Gameday Tigers

SELU Recap-"Not Drinking the Kool-Aid"

Fishhead

I hate that saying, but I heard it a couple times today and many times tonight during and after LSU's lackluster performance against Southeastern Louisiana University. 

During the broadcast, probably due to boredom, the announcers compared REAL Lions and Tigers. (oh my)  I was struggling to stay awake, but I did hear them say Lions are actually faster than Tigers.  Well, sure they are...when the Tigers are out on the Savanna ALL. GAME. LONG!!  And that's what happened to our defense.  I mean, SELU gassed our defense and controlled the entire 2nd half.  
Thanks to the most bend with no break I've ever seen, LSU maintained the shutout.  Greedy Williams and their backup center, along with Jacoby Stevens, killed any chance they had to score. 

But OUR offense.  Good grief!  The best I can say is Nick Brossette looks like an SEC back, and we aren't turning the ball over.  

Our offense was on the field seemingly about 3 minutes in the 2nd half (I can't be THAT far off).  Our defense paid the price.  When Farrell went down late, I didn't even worry about a legit injury.  Just figured he needed oxygen.  (Hope all our guys are good to go after tonight's game)  I visited another site after the game and someone had a thread titled "This Game in 4 Words".  My response?  
"Weathersby and Clapp Missed".  Big time.  

Did you know Weathersby didn't make an NFL roster?  Left early and didn't even make a squad.  Wow. 

But that's water under the bridge.  We need to get these guys up to speed with the quickness!

Prior to this season, if you told me LSU is going 11-1, and asked who's the 1, I would've answered "Auburn at JH".  Nothing I've seen so far changes that. Our defense will keep us in any game, but I'd sure feel better if the offense would have shown me consistentcy and improvement tonight against, honestly a VERY week opponent.  
I DO think our defense will give Stidham and AU fits, but unless there's some revelation with the OL between now and then, Burrow won't have time to take advantage of a so-so barn secondary.  Their front 7 is as good or better than ours, I believe.  

We'll discuss the good and the bad in this thread.  If y'all wanna throw in the ugly, I ain't gonna stop you.  But as warranted as it is, we got a win, we held an opponent scoreless, and we FINALLY took advantage of one of our 6'5" receivers in the end zone!

Geaux Tigers

We had no major injuries and won by 31 points.

LSU seems to play at whatever level they game-filmed their opponent. Wek opponent = weak performance, Strong opponent = strong performance.  

When Burrow closed out the 1st half with that hail mary TD, I would not have expected that the next big play would come after over 20 minutes of game clock ticked off in the 2nd half.

Just now, Nutriaitch said:

i was hoping to see the line give Burrow time to get in sync with his receivers. 

That.  Honestly, I wanted his jersey to not even require washing after the game.  

I'll say this though.  He does need to calibrate his internal clock.  He held on a couple too long.  SELU had what appeared to be one pretty good DL, and he wreaked havoc

Just now, Fishhead said:

That.  Honestly, I wanted his jersey to not even require washing after the game.  

I'll say this though.  He does need to calibrate his internal clock.  He held on a couple too long.  SELU had what appeared to be one pretty good DL, and he wreaked havoc

yeah that too. 

2nd game in a row where replay needed to determine is it was a fumble or a forward pass.  Burrow needs a quicker release.

But, man I like the moxie in this kid.  That hail mary to end the 1st half was almost as good as Eric Reid's int vs bama.

This team played flat. 

I hate to say it, but I was afraid they would have a bit of a "Miami hangover", and play like they did, from buying into their own hype and not being charged up for SELU. I was afraid they wouldn't even cover the spread.

There is a lot to work on.  Pass protection is one of the biggest things I see that needs work.  The way the o-line played, Burrow will get killed against Auburn.

But we also saw the bright spot.  We have a leg.  That 50 yarder was the first of 50 or more since 2010.  

Seems like for the past five or six years our motto has been "we'll know more after next week's game". But we never really do.

I know we should have walloped SLU tonight - and on the scoreboard we did. No matter how it happened we won by 31 and the D got a shutout.

Hard to complain, really. And if all that is true, why don't I feel good about tonight's game?

Well I'll take ugly wins over pretty losses any day. 

Look, I dunno exactly what the definition of a "trap game" is.  I've always considered it a game against a lesser opponent sandwiched between games against better opponents.  Or at least a game where you could get caught looking ahead. If I'm right about my definition, this is the epitome of a "trap game".  

Good thing is, we weren't playing a Troy level team.   We were playing Southeastern.  So we could actually have the defense pitch a shut out, get +3 turnovers, win by 31, and STILL look like warm doggie droppings.  

That said, I don't come away from this feeling confident, but it is what it is, I guess

8 hours ago, La Tigresse said:

This team played flat. 

I hate to say it, but I was afraid they would have a bit of a "Miami hangover", and play like they did, from buying into their own hype and not being charged up for SELU. I was afraid they wouldn't even cover the spread.

There is a lot to work on.  Pass protection is one of the biggest things I see that needs work.  The way the o-line played, Burrow will get killed against Auburn.

But we also saw the bright spot.  We have a leg.  That 50 yarder was the first of 50 or more since 2010.  

They also had 1 less day of rest and preparation (2 if you count the Labor Day holiday), 2 starters gone from injury (one for the season), and 2 additional starters suspended for the game for disciplanary reasons. Not trying to make excuses there, but the Miami game probably came at the cost of some level of physical expenditure without the usual rest and recovery period.

The other thing I noticed...just as a targeting penalty shook Miami to the core early in their game, after Philips was ejected for targeting just prior to the half, our defense seemed to have been numbed after that for most of the second half.

I can't help but wonder if after that ejection, the defense became tentative about how they hit and tackled out of fear of having someone ejected for the entire Auburn game.  Frankly, if that were the case I'd rather have all of our defensive starters eligible for Auburn and let Southeastern have a moral victory in defeat than our defense snuffing them in the 2nd half but then be without a Greedy Williams or Kristian Fulton against Auburn.

Our o-ling needs to figure things out very quickly. Like today. I want to watch the replay but from my view in the stands that wasn't pretty. I know we had two starters out but Southeastern may be the easiest game on our schedule. We have to pass block better 'cause we are not going to run it down people's throat.  Without the long jump pass to Sullivan, I'm not sure what our longest drive in the first half was.  Sure wish we had the 2013 offense to go with this defense!!!

Archived