Gameday Tigers

Future LSU HC

NDTiger

2 hours ago, Herb said:

At what level? The impatient NFL can burn through coaches.

major college football at the lowest. 

gut will almost assuredly have SUCCESSFUL head coaching experience already on his resume. 

2 hours ago, Herb said:

Would you rule out a Jason Garrett or Romeo Crenell?

considering both were crap as head coaches, yeah i’m confident neither gets a call from Woody. 

So why isn't the guy who - as HC of a power 5 team whose team was #6 in terms of total wins - considered a top candidate?

Let that sink in - over six seasons only 5 teams had more wins than the team he coaches.

Who is this coach?

Paul Chryst at Wisconsin.

13 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Desmond Howard was talking about how good the LSU job is, the last three coaches won a National Championship. The last two, would have never won one anywhere else. He’s doing Woodys job for him! 

And even Herbie said LSU was a Top 5 job

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herb said:

So why isn't the guy who - as HC of a power 5 team whose team was #6 in terms of total wins - considered a top candidate?

Let that sink in - over six seasons only 5 teams had more wins than the team he coaches.

Who is this coach?

Paul Chryst at Wisconsin.

that dude ain’t leaving. 

it’s his alma mater. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Herb said:

He's making less than 1/2 of what Orgeron is making, I think. Unless I am wrong, he's making 4.1 million.

15 hours ago, Herb said:

Just looked it up. He's making  $5.2 million this season.

born in Madison. played QB there. 

living quite comfortably at $5.2. 
he ain’t leaving. 

oh and he runs the Les Miles offense that everyone here hated so much. 

Winding down my Nebraska/Colorado visit and saw some fresh names being tossed about:

• Matt Rhule - former Baylor HC who did very well there cleaning up the Art Briles mess but has struggled a bit in the NFL. Considered a good NCAA head coach who 'did the Saban' by going to the NFL and might regret it.
  • Pete Carrol - yeah, him. Might be looking for a new challenge but he's almost 70 and probably seeing his retirement on the horizon. I don't think he'd be interested in LSU and if he was would probably take a lucrative 5 year deal and head into the sunset after that. He'd be a "no" from me.
  • Brian Kelley at Notre Dame - the argument was that Kelley can get ND in the playoffs but doesn't have the talent to ever go all the way and LSU would give him the vehicle to reach the top. Basically that he's done all he can at ND and LSU would be a new challenge for him. If he were interested, I wouldn't say no and if Woodward picked him (like any other choice) I'd be behind him 100% until he gave me reason not to.
  • Doug Pederson - that Tiger Poo site (or whatever the name of it is that always makes me think of a litterbox) says players are being told that 3 current assistants are being retained and that Woodward already has his guy signed. Apparently it's Pederson, who was the Super Bowl winning coach of the Eagles not long ago (2017).

Now, I don't take ANY credence for things that fans who claim they have an "inside source" say. They almost always prove to be incorrect. I would say that this might not even be solid enough to call a "rumor"...take it for what it's worth.

As for Pederson, he's an offensive minded coach (former NFL backup QB) who played college at Louisiana-Monroe when it was 'Northeast Louisiana University' and outside of his career as an NFL coach, he started his coaching career at the Calvary Baptist Academy in Shreveport. So he has some ties to Louisiana.

He is a disciple of Andy Reid who was QB coach at Philly when Donovan McNabb was QB and he followed Reid to KC as his OC before getting hired to be the Eagles HC (replacing Chip Kelly whose UCLA team throttled us).  He only has 4.75 seasons as a HC and is 42-37 overall. 

Again...take it for what it's worth. IMHO, his record as a head coach is kind of thin, but who knows.

Have not seen any other 'fresh ideas' outside of the usual drivel from sports writers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herb said:

Winding down my Nebraska/Colorado visit and saw some fresh names being tossed about:

• Matt Rhule - former Baylor HC who did very well there cleaning up the Art Briles mess but has struggled a bit in the NFL. Considered a good NCAA head coach who 'did the Saban' by going to the NFL and might regret it.
  • Pete Carrol - yeah, him. Might be looking for a new challenge but he's almost 70 and probably seeing his retirement on the horizon. I don't think he'd be interested in LSU and if he was would probably take a lucrative 5 year deal and head into the sunset after that. He'd be a "no" from me.
  • Brian Kelley at Notre Dame - the argument was that Kelley can get ND in the playoffs but doesn't have the talent to ever go all the way and LSU would give him the vehicle to reach the top. Basically that he's done all he can at ND and LSU would be a new challenge for him. If he were interested, I wouldn't say no and if Woodward picked him (like any other choice) I'd be behind him 100% until he gave me reason not to.
  • Doug Pederson - that Tiger Poo site (or whatever the name of it is that always makes me think of a litterbox) says players are being told that 3 current assistants are being retained and that Woodward already has his guy signed. Apparently it's Pederson, who was the Super Bowl winning coach of the Eagles not long ago (2017).

Now, I don't take ANY credence for things that fans who claim they have an "inside source" say. They almost always prove to be incorrect. I would say that this might not even be solid enough to call a "rumor"...take it for what it's worth.

As for Pederson, he's an offensive minded coach (former NFL backup QB) who played college at Louisiana-Monroe when it was 'Northeast Louisiana University' and outside of his career as an NFL coach, he started his coaching career at the Calvary Baptist Academy in Shreveport. So he has some ties to Louisiana.

He is a disciple of Andy Reid who was QB coach at Philly when Donovan McNabb was QB and he followed Reid to KC as his OC before getting hired to be the Eagles HC (replacing Chip Kelly whose UCLA team throttled us).  He only has 4.75 seasons as a HC and is 42-37 overall. 

Again...take it for what it's worth. IMHO, his record as a head coach is kind of thin, but who knows.

Have not seen any other 'fresh ideas' outside of the usual drivel from sports writers.

Take 2, leave 2. 
Pederson is a good one, great offensive mind. Rhule did well at stops, speaking of Baylor, fun to watch Jeff Grimes offense at Baylor. Grimes played college ball with Dirk Koetter and Andy Reid at UTEP. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I reveal my pick for who it's going to be in the podcast. Not who I want per se, but who I think it is gonna be. 

Now if I could only find a signal strong enough to upload to YouTube here in Seadrift TX... ugh

At least Seacrest gives you the lullaby of the surf.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, houtiger said:

Every now and then someone mentions Mark Stoops at Kentucky.  He has build the program up, at a basketball school.  Team plays solid on both sides of the ball.  He seems no nonsense. 

I wouldn't be vehemently opposed, but I'd hate his offense unless he's willing to let an innovative OC (which he doesn't currently have) do his thing. 

It'll be interesting to see if Jeff Traylor's contract extension at UTSA (where Frank Wilson was HC a few years back) will have any effect on the market prices for contracts at major programs.

Though Traylor's contract is somewhere in the neighborhood of only $2.8 million per year, that might have an upward push on contract prices for a program like LSU.

Don't be surprised if our next coach is paid somewhere in the $12 million/year range.

As a JOB, head coaches are way overpaid.  On the other hand, they have left the JOB market and now are in the ENTERTAINMENT market.  Think how Lady Gaga gets paid, and head coaches are underpaid.  I read an article from a Gumps guy and he said about Saban's pay, Saban is the best bargain in college football.  They pay him $8 million a year, and their total revenue went up $40 million a year.  Winning like they do, fans keep buying ticket, consuming at the games, and they buy Gumps gear.  Sales are way us since Saban went there.

I was eating at Pocorellos yesterday, Scott Woodward’s,  Dad and brother were having lunch with us.

Some might remember the Hawks Nest Restaurant in BTR, the owner,  Ray “Big Head” Smith, passed away years ago, his brother Wally was in there eating also. Wally and I got to talk about years ago with his brother. 

If you are ever in BTR on a Friday, Pocorellos is a great stop. Muffulettas, Pasta Dishes, Stuffed Artichokes, too much good stuff. 

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LSUDad said:

I was eating at Pocorellos yesterday, Scott Woodward’s,  Dad and brother were having lunch with us.

Some might remember the Hawks Nest Restaurant in BTR, the owner,  Ray “Big Head” Smith, passed away years ago, his brother Wally was in there eating also. Wally and I got to talk about years ago with his brother. 

If you are ever in BTR on a Friday, Pocorellos is a great stop. Muffulettas, Pasta Dishes, Stuffed Artichokes, too much good stuff. 

Read it all, thought you were gonna drop some scoop on the search lol. 

• Like 1