Gameday Tigers

Security Enhancements in Tiger Statium - UGA Game Impact

Just Me

If going to the LSU/UGA game this weekend, prepare to get there early as on the east side lines are gonna be longer and slower. The newest metal detectors have been installed in effort to have all gates done by next season. The game was sold out days ago, the weather is going to be perfect, so it will be a full house.  As fans and security get used to the detectors, the east side is gonna take longer than normal to enter.

http://www.lsusports.net//ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=211775376

BATON ROUGE – With large crowds expected on campus this Saturday for the matchup between No. 12 LSU and No. 2 Georgia in Tiger Stadium, athletic officials and law enforcement officers have many reminders for fans ahead of the game.

Metal Detector Implementation 
LSU and law enforcement officers continue the process of preparing to have full-stadium coverage of metal detectors in place by 2019, a year ahead of the SEC requirement. In an effort to better train our staff and educate additional fans, LSU Athletics will be moving the metal detectors to different gates for the remaining games this season. 

For the Oct. 13 game against the Bulldogs, we will be testing, training and educating at Gates 9, 10, 11 and 12. Fans entering the east side of the stadium are especially advised to arrive early. Patrons will be asked to remove all electronic devices and large metal objects from pockets. There will be no need to remove belts, wallets, watches, jewelry, coins or jackets. 

Those fans with medical issues should notify security prior to going through the metal detectors where they will then be directed to the Medical Item Inspection Tent located at Gate 10.

Fans should be aware that any items deemed as a weapon (pocket knives, multi-tools, etc.) will have to dispose of them or return those items to their cars before entering the stadium. Prohibited items that are confiscated will not be returned. For complete listing of prohibited items in Tiger Stadium, click here.

Click here for a full FAQ on metal detector implementation

I went through a metal detector at a high school game. I was told to take out my keys and phone. I asked about loose change, she said no. I set off the alarm, but she let me through. Go figure. I still never got my pocket knife back from the Better Than Ezra Concert. 

Even though the timing for implementing a new system at those gates is not optimal (likely largest crowd of the year), I agree with the upgrades. 

The clear bag policy is a farce! One can have on a coat/jacket that all sorts of illegal items could be stashed in or under and no attention is paid. All the while they are poking through the approved size clear bag with a stick. It is a feel good sham. IMO, either do security properly, or don't fool with the half-asses methods of "clear bag policy" only.  

I will prepare for the worst getting into the stadium, but hope for the best.

When I went to Disneyworld a couple of weeks ago they did bag searches.  When I was there 2 years ago it was very cursory.  This time they  went way deep into bags, every pocket in every bag.  It was crazy.  Then you could get randomly selected to go thru a metal detector.  Some of the parks they took longer doing it than others.  Its the world we live in now I guess/

Update: I got there an hour before kickoff, but that is my normal practice as I like to watch warm ups and the stands fill. It only took me 5 minutes to get through the new security measures once I found the new entrance (the gate entrances have been altered a lot). However, there are reports that some people did not fare so well and were in line a good 30 minutes or more and missed pre-game, and/or kick off. I saw pics of some lines, and they made the worst TSA lines look good.

Getting to the game early is going to have to be the norm for a lot of people to spread out the crowds.

Archived