Gameday Tigers

2023 LSU Football Commitments

Herb

I don't recall so much happening is so short a period of time.  BOOM, BOOM, BOOOM, BOOM!!!!

There were several things that led Top247 defensive lineman Dashawn Womack to commit to LSU, which he did last week and announced Monday.

The Baltimore St. Frances prospect had a long-standing relationship with defensive line coach Jamar Cain, had inside knowledge from former St. Frances safety Jordan Toles now with the Tigers and he liked the options on defense.

Still, it was not an easy decision as Womack chose between the Tigers, Georgia, Ole Miss, Oregon and Maryland.

"All the schools were showing so much love," he said. "I felt like home at all of them, at all of the schools."

However, LSU offered a bit more for the No. 13 defensive lineman in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

"It's a big city, and I am from Baltimore, and so there is that," he said. "Also, I felt comfortable and at home when I went down there."

Between Toles, who signed with LSU out of St. Frances in the 2023 class, and the relationship with Cain, who recruited Womack to Oklahoma before he joined coach Brian Kelly's staff at LSU in early January.

"(Toles) said it was real genuine love and good people down there," Womack said. "Me and coach Cain, he's been recruiting me since he was at Oklahoma. So me and him already had the connection, had the relationship."

Fireworks, anyone? Recapping LSU football's important holiday recruiting haul

BR.auburnlsu.100321 0010 bf.jpg
The Eye of the Tiger field logo before the first half at Tiger Stadium Saturday Oct. 2, 2021, in Baton Rouge, La. STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

BR.auburnlsu.100321 0023 bf.jpg
The Eye of the Tiger field logo before the first half at Tiger Stadium Saturday Oct. 2, 2021, in Baton Rouge, La. STAFF PHOTO BY BILL FEIG

Published Jul 4, 2022 at 6:15 pm | Updated Jul 4, 2022 at 6:30 pm

LSU’s major recruiting weekend reached a high point Monday afternoon with three commitments that helped change the tone around the direction of the 2023 class.

The day started with simultaneous announcements by four-star defensive lineman Darron Reed and three-star cornerback Ashton Stamps. Less than three hours later, four-star defensive lineman Dashawn Womack joined the group.

Though largely expected ahead of time, they gave the Tigers 11 commitments so far in this cycle, and nine of them are four-star recruits. With the additions, the class ranking jumped from No. 37 to No. 15 nationally by the end of the Fourth of July, according to 247Sports.

The haul marked a particularly successful weekend for defensive line coach Jamar Cain. Without any top defensive linemen in Louisiana this cycle and in his first year, Cain targeted players he began recruiting at Oklahoma. His national approach brought four of LSU’s six highest-rated prospects so far.

Before the holiday weekend, there was public unease about the first recruiting class under head coach Brian Kelly, especially as many of the top players in Louisiana committed outside the state. But the staff believed that after a month filled with official visits and camps, multiple recruits would commit this week.

The surge started July 1 with four-star Minneapolis edge rusher Jaxon Howard, the No. 96 overall player in the country and LSU’s highest-rated recruit thus far. Four-star Indianapolis edge rusher Joshua Mickens committed two days later. Then Reed and Stamps made their announcement at the same time Monday afternoon.

Reed is a 6-foot-4, 270-pound defensive lineman from Columbus, Georgia. He’s considered the No. 228 overall prospect in the country by the 247Sports Composite, which averages rankings from the major recruiting services, but On3 named him the nation’s No. 29 player. He chose LSU over Ohio State.

“I can see myself being coached down there,” Reed told The Advocate after his official visit. “I love everything that they do down there with the players. I love the fact that Coach (Brian) Kelly is consistent with winning everywhere he's been. That plays a big part in it.”

Stamps, a 6-foot, 170-pound corner from Archbishop Rummel in Metairie, caught LSU’s attention at the summer camps last month. He visited campus multiple times and received a scholarship offer June 17.

Stamps is ranked No. 811 nationally, according to the 247Sports Composite. He became the fourth defensive back in the class along with four-star cornerback Daylen Austin and four-star safeties Michael Daugherty and Ryan Yaites.

With momentum building, Womack marked LSU’s fifth commitment of the weekend as Cain constructed the defensive front. The 6-foot-2, 255-pound prospect is ranked No. 106 in the nation by the 247Sports Composite. He chose LSU over Oregon, Ole Miss, Georgia and Maryland.

Womack became the 11th recruit in the 2023 class. A Baltimore native, his addition continued a national approach. Nine of the 11 commitments are from outside Louisiana, a trend expected to continue this year with most of the state’s top recruits considered out-of-state leans.

The day wasn’t spotless — LSU missed on four-star cornerback Christian Gray, who new cornerbacks coach Robert Steeples coached in high school — but the staff expects more additions in the weeks ahead as LSU builds its recruiting class.

With momentum building, Womack marked LSU’s fifth commitment of the weekend as Cain constructed the defensive front. The 6-foot-2, 255-pound prospect is ranked No. 106 in the nation by the 247Sports Composite. He chose LSU over Oregon, Ole Miss, Georgia and Maryland.

Womack became the 11th recruit in the 2023 class. A Baltimore native, his addition continued a national approach. Nine of the 11 commitments are from outside Louisiana, a trend expected to continue this year with most of the state’s top recruits considered out-of-state leans.

The day wasn’t spotless — LSU missed on four-star cornerback Christian Gray, who new cornerbacks coach Robert Steeples coached in high school — but the staff expects more additions in the weeks ahead as LSU builds its recruiting class.

• Like 1

Ashton Stamps commits to LSU

• by Sonny Shipp

10943605.jpg

One of the new 2023 offers Brian Kelly handed out from camps on the Louisiana front went to Ashton Stamps. It did not take long for the Archbishop Rummel defensive back to jump on board.

In the 6-foot, 175-pound range, Stamps camped in Baton Rouge for the first skills camp on June 5. He returned for the Elite Camp on June 16 and 17 and earned his offer the old-fashioned way.

Stamps, who has experience at corner and safety, entered the camp with offers from Nebraska, Missouri, Tulane, Nicholls and a few smaller schools. The staff matched him up against some of the top receivers at camp, and he routinely locked them up, showing nice footwork and agility to turn and run with them.

• Like 1

LSU the favorite to land this 5-star receiver

Jalen Brown is a 6-foot-1, 170-pound five-star wide receiver from Miami where he plays for Gulliver Prep. Brown recently announced that he cut his list of schools down to a final list of five.

LSU, Texas A&M, Miami, Michigan, and Florida State all made the cut for the talented speedster. Brown is scheduled to announce his commitment on Friday.

Brown would be a huge pickup for Brian Kellyand the Tigers coaching staff. He would be the first five-star on an ever-growing list of commits for the 2023 class. He’d also be the second wide receiver commit.

It seems like LSU is prioritizing speed in their recruiting, class because when you look at guys like Kyle Parker and Brown, both have the speed to burn. You are looking at two athletes that can turn on the afterburners and leave any defense they face in the dust.

• Like 2

eremiah Hughes, 4-star cornerback, commits to LSU Tigers over Arkansas, Utah, Washington

Bishop Gorman High School (Nevada) cornerback Jeremiah Hughes believes LSU gives him the best chance to develop and become an NFL defensive back.

When the LSU Tigers coaching staff was looking for defensive backs in the class of 2023, Bishop Gorman High School (Nevada) four-star cornerback Jeremiah Hughes'name cropped up.

And LSU graduate assistant Nicco Fertitta immediately chimed in, having coached him at Bishop Gorman prior to moving on to the college ranks.

"He told me they were talking about me one day and he was like, 'I know that kid.' They started chopping it up and showed them film of when I was in high school," Hughes said. "They picked up off that and they liked me." 

Fast forward to Thursday and Hughes is the newest addition to LSU's recruiting class, choosing the Tigers over fellow finalists Arkansas, Utah and Washington.

For Hughes, that decision was solidified on his official visit in June, where he saw that LSU checked all of the boxes needed to develop him into a big-time defensive back. 

"I'm going to LSU," he said. "It's the best opportunity for me. I feel like the SEC is where you want to compete if you want to be the best player. If you want to be elite, that's where you go."

Throughout his entire recruitment, Hughes has talked about defensive back development being a huge part of the equation.

Given LSU's lengthy history developing Pro Bowl-caliber defenders at the NFL level, it was a huge mark in its favor.

"It factored in a lot," Hughes said. "Knowing all the DBs that have come through there - Patrick Pete(rson), Derek Stingley - you just want to be a player like them, because they are all playmakers. That's something you want to be to have longevity in the league. I know they'll develop me to be like that." 

Hughes is the 12th commitment in LSU's recruiting class, and the fifth defensive back, joining California four-star cornerback Daylen Austin, Georgia four-star safety Michael Daugherty, Texas four-star safety Ryan Yaites and Louisiana three-star cornerback Ashton Stamps

• Like 2

Trey Holly has rushed for 7,829 yards and 108 touchdowns during his stellar high school career. 

"I can't let you leave."

That's what LSU Tigers coach Brian Kelly told Union Parish High School running back Trey Holly - a key in-state target - during his unofficial visit to campus this spring.

Turns out, Kelly meant it.

On Sunday the nation's No. 2 all-purpose back announced his commitment to LSU, choosing the Tigers over offers from Auburn, Florida State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas A&M, USC and others:

That's a major commitment for Kelly and his coaching staff, as Holly has been one of the nation's most productive ball-carriers over the past few years.

The 5-foot-8, 180-pound back started playing varsity football in the eighth grade, scurrying for more than 800 yards and 10 touchdowns.

As a junior, Holly added 2,633 yards and 33 touchdowns to that total to reach a staggering 7,829 yards and 108 touchdowns during his career. 

This fall, his goal is a 3,000-yard, 50-touchdown season, as well as a third consecutive Louisiana 3A Offensive Player of the Year award. 

Still, Holly is far from satisfied.

“Me personally, I feel there’s a lot I’ve got to work on, add to my game and my bag, to improve my craft," he said, "I’m close, but I’m not there yet. I have to earn it. That’s what keeps me going.”

LSU's 2023 recruiting class consists of five pledges and is rated No. 15 nationally.

It's a group that consists of Holly, Missouri four-star tight end Mac Markway, Texas four-star safety Ryan Yaites, Louisiana four-star wide receiver Omarion Miller and Georgia four-star safety Michael Daugherty

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Jeremiah Hughes is generally rated 3*, I saw one 4* rating.  Ashton Stamps is rated 3*.  I hope these guys know what they are doing.  I think we did very well with the d-line recruits, all 4*.

I’ve seen what Kelly has done over the years. Polian was raised around this, that’s all he knows. They also regrade players once the season starts again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, houtiger said:

Jeremiah Hughes is generally rated 3*, I saw one 4* rating.  Ashton Stamps is rated 3*.  I hope these guys know what they are doing.  I think we did very well with the d-line recruits, all 4*.

I think Jacob Hester was ranked as a 3 star player when he signed with LSU...turned out okay. As I recall, Tyrann Mathieu was also rated as a 3 star player when he signed with LSU...he was regraded to a 4 star later.

Sometimes, nobody knows what the kids have under the hood and in the tank.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Herb said:

I think Jacob Hester was ranked as a 3 star player when he signed with LSU...turned out okay. As I recall, Tyrann Mathieu was also rated as a 3 star player when he signed with LSU...he was regraded to a 4 star later.

Sometimes, nobody knows what the kids have under the hood and in the tank.

That's true Herb!  Another thing we can't tell, but there are some signs that Kelly is bringing in guys with character.  If you want a hard working group that can work together, character helps.  It also can help these kids make their grades so they can stay on the field.  I heard that was a problem in the last bowl game, some kids were ineligible because of academics.

• Like 2

BREAKING: Tigers Gain Commitment From Big-Time Wide Receiver Jalen Brown

The Miami native becomes the Tigers highest rated recruit this cycle, choosing LSU over his hometown Hurricanes

The Tigers are showing no signs of slowing down on the 2023 recruiting trail, landing their biggest commitment of the cycle in five-star wide receiver Jalen Brown. Brown is the seventh commit of July, boosting this class significantly. 

The highly rated wideout became the Tigers 13th pledge in the 2023 class after also adding Bishop Gorman cornerback Jeremiah Hughes Thursday evening. A Miami, Fla. native, Brown has been one of the hottest names on the market, choosing LSU over Miami, Florida State, Michigan and Texas.

With Miami believed to have been the favorite to land the electrifying wideout for much of his recruitment, the Tigers and Brian Kelly went into Florida and stole a big-time playmaker. 

Wide receivers coach Cortez Hankton gets his guy. The blue-chip receiver, who is one of the fastest prospects in the country, said his relationship with Hankton is what ultimately sealed the deal.

At 6-foot-1, 170-pounds, Brown is a quick, high-flying receiver with phenomenal technique to separate himself from defenders. 
Heading into his senior year of high school before making his way to Death Valley, the weight room will be Brown’s best friend as he continues building his body up for the next level.

Brown is a pure athlete and he’s shown that over his high school career. Catching 56 passes for 1,033 yards and 11 touchdowns during his junior season, he proved to be one of the nation’s top wideouts. 

The storm continues with this 2023 class, and like we have said, it is showing no signs of slowing down just yet. Brian Kelly and his staff prepared themselves for a tremendous July on the recruiting trail and fans are now getting to see it come to life. 

"I'm not panicked by the fact that we only have a handful of commitments right now," recruiting coordinator Brian Polian said in April. "I think things will speed up here over the next four to six weeks. We're set up for some summer visits but I feel like we're on pace. The evaluation process has been really thorough and the coaches have been fantastic."

With 13 spots filled, the Tigers still have room to work with as they continue assembling their 2023 class. Already signing a number of program changing prospects, Kelly and his staff still have their eyes on a few game changers, including another receiver in five-star Baton Rouge native Shelton Sampson Jr. 

• Like 1

That was a mighty quick catch-up!  I think with 13 commits, this class is where it usually is in July.  Usually they drib in during the spring and did not this year, but I don't recall such a big explosion in July like this year.  Now we get to concentrate on the final 12.  It should be interesting.  I think Walker Howard at QB may limit our ability to sign a top QB, but i don't think it would hurt the team much if we miss this year (and Nuss is just going to be a soph).  We need some o-line and LB, probably another CB.  I think we're set at RB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, houtiger said:

I think Walker Howard at QB may limit our ability to sign a top QB, but i don't think it would hurt the team much if we miss this year (and Nuss is just going to be a soph).  

I don’t see us not signing a QB in this class. 
I agree, the last number of spots, going to enjoy seeing who they bring in. Getting the top 5 player in a number of states, that has really been what this staff needed. It’s far from over. 

• Like 1

I agree with both @LSUDad and @houtiger that I don't see us signing a QB in this class. We might add depth at that position through a preferred walk-on, though.

We'll probably need a tier 1 QB in the 2024 class, though.

Our biggest need in this class right now is on the OL. The good news is that this is where CBK has historically excelled in developing (both OL and TE), so I feel that this will be addressed in the coming weeks.

Seeing Polian say "The evaluation process has been really thorough", brings great comfort and reinforces what @houtiger has highlighted multiple times lately that we're signing kids with character and intelligence.

I also can't help but think that some of the Louisiana kids that LSU "missed" on because they are interested in maximizing NIL deals might transfer back to LSU after a couple of years via the portal (assuming no significant rule changes).

• Like 1

This Jalen Brown, wide receiver from Florida, is a 5* real hot rod.  I heard that Kelly had not signed a 5* receiver at ND in the last 10 years.  His first recruiting class, he signs one.  I think this is WHY he was willing to make the move to LSU.  What is interesting is that his first 5* is not a La. kid.

The top 2 o-line recruits in La. are Zalance Heard from Neville and Tyree Adams from St. Aug.  Both are ranked in the top 16 players in the state.  Heard is a 4* and On3 rates him 97% to LSU.  Adams is also a 4* and is 88% lean to LSU at On3.com.  That is encouraging for getting some La. kids on the team.

• Like 1

3. Brian Kelly and the LSU staff won the month of July in recruiting and the Tigers are not done yet.

Jalen Brown

Jalen Brown

Gorney’s take: FACT. Brian Kelly was hired by LSU on Nov. 29 and the first commitment in the Tigers’ class did not come until four-star tight end 

nearly four months later. It was definitely a methodical, calculated approach by Kelly to hire a staff, hire some heavyweight recruiters, build up the staff and then go out and sell the LSU program. It has worked incredibly well as the Tigers have basically touched every corner of the country to land recruits whether tapping Midwest contacts, going to the Mid-Atlantic, going West or staying in the recruiting hotbed of the Southeast. Kelly is clearly a winner and now he’s selling guys on his program before he’s ever coached a game in the SEC.

Boudwin’s take: FACT. LSU ended the month of June with a total of six commitments in the 2023 class and since then the Tigers have doubled that number. Brian Kelly & Co. have pulled in seven 2023 pledges and one in 2024 in the first nine days of July with a handful more expected to come throughout the month. The Tigers landed perhaps their biggest commitment thus far Friday afternoon when Rivals100 receiver 

picked LSU over Florida State, Miami, Michigan and Texas A&M.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, houtiger said:

This Jalen Brown, wide receiver from Florida, is a 5* real hot rod.  I heard that Kelly had not signed a 5* receiver at ND in the last 10 years.  His first recruiting class, he signs one.  I think this is WHY he was willing to make the move to LSU.  What is interesting is that his first 5* is not a La. kid.

The top 2 o-line recruits in La. are Zalance Heard from Neville and Tyree Adams from St. Aug.  Both are ranked in the top 16 players in the state.  Heard is a 4* and On3 rates him 97% to LSU.  Adams is also a 4* and is 88% lean to LSU at On3.com.  That is encouraging for getting some La. kids on the team.

Can't wait to see Boutte, Malik Nabors, and Jalen Brown all line up on a play.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 7:12 AM, Herb said:

I agree with both @LSUDad and @houtiger that I don't see us signing a QB in this class. We might add depth at that position through a preferred walk-on, though.

We'll probably need a tier 1 QB in the 2024 class, though.

Our biggest need in this class right now is on the OL. The good news is that this is where CBK has historically excelled in developing (both OL and TE), so I feel that this will be addressed in the coming weeks.

Seeing Polian say "The evaluation process has been really thorough", brings great comfort and reinforces what @houtiger has highlighted multiple times lately that we're signing kids with character and intelligence.

I also can't help but think that some of the Louisiana kids that LSU "missed" on because they are interested in maximizing NIL deals might transfer back to LSU after a couple of years via the portal (assuming no significant rule changes).

You should sign a QB in every class, that’s my opinion. I texted an OC, who’s coached within the SEC, he has the same train of thought. I asked about if he would sign one in every class, his reply:

”Yes. The cream will rise to the top.”

We will always have WalkOns at that position, due to the number of WR, TE, RB’s you always need arms. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, LSUDad said:

You should sign a QB in every class, that’s my opinion. I texted an OC, who’s coached within the SEC, he has the same train of thought. I asked about if he would sign one in every class, his reply:

”Yes. The cream will rise to the top.”

We will always have WalkOns at that position, due to the number of WR, TE, RB’s you always need arms. 

We did sign one in the portal, Jayden Daniels. He was in for Spring. 

Looking like recruiting keeps going well, some word, OL might make a run soon. There are three good ones in the state, let’s see how that ends up. 

The other thing, some seem to think many of the out of state players, will not make it to BTR. Kelly did a great job of bringing in players from all over the US to ND. Not saying we won’t lose any, but as always, you wait to see how this one plays out. 

The last couple years, LSU has not seemed like DBU, to that extent, the entire Defense has taken a step back. Can Kelly get some of this back, I think he can. 

The first game against Fla St will give us some idea.