair, the Tigers have been mighty hampered by defensive injuries. Four defensive starters sat out this one: safety Todd Harris (out for the season), defensive ends Rashard Lawrence and Glen Logan and outside linebacker K’Lavon Chaisson. Orgeron said LSU basically had to start a second-string defensive line. And losing linebacker Michael Divinity halfway through did nothing to help the cause.

Going faster on offense is also a contributing factor. But to Orgeron, a career defensive coach, it doesn’t nearly coverup all the Tigers’ defensive sins.

“We’re not happy at all,” he said. “That first drive we were playing four technique and were in the ‘B’ gap and we had guys jumping in the ‘A’ gap.” And the faster-paced offense, he said, “has nothing to do with missed tackles. It has nothing to do with our offense.”

+3

3 takeaways from LSU blowout: Big offense, spotty defense; unflappable Burrow; injuries hit hard

It’s part of the dizzying reidentification of LSU football this season, a season in which the chronic concerns have shifted so quickly and completely from offense to defense.

The offense, whose point total also benefited from a blocked punt scoop and score by Micah Baskerville (he had himself one heck of a day on special teams) still poured on 59 points of its own in the highest-scoring regulation output ever by LSU in an SEC game (this is leaving aside the 74-72 seven-overtime loss at Texas A&M last November). That bested LSU’s season scoring average coming in of 55 points per game. The Tigers have poured on 231 points in their first four games, LSU’s most prolific offensive start since 1930.

“We’re starting to see what we can do in every game versus every team,” Burrow said. “This is who we are as an offense. We’re going to throw it to open up the running lanes. I’m happy with where we are.”

It’s an offense that gives LSU a chance to win every game on its schedule, including that one Nov. 9 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. But if you think LSU can play defense like this and contain Alabama’s brilliant passing attack, think again.

That said, there is still enough time and still enough pieces to work into a coherent whole to hold off on passing judgment against the Tigers’ defense. National college football observers won’t fret as much over LSU’s defense as the folks on the home front. They’ll be dazzled by Burrow’s half-dozen touchdown throws.

This is fashion in college football, the de rigueur way of doing business. And it’s certainly a good day for a Heisman contender’s stats. This is how Oklahoma quarterbacks keep winning the sport’s biggest prize. They get in scoring extravaganzas like this and the stats pile up.

“All the best defenses have a game like this,” said safety JaCoby Stevens, who had a late interception to thrill the home folks from nearby Murfreesboro. “We have two weeks before Utah State (on Oct. 5) to fix that. These guys are really good coaches. It’s really too much time not to get better.”

It sounds reasonable, especially considering how good LSU usually is on defense.

But this season LSU football has been turned on its ear. Black is white. Up is down. And it may very well be true all season long that the best defense may be a good offense.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png