Gameday Tigers

Beer

Eq4bits

What’s your favorite?

I don’t drink it (well I do... maybe 1-2 bottles a year and then it’s ‘Not Your Fathers Rootbeer). But it seems like a good topic. So, discuss away about your favorite brews....

Anyone have an opinion on Hammonds microbrewery/craft beer by the name of Gnarly Barley? Asking because my friends son left Abita after working there for years (and winning the La Lottery) to follow his dream of working for a smaller brewery.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dachsie said:

I liked Hatch's homemade brew!

That was a vanilla whiskey porter that you tried.  Definitely for sipping and not for drinking all day. I am fermenting a blonde ale at the present, haven't decided if I am going to flavor it a bit.

As far as beer I will try anything, more partial to darker beers.  Not particularly fond of IPAs but there are some that I really like. One IPA that I have been enjoying lately (thanks to my daughter who lives in NOLA) is Holy Roller IPA from http://urbansouthbrewery.com 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NS Mom said:

Beer is not my favorite, but when I have one, it’s usually a Rolling Rock or An Abita Root beer .  A few years ago, we were at a kids party and they had a keg of Abita Root beer, that was the best!

Better than...?

4095.jpg

On 9/22/2018 at 10:13 AM, Hatchertiger said:

That was a vanilla whiskey porter that you tried.  Definitely for sipping and not for drinking all day. I am fermenting a blonde ale at the present, haven't decided if I am going to flavor it a bit.

As far as beer I will try anything, more partial to darker beers.  Not particularly fond of IPAs but there are some that I really like. One IPA that I have been enjoying lately (thanks to my daughter who lives in NOLA) is Holy Roller IPA from http://urbansouthbrewery.com 

Did we just become best friends??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kolsh is a great beer style. It's an ale and not a lager (meaning ale yeast is active at higher temps and ferments at the top of the fermentation vessel). On the malty vs hoppy sliding scale of flavor it is more towards the 'malty' side of the balance.

One of my favorite styles to brew.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Le Chien = The Dog   Let us know when the beer is available.

I normally brew beer using the "all grain" method, however, I am currently drinking an IPA I brewed using the "extract" method.  Not a fan  of all IPAs but this one I like. The extract method is much less involved than the all grain method (kind of like making soup from scratch vs. from a can) and I can see will allow me more opportunities to experiment with flavors.  I also brewed a porter that was supposed to include maple syrup as part of the fermentables.  Well I substituted Steen's Sugar Cane syrup instead.  Tonnaire mais tu parles bien !!!!!!!  Savoring every drop of it.

I think my next experiment is going to involve fermenting wine and beer together. There are a couple of beers available in this style, Abita Masion Blance being one of them.  I think I am going to pair Sauvignon Blanc grapes with a blond ale.  I plan on using Nelson Sauvin hops since it imparts a flavor similar to sauvignon blanc grapes. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

Le Chien = The Dog   Let us know when the beer is available.

I normally brew beer using the "all grain" method, however, I am currently drinking an IPA I brewed using the "extract" method.  Not a fan  of all IPAs but this one I like. The extract method is much less involved than the all grain method (kind of like making soup from scratch vs. from a can) and I can see will allow me more opportunities to experiment with flavors.  I also brewed a porter that was supposed to include maple syrup as part of the fermentables.  Well I substituted Steen's Sugar Cane syrup instead.  Tonnaire mais tu parles bien !!!!!!!  Savoring every drop of it.

I think my next experiment is going to involve fermenting wine and beer together. There are a couple of beers available in this style, Abita Masion Blance being one of them.  I think I am going to pair Sauvignon Blanc grapes with a blond ale.  I plan on using Nelson Sauvin hops since it imparts a flavor similar to sauvignon blanc grapes. Stay tuned.

The folks starting it are some of my friends, he’s sent me a few pictures. I’ll text him, get a little more info on what and when.