Gameday Tigers

Taking Better Care of myself.

Nutriaitch

so lot of you here actually know me personally.  

and well, let’s just say i don’t exactly take the best care of myself. Going back into my youth even, i’ve never given my health a second thought.  

which is why i’m pretty beat to hell now. other than minor inconvenience really ain’t that bad. 

until Thursday 1/3/19. 

i had a heart attack. at 40 years old. 

scary thing is, i had NONE of the classic symptoms. zero. 

i just suddenly felt like i was going to pass out. then started sweating profusely. 

and i didn’t feel “right”.

thabkfully a co-worker talked me into getting check out. or else i probably wouldn’t have. because my spell or whatever you call it did not last long. 

but i had complete blockage in one artery and had an emergency angiogram that night. 

2 more arteries will need stints in about a month or so once the stress from this one heals a bit. 

• Like 1

Nootch, I had one at 42 - really woke me up! I'm 67 now - so I'm proof that you can recover and lead normal (?) life. When it happened to me I was really scared. I thought, "Oh, great - now I've got a bad ticker - I'll never be able to do the stuff I like". But that wasn't true. Follow your doc's advice. Take care of yourself - and don't get down! After you get the stents, you'll feel a LOT better. When I got my first one I was surprised how much better I felt - didn't know I had been feeling so bad until I started to feel so good!  

• Like 1

it was an eye opener. 

and i really just need to cleanup my lifestyle a bit. 

i tried living like i was going to be 18 forever and just be able to bounce back from anything.  

and now i’ve had my wake up call that i can’t do that anymore. 

so ive given up smoking. haven’t had a drink yet either. and am changing my diet. 

having a doctor tell my family (in front of my sons) that i probably wouldn’t have made it through the night without my procedure kinda shook me a bit. 

this ain’t gonna be easy, but nothing worth doing ever is. 

the hard part is i is i just started a new job a month ago. 

missed time (and pay) due to Thanksgiving, then Christmas, then New Year, and now i’m out at least a week with this. 

hoping they don’t replace me, because well i gotta work. 

• Like 2

Glad you are ok, I too like to live like I’m 18. My kids push me on what to eat. I can say, I’ve lost a little over 13 lbs. Last check, my Cholesterol was at 150. Not easy for someone who loves to eat and drink.

Continued success to you my friend. Glad this was caught, some never get a second chance. 

10 hours ago, Fishhead said:

I could SOOO throw you out from short. Probably strike your ass out too. You old bastage!

Y'all chill, I already knew about his spell and told him the remedy.

GEAUX FISHING MORE OFTEN!!

if i stopped to tie my shoes, you’d have a chance at throwing me out. 

and only way you striking me out if if i was blindfolded. 

• Like 2

nootch, i am close enough now, i am gonna have to come down and kick your ass if you don't take care of yourself!

i stepped away from the forum to tend to real life matters and take down time and had no idea. thank you to PM for cluing me in that you weren't right. i mean, we've always known you aren't right, but damn! that's taking it too far.

listen to the drs and the mrs. you may be a pain in the ass, but you are our pain in the ass and we want you around for a long while!

• Like 4

On 1/14/2019 at 8:03 PM, Nutriaitch said:

so i was cleared today to be return to work. still no lifting over 30#s. 

and ive lost 10pounds in about a week and a half. 

Congrats on the clearance.

Now can I come down and kick your ass just for the hell of it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, houtiger said:

I haven't checked this forum in a while, but Nootch, I hope you are feeling better.  Sounds like you are taking the correct steps!

i’m living in absolute hell

i haven’t smoked or drank since. (3 weeks today).  which in and of itself is/was difficult, but i’m doing well with it and think i have it just about handled. 

but the diet?!?

oh my god, just shoot me. 

i can eat any of the stuff i want to eat.  and the shyte i can eat does not even come close to filling me up.

so i basically walking around hungry as fornicate all day long. 

13 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

i haven’t smoked or drank since. (3 weeks today).  which in and of itself is/was difficult, but i’m doing well with it and think i have it just about handled. 

but the diet?!?

oh my god, just shoot me. 

i can eat any of the stuff i want to eat.  and the shyte i can eat does not even come close to filling me up.

so i basically walking around hungry as fornicate all day long. 

My Dad gave up smoking and drinking (not at the same time) later in life than you are.  When he could clearly see that the negative affects cost him much more than the enjoyment he got from it, he quit.

I asked him what the biggest benefit of stopping smoking was (he had gotten emphysema), he said it was getting his taste buds back.  He said he enjoyed his veggies much more, like corn on the cob or fresh cooked beans and peas out of the field, which we got out in the country.  He said it took a couple of months to begin to taste his food better, but the good news was that it continued to improve for a year.  Even simple things like a glass of milk tasted better.

If you can eat beans and such, I have been enjoying a bag of navy beans cooked with a chopped onion, can of petite diced tomatoes, and a cubed ham steak.  Pretty tasty, and from what I read, should be healthy (I used to eat over rice but nowadays I am skipping the rice).  It has the added advantage of making a lot, and being cheap, like $2 for a lb. of beans and $5 for a ham steak.  Let me see, cheap, tastes good, reasonably healthy, and makes a lot, nothing to not like about that.  I also do lentil stew with tomato paste, carrots and some browned ground beef.  Tons of recipes on the net.

Your efforts are admirable, and I know all on the forum are pulling for you!  Keep up the good work!

• Like 2