Gameday Tigers

2023 LSU Football Commitments

Herb

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

I got a bunch of stories, most are true! 😂 

Here’s one you might enjoy, a true story, Ronnie was on the staff at Rice. I happened to be listening to the conversation when Ronnie was hired at Rice. 

https://buffalonews.com/news/true-survivor-ronnie-vinklarek-accepts-no-excuses-for-himself-or-his-brothers-on-his-path/article_484e2f10-f5df-578f-bc8d-98fee8ef265e.html

https://www.maizenbrew.com/michigan-football-recruiting/2022/11/3/23432517/michigan-wolverines-football-recruiting-commitment-dj-chester-lsu-2023-class-sherrone-moore-visit

2023 four-star OL DJ Chester commits to LSU over Michigan, others

It was worth the effort.

By Von Lozon@von_lozon   

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: OCT 08 Michigan at IndianaPhoto by Joe Robbins/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Jim Harbaugh, Sherrone Moore and the Michigan Wolverines did their best to secure a commitment from one of the top remaining offensive linemen in the 2023 class, but they came up just short. Announced Thursday morning, four-star offensive lineman DJ Chester has committed to Brian Kelly and the LSU Tigers.

The massive 6-foot-5, 300-pound prospect from McDonough, Georgia put Michigan in his top six list immediately following his official visit last weekend for the MSU game, along with LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, Auburn, Florida State and Florida A&M. He also announced his commitment date while releasing his top six list, so it appeared Michigan was in good standing considering he was just coming off that visit.

But at the end of the day, it was clear Michigan was on the outside looking in for Chester. Michigan was the only school not in the south on his top list, and distance/weather also seemed to be play a role for him.

Moore and company will now turn their attention to a few other offensive linemen in the 2023 class. Four-stars Caleb Lomu and Spencer Fano both took official visits for the MSU game as well; Fano locked in a commitment date of Dec. 6 while it is unclear when exactly Lomu will pull the trigger on his commitment.

Three-star Nathan Efobi, who took an official visit to Michigan back in September, is also an option. However, his recruitment has been pretty quiet as of late, so it’s unclear if Michigan is pushing hard for him at the moment.

As always, stick with Maize n Brew for ongoing developments for Michigan football recruiting as the 2023 class’ early signing period draws closer by the day.

• Like 2

LSU lands one of the top remaining offensive linemen in the 2023 class

BR.lsuolemiss.102322 HS 2606.JPG

LSU passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach Cortez Hankton, left, and LSU offensive line coach Brad Davis speak with players on the field in the first half between the Tigers and the Rebels, Saturday, October 22, 2022, on the campus of LSU in Baton Rouge, La.

STAFF PHOTO BY HILARY SCHEINUK

One of the top uncommitted offensive linemen left in the country picked LSU on Thursday morning, further strengthening the Tigers' 2023 offensive line class.

DJ Chester, a four-star recruit from Eagles Landing Christian Academy in Georgia, committed in a ceremony at his school. He chose the Tigers over Florida State, Michigan, Ole Miss, Auburn and Florida A&M.

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound prospect is considered the No. 138 overall player in the country, according to the 247Sports composite. He was the second-highest rated offensive lineman still available.

With Chester on board, LSU's class rose to No. 4 in the country, according to 247Sports, with about seven weeks until the early signing period. The Tigers have 24 players in the class.

• Like 2

Top247 OL DJ Chester commits to LSU

BySTEVE WILTFONG 

McDonough (Ga.) Eagles Landing Christian Academy Top247 offensive tackle DJ Chester announced his commitment to LSU during a live broadcast on the 247Sports YouTube Channel on Thursday morning.

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound Chester chose to play for Brian Kelly and the Tigers over his other finalists in Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida State, Michigan and Florida A&M.

Chester took his official visit to Baton Rouge back in June, a tone-setting trip for the rest of his recruitment.

“When I took my official visit it really felt like home,” Chester said. “That place felt like home. I didn’t want to leave.”

Offensive line coach Brad Davis led the charge in recruiting Chester who is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation’s No. 7 offensive tackle and No. 55 prospect overall.

“Coach Davis is an amazing coach, another father figure,” Chester said. “I can trust that man with my life.”

Chester is commit No. 24 for Kelly and his staff in the 2023 recruiting class, adding to a haul that rises three spots to No. 4 in the 247Sports Composite class rankings. This is a particularly good offensive line class with Chester joining Zalance Heard, Tyree Adams and Paul Mubenga.

“We’re building something special,” Chester said. “The class of 2023 is going to take over.”

Chester also hit it off with Kelly.

“He’s a great coach, he’s a great dude,” Chester said.

Chester will play in the All-American Bowl following his senior season. He will also do track and field at LSU.

247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks gave Chester high marks in his scouting report.

“Owns the requisite height, frame, and mass to remain outside or move to guard and compete at a high level,” Brooks wrote. “Possesses an excellent multi-sport profile. Has participated in basketball and posted terrific throws data. Georgia Class A Private state champion in shot put and discus as a sophomore, placing second in both events as a junior (with even better numbers).

Plays with noteworthy effort and violence. Natural drive-blocker whose size and functional strength overwhelm smaller targets. Regularly takes blocks to the ground as a finisher with conviction. Run-game mauler with traits to translate those qualities to high-major level.40COMMENTS

Owns the tools to become a very good pass protector, regardless of alignment. Relatively quick-footed considering build / mass with ability to engage multiple assailants in pass-blocking situations. Agility also translates to pulling and second-level timing, accompanied by burgeoning punch power.

“One of the top offensive line prospects in the always loaded state of Georgia. Projects as a high-major offensive lineman, whether at tackle or guard, with the potential to become a multi-year starter and an early-round NFL Draft ceiling.”

• Like 1

DJ Chester, 4-star 2023 OT, announces SEC commitment

DJ Chester, 4-star 2023 OT, announces SEC commitment

DJ Chester is taking his talents to the bayou. The blue-chip offensive lineman out of Georgia announced his commitment to LSU on Thursday morning.

Chester picked up 34 scholarship offers in his recruitment. He narrowed it down to 6 finalists, committing to Brian Kelly’s program over Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida State, Florida A&M and Michigan.

During his commitment announcement, Chester said that LSU felt the most like home. He also said he looks forward to the track and field opportunities at LSU, in addition to playing football.

Chester is listed at 6-5, 300 pounds. On the 247Sports Composite, Chester is rated 4-stars, the No. 10 Georgia recruit, No. 13 offensive tackle and No. 138 prospect overall in the class of 2023.

Chester checked out an LSU game this fall.

Chester’s junior-season highlights can be viewed below, via Hudl:

PUBLISHED BY
Andrew Olson 

• Like 1

Commitment Breakdown: Four-star OG DJ Chester to LSU

Georgia 2023 OL DJ Chester verbally commits to the LSU Tigers

Georgia 2023 OL DJ Chester verbally commits to the LSU Tigers (Rivals)
wrzzeqsore3ecl4l0dhz
Ryan Wright • Rivals.com
National Recruiting Analyst

LSU-300.png
scgwun52ksxfdh2sxtk6

Powerhouse college football teams keep applying the pressure on one another with big wins on the recruiting trail. Thursday morning, it was LSU scooping up versatile 2023 four-star offensive lineman 

DJ Chester. 

WHAT LSU IS GETTING 

The Tigers have landed a prototypical Power Five interior offensive lineman in Chester. The added bonus, with Eagles Landing Christian Academy Chester anchors the line at right tackle. Expect Chester to start in the interior with LSU potentially working his way to right tackle as his game and strength evolves in Baton Rouge. 

WHAT MAKES CHESTER DIFFERENT 

Taking on Georgia 2A competition, Chester routinely overwhelms defenders with his size in the run and passing attack. His kick-step with his pass pro is good and consistent with solid hand placement patiently waiting for ends or linebackers to test his punch. Down blocking or sealing the edge is a strength for Chester. Once in LSU’s strength and conditioning program, and under the guidance of offensive line coach Brad Davis, Chester should flourish at LSU working to be an impact player earlier in his playing career than later. 

WHY THIS IS BIG FOR LSU 

Among four-star offensive guards left on Rivals’ positional rankings, with Chester gone only Indiana’s William Spencer remains available. Within the three-star prospects, only Texas’ Isaiah Kema is up for grabs. Landing Chester is significant this late in the game and with very few available players on recruiting boards. The commitment also kept Chester away from Michigan, Ole Miss, and Florida State. 

Teams with dreams of wining conference titles and earning a playoff berth must win in the trenches, and that is what LSU is doing in the 2023 class. Coach Davis now has three four-stars, Tyree Adams, Zalance Heard, and Chester along with three-star Paul Mubenga, heading to Baton Rouge. This class is setting up to be a foundation for head coach Brian Kelly in the SEC for years to come.

• Like 1

Dandy Don site this AM said the 25 scholly limit does not apply this year, only the 85 total on scholly.  He expects we will take close to 30 high school kids, and save room for 3 or 4 transfers.  We have to consider Sr.'s leaving, plus juniors going to NFL like Kayshon.

• Like 1

Dylan Carpenter commits to LSU

By Mike Scarborough
November 6, 2022

It's been a whirlwind recruiting process for class of 2023 defensive end Dylan Carpenter‍ of St. Amant.  He's been committed to another school for months but now after weeks of substantial conversations with the LSU coaching staff, he's now a Tiger.

As first reported by TigerBait Saturday night, Carpenter received a LSU scholarship offer from Brian Kelly before the Tigers kicked off their overtime winning game with Alabama.

“It was great meeting with coach Kelly. He seems like an amazing person and I can’t wait to get to know him and the rest of the staff,” Carpenter said. “We talked about education, football, family and just how I would fit into their program. Once he offered, my parents and I couldn’t wipe the smile off our faces for the rest of the night.”

It didn’t take Carpenter long to call Brian Kelly up and let him know he was committed.  Less than 24 hours to be exact, but first he had to call the coaches at UL-Lafayette where he’s been committed since July.  

“I love the UL staff, but It’s been a dream of mine to play at LSU. Once LSU offered, it was a no-brainer that I was going to play for them,” Carpenter told TigerBait.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Ascension Parish product was named District 5-5A Defensive MVP and the Ascension Parish Defensive MVP.

With Carpenter’s pledge, LSU now has 25 commitments for the class of 2023.

“This has been my dream to play for LSU since I was little,” Carpenter said. “The Saint Amant community is so close and I’m sure that most of them will be very excited to see a Saint Amant gator go on to play football for LSU.”

Carpenter and his St. Amant Gayturds (28) will travel to face Zachary (5) in the first round of the Division 1 (non-select) playoffs this week.

• Like 1

Brian Kelly shares philosophy on transfer portal, how it'll be used at LSU

ByGLEN WEST Nov 16, 11:01 AM

LSU is in the most crucial part of its season and has gotten to be where it is in year one largely because of the offseason work Brian Kelly and company did in recognizing the right fits with the program, and bringing those players in. 

The Tigers signed 15 freshmen in the 2022 class, many of whom have established key roles on this team already. But it’s the impact of the 15 transfer portal players as well that have been needed in this year one of the purple and gold rebuild. 

While the impact has been felt in key positions like the secondary, the offensive line and of course at quarterback, this isn’t the strategy that Kelly views as a long term fix to getting this program back on the right track. This was much more of a talent accumulation with a mix of both quality and quantity this past offseason in the portal than how Kelly ideally wants to operate in the future.

“I don’t know that anybody wants to develop their program strictly through the portal. It’s still about player development, still about knowing the guys and building them through the culture of your program. You can [build through the portal] but you can also fall flat if you make some mistakes.”

You can already see it in how LSU is building long term through freshmen as the 2023 class currently has 25 commitments and is No. 4 in the country in class rankings, with several other high profile freshmen firmly on the radar as the December signing period draws closer. Recruiting director Steve Wiltfong recently indicated this transfer portal class is expected to be deep in talent when it opens back up on Dec. 5 for players to enter their names. 

It’ll be up to the Tigers to balance their priorities in terms of positions of need and being a bit more selective on the players they bring in this go around to sand the edges of this roster for next season. 

6COMMENTS

“The base has to be through player development and development through freshmen, developing your program, getting the right standards set,” Kelly said. “Then you can bring in guys because they are going to assimilate to the culture that’s been built. You don’t want the transfer portal and a number of those guys to set the culture because they don’t know what it is and it takes too long. I think the transfer portal is great but it’s great if you top the tank off with it and fill in some needed positions but have the base of your program built through freshman recruiting.”

This year’s transfer portal class will be very interesting to keep up with as many programs in the SEC haven’t met expectations this year and the allure of a team like LSU that is seemingly on the rise should make the Tigers key factors in many top portal entrants.

• Like 1

LSU commit Dashawn Womacks lands 5-star rating from On3

Billy Embodyabout 1 hour
lsu-commit-dashawn-womacks-lands-5-star-rating-on3 5-star LSU commit Dashawn Womack. (Billy Embody - On3)

There’s now a third five-star committed to LSU for the 2023 recruiting class, according to On3. Baltimore (Md.) St. Frances Academy EDGE Dashawn Womack is now a five-star in the latest On300 update released Monday. 

Womack rose up into five-star territory earlier this year and now is the No. 22 overall prospect in the country. On3 saw too much from the Under Armour All-American to keep him off the five-star board, even in a class that features Keon Keeley, Damon Wilson, Adepoju Adebawore and others.

“Dashawn Womack was on the cusp of getting his fifth star in the last update,” On3 director of scouting Charles Power said. “We just wanted to see a little more and the competition at the EDGE position is pretty tight. I think it remains tight as one of the deepest positions in the cycle. It’s a pretty high bar for a new EDGE prospect to be a five-star. I think it’s notable that we felt good enough about Womack to watch him as a senior, to make him a five-star right now before all-star games.”

LSU landed a commitment from Womack on July 4 over Georgia, Ole Miss, Oregon and others. He’s now On3’s 4th-ranked EDGE and No. 1 player in Maryland.

LSU landed a commitment from Womack on July 4 over Georgia, Ole Miss, Oregon and others. He’s now On3’s 4th-ranked EDGE and No. 1 player in Maryland.

“Elite athlete in the camp setting who shows serious juice and power coming off the edge. Ran an electronically-timed 4.76 40, jumped a 30” vertical and 9’9” broad jump at 250 pounds in the spring prior to his senior season. Has the potential to kick inside on pass rush in a 4-down front and will most likely develop into a strong-side end or 4i depending on the scheme.

“Possesses raw power and athleticism. Has the power to shock players at the line of scrimmage. Handsy player that does an outstanding job initiating contact with his length. High upside player that could develop into a game-wrecker at the next level if he can tune his pass rush arsenal.”

• Like 2

LSU now Leads the Country with Three five-star Commits.

NOVEMBER 22, 2022
SHARES

Before the release, LSU had two five-stars in the class with OL Zalance Heard and WR Shelton Sampson Jr.. They’re now joined by DL Dashawn Womack, who earned his fifth star and now ranks 22nd overall.

It’s a contrast to the 247Sports Composite and ESPN rankings, where LSU doesn’t have a single five-star. In both the 247 and ESPN rankings, Sampson remains LSU’s top recruit but has yet to pick up a five-star.

Heard is LSU’s top recruit according to the On3 rankings, coming in slightly above Sampson. Regardless, LSU’s overall class ranks sits in the top five per On3 and 247.

LSU could add another five-star in the coming months, with Desmond Ricks’ recruitment heating up and nearing a close.

Outside of Ricks, I wouldn’t bet on LSU picking up five other stars in this cycle. Many of them are already committed and there’s not much smoke there with anyone else.

• Like 2

LSU Loses Commitment From 4-Star DL Darron Reed

Reed, a big piece to the Tigers' 2023 recruiting class, flips his commitment from LSU to Auburn.

Darron Reed has flipped his commitment from LSU to Auburn. The 4-star defensive lineman from Georgia, who was a huge piece to the Tigers’ 2023 recruiting class, announced the decision Friday afternoon via Twitter.

A Columbus, Ga. native, Reed is an under the radar prospect in the state that is exploding with talent in his class. Upon his commitment to LSU on July 4th, Auburn and Ohio State were heavily in the mix with Auburn ultimately keeping their foot on the gas until Early Signing Day.

At 6-foot-4, 270-pounds, Reed is already built for the next level, but will make advancements in his technique and strength as he prepares for the college game. 

The Tigers’ 2023 recruiting class is still stocked with talent at the defensive line position. Of course losing a player of Reed’s caliber is a major blow, but the depth this unit attains for the foreseeable future is still promising.

McGohan has LSU high with official visit approaching

By Preston Guy
December 6, 2022

Tweet

Less than a week after receiving an offer from LSU, tight end Jackson McGohan‍ has decommitted from Cincinnati and opened up his recruiting process with just a few days before early signing day on December 21. 

Jackson Mcgohan (@jackson_mcgohan) 2023 TE 3 star who is currently committed to the University of Cincinnati will be in Baton Rouge next weekend on an official visit and he says “I’m excited as ever to go and visit. I have heard nothing but good things about BR”

• Like 1