Gameday Tigers

2020 LSU Football Commitments

Herb

I see Jaden Navarrette switched his commitment from LSU to Oregon.  After visiting Oregon, he said LSU linebackers stay in the box to play the run more, while in the PAC 12 there are more spread offenses and he will have to cover more.  He thinks getting the cover skills in college will set him up for the NFL better.  I don't know, LSU has put a lot of LB into the league the last 10 years.

• Like 1

BREAKING: Jermaine Burton commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
April 20, 2019
Tweet

One of the nation's absolute top wide receivers, Jermaine Burton‍ of Calabasas, California announced Saturday afternoon that he is committed to LSU. 

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound consensus high four-star receiver chose LSU over offers from Alabama, Miami, UCLA, Tennessee and Georgia.  He had offers from many others.

After his visit to LSU for the weekend of the Tigers spring game, Burton told TigerBait.com, “The highlight had to be the stadium atmosphere and only half of it was filled up, it was amazing,.”

With Burton’s commitment LSU now has 12 commitments for the class of 2020.  

• Like 2

BREAKING: Five-star WR Rakim Jarrett commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
April 27, 2019

The LSU football program is absolutely loading up for the class of 2020.  On Saturday, five star wide receiver Rakim Jarrett‍ announced his verbal commitment to LSU. 

The 6-foot, 190-pound Jarrett from St. John's College High School in Washington D.C. commited to LSU over Ohio State, Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Piss, Georgia and many others.  He’s considered one of the nation’s top two or three wide receivers.  

The 2020 LSU recruiting class now has 13 commitments.  Jarrett gives the Tigers three wide receivers. He joins Kayshon Boutte‍ and Jermaine Burton‍ as Tiger commitments.  Each of the three are considered the very elite in their state or region as well as national 100 prospects.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LSUDad said:

BREAKING: Five-star WR Rakim Jarrett commits to LSU

The LSU football program is absolutely loading up for the class of 2020.  On Saturday, five star wide receiver Rakim Jarrett‍ announced his verbal commitment to LSU. 

The 6-foot, 190-pound Jarrett from St. John's College High School in Washington D.C. commited to LSU over Ohio State, Tennessee, Alabama, Ole goldenshower, Georgia and many others.  He’s considered one of the nation’s top two or three wide receivers.  

The 2020 LSU recruiting class now has 13 commitments.  Jarrett gives the Tigers three wide receivers. He joins Kayshon Boutte‍ and Jermaine Burton‍ as Tiger commitments.  Each of the three are considered the very elite in their state or region as well as national 100 prospects.

That's damn strong!!!  Yahoooooo!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Add the new 5*

O is killing it right now. Wish it was December

We need some big beefs, both offense and defense.  Would hope that the DL - J. Roy comes back and re-commits to LSU; I read it is likely.  But as you say, O is killing it right now on skill players.

Four-star linebacker Antoine Sampah joins LSU football's loaded 2020 recruiting class

Antoine Sampah

Photo taken from Antoine Sampah's Twitter.

The 2020 LSU football recruiting class keeps getting better. 

Four-star inside linebacker Antoine Sampah is the latest commitment in Coach Ed Orgeron's elite 2020 class.

The Woodbridge, Virginia native is ranked as the nation's No. 32 player by 247Sports.com. Sampah is also ranked the No. 2 inside linebacker for the 2020 class.

Sampah chose LSU over Alabama, Clemson, Cincinnati and East Carolina, among others.

He joins a talented Tigers class that 247Sports ranks best in the nation that includes five-star defensive back Elias Ricks, five-star receiver Rakim Jarrett, Louisiana's Kayshon Boutte and Demon Clowney, brother of Houston Texans star Jadeveon Clowney.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LSUDad said:
Sampah chose LSU over Alabama, Clemson, Cincinnati and East Carolina, among others.

That's IMPRESSIVE!!!  Winning a recruiting battle against #1 and #2 from last year.  Has someone started putting cocaine in the drinking water in BR? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by houtiger
  • Like 1

Fish is right on both counts: Eaux is killing it in recruiting right now and if this were December there would be a greater likliehood that these recruits will stay committed to the Tigers.

This is the recruiter we saw from a distance and saw sporadic flashes of here and there over the last few years (both as an assistant and head coach). 

Hopefully the shoe companies and street agents stay well in the shadows!   :sarcasm:

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LSU commit and Ponchatoula QB T.J. Finley is turning heads with his height and arm

LSU commit and Ponchatoula QB T.J. Finley is turning heads with his height and arm
By Garland Gillen | May 10, 2019 at 9:16 PM CDT - Updated May 10 at 10:02 PM 

PONCHATOULA (WVUE) - At first glance, T.J. Finley’s frame leaves you absolutely stunned. He’s 6′7″, 230 pounds - oh yeah, and he’s only 17 years old.

Add in that T.J. possesses a cannon for an arm. Well now you’re witnessing a transcendent talent.

A quarterback that is ingratiating himself with LSU fans after committing to the Tigers last year.

“Had all my family there. Had all my friends there. Actually before I committed, I just started busting out crying. I fell into my brother’s arms and just started crying. Because I realized how big of a decision this was,” said Ponchatoula quarterback T.J. Finley.

“He could’ve went anywhere. He was like, ‘home is where my heart is,' and I just wept,” said T.J.’s mother, Dr. Shannon Bagnet-Finley.

Finley’s sublime passing is galvanizing the Purple and Gold faithful and his legendary coach, Hank Tierney.

“He can make every throw. He’s mentally great. He understands the game completely. Very, very hard worker. Doesn’t take plays off. So it’s been interesting. Fun and interesting,” said Tierney.

Finley’s rare abilities shined in dramatic fashion in a performance of a lifetime. Against Denham Springs last season, the Ponchatoula QB threw for seven TDs and ran for two more, racking up an eye-popping 600-plus yards by air in a 64-63 victory.

"It was crazy. Each touchdown of our first three series was 60 yards or more. It was insane. We would score and they would score. Amazing thing, if they didn't have a bad snap they would've won the game. We scored and went for two, and threw it to T.J., two-point play to take the lead," said Tierney.

Turning heads is nothing new for Finley. His larger-than-life stature as a child made T.J.'s mother go to extreme lengths to prove eligibility, even when playing with older kids.

“He was playing travel football. We were on the outskirts of Baton Rouge, Reserve. I had to get a birth certificate card to carry around with me to show the parents he is the actual age he’s supposed to be. That’s when he was playing up,” said Bagnet-Finley.

T.J.'s height alone is a head-turner, but you add in his connection to the LSU program - well, that can get you rock star status.

“When we’re in airports in Vegas, Cali, Atlanta, Houston, Kansas, Dallas. T.J, it’s amazing, they know who he is. I’m like, he’s not even there yet. They taking pictures in the airport. People on the phone with their wives, ‘Is it really him? I wish I was there. Can you get him to take a picture with our son or something?'” said T.J.’s father, David Finley.

“It’s amazing because, me and my brother Kody can go down to the snowball stand and sit down and get snowballs. Fifty other cars pull up and they want to talk football. They want to congratulate me about committing to LSU. Being at home, and committing to a home school, it’s just a plus,” said Finley.

Finley committed to LSU a little less than a year ago. Early national signing day is in December, so the other big-time programs haven’t stopped their pursuit of T.J.

"They're still coming very, very hard. Alabama, Clemson, stay in contact. Oregon called me the other day to be on a visit. Kansas, Les Miles and I had a bond early in the eighth grade. He's a very good recruiter. It's amazing how many schools see the potential in me. See me as a three-year guy, straight to the league. They're just calling non-stop. I don't know what to say. They're going to keep calling until the pen hits the paper," said T.J.

"He's been to LSU a bunch. We've been up there this spring a bunch. He likes Coach (Steve) Ensminger, Joe Brady, the guy they just got from the Saints. They committed to throwing the ball, and in addition to running the ball like they've always done. The offense is conducive to what he can do. I think he's firmly committed to them, and he's given me no indication that he's not," said Tierney.

For now, Finley’s focused on delivering a playoff berth for Ponchatoula this fall and getting a diploma. His parents, well, they’re hoping for T.J.'s height to plate

“Guys can grow until they’re 21. I’ve seen guys hit another growth spurt in college. For quarterback sake, yeah 6′7” is enough. I hadn’t seen any 6′9″ quarterbacks. I think the highest is 6′8″. That’s strange a parent is saying that. They hope their kid is finished growing. Everybody else is like, ‘c’mon keep on growing some more!’ That’s enough, yeah," said David Finley.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/Marlon-Martinez-LSU-football-recruiting-commitment-story-highlights-132306045/

Florida offensive lineman Marlon Martinez commits to LSU

ByBILLY EMBODY 85 minutes ago

2020 Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas offensive lineman Marlon Martinez announced his commitment to LSU and broke it down with 247Sports recruiting analyst John Garcia, Jr. The 6-5, 287-pound lineman committed to the Tigers over Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, Penn State, Vanderbilt and others.

"LSU is a good school that really reminds me of St. Thomas in the way that they have a real good tradition. They win. That's what they do," Martinez told Garcia. "They've shown me a lot of love throughout my whole recruiting process starting from my sophomore year. For me, I really appreciate that about LSU."

LSU sees Martinez as a piece that can play tackle, but also potentially slide inside at the next level. Offensive line coach James Cregg developed a strong bond with the Florida prospect and he sees someone special.

"Coach Cregg as soon as he saw me, he told me that he saw something special in me," Martinez explained. "To this day, he's still hitting me up very frequently. They see my versatility as a weapon. They see everything that I can do and they think I can add that to LSU's line."

On his official visit to Baton Rouge back on April 26, Martinez said that he could tell the environment would be a great fit for him and Tiger Stadium really stood out to him.

"The environment at LSU is great and the fans are crazy," Martinez said. "Death Valley is definitely one of a kind. I think about how much I enjoyed that trip, to be honest. I think about how much I connected with the coaches, the environment and the football team."

Martinez is thankful for the opportunity to play for LSU and learn from Cregg, which is a part of the reason the Tigers won out for his commitment.

"The biggest thing is the opportunity I have to play for them and have coach Cregg show me what he was talking about how he'd use me."

The 247Sports Crystal Ball was locked on LSU and with his commitment, Martinez becomes the 15th commitment in the 2020 recruiting class, which ranks as the No. 3 overall class in the country, according to the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

According to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Martinez ranks as the No. 787 overall prospect in the country, No. 44 offensive guard nationally and No. 105 prospect in Florida. On 247Sports, Martinez is significantly higher, landing as the No. 492 overall prospect in the country, No. 25 offensive guard nationally and No. 67 overall prospect in the Sunshine State.26COMMENTS

His teammate and fellow St. Thomas offensive lineman Marcus Dumervil is also a target for the Tigers so keep it locked on 247Sports for the latest on Dumervil's plans.

John Garcia, Jr. contributed to this report.

• Like 2

LSU lands commitment from Florida offensive lineman

Andrew Olson Andrew Olson 
46 mins ago

Ed Orgeron’s weekend kicks off with a commitment.

St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Florida) OL Marlon Martinez announced Saturday morning that he has pledged to the Tigers. The 6-5, 287-pounder took an official visit to LSU campus on April 26. The 247Sports Composite lists Martinez as a 3-star recruit, the No. 44 offensive guard, No. 105 Florida product and No. 791 prospect overall nationally in the 2020 class.

Martinez was recruited by Corey Raymond and James Cregg for LSU. His other notable scholarship offers include Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, Penn State and Vanderbilt.

Entering Saturday, LSU’s 2020 class had Composite rankings of No. 2 in the SEC and No. 3 nationally. Martinez is commitment No. 15 in the class.

Orgeron and Martinez took to Twitter to share the big news.

download-4.jpeg

D7azMX6XYAAredl.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

4-star Major Burns commits to LSU

ByBILLY EMBODY 40 minutes ago 

Major Burns is staying home in Baton Rouge to play for LSU, he announced in a commitment video on Wednesday. The Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep defensive back becomes the 16th commitment for Ed Orgeron and the Tigers in the 2020 recruiting class, which inched closet to the No. 2 overall in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

The 6-2, 176-pound defensive back ranks as the No. 126 overall prospect in the country, No. 6 overall safety in the nation and No. 4 prospect in the state of Louisiana, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. 247Sports ranks the four-star prospect a bit lower at No. 191 overall prospect in the country, No. 17 safety in the nation and No. 7 overall prospect in Louisiana.

LSU beat out the likes of Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Miami, Texas A&M and plenty of others. The Sooners at one point were the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite for the one-time Texas A&M commitment before LSU surged. Defensive backs coach Corey Raymond built a strong relationship with Burns as the Tigers made a strong push since offering in March.

"I love LSU. They got great coaches and they got a nice recruiting class," Burns explained after his spring game last month "I talk to everybody over there. They got some cool and respectful coaches over there. Corey Raymond is cool. He's somebody I can relate to."

Burns' big rise up the rankings this spring began with a strong showing at The Opening New Orleans, where 247Sports named him one of the top performers from the camp. With a 4.58 40-yard dash and an impressive performance, Burns punched his ticket to The Opening Finals in July in Dallas.

"Burns strikes an imposing figure in position drills because of his length and size," Simmons wrote when naming top performers. "He towered over wide receivers, won contested footballs and showed really good instincts. He also showed that he has the versatility to play safety as well. The Texas A&M commit earned an invite to The Opening Finals."

Up next for Burns is preparing for his senior season at Madison Prep, where he's looking to continue to improve and grow during his final season before making the short trek over to LSU for his collegiate ball.

25COMMENTS

"I think my team came together and put together a great performance," Burns told 247Sports after the game. "We've just got to get to work now. It's time to get to summer workouts and get better as a team. Come together more as a family."

Stick with Geaux247 for more on Burns' commitment to LSU and what it means for the Tigers in this class. Want the latest breaking news on the Tigers delivered right to your inbox? Sign up for the FREE Geaux247 newsletter here.

• Like 1

Try to keep up folks: 

BREAKING: Jordan Toles commits to LSU

BySHEA DIXON 3 hours ago 

Share54 Comments

(Photo: Brian Dohn, 247Sports)

LSU's 2020 class has reeled in another big fish, and once again, the staff went outside the state of Louisiana to make it happen.

On Saturday, four-star and Top 150 prospect Jordan Toles committed to head coach Ed Orgeron and the staff, giving the Tigers another big piece off the East Coast. The Baltimore (Md.) native has been courted by schools across the country to play both football and basketball. 

It was the first trip to campus for Toles, who said the Tigers won him over right away once he landed in Louisiana for his three-day stay with his family.

"It was the little things that mattered as far as feeling comfortable and fitting in," Toles told 247Sports analyst Brian Dohn. "It's amazing here. It's beautiful. It's all love. It's been nothing but love since I got here. The people are great."

Toles, who was recruited to LSU by safeties coach Bill Busch, will play both football and basketball for the Tigers, choosing to sign with Ed Orgeron and Co., but also suit up for Will Wade and his staff on the hardwood.

"That is a big part of my commitment," Toles said. "That's what I want to do. If things don't work out on the court, I will still be good playing football.

"I feel as though they can really develop me and turn me into a great player. I have only been playing (football) for two years, and if I can play at DBU, that will make me even better."

Toles gives LSU yet another Top247 commitment, with the four-star prospect checking in as the No. 9 safety in the country on the 247Sports Composite. He's ranked as the No. 142 overall football prospect in the class and a top five prospect in the state of Maryland. 

54COMMENTS

LSU now has commitments from 17 prospects in the 2020 class, and the move for Toles to get on board pushed LSU ahead of Alabama for the No. 2 class in the country. 

Stay tuned to Geaux247 for more on this breaking commitment.

• Like 1

Safety Jordan Toles Commits to LSU

Tigers land another prospect from the mid-Atlantic region in the four-star safety.

By Billy Gomila 

on June 8, 2019 2:42 pm

@jordantoles23

LSU’s national recruiting footprint set down in the DMV area again today with Baltimore safety Jordan Toles announcing his commitment on his official visit this weekend.

Toles is a 6-3, 190-pound defensive back out of Baltimore’s St. Francis Academy, where he’s a teammate of fellow commit Demon Clowney. Interestingly, Toles also has a scholarship offer from Will Wade in basketball as a guard.

He’s a four-star prospect in the 247 composite, with Ohio State and Maryland considered his other main suitors. Toles marks the 17th commitment to the 2020 class and the second this week, joining fellow DB Major Burns.

With Toles, Clowney and linebacker Antoine Sampah, LSU now has three commitments from the Delaware-Maryland-Virginia region.

You have to love his size. Sudden athlete, who reacts and accelerates quickly. Not sure what his workout numbers are but he moves well and looks pretty fast.

Toles is in Baton Rouge this weekend along with a host of other big names, including five-star tailback Kendall Milton, four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton and four-star receiver E.J. Williams, along with a few others. There had been rumors that Toles was a heavy lean to the Tigers, and we’ll see if the excitement bleeds over to any other players

2 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Safety Jordan Toles Commits to LSU

Tigers land another prospect from the mid-Atlantic region in the four-star safety.

By Billy Gomila 

on June 8, 2019 2:42 pm

@jordantoles23

LSU’s national recruiting footprint set down in the DMV area again today with Baltimore safety Jordan Toles announcing his commitment on his official visit this weekend.

Toles is a 6-3, 190-pound defensive back out of Baltimore’s St. Francis Academy, where he’s a teammate of fellow commit Demon Clowney. Interestingly, Toles also has a scholarship offer from Will Wade in basketball as a guard.

I keep seeing Bill Busch's name show up in recruiting good kids, most of them out of state kids.  Dave Aranda had coached with Busch I think I read somewhere, and Aranda wanted him at LSU.  It looks like Busch is doing a great job as a recruiter.  I also read that Corey Raymond can do a better job coaching corners now that he does not have to coach the safeties also.  That is a surprise to me, as most teams just have one secondary coach.  But then, LSU usually has about the best pair of corners in the nation, and sometimes the safety also like Grant Delpit.  Give this two more years and let's see what they can produce.  I like what I see, and I really like what I see of Bill Busch in recruiting.  Geaux Tigers!

This one has happened: Jordan Toles commits to LSU, but the rest of this is going on. Could make for a great finish to the 2020 class. 

Update: LSU has plenty on the radar to cap 2020 recruiting class

• icon
  •  
  • icon
  •  
  • icon
  •  
  • icon

The Tigers currently boast 16 commitments for the 2020 class. The LSU staff has been fishing in deep water, hoping to land some prime tuna. Already boasting a sizable haul, LSU has momentum and help in the overall process to bring others into the fold.

Here’s a look at Tiger targets as the coaching staff looks to fill the current class:

OUT-OF-STATE

Right tackle Ty’Kieast Crawford (6-5, 318), a 4 star from Carthage, Texas, may even be underrated. LSU offered March 22. The sky is the limit for him with a long reach, low body fat and ability to maintain blocks. He stopped at LSU camp June 1 after previously visiting April 27. Arkansas, Alabama, SMU, Baylor, Texas A&M, Ole Piss, Tennessee, Florida State, Colorado, USC, Oklahoma State, Georgia, Houston, Missouri and Texas Tech are giving their best pitch.

Offensive tackle Rueben Fatheree (6-7, 305) from Richmond, Texas is a good basketball player, a sign that the 4 star has great athleticism for playing the edge. He is a good drive and pass blocker who plays with balance but needs to gain strength. Texas A&M, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Texas, Oregon, Ole Piss, Michigan, Florida State among others are after Fatheree.

Tight end Jalin Conyers (6-4, 220), a 4 star from Gruver, Texas, is the fifth rated tight end nationally in the ’20 class. His top six are comprised of LSU, Georgia, Arizona State, Ohio State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma. He has reliable set of hands proven by his 2018 campaign: 61 catches for 1,225 yards and 19 touchdowns. Conyers is a move tight end who gains good separation in routes.

Lathan Ransom (6-1, 200), a safety out of Tucson, Arizona, may be swayed by LSU’s history of producing NFL safeties. Tigers assistant Bill Busch is working the trail versus Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State and Notre Dame.

Offensive tackle Brady Ward (6-7, 310) is a 3 star recruit in Mobile, Alabama with Tiger ties. His dad Brian played at LSU in the mid 1990’s. Brady’s top four is LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma and Arkansas. He can play anywhere along line, including center.

Family ties may work against LSU in pursuit of 5 star EDGE Reggie Grimes (6-3 1/2, 235) out of Ravenwood, Tennessee. His dad played at Alabama. Grimes has a top six – Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Florida State, Vandy and South Carolina.

Keshawn Lawrence (6-1, 195) from Nashville is the No. 5 ranked safety in the country. His favorites are LSU, Miami, Tennessee, Ole Piss and South Carolina.

Jordan Toles (6-3, 190), safety out of Baltimore, has LSU as his clear-cut leader. The 4 star plays fast and physical with good hips. He is guard on hardwood and holds offers in basketball from LSU, St. John’s, Maryland, Denver and Stony Brook. Perhaps a dual-sport future or just the idea of both high-major options could help the Tigers pull Toles like the baseball-football combo secured Maurice Hampton.

Antonio Johnson (6-2, 185), 4 star safety out of East St. Louis, Illinois, had 81 tackles and five interceptions last season. LSU and Texas A&M are making it a two-horse race.

Defensive back Xavion Alford (6-1, 188) from Pearland, Texas is a 4 star who has LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Michigan, Texas and Texas A&M as options but it seems the Tigers are out in front.

Jerrian Thompson (6-1, 183), 4 star safety from Lufkin, Texas, has four favorites – LSU, Notre Dame, Arkansas and Oklahoma State. The Tigers may have a slight edge. Thompson makes tackles in bunches, shows comfort in space and displays good ball skills.

Defensive end Greg Hudgins (6-4, 235), a 3 star from Washington D.C., is on the radar for LSU, Maryland, Purdue (visited April 5th) and Vandy (visits June 14th).

Outside linebacker Latarie Kinsler (6-2 1/2, 205) is a sack artist out of Pahokee, Florida. Top options are Texas A&M, LSU, Syracuse and Oregon.

Offensive guard Miller Merriweather-Lewis (6-3, 298), 3 star out of Ocala, Florida, visited LSU back on Nov. 3 and returned Feb. 15 for Junior Day. LSU, Auburn and UCF make up his top three.

Live Oak (Watson, La.) defensive tackle Jalen Lee (6-4, 285) mays stay in-state but Oklahoma and LSU are the programs with an inside track over Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, Tennessee.

Defensive tackle Montra Edwards (6-5, 282), 3 star from Lexington, Miss., has a top three of Oregon, LSU and Mississippi State.

Offensive tackle Joshua Jones (6-4 1/2, 305) in Phenix City, Alabama has LSU in his top six with North Carolina State, Florida State, Mississippi State, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey (6-4, 305) had 27 stops with 10 for loss and four sacks last season at Iowa Western JUCO. He is a very disruptive playmaker. Alabama, LSU, Florida State, Penn State, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Oregon are top suitors.

IN-STATE

Defensive tackle Jacquelin Roy (6-3 1/2, 306; 5.05 forty) from University Lab decommitted Feb. 28 after pledging Sept. 17, 2018, but the staff has never broken off in their relationship with the 15th ranked defensive lineman in the country. He moves exceptionally well, uses his hands to ward off blockers, seems unblockable at times. He has visited LSU, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State and Ole Piss. The Tigers appear to be in good shape.

Alexandria Senior High nose tackle Jacobian Guillory (6-2, 331) is appears to be LSU’s to lose due to efforts of coaches Dave Aranda and Meatball Johnson. Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia and Texas are trying to pry him away. He’d like to melt off weight to maximize his talent on the field but Guillory is a national powerlifting champion with 740 pounds for a squat, 400 pounds on the bench press, and 625 pounds in dead lift.

John Ehret defensive tackle Patrick Jenkins (6-2, 285) is considered a 3 star but that ranking should go up. He impressed at the recent LSU camp. Jenkins sheds blockers quickly, takes good angles to the ball carrier and has a superb first step. Jenkins has visited Arizona while Colorado likes him a lot. Others in the hunt to varying degrees are ULL, LSU, Memphis, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Miami, Tennessee, Ole Piss, Texas A&M but LSU appears to have the best shot if they hone in on the West Bank standout.

Warren Easton running back Ashaad Johnson (6-0, 200) has in-state LSU as his current favorite, although the Tigers are eyeing top rated backs out of state as well. Johnson also has the eyes of programs like Alabama, Georgia and Kansas.

LSU commit promises to deliver national championship

MICHAEL WAYNE BRATTON | 1 HOUR AGO

Major Burns has only been committed to LSU for a few days but he’s already making some bold claims when it comes to what he expects from his career as a Tiger.

If you missed the news, the four-star defensive back from Baton Rouge started the wave of momentum Ed Orgeron’s program experienced on the recruiting trail over the weekend as his pledge was the first of four commitments LSU secured — it should be noted that two of the pledges have not been made public outside of Coach O’s trademark “Hold That Tiger!” messages to the program’s fans.

Burns, the No. 6 safety in the nation, Louisiana’s No. 4 overall prospect and a top 150 recruit in the 2020 recruiting cycle according to 247Sports Composite Rankings, committed to LSU on Friday with a video release. Burns was at one point committed to Texas A&M but he backed off that pledge this spring. LSU’s second commitment of the weekend came from four-star defensive back Jordan Toles of Maryland.

Following Burns’ commitment, former LSU and NFL player Ryan Clark was eager to share his thoughts on his school’s latest pickup.

“(Burns) is as focused and intense a young football player as I have ever seen. He will do everything to improve and succeed. I look forward to watching him grow! Welcome to the family,” Clark said following Burns’ commitment.

If breaking the hearts of Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M fans weren’t enough, Burns has upped the ante when it comes to making some fans among the LSU faithful as he’s promised to deliver a national championship during his time with the program.

LSU fans may be excited now but if Burns follows through on that promise, he’ll become a legend in Baton Rouge.

The LSU recruiting train continues to roll at great speed as the Tigers recruiting class for 2020 now has it's 18th commitment.

Defensive end Ali Gaye‍ of Garden City CC. gave LSU head football coach Ed Orgeron his verbal commitment Sunday morning.

What made him decide LSU would be his destination following graduation form Garden City?

“Just being around the coaches, hearing what they were talking about and being around the players,” Gaye said. “Being able to see how they work and do things down there.

“It exceeded expectations, it was a good trip. My family and I had fun.”

The 6-foot-6, 280-pound prospect chose LSU over offers from Nebraska Mississippi State, Iowa State, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Wisconsin and others.

Gaye prepped at Woodway High School in Edmonds, WA.  

Former LSU defensive lineman Christian LaCouture who is now an assistant defensive line coach and graduate assistant on the Tigers coaching staff has been a big part of luring him to Baton Rouge. 

“He’s pretty excited as me and him have been talking since day one,” Gaye said. 

Coming down from Washington State was surely a bit of culture shock but Gaye and his family did immediately enjoy the Louisiana cuisine.

“Definitely the oysters and some of the crawfish to,” he said.  “It was good food and good people.”

Saturday afternoon, Gaye and the other official visitors were able to get a sampling of Tiger fans. They were taken to Alex Box Stadium to witness game one of the Tigers baseball teams super regional game with Florida State.

“It was a great game, good fan base and a lot of fans showed up,” Gaye said. “It really shows how much the people there care about the athletes.  They show up there for games, 100 thousand for games.”

Gaye was told during his visit how he could expect to be utilized in the Tigers defensive front.

“They would like to have me in multiple positions but mainly a five tech, a loose five tech,” Gaye said. “Sometimes depending on the front have me have me as s three tech inside.  Also use me at six and nine.”

Ed Orgeron was ecstatic when Gaye gave his commitment.

“Oh man, the whole room was shaking,” Gaye said. “He was excited and it was crazy because he was more excited than i was, but I was excited to.”

Gaye will graduate at midterm from Garden City C.C. and he will have three years to play two

• Like 1