Gameday Tigers

Future LSU HC

NDTiger

gut feeling with Woodward’s MO. 

• will be a quality hire. 
  • will almost certainly have head coaching experience. 
  • will likely (but not necessarily) have some experience/success at a Power 5 school. 
  • we won’t hear shyte until it’s done. 
  • could be a “big splash” type or one of those “damn i didn’t even think of him, that’s a damn strong hire” type 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nutriaitch said:

gut feeling with Woodward’s MO. 

• will be a quality hire. 
  • will almost certainly have head coaching experience. 
  • will likely (but not necessarily) have some experience/success at a Power 5 school. 
  • we won’t hear shyte until it’s done. 
  • could be a “big splash” type or one of those “damn i didn’t even think of him, that’s a damn strong hire” type 

I totally agree.

Precluded will be people who have a potential to bring shame on the institution, so that rules out the Urban Meyers, Lane Kiffins, Bobby Petrinos, and others.

Name brand guys i think we at least speak to:

Lane Kiffin
Luke Fickle
James Franklin
Bill O’Brien
Chris Petersen?

Smaller names we likely speak to:

Billy Napier
Jamey Chadwell
Dave Aranda
Matt Cambell

Guys that nobody thinks were going to talk to (but i think could/should be on the list):

Mario Cristobal
Scott Satterfield
Neal Brown
Shawn Clark

14 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Lane Kiffin
Luke Fickle
James Franklin
Bill O’Brien
Chris Petersen?

Billy Napier
Jamey Chadwell
Dave Aranda
Matt Cambell

Guys that nobody thinks were going to talk to (but i think could/should be on the list):

Mario Cristobal
Scott Satterfield
Neal Brown
Shawn Clark

I have been thinking of potentially O'Brien but have not put much effort into pros/cons of him. 

4 minutes ago, dachsie said:

I dont know much about Coaches and who would be good or not, but please, not Kiffin.

Who is the coordinator the the Chiefs people refer to?  Beilemy?  What's his story?

Eric Bienemy.
he’s from New Orleans and was a stud RB in college. 

but he’s been in NFL for like 15 years now and is probably a lifer at that level now. 

Some others:

• Brian Daboll - Former Bama OC and now Buffalo Bills OC
  • Skip Holtz - Granny Holtz's son and HC of the LA Tech Bulldogs
  • Jim Leonard - Wisconsin DC - the next Aranda?
  • Steve Wilks - Missouri DC and former NFL head coach 
  • Brian Johnson - Philadelphia Eagles QB coach and former OC at Florida
  • Todd Monken - UGA OC
  • Marcus Freeman - ND Defensive Coordinator
  • Tony Elliot - Clemson OC
  • Nathaniel Hacket - Green Bay OC and son of former NCAA HC Paul Hackett

17 hours ago, NDTiger said:

I have been thinking of potentially O'Brien but have not put much effort into pros/cons of him. 

Never saw anyone destroy an organization faster than he did the Texans. 

He's responsible for losing DHop, JJ Watt, Clowney, e.t.c., and getting nothing in return. 

17 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

Lane Kiffin
Luke Fickle
James Franklin
Bill O’Brien
Chris Petersen?

Billy Napier
Jamey Chadwell
Dave Aranda
Matt Cambell

Mario Cristobal
Scott Satterfield
Neal Brown
Shawn Clark

I'd move Cristobal way higher. And I wouldn't hate it. God knows he can recruit and develop OL

51 minutes ago, Fishhead said:

Never saw anyone destroy an organization faster than he did the Texans. 

He's responsible for losing DHop, JJ Watt, Clowney, e.t.c., and getting nothing in return. 

That is not all on Bill O'Brien. 

Look where this guy joined the organization, and what his role is:

Jack Easterby was named the executive vice president of football operations on January 28, 2020, being promoted to the role after joining the Houston Texans as executive vice president of team development in April 2019. In his role, Easterby manages all football operations and directs the overall culture of the organization.

Bob McNair founded the team, he died in 2018.  His wife owns them, and his son, Cal McNair runs the team.  Cal brought in Easterby, and the players felt he was preaching too much christian culture to them.  I don't know a player and none has said this out loud, but rumor is that the players want to WIN, and they want the best coach to WIN, don't care is he is christian, muslim, or atheist.  I think that was Deshawn Watson's problem with the team, he wanted, and says he was promised, input on the coach to replace O'Brien, and he did not even get to have his say.  JJ Watt seemed to think the same way, Texans more concerned about "culture" than competence.  The story we heard about O'Brien and Deandre Hopkins seemed to be on O'Brien, but I am not sure if Easterby was really behind it.

I am not that down on O'Brien.

13 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

he did well considering the circumstances at Pedo State. 

i’m not “down” on him, but he’s not very close to top of my list either. 

Agreed.  He would have a lot of 'splainin' to do about the end of his tenure at Houston.

Edited by houtiger

41 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Just a guess, you see players enter the NFL Draft, then you see some, never get drafted. 
For some, it would be better for them to stay 4 or 5 years in college. 

Pretty much this..... Some guys get bad information and aren't drafted until the late rounds if at all. 

For example how is Thaddeus Moss doing? 

There were several years that LSU had more former players staffing NFL rosters than any other university. That has tapered off over the last few years (perhaps one more thing to thank Orgeron for).

"NFLU" has been a great recruiting tool for LSU since Saban arrived here. The term was informally coined over time, but the message to high school players that attending LSU gave them a stage to get prepared for the NFL was backed up by the numbers.

Moss, specifically, was a 3 star high school prospect. He chose NC State to play for then transferred to LSU. Aside from his pedigree, Moss was not recruited or considered to be a guaranteed future NFL player. Outside of his name, he was no more or less an NFL prospect than many other high school athletes with his level of talent.

It was "NFLU" that gave Moss the exposure on a much bigger stage than NC State ever could that allowed him access to the NFL - in conjunction with the Moss "brand". 

If the "NFLU" reputation gives us an edge over many other schools in recruiting, I'd love to see LSU trademark it rather than ditch it.