Gameday Tigers

Coaches Firings, New Hires, Coaching Changes

LSUDad

Boston College reportedly makes decision on head coach, former GayTurds assistant Steve Addazio

Teddy Rydquist | 6 hours ago

Securing a bowl berth, the Boston College Eagles went into Heinz Field and upset the Pittsburgh Panthers, 26-19, on Saturday.

Snapping a two-game losing skid with the victory, it appears simply making a bowl game wasn’t enough for head coach Steve Addazio to return for an eighth season.

Yahoo! Sports’ Pete Thamel was the first to break the news on Twitter:

Addazio ends his run in Chestnut Hill with a 44-44 (22-34 ACC) record. While his teams qualified for the postseason in six of his seven years at the helm, he never won more than seven games in a season and was victorious in just one of his bowl trips – a 36-30 triumph over the Maryland Terrapins in the 2016 Quick Lane Bowl at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan.

A native of Farmington, Connecticut, the 60-year-old Addazio began his coaching career as the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Western Connecticut State from 1985-87. Following seven years as the head coach at Cheshire High School (Connecticut) from 1988-94, he joined the Syracuse Orange as the tight ends/assistant offensive line coach for two seasons (1995-96).

Angry players storm out of Sunday meeting with AD Keith Carter

ByDAVID JOHNSON 98 minutes ago 

9548077.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320Matt Luke (Photo: John Bowen, 247Sports)

The Ole Piss football team looked more like an angry mob as it exited the Manning Center and a meeting with athletics director Keith Carter on Sunday night.

Carter summoned the team to address them after it was announced head coach Matt Luke had been fired. Luke was not present.

Players began storming out shortly after Carter began speaking. One estimate counted the number at approximately 40. It was unclear how many players were actually on campus to attend the meeting.

"(Expletive) Ole Piss," said junior defensive lineman Tariquious Tisdale. "That's my statement."

Sophomore defensive back Keidron Smith simply brushed by the media saying, "Y'all don't want to hear what I would say right now." Senior offensive lineman Michael Howard echoed the same sentiments. "I wouldn't do it," Howard said as a reporter approached him.

The third player out of the building, who left while Carter had just started addressing the team, was true freshman running back Jerrion Ealy, who declined to comment but was visibly upset.

Inside, according to reports from players, a scene played out in an open discussion setting. Several players described the scene as "ugly and unruly." Players told Carter, "this recruiting class is going to go to (expletive)."

Outside, players stormed through the doors leaving Carter speaking inside the team room to less than a full audience.

"It's shocking," said true freshman defensive tackle Patrick Lucas. "There was a lot of stuff going around about him getting fired, but I didn't ever believe it would happen. I don't think he should have gotten fired. It takes more than two years to build up what you inherited. That was full of crap. I came here and I bought into what he was trying to do.

"Keith Carter...whatever he was saying in there, that wasn't what I wanted to hear. I left early. I couldn't take it no more...Yeah, we went 4-8, but we as a team felt next year was going to be our year."

Lucas was asked if he would consider transferring.

"I don't know what my options are. To the fans, they really don't care about us, honestly. They really don't care about us. If we win, they care. If we lose, they hate us and bash us," Lucas continued.

True freshman quarterback John Rhys Plumlee was en route back to Oxford from his hometown when the news broke. Plumlee pulled into the parking lot of the Manning Center after most of his teammates had exited the building. He told the media that he was going inside to have a meeting with Carter and offensive graduate assistant Ryan Garrett.

"I can't give any comments right now. I don't really know yet," Plumlee said as he exited his vehicle.

"I'm just going to go in there and try to figure it out for myself...and maybe ask some questions and stuff."

Plumlee said he had no contact with the Ole Piss coaching staff on Sunday, other than Garrett.

Junior center Eli Johnson was one of the calmer voices to emerge from the Manning Center. Johnson was stopped by the media awaiting outside.

"We just kind of had an open discussion with our athletic director, Keith Carter. He just had a big conversation. That was pretty much it...just everybody voicing their opinions on things. He gave an opening statement," Johnson related.

"Everybody just loves Coach Luke and how much he gave this university and how much he cared for us. It's a hard day for Ole Piss football. I think everybody would have still liked to see Coach Luke get some more time."

Luke is expected to address the team for a final time on Monday.

"I'm going to give him a hug and just tell him thank you for everything," said Johnson. "I'm not sure what he'll say or how he'll handle it. I do think he should have got some more time."

Johnson was asked to describe the scene inside the team room.

"Everybody is kind of upset that Coach Luke is not going to be here with us anymore, and that's understandable. I'm upset. I would have liked to finish my career with Coach Luke, but that's life and life happens. I'm just going to do my best to help this team win football games next year going forward. I guess we just have to move forward from here," said Johnson.

"That's what concerns me, though. I've been an Ole Piss football fan my entire life. A guy like me...I'm going to be all in on this program moving forward just because it's Ole Piss football and regardless of who the coach is. I hate it's not going to be Coach Luke, but that's not the case with a lot of guys. A lot of guys came to school here because of Coach Luke and that don't have any ties to Ole Piss football. That's what scares me...is how are those guys going to respond?"

Senior defensive back Myles Hartsfield was angered at the delivery method Ole Piss used to inform the players of the decision to fire Luke.

"To find out on Twitter, come on son," Hartsfield said.

Senior linebacker Willie Hibbler was one of the first players to walk out the door.

"Keith Carter is still talking. The meeting is still going on, but we walked out. Basically one of your top players on offense (Jerrion Ealy) walked out. That tells you a lot. I think they made the move off wins and losses. They didn't make the move off what the players feel. We're the ones out there practicing and in meetings with him every day," said Hibbler.

"You've got a big recruiting weekend coming up this weekend. I know none of the players want to come in when they don't know who their leader is or who's going to be in charge of the meetings."

Reserve offensive lineman Peyton Cox said, "Not a single person wanted him to be fired. Everybody loved him and wanted him to continue."

Junior offensive lineman Chandler Tuitt said the players felt lost and disappointed.

"Y'all have made a decision without even telling us, first of all," Tuitt said. "We're just all lost. Half the team is talking about leaving. If you clean house again, I don't think anyone is going to stay..."

As far as the assistants on the staff, "they say they don't know," said Tuitt.

"I've been here four years and this is going to be our third coach come in. You think it's going to be bad now. If this new coach ain't about family, then you're going to lose a lot of players. That's just point blank. You better realize, there's no program without no players. You're basing this stuff off the fans, but we don't care about the fans that much. I'm going to be honest with you. We're all here for the coach. We love football. If you don't want to support us, that's just your fault.

"We were just disappointed. We didn't want to hear it (from Carter). We just didn't want to hear it."

• Like 1

A timeline of how some went down...

College coaching carousel 2019: Truth, rumors, intrigue

ByCHRIS HUMMER 6 hours ago 

The 2019 college football carousel is in full swing.

Maybe better stated: The rumor mill is churning. Late November and early December in college football is a time of agent maneuvering, public no comments and intrigue. There are plenty of names flying around for a limited number of jobs – some realistic, some not – and the fun doesn’t stop until every major FBS role is filled.

To help parse the chatter, 247Sports is diving into the rumor mill and recent news cycle. We’ll analyze job changes, smartly speculate on who could come next and try to sort the reasonable from the absurd on the rumor mill. Let's get started.

RUMOR: Arkansas Meets With Lane Kiffin (12/1: 7:30 p.m.)

Trey Biddy at 247Sports' HawgSports.com reports that Arkansas met with Florida Atlantic's Lane Kiffin on Sunday and is very much a legitimate candidate for the job, which opened in November with the firing of Chad Morris. Kiffin's got his baggage, sure, and will likely scare some Power 5 athletic directors, but might be a perfect fit for a moribund Arkansas program that needs a massive shot in the arm and all the name recognition it can get. 

NEWS: Ole Piss Fires Matt Luke (12/1: 6:40 p.m.)

The Ole Piss Rebels gave head coach Matt Luke the boot on Sunday night, multiple sources confirmed to 247Sports' David Johnson. The firing comes a bit out of left field because the word the last few weeks is that Luke would get a chance to turn things around in 2020. But it's clear the lasting impression of the Egg Bowl, in which his team's star receiver Eljiah Moore was flagged for miming a urinating dog to effectively cost the Rebels a chance to take the game to overtime, resonated. Luke at least stabilized the Rebels in the wake of Hugh Freeze's disastrous exit, and a 6-6 season in 2017 got him the full-time gig, but 5-7 and 4-8 marks in consecutive seasons have been concerning trends in the wrong direction. 

NEWS: Black Sunday has a Burnt-Orange Tint to it (12/1: 5:20 p.m.)

Tom Herman gave Texas Longhorns fans what they were begging for after a disappointing 7-5 season: Blood. Herman announced Sunday massive staff shakeups, most notably the firing of defensive coordinator Todd Orlando, a friend of Herman's who was instrumental in their success at Houston. Orlando (who's due $1.7 million) oversaw a unit that, while besieged by injuries, ranked No. 105 nationally in yards per play allowed. Herman also resassigned offensive coordinator Tim Beck — which was widely expected — and co-receivers coach Corby Meekins, while outright firing fellow co-receivers coach Drew Mehringer. 

"I take full responsibility for any and all of our shortcomings and know we need to do a better job coaching across the board," Herman said in a press release announcing the moves. 

NEWS: UTSA Fires Frank Wilson (12/1)

UTSA fired head coach Frank Wilson after four seasons in San Antonio, according to Stadium. Wilson, 46, took over the program from Larry Coker in 2016 and promptly led the program to its first ever bowl appearance at 6-7 overall. The Roadrunners went 6-5 the following year but have skidded to a combined 7-17 the last two seasons. Wilson's dealt with a lot of staff attrition as assistants like Pete Golding (Alabama) have left for more attractive jobs. Wilson finished his UTSA career at 19-29 overall. Known as an elite recruiter in Louisiana, don't be surprised if Wilson ends up back at LSU in an assistant role. Expect UTSA to hire a coach with Texas-based ties who can energize the program within the state's borders. Someone like Baylor associate head coach Joey McGuire would make a lot of sense. 

NEWS: Greg Schiano and Rutgers Reunite (12/1, 7:55 a.m.)

Greg Schiano is returning to Rutgers in an attempt to resurect a program that once thrived under his direction. NJ.com broke the news late Saturday evening and 247Sports subsequently confirmed. Talks between the Scarlet Knights and Schiano stalled nearly a week ago, but the two sides managed to come back together and hammer out a deal. Schiano inherits a program that has won a combined seven games the last three seasons under Chris Ash. Yahoo! reported that Schiano agreed to an eight-year, $32 million contract. That $4 million average annual value is a major jump from Chris Ash's $2.3 million salary from this past season, per USA today. Schiano's new compensation puts him in line with the rest of the coaches in the Big Ten; Rutgers paid Ash the lowest annual value of any coach in the league. 

The 53-year-old Schiano returns to Rutgers in large part because of a groundswell of fan support over the last week. Ironically, it's the same reason why his agreement with Tennessee fell through two years ago. Schiano architected the most successful modern season in Rutgers history, finishing 11-2 in 2006. Overall, Schiano claims three of the five and five of the 11 most successful seasons in program history during his previous 11-year run at the school. He built the Scarlet Knights from a Big East bottom feeder into a contender, and Rutgers hopes he can again do the same. It's an altogether different sort of challenge in the Big Ten, however, especially when you consider the Scarlet Knights play in the Big Ten East. An eight-year contract gives Schiano plenty of runway to attack the problem as he sees fit. This is a safe hire that drags Rutgers’ football commitment into the modern, Big Ten era. 

News: Joe Moorhead To Return (11/30: 1:51 p.m.) 

Joe Moorhead will return for a third season as Mississippi State head coach, according to 247Sports network site Gene's Page. Moorhead's job status came into question late during the 2019 season, but an Egg Bowl win was enough to keep Moorhead in Starkville. Moorhead made a fiery statement following the Bulldogs' win over Ole Piss: "This is my team, my school, my program. You’ll have to drag my Yankee ass out of here.” Moorhead's name had been linked with Rutgers since that job came open. 

News: Missouri Fires Barry Odom (11/30: 9:58 a.m.)

Missouri fired Barry Odom on Saturday morning after four seasons as head coach, a source confirmed to 247Sports. Odom finished his Tiger career at 25-25 overall. Missouri came into the 2019 season with Top 25 expectations and started the season 5-1 overall, but a five-game losing streak sullied any momentum Odom created early in the year. The 43-year-old Tiger alumnus took over the program from Gary Pinkel in 2016, two seasons removed from the Tigers appearing in back-to-back SEC title games. Odom took over the program amid swirling controversey on Missouri's campus. The Tigers slowly built from four wins to seven to eight, but they weren't able to build on that momentum in 2019. 

Something to keep in mind with this job: The next coaching staff will not be able to appear in a bowl until 2021. That postseason ban in addition to scholarship reductions give this already tough job – Missouri is own its own geographically in the SEC – some major question marks.

News: Barry Odom Unsure Of Missouri Future (11/29 8:11 p.m.)

Missouri head coach Barry Odom said Friday he has "no idea" if he'll be back as the Tigers head coach in 2020. Missouri snapped a five-game losing streak Friday afternoon with a 24-14 win over Arkansas. Odom's future has come into question the last few weeks after the Tigers spiraled following a 5-1 start. Missouri finished the season 6-6 but won't go to a bowl after the NCAA upheld the program's two-year postseason ban

Odom is 25-25 in his four-year stead as Missouri's head coach. The 43-year-old Tiger alumnus took over the program from Gary Pinkel in 2016, two seasons removed from the Tigers appearing in back-to-back SEC title games. Missouri entered the season with Top 25-like expectations and the hopes of potentially winning the SEC East. 

Something to keep in mind with this job: If Missouri did decide to part ways with Odom, the next coaching staff would not be able to appear in a bowl until 2021. That postseason ban in addition to scholarship reductions give this already tough job – Missouri is own its own geographically in the SEC – some major question marks.

News: Joe Moorhead Spits Fire About His Job Status (11/29 7:00 a.m.)

The Egg Bowl was simply insane Saturday evening. Ole Piss literally pissed the game away. As it was, the Bulldogs survived for a one-point win and qualified for bowl eligibility at 6-6. Postgame, Mississippi State head coach Joe Moorhead came out firing: “This is my school. This is my team. This is my program. If you want to ask, I’m not interested in anybody’s validation but the people in that locker room. Every single one of them if you ask who’s the right man for this job, they’ll tell you it’s me. I promise you that. … I’m here. This is my team, my school, my program. You’ll have to drag my Yankee ass out of here.”

There were questions about Moorhead’s job status entering the week. Moorhead for weeks had also been linked to the open Rutgers job. Moorhead is 14-11 overall and 2-0 against Ole Piss as Mississippi State’s head coach. Don’t forget, the Bulldogs’ season has been weighed down by a number of suspensions stemming from NCAA penalties.

Rumor: Seminoles Vet Lane Kiffin (11/27: 3:49 p.m.)

FootballScoop.com reported on Wednesday that Florida Atlantic head coach Lane Kiffin had been "vetted" by Florida State as it seeks to meet its self-assigned end-of-November deadline to hire Taggart's successor. Taggart was fired on Nov. 4 after just 21 games with the program, posting a 9-12 overall record while in Tallahassee.

Wednesday isn't the first time that Kiffin's name has been brought up amid the Seminoles' search for a new head coach. CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd reported earlier in the month that Kiffin expressed interest in the vacancy. Kiffin is 24-13 at Florida Atlantic since he took the job in time for the 2017 season. Prior to a stint under Nick Saban at Alabama, Kiffin worked as a head coach with both Tennessee and USC.

Rumor: Greg Schiano, Rutgers Reunion Isn’t Dead Yet (11/27: 1:25 p.m.) 

It wouldn’t be Rutgers without some twists and turns. The once-dead Schiano-to-Rutgers reunion isn’t quite dead yet. NJ.com reported Wednesday there’s “growing hope” Schiano’s negotiation with the Scarlet Knights can be salvaged. Talks between the two sides broke down after Schiano proposed an eight-year, $32 million contract. The way the deal fell apart – after weeks of negotiation – led several prominent alumni to outwardly criticize the school. Will this deal come back together? It’s unclear. But it’s worth noting Schiano is the only coach in recent Rutgers history to find any notable level of success. If Rutgers wants to avoid a future as the Big Ten’s punching bag, it makes sense to do everything it can to bring back the man who won in New Brunswick previously.

Rumor: USC Leaning Toward Keeping Clay Helton (11/27: 11 a.m.) 

Three-hundred-and-sixty-seven days ago USC announced Clay Helton would remain as the program’s head coach. In the time since the Trojans have hired a new school president (Carol Folt) and athletic director (Mike Bohn). You know who is still employed in Los Angeles? Helton. Despite rumors swirling for the entirety of 2019, Helton finished the season 8-4 and seems to have a legitimate chance to keep his job. The Athletic reported Wednesday that USC is “leaning toward bringing Helton back.”That report matches much of the chatter this week surrounding Helton’s employment. There are numerous factors at play here. Two seem to matter the most: 1. Urban Meyer’s interest and availability. 2. The stability the USC administration seems to believe Helton brings.

The first factor is rather obvious. Meyer is a slam dunk, grand slam, beautiful-goal hire if the Trojans can pull it off. But there are no guarantees. Meyer’s been a USC target for months now behind the scenes. And while things might still come together, it’s far from a lock that Meyer ends up in Los Angeles. If you can’t hire Meyer – the only sure-fire answer in this year’s coaching carrousel – why not just keep Helton? At least that seems to be the thinking by the USC administration. Helton, who is widely known as a good guy who does things the right way, does bring an element of stability to a program that’s been bathed in scandal.

Is it smart to keep Helton? Eh … USC’s developmental rate is abysmal considering its talent. The Trojans aren’t recruiting well – partly because recruits can see the guillotine hanging above his head – and there have been some baffling in-game mistakes that point toward poor coaching. Yet … Helton finished the 2019 season strong and there’s a belief with some revamped staff hires on defense that things could turn around.

Either way, we wait. USC is still technically alive in the Pac-12, needing a Utah loss to Colorado on Saturday to reach the Pac-12 championship game. It would be surprising to see a decision arrive on Helton’s future until then.

News: Bob Davie To Depart New Mexico (11/25: 7 p.m.)

New Mexico announced Monday head coach Bob Davie and the school have mutually decided to part ways following Saturday’s home game with Utah State. The Lobos are 2-9 this season and 0-7 in the Mountain West. Davie has led the Lobos since 2012. He reached his only two bowl games in back-to-back seasons between 2015-16.

"After meeting with Coach Davie this morning, we both agree that the time has come for a new direction for our football program," athletic director Eddie Nuñez said in a statement. "I'm appreciative of the work that coach Davie has done at UNM."

New Mexico hasn’t had consistent success since Rocky Long led the program from 1998-07. The Lobos have also been rocked by scandal the last few years. Nunez was hired after the previous AD, Paul Kerbs, stepped down amid a controversy about his spending of public money. This is also a tough job based on location. Watch out for Arizona State defensive coordinator Danny Gonzaleshere. Gonzales is a former Lobo player and coach.

News: UNLV Fires Tony Sanchez (11/25: 4 p.m.) 

UNLV announced Monday it would part ways with Sanchez following the team’s game with rival Nevada this Saturday. Sanchez is 19-40 in his UNLV career, and the Rebels sit at 3-8 this season. UNLV hired Sanchez from the high school ranks, where he led in-state powerhouse Bishop Gorman to an 85-5 record in his six-year tenure.

Sanchez helped kickstart fundraising on the UNLV campus, playing a big role in securing donations for a $34 million football complex that opened this fall.

19COMMENTS

“We appreciate everything that Tony has done for our university and football program,” athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois said in a statement.

UNLV is a potentially attractive job in the Mountain West, though Sanchez’s salary ($600,000) lagged well behind other Mountain West schools like Fresno State ($1.6 million), according to USA Today. Las Vegas is an attractive city in recruiting, and the Rebels can tap into a natural talent pipeline being less than a five-hour drive from Los Angeles and Phoenix.

6 hours ago, dachsie said:

Think we would get Wilson back?

We could lose one, or bring him in as an analyst till an opening appears. O and he has a good working relationship. Still a few games for us  to go. After that, let the smoke clear. Too much is going on right now. 

Right now, much like recruiting, coaches would love to be hired by LSU. We pay well, O doesn’t micromanage. You have a great AD, known well. Too many things pointing up. Remember this, when Meatball got injured, it didn’t take long for Bill Johnson to take over on the DL. OL and DL’s are both looking better. 

11 hours ago, dachsie said:

Think we would get Wilson back?

I know it sounds like it would not make sense, but I would not be surprised to see Wilson go back to the High School level and coach St. Augustine High School in New Orleans. (At least for a few years.)

This is his alma mater and you might remember the ties he had with Leonard Fournette...Wilson was like a father figure to Fournette and was instrumental in getting him to LSU.

St. Aug fired their head coach earlier in the year when some locker rooms videos went viral showing players performing a chant that featured the "n-word". This was a huge embarrassment for the school, which has a storied history in New Orleans.

Wilson getting hired at St. Aug would be a huge, positive PR win for the school and would erase the scandal in the minds of just about everyone.

• Like 1

Yes Matt Luke is getting the shaft.  His loyalty to Ole goldenshower as a former player is what got him the job and made him willing to take it given the horrible circumstances after the preacher man was sent his way. Of course, his loyalty is rewarded with him being fired without giving him a chance to finish what he started.

freeze_here_ya_go__2_.gif&f=1&nofb=1

EDIT: So does Ole Piss turn over the keys to RichRod?

Edited by Hatchertiger

Kevin Mawae:

Arizona State football will not retain offensive coordinator Rob Likens

ap_446a971b67504a769ca350c07d39816d-1024

Arizona State's Jayden Daniels (5) runs between the Arizona defense during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Darryl Webb)

Following the Arizona State Sun Devils’ Territorial Cup win, they’re making changes to the coaching staff.

Arizona State head coach Herm Edwards told writers on a conference call Sunday morning that offensive coordinator Rob Likens would not be part of the staff moving forward.

According to The Athletic’s Doug Haller, wide receivers coach Charlie Fisher and tight ends coach Donnie Yantis will also not be brought back.

The team is expected to utilize running backs coach Shaun Aguano and offensive line coach Dave Christensen as co-offensive coordinators in ASU’s bowl game. Christensen and Aguano will still continue to coach their respective groups.

According to Sun Devil Source, Edwards told writers, “You’ve got to score points. We were in the mid 20s. You’ve got to be in the 30s. That’s college football.” 

Additionally, Derek Hagan will work with wide receivers, and Kevin Mawae will work with tight ends.

Washington announces head coach Chris Petersen has stepped down from his position

Michael Wayne Bratton | 3 hours ago

One of the best coaches in the nation has just stepped down from his post.

Chris Petersen will no longer the coach at Washington following the program’s upcoming bowl game, the school announced on Monday. Following this news, Washington has named defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake the new Washington head coach.

00:08

Petersen is expected to stay at Washington in a leadership advisory role.

Washington released the following statement from Petersen announcing the news:

“It has been a privilege and a professional dream fulfilled to be part of this world-class institution. I will forever be grateful, honored and humbled to have had the opportunity to coach our fine young men on Montlake for these past six seasons. I thank each of them, as well as our coaches and administrative staff for the incredible commitment they’ve made to Husky football during my tenure. The football program and Husky Athletics across the board will continue to prosper – and do it the right way – with Jen Cohen’s leadership and the University administration’s commitment to excellence. I’ll be a Husky for life, but now is the right time for me to step away from my head coaching duties, and recharge.”

Petersen finishes with a career head coaching record of 146-38. He spent eight years leading Boise State to national recognition before taking over the job at Washington. His career winning percentage of .793 ranks second among active coaches with at least five years of FBS experience.

Washington finished 7-5 this season. Back in 2016, Petersen led the Huskies to the College Football Playoff, where they lost 24-7 to Alabama. He also won two Pac-12 Championships during his time at Washington.

Like I said...

LSU is preparing to pay Joe Brady NFL-type money

By Doug Samuels - 
 November 10, 2019

Joe-Brady-LSU.jpeg?zoom=2&resize=355%2C2

The new-look LSU offense that wide receivers coach / passing game coordinator Joe Brady has been credited with bringing in was on full display last night as the Tigers dismantled Alabama for the college football world to witness.

We’ve been hearing for a few weeks now that LSU brass and Brady have been working on a new deal to keep him in Baton Rouge.

A report from Yahoo! Sports shares that LSU’s talks with Brady about that raise and a contract extension date back to LSU’s bye week back in late November following their 66-point night against Vanderbilt.

The report adds that “LSU is prepared to pay Brady NFL coordinator market value,” in the neighborhood of $1.5 million and could have a deal done by the end of the season for first-year LSU assistant who spent the past two seasons as an offensive assistant with the Saints. Brady currently makes $400,000 annually.

Brady’s ability to come in and play a major role in not only transforming the offense in Baton Rouge, but to also do it in a way that utilizes the playmakers on the roster so well is going to make him one of the hottest names on the coaching market. Quarterback Joe Burrow is a legit Heisman Trophy favorite after his performance on the big stage against perhaps one of the best defensive minds college football has ever known, and that’s because of the influence Brady has had in their offensive transformation.

Sponsored By Connatix

Considering the body of work already, LSU is smart to try and lock him in. No one in college football will be happier to have that happen than Ed Orgeron.

Prior to the season, our own Zach Barnett put Brady’s hire as the #4 most important assistant coaching hire for the 2019 season.

3 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Willie Taggert never signed an official contract. 

he was there almost TWO YEARS

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/seminoles/2019/11/25/willie-taggart-never-signed-a-final-contract-heres-why-it-could-matter/

Wow.  That is pretty unbelievable.

If the university ever cut him a check, could one argue that the university agreed to the contract?

8 minutes ago, Herb said:

Wow.  That is pretty unbelievable.

If the university ever cut him a check, could one argue that the university agreed to the contract?

the “binding document” is enough for his paychecks. 

but now this is so open ended with gray area that it’s gonna be a legal mess 

• Like 1

From Short Horn Nation: 

large_Burnt_Orange_Nation_Full.85368.png

Joe Brady’s future won’t be about the money

If Texas pursues the LSU passing game coordinator, it can pay him whatever he wants. So can the Tigers.

1188492578.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images

Sometimes, decisions aren’t all about the Benjamins.

As the LSU Tigers prepare to pay big money to keep first-year passing game coordinator Joe Brady and the Texas Longhorns looking for a new offensive coordinator, Brady has emerged as one of the top two candidates for the position, along with USC Trojansoffensive coordinator Graham Harrell.

Currently making $400,000 per year to serve an assistant to Tigers offensive coordinator Steve Emsminger, Brady is in line for a significant raise that has been in the works for several weeks. It’s likely that the contract offer from LSU to Brady will significantly surpass $1.5 million per season, perhaps even reaching $2 million, according to FootballScoop.com.

So while the discussion from the Texas perspective has been about the possibility of athletics director Chris Del Conte and head coach Tom Herman money-whipping Brady to accept the position in Austin, in reality money will almost certainly not be the deciding factor for Brady.

Right now, reports indicate that both schools have the wherewithal to make Brady one of the highest-paid assistants in college football.

Let’s see, do I stay where I’m at, fixing to play for a National Championship. Or go to a place where, most of the staff was just let go, being the fall guys for a failing program and kissing coach. Tough one. 

All too often, it’s not about the money with coaches. A little later, I’ll expand on that one. 

• Like 2

NO WORRIES: LSU Coach Joe Brady Will Make His Name In Baton Rouge

DECEMBER 3, 2019

There’s a funny thing about the name of LSU passing coordinator Joe Brady. You see his first name, which is the same as his soon-to-be Heisman winning quarterback, and his last, which is the surname of perhaps the greatest NFL quarterback of all time, and you have quite the little word craft going on.

Burrow could very well end up being a Tom Brady-type NFL quarterback, and he largely has Joe Brady to thank for that. Brady has also been uniquely responsible in leading an LSU offense that has shattered records this season, and in placing the program on the cusp of its fourth national championship.

On Monday, Brady was named one of five finalists for the Broyles Award, which is presented to the nation’s top college assistant coach.

With such greatness abound, in both pedigree and name, it is no surprise that programs across the country will be interested in luring Brady away from LSU. The most notable suitor is the Texas Longhorns, who appear to be ready to drop a dump-load truck of dollars at the young offensive guru.

Of course Texas just did that two years ago when it hired Tom Herman, who was once an up-and-coming offensive guru himself, and who had been reported by ESPN to be headed to Baton Rouge to succeed Les Miles (and Ed Orgeron, who was then serving an interim role) as the next LSU head coach. His annual salaryat $5.2 million, Herman, who was offensive coordinator and national champion at Ohio State before putting Houston on the national stage as head coach, is now feeling the heat of the Austin fanbase. A 7-5 season after a Sugar Bowl victory last season has forced Herman to fire both coordinators.

It appears Brady is in Herman’s sights to save his hide. Perhaps Herman should just take over the offensive play calling duties, because there’s no way Joe Brady is leaving LSU for such an unstable position, where the natives could run yet another “savior” coach in Tom Herman out of town after next year. At 7-5 in the Big 12, Texas simply cannot compare to an LSU program primed for a national championship this season and stockpiled with offensive talent for next.

Head coach Ed Orgeron said LSU has “a plan in place” and that they are “a step ahead in keeping Brady in Baton Rouge.

Brady is in the first season of a three-year contract that pays him $410,000 in year one, $435,000 next year, and $460,000 in the third year. LSU is expected to increase those numbers up to the level of an NFL coordinator–around $1.5 million.

And if takes more than that, expect Orgeron and LSU to do it. This offense has become a once-in-a-generation attack and no one in Baton Rouge wants this to be a one-and-done scenario.

The Tigers rank No. 2 nationally in total offense and scoring. Players have been shattering records all over the field. Burrow’s legendary season has been duly noted. He broke the SEC record for passing yards in a season this past Saturday, and is tied for the conference record for touchdowns in a season with 47.

Wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase, a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, is maybe the most underrated player in America. If he played for Ohio State or Alabama they’d be calling him the greatest college football player of all time. As it is, he will have to settle, unfairly, for not being invited to New York with his teammate Burrow for the Heisman ceremony. Despite being overlooked, Chase looks NFL ready right now, holding the school record for touchdowns (17) and leading the SEC in receiving yards (1,457).

All of this firepower has been under the trigger of Joe Brady, and of course Steve Ensminger, the official offensive coordinator of LSU. Ensminger’s humility in itself should be the topic of a feature story. He outranks Brady, but it is the young 29-year-old that everyone talks about as the general who brought LSU’s offense not only into the 21st century, but into the record books as well.

Look for Ensminger to take on a different role in one or two years, allowing for the Tigers to keep the young Brady just a little longer before some big time program comes in and scoops him up to be their next head coach. As strong as the relationship is between Ensminger and Brady, and given Ensminger’s humility (he seriously considered not agreeing to take the offensive coordinator position two years ago because of his family), expect him to redirect the tail-end of his career to allow Joe the chance to hold a more official title, and allow LSU to squeeze as much as they can out of him before he carries his craft–that is more than just words–to some very fortunate football program.

Ed Orgeron: LSU AD Scott Woodward had a plan 2 months ago to keep Joe Brady

BR.lsuarkansasmain.112419 HS 524.JPG

LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady walks up to LSU wide receiver JaÕMarr Chase (1) and LSU wide receiver Justin Jefferson (2) on the field before kickoff between LSU and Arkansas, Saturday, November 23, 2019 at LSU's Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

LSU coach Ed Orgeron smiled confidently when he told reporters Monday "We're a step ahead" of other schools in pursuit of first-year passing game coordinator Joe Brady.

On Tuesday morning, Orgeron shared insight into why he was confident: LSU athletic director Scott Woodward was prepared to battle for Brady.

"I got to give credit to our athletic director," Orgeron said in an interview on 104.5 ESPN's "Off the Bench." "Scott Woodward came up with a plan two months ago. He had the vision to see what was gonna go on, so we had to put a plan together and that plan is being put in place right now, and I feel good about it."

Two months ago, LSU was 4-0 with an offense that was already breaking records. Joe Burrow had just broken the school's single-game record for most passing touchdowns, tossing six in LSU's  66-38 win over Vanderbilt, and the offense had flexed its strength in a 45-38 win over then-No. 9 Texas on Sept. 7.

The offensive success vaulted Brady into the spotlight, and the 30-year-old coach who was in his first major college football job started to become an attractive asset.

Today, LSU ranks second nationally, scoring 48.7 points per game — more than two touchdowns more than what the Tigers averaged in 2018 (32.4).

LSU ranks second nationally in total offense (560.4 yards per game) and second in yards per play (7.9), and Burrow is a front-runner to win the program's first Heisman Trophy since Billy Cannon in 1959.

Brady was named one of five finalists for the Broyles Award for nation's top assistant coach on Monday.

No. 2 LSU (12-0, 8-0 SEC) will play No. 4 Georgia (11-1, 7-1) in the SEC Championship Game on Saturday in Atlanta.

Orgeron did not detail exactly what Woodward's plan is to keep Brady, but he said that "we have a plan in place. I think we're in good shape Brady signed a three-year contract Feb. 3 with LSU. The deal pays him $410,000 per year in his first year, $435,000 in his second and $460,000 in his final season until the contract expires March 31, 2022.

Any new contract would need approval from the LSU Board of Supervisors, which next meets Dec. 6.

Brady is the seventh-highest-paid assistant on Orgeron's staff, which includes 10 coaches. Brady's current annual salary ranks outside the top 200 assistants nationally, according to USA Today's collected data of 2018 salaries.

Aranda's $2.5 million per year ranks first nationally among assistant coaches, and in May, Ensminger signed a two-year, $800,000-per-year contract with LSU that expires March 31, 2021.

When you hire two Head coaches at the Same time, for one job...

Chuck King of FAUowlaccess has the story of when Lane Kiffin was hired at FAU after the 2016 season.

The short version is:

FAU administration all wanted to hire Lane Kiffin

FAU AD Pat Chung couldn’t reach a deal with Lane

Chun then moved on and hired another (very successful) coach

However, without Chun’s knowledge, the movers and shakers at FAU had gone back to Lane and got the deal done

Chun made the case for the man he had already reached an agreement with; but to no avail

University President told Chun to back out of his deal, put on a big smile and introduce Lane Kiffin as “Our next head coach”

Chun subsequently left to become AD at Washington State

Kiffin has turned out to be an excellent hire

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ole Piss finalizing deal with Lane Kiffin, sources say

play

The Lane Train is moving on (1:07)

11:02 PM ET
  • Mark Schlabach, Adam Rittenberg and Chris Low 

Lane Kiffin is zeroing in on a return to the SEC.

Sources told ESPN that Ole Piss is finalizing a deal with Kiffin, currently in his third year at Florida Atlantic, to be the Rebels' next head coach. They hope to announce Kiffin as early as Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The former Tennessee head coach and Alabama offensive coordinator has the Owls in their second Conference USA championship game on Saturday. They won the league title in 2017 in Kiffin's first season in Boca Raton. The Ole Piss job would be the fifth different head coaching job for Kiffin, who just turned 44 earlier this year.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Arkansas also had discussions in the last week with Kiffin about its head coaching job.

It's been a wild ride for Kiffin, who's renowned for trolling anybody and everybody on Twitter, including fans and former bosses, and for putting together high-powered and entertaining offenses on the football field.

"I'm never going to apologize for having fun. Who says you can't have fun and still win football games?" Kiffin told ESPN earlier this year. "But I've learned along the way and am not the same person I was when I was younger. None of us are. I've been so fortunate to learn under two guys like Pete Carroll and Nick Saban, both of whom are great coaches, but have different styles. I think I've been able to combine those styles."

Kiffin's first head coaching job came in 2007 with the NFL's Oakland Raiders when he was a 31-year-old assistant at USC. Owner Al Davis fired Kiffin four games into his second season, and Kiffin was scooped up to be Tennessee's head coach in 2009. He went 7-6 during his only season with the Vols, one that saw plenty of fireworks both on and off the field. After 13 months in Knoxville, Kiffin left for what he called his "dream job" at USC when Carroll went to the NFL.

With the Trojans facing heavy NCAA sanctions, Kiffin went 28-15 at USC and was fired five games into his fourth season following a loss to Arizona State.

Keep an eye on this one, I think I know who his replacement is...

Mike Norvell, who in four seasons has taken Memphis' football program to unprecedented heights, is the leading candidate to become the next head coach at Florida State, sources told ESPN.

An official announcement could come Sunday.

Norvell has guided Memphis (11-1) to its third straight appearance in the American Athletic Conference championship game. The Tigers take on Cincinnati on Saturday.

The transformation of Memphis' program under Norvell has been stunning. The Tigers have won eight or more games for six straight seasons, and Norvell has been at the helm for the past four. For perspective, from 1974-2013, the Tigers had just two seasons of eight or more wins.

A couple of quick thoughts on recent moves...

Greg Schiano is a loser and his previous success as a head coach was at a single place: Rutgers. If you dig deeper into the record, you'll see his only success was due to having Ray Rice on his team.  Outside of the Ray Rice years, Schiano's record is pedestrian at best at Rutgers and how he was able to parlay that into much bigger paychecks shows how little some teams actually research their hires.

Schiano is also the guy that told his players to try to hit and hurt QBs that kneel in 'Victory Formation'.  He's a real winner of a guy.

The other thought I have surrounds Kiffen.

Kiffen to Ole Piss is intersting.  We'll get to see if he will resurrect his recruiting shenanigans he did at Tennessee and if that might affect his friendship with Orgeron.

The other thing about Kiffen is that at both Tennesse and USC those programs have never bounced back from their respective Kiffen tenures...will that tendancy continue when he's let go 5 years from now?

• Like 1