Gameday Tigers

California Wildfires and Fishhead

Fishhead

Tomorrow morning at 7am I'm boarding a plane for northern California.  I have 10 total loss fires to address, and have actually already begun by making contact with these devastated people.  I've been able to access photos from CalFire online and it's exactly as I expected.  Total destruction, nothing left.  

It's interesting because on that map, there will be 20+ houses in a row completely flattened and nothing but ash remains.  Then there will be ONE where maybe the paint on the fascia is bubbled and the house is sooty from all the fire and smoke.  

I don't know why this kind of thing happens, and regardless what some folks think, now is not the time to point fingers or admonish in the press.  Now is the time to come to the absolute rescue of an entire town.  I've worked this type of event once.  It was and still remains the most difficult, depressing, and REWARDING thing I've ever done.  This one will be even moreso for multiple reasons. 

1) I have more claims, 100% of them are total burns as they are called.
2) Although there was total devastation last time I worked here (2015), there was amazingly 1 casualty...a hero firefighter. Obviously, this one is strikingly different in that aspect.  

I have talked to many people today and it's amazing that some of them "can't wait to meet you" and just seem to be going on with life.  Several were at WORK when I called.  But there were of course those who just lost it during the conversation.  As did I at that point.  

This is tough.  Keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I know you will.  But more importantly, these people need the same and more.  The stories I heard today were similar to last time..."we had 10 minutes, grabbed some clothes and left".  Ten minutes.  Nothing like a hurricane.  More like a tornado, but I've worked both and I gotta tell you, there's NOTHING like the devastation left behind by a raging inferno.  

Death is in the air there in Paradise, CA.  It's so horribly depressing...but I have a job to do.  And I will do my best, I promise that. 

In the meantime, there's stuff here that needs to be done.  I've discussed with Nootch and he will be providing the game topic for tomorrow's game.  I hope I'm able to see or at least listen to the game.  Who knows?  May even end up in chat.  But obviously won't have time to complete the game topic tomorrow.  I have no idea what next week holds either, so if he does a decent job, we'll let him finish out the regular season with the TAMU game as well.  

Y'all cheer loud and hard for the Tigers!

Fish

Many of the fatalities in this fire have essentially been cremated where they fell.  This is how hot this fire has been.  I have a heartbreaking feeling that most of those that are missing will never be found and ultimately rules dead by presumption.

15 minutes ago, Herb said:

Many of the fatalities in this fire have essentially been cremated where they fell.  This is how hot this fire has been.  I have a heartbreaking feeling that most of those that are missing will never be found and ultimately rules dead by presumption.

I'm not gonna lie... my biggest concern is...

1) one of my insureds lost a family member

2) I find a body/ bones amidst the rubble

Scared to death

• 3 weeks later...

So some may not realize, but as an independent adjuster, the expenses I incur are the cost of doing business. Fortunately, I am compensated based on the amount of the claims I close, so it's usually worth it financially. 

That said, in this event, I have been here a month and have only had access to inspect 3 claims. The other zones have been off limits the whole time. So in the interest of stopping the hemorrhage of cash, we headed home yesterday, with intentions to come back when the other zones open. 

We were going to take a detour though. Or two or three...

I'll post pics of detour one shortly, but...

After one night of the trip home, I awoke to a text alert on my phone...

ALL zones open starting tomorrow...

So back I go. 

But not until...

9 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Damn our country is amazingly beautiful

It damn sure is!  Even places that most people find boring (like the farmlands of Nebraska) I find beautiful.

Is that first one a pic of King's Canyon?  Kings and Sequoia are the only 2 parks I still need to see in Cali.

1 hour ago, Herb said:

Is that first one a pic of King's Canyon?  Kings and Sequoia are the only 2 parks I still need to see in Cali.

That is the castle rocks spires as seen while traveling up the generals highway. Moro rock to the left quite a bit. 

20181215_212246.jpg

20181215_132541.jpg

I have all my inspections scheduled, will be inspected out Wednesday and HEADED HOME THURSDAY!!

Today, we took our time getting back up to Norcal, visiting Kern River.  If you don't follow Merle Haggard's music, 

1) What's wrong with you??  You should!

2) Listen to "Kern River"

I can attest Merle's description is accurate.  "It's not deep nor wide, but it's a mean piece of river, my friend". 

And it's incredibly beautiful!!  Pics to follow...wish I could post videos here, but I don't have time to figure it out right now

Archived