Gameday Tigers

2020 LSU Football Commitments

Herb

2 hours ago, LSUDad said:

He joins an LSU class that now has four wide receiver commitments, which can be argued as the best haul at the position in the country. The four-star prospect joins three other commitments who all rank inside the top seven nationally at the position. The 247Sports Composite ranks Rakim Jarrett as the No. 3 wide receiver in the country, Jermaine Burton the No. 6 wide receiver and Kayshon Boutte the No. 7 wide receiver.

That's incredible!  I don't remember this ever happening at LSU.  If the passing game looks good this year, top QB's need to be looking at LSU as the place to bring their talents.  We look strong for 3 years at WR.  As FH said, now we gotta get the OL.

• Like 1

WATCH: Rakim Jarrett notches two touchdowns in season opener

ByBILLY EMBODY 23 hours ago 

LSU wide receiver commit Rakim Jarrettstarted his senior season off with two touchdowns in Washington (D.C.) St. John's 48-0 win over Miami (Fla.) Southridge on Saturday. You can watch both touchdowns below. The five-star wideout on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite committed to the Tigers in late April and showed why he's one of the top playmakers in the country.

"Coming into the game, we knew they played a lot of 1-high press so that were a lot of go routes we planned on doing," Jarrett told Chad Ricardo. "Coach called the played and I had to go and get it. (On the second one), no safety. They were coming with an all-out blitz so middle of the field was open. I had to take advantage of it."

The 6-0, 208-pound wide receiver comes in on the 247Sports Composite as the No. 19 overall prospect in the country, No. 3 wide receiver nationally and No. 2 prospect in the District of Columbia. 247Sports ranks him as the No. 32 overall prospect in the nation and no. 6 wide receiver nationally.

Jarrett committed to the Tigers over Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Miami, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas A&M, USC and plenty of others. The Vols hosted him on an official visit in late June and do seem to be the top challenger, having 30 percent of the 247Sports Crystal Ball picks when Jarrett pledged to Ed Orgeron & Co.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Herb said:

You talking about Finley or your drive by on a couple of high schools?  Lol.

I grew up in a very small town. Lived in Hatcher Hall my freshman year. There was a big group of guys in the dorm who went to Brother Martin.  They were appalled at 2 things: A. I had never heard of Brother Martin; and B. I had never drank a Dixie beer.  Got to be good friends with them and we drank many Dixie beers out in front of Hatcher on game day.  I have since learned how much pride people from New Orleans  have regarding where they went to high school.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

TE Arik Gilbert was considered UGA's to lose early on, but lately, the last 4 Crystal Ball predictions were for the Tahd....

And.....................

HE IS A TIGER!  

Link attached still shows InbredGumps prediction, but scroll down and see the commit date (today), and more importantly, who the lead recruiter was. 😉

https://247sports.com/Player/Arik-Gilbert-94709/

I was told a large number of kids were in for the Florida game. We are have another big number of kids in for the Auburn game, the commitments are going to be fluid from now on. May lose a few, pick up higher rated kids. Yep, the #1 TE in the nation. 

Breaking: 5-star Arik Gilbert commits to LSU

9323044.jpg

9323044.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Rusty Mansell, 247Sports)

The shocker of the 2020 recruiting cycle has arrived.

On Wednesday, Georgia five-star prospect and the No. 1 tight end in the country Arik Gilbert committed to LSU over a final group that included both Alabama and Georgia, which is where the majority of the 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions resided for the Top 10 overall prospect.

Gilbert announced the decision at Marietta High on Wednesday evening, and he caught up with 247Sports recruiting analyst Rusty Mansell to break down the decision.

"I think on my official visit when I was sitting down talking to Coach O," Gilbert said of when he knew the decision. "The way he was talking to me sounded so genuine. I was going to be part of a true family."

After shocking the recruiting world with his decision, Gilbert said he is no longer planning to take any more visits. He made his official visit to LSU the weekend of the Florida game earlier this month.

"I am completely done," Gilbert said.

How did the Tigers wind up pulling it off?

"Honestly, it’s always been one of my top choices with Coach O there and the program he runs," Gilbert said. "It just, it seems like it really fits me. 'One Team, One Heartbeat’, and I’m the same way. It’s all about team and values. Also, with the new offense they are running with (Joe Brady) down there, that really interested me a lot. They were already one of my top teams, but that put them over the top."

PAID CONTENT BY IZODYour Fall Weekend Must-Haves

LSU tight ends coach John Decoster led the charge for the Tigers, and Gilbert knew his announcement would surprise both teammates at Marietta and coaches around the country.

"I just feel ready to go," Gilbert said. "I knew (it was a shocker). I just thought ‘here it goes. They are going to find out.’ I picked up the hat and nobody said nothing, and they thought I was joking."

What's the message to LSU fans?

"I am here to work," Gilbert said. "That’s it. I am here to win a (National Championship)."

As for targets left on LSU's board, Gilbert said he plans to go to work recruiting others to join him in Baton Rouge."

“I got a few (names) on the low," he said.

Here's the 247Sports evaluation on the nation's top tight end prospect:

Long-limbed, muscular, v-shaped athlete with a frame that can continue to add lean mass naturally. Rare body. Has played both sides of the ball for his high school and brings consistent effort in each role. Brings mismatch ability to the tight end position with both size and athleticism. Can play attached, split out as a wide receiver or as a 'move' tight end . Adequate hands and ball skills that have improved steadily over HS career. Can sink hips and change directions as a route-runner with receiver proficiency. Catches in traffic effectively. Highly competitive. Has elite verified combine athleticism. Once looked like a higher upside prospect at defensive end but has honed his offensive skill-set to become one of the most unique tight end prospects in years. Best tight end prospect we've seen since OJ Howard. Power five impact player on either side of the ball with first-round NFL Draft upside.

Stay tuned to Geaux247 for more on this breaking news.

A little more, LSU has done well in Ga. Marietta, Buford (Deep Snapper’s haven), Lassiter High (Mo Isom), etc. So many kids of all LSU sports have come from there. Philip Lutzenkirchen, the Auburn TE, killed a few years back in an automobile accident. Having family over there, I’ve gotten to see some of these kids play. 

Ed Orgeron weighs in on LSU landing commitment from 5-star 2020 TE Arik Gilbert

Adam Spencer | 47 minutes ago

On Wednesday evening, 5-star 2020 TE Arik Gilbert shocked the college football world by committing to LSU.

No one, not even his parents, knew who he was going to choose between finalists LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M and Clemson.

00:28

On his weekly radio show, LSU coach Ed Orgeron commented on Gilbert’s decision to commit to the Tigers:

Gilbert, a Georgia native, is the No. 10 overall player in the 2020 class and the No. 1 overall tight end, per the 247Sports composite rankings.

LSU now has the No. 3 recruiting class in the nation and the No. 2 class in the SEC, per 247Sports.

We’ll see if Gilbert can keep the good times going in Baton Rouge starting next year.