Gameday Tigers

Gumbo Time

LSUDad

C’est tout, Chicken, Tasso, Andouille and Green Onion Sausage Gumbo. Got to make a stop at Bergerons in Port Allen. Couldn’t remember if they closed at 2 or 3. Got there at 2:30, but they let me in and I got to do a little shopping. 

Also picked up Stuffed Taters and Dirty Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For all the gumbo cooks out there, what kind of chicken do you buy?  I know, a dead one...🙂  But, I made gumbo for years using whatever I saw first.  I guess these were fryers, young, and the chicken would fall apart in the pot.  My mother (RIP!) told me to try a hen, an older bird with firmer meat.  She said the flavor would be better also, and she was right.  The only ones I see in Houston are frozen, takes 2 days in the fridge to thaw it out so I can cut it up (I confess I end up with some pieces that are not identifiable after I'm through, but it does not affect the flavor!).  The texture of the cooked meat is excellent!

Does everyone already know about this?

• 9 months later...

The weather finally turned cold here in Atlanta, and we decided it was time for a good seafood gumbo, just in time for the LSU whippin' of the Turds ......

Used my Dad's family recipe, went early Saturday am to the Dekalb Farmers Market to get all the fresh seafood and the andouille sausage, as well as all the fresh herbs and spices  ..... freshness makes all the difference. Made a double-batch and sent everyone home with a couple of quarts leftover for Sunday dinner.  What a game, and what a gumbo 🙂

As much as I enjoyed the beatdown of the Tide, ... I enjoyed the gumbo even more.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 10:28 AM, houtiger said:

My mother (RIP!) told me to try a hen,

Yes lots of people in south Louisiana do that. You have to cook a hen for quite a while to get it cooked and tender though. A fryer takes much less time but you are correct if you let it go too long you have shredded chicken soup.  I like to use smoked sausage when I cook any kind of gumbo with seafood in it. For chicken, I like fresh pork and specifically "chaurice" sausage.  However, I found a place near here, Poche's, that makes smoked chaurice sausage. Used it in a shrimp and crab gumbo recently and that will be by go to seafood gumbo sausage from now on. What I especially liked is that it did not have a heavy smoke flavor and instead you could still taste the flavor of the pork and other seasonings.

Edited by Hatchertiger
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I like a number of hot sauces, this one I like the best. While in NOLA last Month, I stopped in at the main office.  Paul was the first to do Blackened Redfish. Paul was Executive Chef At Commanders Palace, soon after opening his own restaurant, he appointed Emeril Lagasse to take over as Executive Chef at Commanders Palace.

9FFD93C8-5CC8-4169-97A0-F0D5B8F72DFF.thumb.jpeg.c2a66126b552996af29726322e40bdde.jpeg

3962DF1A-B399-415A-A894-4F1811D13709.thumb.jpeg.59fb0f921b518603ec471df9c2c8f7c6.jpeg

Edited by LSUDad
  • Like 1