Gameday Tigers

Future LSU HC

NDTiger

40 minutes ago, Herb said:

There were several years that LSU had more former players staffing NFL rosters than any other university. That has tapered off over the last few years (perhaps one more thing to thank Orgeron for).

"NFLU" has been a great recruiting tool for LSU since Saban arrived here. The term was informally coined over time, but the message to high school players that attending LSU gave them a stage to get prepared for the NFL was backed up by the numbers.

I seem to remember Trev Faulk as to being one of the first with nick, telling him to stay another year. He was one that went undrafted. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NDTiger said:

I would also like for the next coach to throw NFLSU out the window, just my opinion.

12 hours ago, Herb said:

I'd love to hear you elaborate.

yeah because it’s evolved into “come play 3 years then leave. whether ready or not”, so we damn near always lack upper class leadership  

meanwhile our biggest rival has sure fire first rounders coming back to win titles. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 9:15 AM, Nutriaitch said:

yeah because it’s evolved into “come play 3 years then leave. whether ready or not”, so we damn near always lack upper class leadership  

meanwhile our biggest rival has sure fire first rounders coming back to win titles. 

Hammers and nails aren't rivals

Bienemy is being groomed to be a head coach in the NFL …. and thats the way the NFL wants it.

Fickle is really solid and I believe he is worthy, but recruiting in the SEC is much different.

Gruden and Cristobal, both controversial, are the only names that would concern me as an AU fan. Gruden because he’s a legit winner and might consider a rehab stint in CFB ….. and Cristobal because he’s one of the dirtiest recruiters in the game today.

9 hours ago, cadillacattack said:

Bienemy is being groomed to be a head coach in the NFL …. and thats the way the NFL wants it.

Fickle is really solid and I believe he is worthy, but recruiting in the SEC is much different.

Gruden and Cristobal, both controversial, are the only names that would concern me as an AU fan. Gruden because he’s a legit winner and might consider a rehab stint in CFB ….. and Cristobal because he’s one of the dirtiest recruiters in the game today.

Caddy, always appreciate your perspective!

NFW we hire Gruden. He's overrated and to the best of my knowledge has never really had to recruit anyone of note when he was an assistant in the college ranks.

Furthermore - while a 'rehab stint in CFB would make a great story (for white people) - how would he sit in the living room of a black family to recruit given the nature of the emails he sent that made racist caricatures when he referred to NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith by saying "“Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of Michelin tires”?

Gruden is rightfully done (I hope) as a coach for eternity. Fuck him.

I honestly think Scott Woodward will bring in someone flying below everyone's radar that will excel once given the keys to the Maserati.

• Like 1

One other point to make about the LSU program in general.

I hear people make the claim that the LSU job is a "meat grinder" in that LSU goes through football coaches more than other programs. The stated point or implication is that coaches do not want to come to LSU because they will eventually get fired anyway.

In reality, LSU has only had 3 head coaches since 2000. Here is how that stacks up to other programs:

• Alabama:   5 head coaches since 2000
  • Florida:   9 head coaches since 2000
  • Auburn:   5 head coaches since 2000
  • Notre Dame:  6 head coaches since 2000
  • USC:   6 head coaches (not counting interim head coaches)
  • Ohio State:   5 head coaches since 2000
  • Michigan:   4 head coaches since 2000 (not counting Les Miles...lol)
  • Ole Miss: 6 head coaches since 2000
  • UCLA:   5 head coaches since 2000
  • Texas: 4 head coaches since 2000
  • Nebraska:   6 head coaches since 2000
  • University of Miami:   8 head coaches since 2000
  • Oregon:  5 head coaches since 2000
  • Arkansas:  9 head coaches since 2000
  • Florida State: 5 head coaches since 2000

The only major programs I can find that have had FEWER head coaches than LSU during that time are Iowa (1), Oklahoma (2) and Clemson (2). Oklahoma State has also had 3 head coaches since 2000.

• Like 1

Another name to add to the list is Matt Rhule. If the Panthers decide to move on from him he could be a guy to look at. He had Baylor playing well before heading to the NFL. He took over at a bad situation in Baylor and left on pretty good turn around. They were very close to beating Oklahoma and headed to the CFP. 

I listened to Matt Mascona last night.  He said NO to Jimbo, said boosters told him after things Jimbo did in 2015, they won't have him.  He said LSU president Tate has inserted himself into the coaching situation, he met with Woodward for the last several weeks.  He said Tate wants to be involved in the coaching hire and he would like to see LSU hire a black head coach.  That would favor James Franklin and Mel Tucker.  He believes Franklin would like to stay up north, he's happy there, and would be hard to pull to LSU.  He said Joe Brady is not coming, will be an NFL head coach in a few years.  He said Fickel is waiting for a mid west job.

Edited by houtiger

12 hours ago, houtiger said:

I listened to Matt Mascona last night.  He said NO to Jimbo, said boosters told him after things Jimbo did in 2015, they won't have him.  He said LSU president Tate has inserted himself into the coaching situation, he met with Woodward for the last several weeks.  He said Tate wants to be involved in the coaching hire and he would like to see LSU hire a black head coach.  That would favor James Franklin and Mel Tucker.  He believes Franklin would like to stay up north, he's happy there, and would be hard to pull to LSU.  He said Joe Brady is not coming, will be an NFL head coach in a few years.  He said Fickel is waiting for a mid west job.

that dude's source is Tigerdroppings.

and i'm not really kidding all that much.

• Like 1

I still think the future HC will be someone whose name is not currently being listed as a "top candidate". One example is Notre Dame DC Marcus Freeman, who came within inches of becoming our DC last year but opted for Notre Dame instead. (I wonder if he saw the handwriting on the wall in terms of being potentially 'one and done' at LSU DC if Orgeron were fired?)

Brian Kelley has since indicated that Freeman will likely be his replacement at ND.

Another is Brian Daboll - Buffalo Bills OC who was OC at Bama under Saban in 2017 when they won a National Championship with Jalen Hurts as QB. Daboll is appearing on short lists for an NFL HC job based on the development work he has done with QB Josh Allen in Buffalo. He may hold out for an NFL HC job, but he also might find a job like LSU more lucrative and relatively stable.

There are many others out there as well.