Gameday Tigers

Ensminger as OC

Just Me

Yesterday, the game against UGA started out slow in each half, but was by far the most complete game this team has played all year.

Which brings us to our OC. I seem to remember there were fans who hissy fits over his selection. Yesterday we had a very impressive showing on being aggressive and going for it on 4th downs. So, I bring up an important question. How is he doing? Is he growing in the job? Is he getting more aggressive and varied as players grow in their positions? All of the above?

A good article on the game yesterday that talks about the offensive play calling.

Georgia seemed to be regaining balance, driving 75 yards in seven plays to score a touchdown and come within 19-9 of LSU near the end of the third quarter Saturday night in Tiger Stadium.

The LSU offense was in a rut.

The Tigers had punted on its first drive of the second half. Then, when LSU defensive back Kristian Fulton intercepted a pass at the Georgia 23, the Bulldogs managed to hold LSU to a field goal. Tigers quarterback Joe Burrow nearly threw an interception himself on the next drive, when Georgia defenders tipped two passes to force a punt.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Burrow was flushed out of the pocket to the right, and his cross-field pass attempt to a heavily covered Ja'Marr Chase was nearly intercepted by linebacker Brenton Cox, who tipped the pass with his left hand.

LSU would eventually beat Georgia 36-16 with 475 yards of total offense, but at this point, it had started the second half with 51 yards in 19 plays — just 2.7 yards per play.

Georgia had secured its first six wins of the season by piling on in the second half, outscoring its opponents 99-48.

If the Georgia defense could muster another stop, the Bulldogs could cut into the two-score cushion LSU had created.

"Momentum was changing; it swinging that way a little bit," LSU head coach Ed Orgeron said. "You could feel it."

Then, starting at its own 14 with 14:20 left in the game, LSU began what Burrow later said was "the best drive (offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger) has called all year."

For the rest: 

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_d9201c92-cfc5-11e8-85f6-db85946ac3bf.html

Good write up, LT! And thanks for the link to the Advocate. I miss being a student and sitting across from the news stand in the Union with a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning after a big game reading the State Times and Morning Advocate Sunday Sports sections. I feel like a twenty year old kid again today!

Have to add that I loved the hurry up offense at times.  We hadn't really seen that this year and LSU might do well to have clusters of plays called at a time to keep opponents from swapping out personnel and/or getting caught with too many men on the field.

This thing about yesterday was that LSU did it in spurts and it paid off big time with either UGA burning a timeout, getting burned because they were not ready, or getting a flag for 12 men on the field.

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Easily Ensminger's best game. Last week (UF) may have been his worst. 

Keep playing to win and keep the foot on the gas, steve!

I will agree to that. Seemed like everything at Florida was horrible. And it was one of those gut feelings from the first quarter that things were not going to turn around.

Yesterday was the opposite. A bit of a slow start each half, but once got clicking, you could feel it. The aggressiveness on 4th downs fired up the team and the crowd. It reminded me of Florida '07 where the feeling in the stadium was "this is going to work" on everything. This was really the first time in a LONG time I have seen such a "foot on the gas" attitude.

But the thing is, we know it is there. Yes, it has to show itself more and there needs to be consistency. But I saw things yesterday, and felt a confidence, I have not in a long, long time.

I was reading on a Ga. forum, and a title was "Kirby Smart just got outcoached by a vanilla coach".  O still has work to do to be taken seriously.

They  were asking about John Emery (RB recruit), and they said they think he will go to Ga. because he can't understand a word O says.  I hope we flip him.

33 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I was reading on a Ga. forum, and a title was "Kirby Smart just got outcoached by a vanilla coach".  O still has work to do to be taken seriously.

They  were asking about John Emery (RB recruit), and they said they think he will go to Ga. because he can't understand a word O says.  I hope we flip him.

Kirby definitely made some questionable calls. 

Archived