Gameday Tigers

Alt uniforms this week?

Nutriaitch

5 minutes ago, Eq4bits said:

Yeah since there is a REASON

no names on jerseys to honor ‘the unknown’s’ who didn’t return from WWI

I have to say, that part got me in the feelz.

Btw, I must be having a blonde moment. How do I embed a tweet, instead of just pasting in the link?

19 minutes ago, wsgeaux said:

I changed my mind. I like them and I love the history. We’ll see how those helmets look on TV.

The video on twitter makes the helmet look a lot different than the pics. I know the lockers have artful lighting, so the first pic may be reflective of that. The twitter vid makes it look more like a true purple and a gold.

I'm anxious to see how they look on Saturday to see what is closest to actual look.

Designer of unis explains:

“Seeing a game at Tiger Stadium, especially a night game, just to see the atmosphere there, it’s a very special place,” Iverson said. “Walking through the Memorial Oak Grove, I didn’t know what it was at the time, but I just got goose bumps walking through it, and then it turned out to be an important part of the uniform.”

The uniforms are for a special 1918 tribute that includes purple helmets that change colors.

The Tigers are paying homage to the lost season that year because of World War I.

The school has a grove of oak trees on campus that pays tribute to those who died in the war. There is a pattern of oak leaves in the purple trim and numbers on the jerseys. The helmet on the uniform looks purple. But it changes color to gold under the light, a unique addition for a night game at Tiger Stadium.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/watch-nike-graphic-designer-discusses-how-he-designed-lsus-alternate-uniform/

FYI:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/communities/livingston_tangipahoa/article_3f8a011e-c1d4-11e8-814e-37e466c0f59d.html

BATON ROUGE — LSU’s Memorial Oak Grove is being reimagined as a prominent place of remembrance, and on Nov. 11, the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, a public rededication ceremony will be held on campus.

Leading up to the ceremony, LSU is looking for friends, relatives and descendants of former LSU students and alumni who made the ultimate sacrifice in World War I and are honored in the Memorial Oak Grove, a news release said.

This includes Henry N. Huck, 1916-17, of Independence, and William Digby Morgan, of Tangipahoa, who earned a Bachelor of Science in 1907.

LSU’s military traditions date from its founding in 1860. Several memorials have been established on campus in honor of alumni who lost their lives in military service and to serve as vivid reminders of their service and sacrifice.

The Memorial Oak Grove was dedicated on March 12, 1926, to honor the 30 LSU men who lost their lives in the war.

Thirty-one live oak trees were planted, one for each of the fallen and one for an unknown soldier, as a living reminder of their sacrifice and service to the country. Plans have been in the works to improve the landscaping and to provide an educational component to tell the story of those who are memorialized, the grove itself and the war, the release said.

For information or if you know one of the men honored at the Memorial Oak Grove, contact LSU biological sciences professor Gary King at gking@lsu.edu.

The trees were planted in honor of:

• Milton W. Adams, at LSU from 1916-17, of Natchitoches
  • Leslie Phillip Backes, 1916-18, New Orleans
  • Lawrence Edward Brogan, 1909-10, Baton Rouge
  • David Jenkins Ewing Jr., 1916, New Orleans
  • John F. Goodrich, 1909, Highland
  • Ike Hahn Gottlieb, 1913, Baton Rouge
  • James Oliphant Hall, 1913, Calcasieu Parish
  • Henry N. Huck, 1916-17, Independence
  • Leslie Carl Hunt, 1918, Tucker
  • John Seymour Joseph, 1912-13, Eunice
  • Alan Louis Labbe, 1907-09, St. Martinville
  • David Thompson Land Jr., 1915, Shreveport
  • Ireanus J. Lietemeyer, 1902-03, New Iberia
  • Phillip John McMahon, 1912-16, Thibodaux
  • Lewis Hypolite Martin, 1911, Breaux Bridge
  • Alan Loughery Melton, 1916-17, Coushatta
  • Wear F. Milling, 1908-10, Franklin
  • William Digby Morgan, 1907, Tangipahoa
  • Cecil Anthony Neuhauser, 1911, Slidell
  • Jasper Joseph Neyland, 1914, Washington
  • David J. Ory, Reserve
  • Walter Asbury Phillips, 1910-13, Barbreck
  • Maurice Joseph Picheloup Jr., 1909-10, New Orleans
  • Thomas James Powell Jr., 1901-03, Lake Providence
  • Daune Horton Rutledge, 1914-18, Robeline
  • Julian Bowles Sanford, 1900, Rapides Parish
  • Stuart Doremus Simonton, 1917, Vernon
  • Charles Nichols Singletary, 1914-17, Sugartown
  • Wilburn Edward Scott, 1912, Kingston
  • Henry Ras Thomas, 1917-18, Collins, Mississippi
  • Charles P. Willis, 1912-13, Shreveport.

Archived