Gameday Tigers

EFF THE GUMPS!!! GDT Podcast InbredGumps Recap!

Fishhead

35 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I would not say the tide is going out.  I would say that right now, we can compete on an equal footing.  My expectation is this will be a dog fight among equals every year, and we had to improve to get to that level.  For a while, we had lost the game before we got in the plane.

Nick is 68. We both lose a ton after this year, but we gain more. 

The Tide is receding. It can only be high tide for so long and LSU is the north wind blowing the tide out. 

I believe most of that 😂

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

When's the last time we were here AFTER the InbredGumps game?

That's my argument. 

2011, and personally, I did not go anti-miles following 1/9/12... or really anywhere close to that. Not til Lambeau. I wasn't happy end of 2015, I was conflicted. I was ok when it looked like he'd be fired but unsure of the move. 

You gotta realize, it was ME that brought it up in the podcast. So it was based on MY prior feelings. A large faction of the LSU fan base hated miles from 2005 Tennessee. I wasn't talking about those people. Frick those people. I was talking about me and you. 

For me, O has proven me wrong and I'm acknowledging that based on right now. And the recruiting is going to be the key. Miles was losing recruiting battles O is now winning. 

The tide is going out. 

again, do you not listen or read?

ive acknowledged and given credit for where we are. i even said out loud on the podcast that O is proving me wrong.  O is currently ahead of where i ever could have predicted O to be.  

in fact i have not said a single negative thing about O at all. 

this is not at all in any way shape or form a nega-O stance.

my stance on the podcast (and in this topic) is this:

you have a loaded team right now. hell in the very first podcast of the year i acknowledged that THIS was the year to make a run, so don’t accuse me of changing it mid season. I said that because of the roster you and i both knew we had back in August.

now, you are number one in the country.

you have the best QB any of us has ever seen at LSU.

you will be favored in every single remaining game.

in this current position, with all of the above being true, you have to finish the deal.  period.

bringing up Miles was not compare O to Miles. It wasn’t to say he’s better, worse, equal, nothing like that. Hell its not even to compare one season to the next.

its to show what happens IF you fail when you shouldn’t.

its to show that’s what this programs expectations are and what they should be.

its not to say that O will flame out. It’s not to say O right now is where Miles was in ‘15 or any other year. It’s not comparing styles, coaching techniques, philosophies, or anything else.  It’s not comparing this team to that team.

its to compare the EXPECTATIONS of the program.

November, going into the Alabama game, top 2 in the country.

One guy didn’t deliver. how, why, is not the discussion. he did not deliver and was immediately put on the hot seat an eventually fired. A firing i completely agreed with.

Now, another guy has his chance.  He has to finish the deal.  

6 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

It’s not comparing this team to that team.

Ok, I understand what you're saying. But in the podcast, you did compare this team to 2015. That was one thing I disagreed with and still do, because that team lost the game against InbredGumps (embarrassingly) despite being highly ranked and carrying the Heisman front runner into the game. 

This team won and so did the Heisman candidate we have. 

The only other thing I disagree with is this. 

I know what you're saying with regards to "finishing". We have the team NOW and we gotta take advantage... strike while the iron's hot. Couldn't agree more. 

But...

You said in our conversation if we don't win the ship, it's a failure. 

I disagree with that. 

Of course we all want to win it all, but if we start counting making the playoff a failure, we're setting ourselves up for failure and setting an unreasonable expectation on any coach/player. 

That's my opinion and my only disagreement(s) to your podcast comments. 

*We've been promising we're gonna argue all year. It took us long enough! 😂

7 hours ago, houtiger said:

I would not say the tide is going out.  I would say that right now, we can compete on an equal footing. 

Big picture, not just LSU v Gumps

Alabama has gotten their asses handed to them the last couple times they met up with a team "on equal footing". 

They're done with regards to being feared, a dynasty. That's over. Not saying they won't be good or even have a great season in the near future. But we aren't the only team that's catching... and passing them. 

We're going to kill them in recruiting and it will breed more LSU success going forward. Clemson has passed them, and I'd say tOSU will as well. 

ETA: I know it was a 5 point win, but I also know it took trick plays (devonte Smith's first TD was a trick play worked to perfection) and a fluke punt return to even make that a game.  We kicked their asses. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

I know what you're saying with regards to "finishing". We have the team NOW and we gotta take advantage... strike while the iron's hot. Couldn't agree more. 

But...

You said in our conversation if we don't win the ship, it's a failure. 

I disagree with that. 

Of course we all want to win it all, but if we start counting making the playoff a failure, we're setting ourselves up for failure and setting an unreasonable expectation on any coach/player. 

ok, we really need me to be sober on these things from now on because i apparently don’t communicate well.

i don’t think i meant anything less than a national championship would be a failure.   At least not blindly. The when and how could sway my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

That's my opinion and my only disagreement(s) to your podcast comments. 

*We've been promising we're gonna argue all year. It took us long enough! 😂

or maybe i need to be tanked immediately after a game on these more often.  :crownpour:

9 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

ok, we really need me to be sober on these things from now on because i apparently don’t communicate well.

i don’t think i meant anything less than a national championship would be a failure.   At least not blindly. The when and how could sway my opinion.

or maybe i need to be tanked immediately after a game on these more often.  :crownpour:

That was the main issue I had. I just went back to listen to make sure...

1. I heard what I heard

2. I didn't edit it out to help you out lol

It's there though. We'll do like Cody Jinks and say it "must be the whiskey".

11 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

oh, apparently it was my bright idea to do this one. 

i had a mixture of Knob Creek, Jack Daniels, Dixie, and Purple Haze in me. 

Nice job there son! We had set up my tailgate at a friend's house, had a group friends there. Only one negatiger in the bunch and we sent her in the house. I started out pre-game with beer, switched to whiskey (various) and Coke when the game started b/c whiskey begins with "W" (Hey it worked :crownpour:) Began shots of Fireball after the win. Its gets a little hazy after that.     

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Nice job there son!

oh i paid for it dearly.

don’t know what time i lost contact with the conscious world that night sometime after 11 is what i can gather. woke up at 4:30am with about 46 jackhammers working their asses off in my head.

felt like i was dragged behind a train across a few states too.

had to cook for family at my sister’s house for lunch.  head pounding, stomach twisting,’sweating like a hooker in church i had no choice but to hit it again.

first two Abitas had me right again and functioning normal. Until i chased them with 4 more.

• Haha 1

LawrenceLott

Football 11/12/2019 11:58:00 AM Michael Bonnette (@LSUBonnette)

Lawrence Named Lott Impact Player of the Week

BATON ROUGE – LSU defensive end Rashard Lawrence has been named the Lott IMPACT Trophy Player of the Week for his performance in the 46-41 win over No. 3 Alabama on Saturday, the Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation announced on Tuesday.

Lawrence, a senior from Neville High School in Monroe, La., had four tackles, batted down two passes and teamed with Patrick Queen for a sack in the win over the Crimson Tide.

The Defensive MVP of the Fiesta Bowl last year, Lawrence has 103 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks in his LSU career. He's a two-time permanent team captain and has twice been named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll.

?LSU will receive $1,000 for its general scholarship fund in recognition of Lawrence's performance.??The Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation sponsors the Lott IMPACT Trophy and has donated more than $1.5 million to universities and charities throughout the country.

PLAYERS MENTIONED

#90 Rashard Lawrence

DL   6' 2"   308 lbs   Senior

#8 Patrick Queen

LB   6' 1"   227 lbs   Junior
  • Like 2

Rashard Lawrence is not the flashiest Tiger, but he comes in every day and takes care of his business.  I really like him, solid guy, seems solid off the field as well.  He was one of those top 10 players in the state that we had to get to begin contending again, and guys like he and Devin White helped turn it around.

15 hours ago, Fishhead said:

They're done with regards to being feared, a dynasty. That's over. Not saying they won't be good or even have a great season in the near future. But we aren't the only team that's catching... and passing them. 

We're going to kill them in recruiting and it will breed more LSU success going forward. Clemson has passed them, and I'd say tOSU will as well.

Friend and I had this exact discussion. Saban won all those championships on National Signing Day by building extreme depth on the O and D lines.  In addition, after 2011, Saban realized he needed to innovate his offense. Miles, as much as loved him as man, did not get that memo (well maybe he got it but he read it and threw it away!)  and it came to a head in Wisconsin.  Teams have caught up on both fronts.  And with respect to LSU, Coach O has publicly stated we need to continue to build depth on our line and just look at this year's class of D lineman and you realize how important he believes that is. He very obviously now has the change on offense he talked about when he was hired.  So yeah I agree,  I honestly believe its not gonna be another 8 years before we beat them.  Not saying we are gonna beat them for the next 8 years either.  Ding ding, the wicked witch is dead!

• Like 2

Couple of comments about the game.  I was impressed with Tua's ability to throw the long pass, especially to Devonte Smith.  However, LSU did pressure Tua on occasion, and under pressure, I don't think he makes the best decisions.  Burrow does a little better under pressure.  I was very impressed with Najee Harris, he's a hoss.  I knew he was a good runner, but he's a better pass catcher than I thought.  The 3 InbredGumps receivers are all excellent.  I think LSU's match up pretty good.  But Devonte Smith is a game changer, his speed is great.  Yes he beat Stingley on a trick one time for  a TD, but the last one was just flat out speed.  Jeudy is pretty great running routes.  I was glad to see that LSU usually limited the yards after catch.  I think our JaMarr Chase is the most physical of the 3 LSU receivers and the 3 InbredGumps receivers.  When the ball is in the air, over 2 years I don't remember anyone taking the ball away from Chase.

2 hours ago, houtiger said:

Couple of comments about the game.  I was impressed with Tua's ability to throw the long pass, especially to Devonte Smith.  However, LSU did pressure Tua on occasion, and under pressure, I don't think he makes the best decisions.  Burrow does a little better under pressure.  

Burrow is substantially better under duress. Like literally 60% compared to around 20% for Tua under duress. Not remotely close.