Gameday Tigers

Coaches Firings, New Hires, Coaching Changes

LSUDad

Report: First Power 5 head coach fired

Andrew Olson | 4 hours ago

The first firing of a Power 5 coach in 2019 has reportedly happened before the calendar has turned to October. Rutgers has reportedly fired coach Chris Ash on Sunday.

Ash’s tenure at Rutgers did not go well. In three-plus seasons (2016-present), Ash logged an 8-32 record as head coach. The best finish for the Scarlet Knights under Ash was fifth in the Big Ten East (2017). His other two full seasons (2016, 2018), Rutgers finished seventh in the Big Ten East. Ash’s squad was 3-26 in Big Ten conference play during his tenure.

00:10

The last three weeks, Rutgers has been outscored 112-16 in losses to Iowa (30-0), Boston College (30-16) and Michigan (52-0).

ADVERTISEMENT

Ash, 45, started his coaching career in 1997 as a grad assistant at Drake. He has multiple decades of coaching defense, as a defensive backs coach and defensive coordinator. Ash’s lone SEC stop was at Arkansas in 2013 as the Razorbacks’ defensive coordinator. After leaving UA, he joined Urban Meyer’s staff at Ohio State as co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach for the 2014 and ’15 seasons.

Rutgers signed Ash to a five-year, $11 million deal in December of 2015.

Keith Sargeant✔@KSargeantNJ

BREAKING: Chris Ash was fired Sunday as Rutgers head coach in a shakeup that also includes the dismissal of offensive coordinator John McNulty. Nunzio Campanile will take over as interim head coach for the rest of the season. The report: https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2019/09/chris-ash-fired-as-rutgers-football-coach-nunzio-campanile-will-take-over.html …

Chris Ash fired as Rutgers football coach; Nunzio Campanile will take over

Rutgers is shaking up the coaching staff, as Chris Ash has been fired as head coach while John McNulty is out as offensive coordinator. Nunzio Campanile will take of the team going forward.

nj.com

12:37 PM - Sep 29, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

584 people are talking about this

This was quick...

Les-Miles.jpeg?zoom=2&resize=1068%2C601&

Les Miles fires offensive coordinator Les Koenning

By Zach Barnett - 
October 6, 2019

Halfway into his first year as Kansas’s head coach, Les Miles has fired his offensive coordinator.

Kansas announced Sunday Les Koenning has been relieved of duties effective immediately. Brent Dearmon will be promoted to replace Koenning.

“I would like to thank Coach Koenning for his contributions to Kansas Football,” said Miles. “This was a difficult decision, but it is in the best interest of our football program both now and in the future. There is still a lot of football left to play this season and I want to put our players in the best position to be successful, which is why I am making the change now.”

“Brent is one of the brightest individuals I have encountered in all of my years coaching. His experience as a record-setting coach and quarterback at the collegiate level will benefit our offense immediately. I believe our players will be naturally drawn to Brent’s leadership and coaching ability. I have the utmost trust in his ability to lead young men and this move puts our players in the best position to be successful moving forward.”

Dearmon joined the KU staff from Bethel University, an NAIA school in Tennessee. In one season as head coach, Dearmon led Bethel to a 10-0 mark while averaging 540.3 yards per game and 55 points per outing, the highest mark in all of college football.

Prior to Bethel, Dearmon spent three seasons as the offensive coordinator at Division II Arkansas Tech and two as an analyst on Gus Malzahn’s staff at Auburn.

“I am humbled and grateful to Coach Miles for giving me this opportunity to be the offensive coordinator at the University of Kansas,” said Dearmon. “I am excited to get to work right away with the staff and players, and invest in their future both on and off the field. There are a lot of talented young men on this team and it’s up to us as an offensive staff to have them prepared each and every week, and that will be our number one priority.”

The decision comes a day after Kansas dropped a 45-20 decision to No. 6 Oklahoma. The 2-4 Jayhawks have actually seen their offensive output jump tremendously from 2018 to 2019, going from 107th nationally in yards per play to 56th. KU’s scoring was up modestly under Koenning, improving from 106th to 101st.

As always, stay tuned to The Scoop for the latest.

• 4 weeks later...

Willie Taggart issues statement after being fired by FSU

Lucas Panzica | 1 hour ago

Florida State head coach Willie Taggart was fired on Sunday before he could finish out his second season at the helm.

With a 9-12 record and multiple embarrassing losses in both years, Florida State decided they had had enough and sent Taggart packing with a large buyout.

Taggart released a public statement on his Twitter page, shortly after the news broke.

“Obviously, I am disappointed in the decision today as I believe our future is bright at Florida State,” said Taggart. “Building a program and a culture takes time, and I regret that we will not have the opportunity to continue to coach these incredible young men”.

Taggart went on to thank his student-athletes, staff, and Florida State fans.

“On behalf of my family and I, we wish Florida State nothing but the best and will be cheering on the Seminoles the rest of the way.”

It is easy to infer from the statement that Taggart believed he deserved more time in Tallahassee, after inheriting a team that barely went to a bowl game in Jimbo Fisher’s final season. His teams did not show signs of improvement, however, consistently struggling to put away non-conference opponents and showing wild inconsistencies in ACC play.

Whoever comes in for the fired Taggart will be inheriting a mess, but it is worth wondering whether or not Florida State has their man after making a quick decision before the end of the regular season.

Lots of chirping about Jimbo leaving the program in bad shape as well. Just reporting what i've been reading not sure if that is true. But there was also a lot of talk before Jimbo left about him wanting out b/c he did not like recruiting south FL b/c of the nature of some of the players there. Doing my best PC. So I don't know what the full picture / truth is at FSU.  Gonna be impossible to get a big name coach there given the circumstances. My prediction? Lane Kiffin.

Willie returned 8 on each side of the ball. Brought in a bunch of talent both high school, JC and even had transfers from other schools. Before this season started for his career he was below .500, was 0-5 against Top 10 teams, 3-19 against top 25 teams. Also 4-17 against Power 5’s, those numbers have only gotten worse since the season started. Fla St has been known to try and save the money, they got what they paid for. Briles was brought in to help jump start the offense. They still have talent, that’s not the problem. 
Let’s see where they head with a replacement. A couple names have started to float. How fast the mighty have fallen. 
To add, Fla St’s buyout is $17 million, its the second largest for a college head coach in the history of college football. The record, Charlie Weis who was paid just south of $19 million after being fired at Notre Dame. It’s only money folks. 

Edited by LSUDad

Odell Haggins, who is in his 26th year on the Florida State sidelines, will take over as the interim head coach for the rest of the season. Haggins previously took over as interim head coach following the departure of Jimbo Fisher for Texas A&M for the last two games of the 2017 season. 

16 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Lots of chirping about Jimbo leaving the program in bad shape as well. Just reporting what i've been reading not sure if that is true. But there was also a lot of talk before Jimbo left about him wanting out b/c he did not like recruiting south FL b/c of the nature of some of the players there. Doing my best PC. So I don't know what the full picture / truth is at FSU.  Gonna be impossible to get a big name coach there given the circumstances. My prediction? Lane Kiffin.

Yep, Kiffin has "expressed interest."

• Like 1

Another view...

Kirk Herbstreit says Willie Taggart was 'set up to fail' from the outset at Florida State

Keith Farner | 2 hours ago

ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit has come to Willie Taggart’s defense for a couple of days now, even before he was fired by Florida State. In Herbstreit’s mind, it was a bad situation from the outset in Tallahassee.

In his one-plus season at FSU, Taggart had a 9-12 overall record. Taggart led FSU to a 5-7 record last season and was 4-5 in Year 2 after losing to Miami. Taggart’s overall ACC record was 6-9. His buyout is reportedly nearly $18 million.

“Anybody who knows Willie Taggart knows what a gentleman and class act he is. I think he was almost set up to fail when you look at it, because of what he inherited. He is such a likable guy,” Herbstreit said on the Herbie to Pollack podcast, according to Noles247. “… I think if you look at the end of the Jimbo Fisher that things started to go sideways — not as far as x’s and o’s but as far as kind of a ‘me, me’ individual approach to ‘hey, you know what, we’re not winning games, but I’ve still got to go and get mine. I’ve still got to be able to take care of what I need to take care of.’ I think that the program was very fractured … This was a problem from the very outset of the start to his era, and something he inherited. He tried to change it and try different things, and it just didn’t work.”

One of the issues was FSU’s 0-5 record against rivals, as the firing came one day after a loss to Miami. But Herbstreit said the eye test was another indicator.

“It got to the point where that if you watched Florida State last year and this year, they’re not just losing games. It’s how they’re playing,” he said. “You know, how undisciplined they’re playing … I just don’t think it was the right fit now that you look back at it as far as the kind of coach that Willie is, the kind of personality more importantly that he has, and what was going on at Florida State. It’s unfortunate …. (Florida State) has to clean the program up and get it back to players playing for each other and playing for that tradition and not just for themselves or just to get to the NFL. I think that’s where they’ve been the past few years.”