Gameday Tigers

Future LSU HC

NDTiger

Report: Baylor putting together extension for Dave Aranda

Stephen Samraabout 5 hours
report-baylor-putting-together-extension-for-dave-aranda-bears-lsu-tigers-usc-trojans-florida-gators-washington-huskies Ron Jenkins/Getty Images

Dave Aranda may not be leaving Baylorfor greener pastures. With many connecting him to job openings at LSU, USC and Florida, Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports is reporting that Baylor is planning to extend Aranda.

“Source tells Yahoo Sports that Baylor plans to put together a contract extension for coach Dave Aranda in the upcoming weeks,” tweeted Thamel. “Aranda has made clear — below and otherwise — that he plans to stay at Baylor in this coaching cycle.”

Aranda has returned Baylor to relevance and more in just two seasons, a signature victory over Oklahoma punctuating the job he’s done. Evidently, the former LSU defensive coordinator believes the job isn’t done in Waco.

Earlier on Breaking The Huddle with Joel Klatt, Aranda affirmed his desire to stay with Baylor. As Thamel reports the news of a future extension, it’s evident that it wasn’t simply coach-speak for Baylor’s leader.

23 minutes ago, houtiger said:

It ain't over till it's over!  I would love to see it.  Saban was not a hire of that stature when he came here.  You'd have to go back to Arnsbarger for a hire of such stature.

Arnsparger wasn’t really. Much of the same with Skip. Bob really did pick them. Bottom Line Bob. 

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1

I am not concerned one iota as to who the next LSU head coach will be.

If its Matt Cambell, great. If it is Lincoln Riley, great. If it is Mark Stoops, great.If it is Lane Kiffin, great. If it is Jimbo, great. If it is nobody on anyone's "candidate list", great.  If it is a complete unknown, great.

I trust in Woodward and I trust in LSU the institution. Whoever we hire, will win at least one National Championship within 5 years because that is what we do.

Everyone is way too fixated on the Woodward "swing for the fences" thing to the point that they narrow down who LSU's next hire will be to a very finite and small list of candidates (who happen to be the same list of people written about for every open NCAA head coach position). 

The only thing LSU needs is a hire who is organized and competent to be the adult decision maker in the room instead of the guy who is the best buddy of every player on the team and who is joining them in chasing coeds. That is not to say that the guy needs to be an excellent coach because he definitely needs to be that as well.

The good news is that there is an army of excellent football coaches in the world who can excel as head coach of the LSU Tigers. 

We just may not be contemplating a lot of those guys because they are not the same 5-7 people every sportswriter is pimping as a result of 'sportswriter group think'.

As much as Woodward has built a reputation as a "swing for the fences" guy, he is - more importantly - a competent AD who will make the best hire for the program.

I'm looking forward to being surprised and enjoying the meltdown on other discussion boards. Above all, I'm looking forward to our next National Championship coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herb said:

That's where all the noise came from. His agent was in discussions with someone and people assumed LSU. 

Wrong lol.

Gonna be fun in Vegas in a couple years!

• Like 1