Gameday Tigers

Coach O Outsmarted College Football

LSUDad

I watched it this morning.  I know Coach O has been a polarizing figure across CFB, but facts are facts.  Everywhere he has been involved with a program success has followed (Ole Piss excepted), and what I have read from people involved in those programs show that he had a hand in that success, whatever level he occupied in the program.  Clearly he relates well to "modern" college  kids and will be a key factor in bringing the talent in.  Like the video states, he isn't married to "his" system or anything like that, he has the ability and willingness to change as is necessary to keep up with what the game is doing.  I believe in this day and age that is huge.  Everyone looks to the innovators, they guys that invent new systems, schemes, etc. but they are few and far between, especially at the head coach level.  Usually these guys are at the sub coordinator positions because there they can focus solely on the particular piece of the game they have a genius for.  They may eventually rise to HC status but the game is too complex today for one guy to be master of all aspects.  The CEO model (pun intended?) is how success happens these days.  You don't know everything, you know the guys who know best about their pieces and you bring them together and try to supply them with the talent that fits their vision.  I believe we have that in Coach O.

As far as Ole Piss goes, name one successful entrepreneur that didn't fail the first time they got put in charge.  It is a rare person who never experiences failure at some point in their work career, what's important is learning the lessons and applying that new knowledge.  Thank God my 30 year work life is not characterized by one short period 15 years ago.

I enjoyed listening to that.

I think it is a pretty fair assessment and the overall takeaway for me was that media stereotyping is almost always wrong. When Coach O was hired, my hope was - and remains - that he is LSU's coach for another 10 years because that means the program has remained successful.

Archived