Gameday Tigers

Countdown to LSU football

dachsie

DurelMatherne.gif

Durel Matherne was a QB on the 1958 national championship team.  He played most of the bowl game vs. Clemson when Warren Rabb broke his hand in the first quarter.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_c78cbea6-331d-11ea-b177-eb324932d0b6.html

Here is photo from the game:

GettyImages_1131236918.jpg

LSU’s famed All-American Billy Cannon (20)gets an assist by way of a block thrown by fullback J.W. Brodnax (40) on Clemson’s Sam Anderson and picks up 7 yards around end in the third period of the Sugar Bowl. Durel Matherne (16), LSU’s quarterback comes to help. (Photo by Bettmann Archive/Getty Images) Bettmann Archive

SIDENOTE:  Can you imagine those facemasks in today's game?

Edited by Hatchertiger

15 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

11 - Bradie James

Bradie_James.jpg

Quick story on Bradie James. My friend Lee Brecheen was having an awards banquet at Hooters in BTR. I was sitting with a few friends and Billy Cannon. In the audience was the Michigan coach that was recruiting James. James went up to accept his award, while talking, with some encouragement from the crowd, he gave his commitment to the Tigers. The Michigan coach got up, never seen I guy so pissed off at a Hooters! 
To add, Cannon could have been a comedian, the guy had some great stories. 

• Like 1